Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

I wouldn't. It's bad as a rock and bad as an untap.

It's good in my jank Vazi deck where I want to untap her a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Johnny Truant posted:

What the gently caress

I mean, maybe it was gaslighting, but before the break I was talking with Lunch about how the episodes with Posty seemed off with Joe near the end and he mentioned that there was no love between Brian and Joe. It was noted that he was brought to tears over a card game and it was a big fight.

E: I guess it should go without saying that I would be floored to ever see Joe working with Prof. again.

I do still hope for another Post and Prof collaboration.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 6, 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Batterypowered7 posted:

I know the thread is generally really mild on 3CMC mana rocks, but what do you guys think about http://mythicspoiler.com/clb/cards/vexingpuzzlebox.html

Is the tutor ability just too slow?

If you can roll *only* 20s on every single roll, it's still a six turn tutor and that's bad.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Aranan posted:

If you can roll *only* 20s on every single roll, it's still a six turn tutor and that's bad.

Are there even enough 'good' rolling cards for EDH?

Even with Pixie Guide allowing you to roll twice per...

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Obvs you gotta spend card slots on ways to untap it instead of just making your deck better in other ways.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aranan posted:

It's for a gimmick dice deck, for which, it's okay. Some of the dice cards are bonkers if you get a 20. I built a Galazeth deck that just untaps the Wizards spell book over and over hoping for a 20.

No, a 3 mana rock that in theory is a tutor at some point probably isn't "good". But you know you're gonna put it in your deck anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

I know the thread is generally really mild on 3CMC mana rocks, but what do you guys think about http://mythicspoiler.com/clb/cards/vexingpuzzlebox.html

I would only consider it if the commander is Vrondiss, who produces 5/4s on any die roll. Somewhat niche.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZjV_B489uw&t=546s

Prof had some decent ideas about it, sounds like some fun casual janky stuff.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I mean, maybe it was gaslighting, but before the break I was talking with Lunch about how the episodes with Posty seemed off with Joe near the end and he mentioned that there was no love between Brian and Joe. It was noted that he was brought to tears over a card game and it was a big fight.

E: I guess it should go without saying that I would be floored to ever see Joe working with Prof. again.

I do still hope for another Post and Prof collaboration.

That had to have been before Prof and Joe did a video together about Rule 0 that was posted about 9 months ago.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 7, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZjV_B489uw&t=546s

Prof had some decent ideas about it, sounds like some fun casual janky stuff.

That had to have been before Prof and Joe did a video together about Rule 0 that was posted about 9 months ago.

Wtf 75% of these are draft leavings and 1 more is a hard medium.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

So I brought up playing against a person whose deck revolved around creating endlessly repeating loops so that the game had to be ended in a draw. I also know a lot of people in the thread really emhpasize that everyone should be playing to win. How would you guys feel about playing against a deck like that, where they've "won" by forcing the game to end but nobody actually lost?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

So I brought up playing against a person whose deck revolved around creating endlessly repeating loops so that the game had to be ended in a draw. I also know a lot of people in the thread really emhpasize that everyone should be playing to win. How would you guys feel about playing against a deck like that, where they've "won" by forcing the game to end but nobody actually lost?

I would not play magic with that person unless they make it really fun or interesting in some way.

It sounds like they're just a massive rear end in a top hat.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like bullshit I wouldn't let fly. Tbh if you turn a game into an infinite, unbreakable loop that doesn't win you the game or cause a change in board state, you immediately lose.

It's not like a hardlocked board state either. At least that has a deterministic end-- everyone would deck out eventually.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t see that as being appreciably different from being an alt win con, but also any “draw the game” combo tends to be fiddly and inter-actable. If you lose to that you almost certainly would’ve lost to basically anything else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If outside of a tournament setting you might as well just treat that as a win, because the difference between a win and a draw doesn't really matter.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The way I see it is that if the combo leads to a changing board state that, with enough iterations, would cause a game ending state, it's valid. But if it doesn't do anything, and won't do anything even with an infinity of iterations, it's no good.

Suppose you have a Freed From The Real on a Birds of Paradise. You could, if you wish, tap and untap it infinitely and it does absolutely nothing. You'd get called out for slow play. What makes a combo that couldn't be stopped any different? It can't win, it's unbreakable slow play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well in your example, the player could simply choose to stop, but a draw is a state in which no game actions can further be taken, which is different.

I’d probably put up with the gimmick for a few nights and then opt out when it got annoying

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Framboise posted:

The way I see it is that if the combo leads to a changing board state that, with enough iterations, would cause a game ending state, it's valid. But if it doesn't do anything, and won't do anything even with an infinity of iterations, it's no good.

Suppose you have a Freed From The Real on a Birds of Paradise. You could, if you wish, tap and untap it infinitely and it does absolutely nothing. You'd get called out for slow play. What makes a combo that couldn't be stopped any different? It can't win, it's unbreakable slow play.

I'm assuming we're discussing something like Worldgorger Dragon + Animate dead with no other creatures in graveyards. Or Eloise + March of the Machines. If nobody has an interaction the game state always creates a trigger that leads back to the game state with no other choices possible. It can happen organically and be interacted with usually, but some of them are fairly easy to pull off if that is your goal.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm assuming we're discussing something like Worldgorger Dragon + Animate dead with no other creatures in graveyards. Or Eloise + March of the Machines. If nobody has an interaction the game state always creates a trigger that leads back to the game state with no other choices possible. It can happen organically and be interacted with usually, but some of them are fairly easy to pull off if that is your goal.

The combo I remember is playing a land while you control a green dude that makes Saprolings when a land ETB under your control (not a may) and you also have an enchantment that makes all creatures lands. You make endless Saprolings and there's no way to break out of the loop unless someone has some interaction.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
If it's an infinite that the deck is built to get to then they win. They executed their plan, and got to the end game state they wanted. The fact the infinite combo technically causes a draw not a win is whatever. I sincerely doubt those combos are significantly easier to pull off than many of the "go infinite and win" combos. I'm not going to have object to someone sitting down with that in mind.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Well in your example, the player could simply choose to stop, but a draw is a state in which no game actions can further be taken, which is different.

I’d probably put up with the gimmick for a few nights and then opt out when it got annoying

What I'm trying to say is that if a player chose to repeat an unbounded combo an un-ending number of times without affecting the game state, they'd certainly get a judge call for slow play.

In the situation of an unbreakable infinite combo causing a complete game stall without affecting the board state, I don't see how it's different-- it's still a combo that does not advance the game to a win or a loss. It's not a win, it's infinite slow play in my perspective.

But that's just my perspective.

That being said, I looked it up.

quote:

"104.4b If a game that's not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a "loop" of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don't result in a draw."

So it's definitely a draw per the rules and not something I'd declare a win-- especially since it forced the game into an unwinnable and unloseable state.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If you think you are losing and intentionally cause an infinite-loop draw, then that's a legit way to avoid losing. If you begin the game and set out to cause an infinite-loop draw, you're an rear end in a top hat.

MissMarple posted:

If it's an infinite that the deck is built to get to then they win. . . . technically causes a draw not a win. . .

uhh you see the contradiction there? it's not a win if it's not a win. you're arguing against a tautology

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
also: if there's an infinite loop of two players choosing something, (Such as with Illicit Auction) the active player is obligated to break the loop, even if that would result in them losing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you think you are losing and intentionally cause an infinite-loop draw, then that's a legit way to avoid losing. If you begin the game and set out to cause an infinite-loop draw, you're an rear end in a top hat.

uhh you see the contradiction there? it's not a win if it's not a win. you're arguing against a tautology

Not a real victory. Like, you accomplished what you set out to do, so you're a winner in your heart.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Let's say you wanted to make a deck to sit down at a table that's sub-cedh. You want to encourage stuff to happen, prevent board stalls, and keep the game from going 20 turns. What's the route you would take? I've gone for a black/red forced combat deck but I imagine there are other approaches that could work just as well if not better.

Also, I'm not sure how many people frequent the SA-mart MTG thread, buuuuut... I predominantly have been playing EDH for the past few years and I'm selling a chunk of stuff. Do you want some fetches, imperial seal, or smothering tithe? I got you.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Aranan posted:

You want to encourage stuff to happen, prevent board stalls, and keep the game from going 20 turns.

You win. You literally play cards that make you win. You don't need to be CEDH tier to just play cards that kill the other people.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Toshimo posted:

You win. You literally play cards that make you win. You don't need to be CEDH tier to just play cards that kill the other people.

Well yeah, I know that. Most of the decks I play do exactly that. I also play in a playgroup full of people who have barely upgraded precon level decks. It's not normally my jam, but they're my friends and I like playing with them so I try to have one or two decks that can play around in that level.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Aranan posted:

Well yeah, I know that. Most of the decks I play do exactly that. I also play in a playgroup full of people who have barely upgraded precon level decks. It's not normally my jam, but they're my friends and I like playing with them so I try to have one or two decks that can play around in that level.

I made a thantis deck with a ton of ramp and giant creatures like sheoldred that I hard cast.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

DontMockMySmock posted:

Either way is "I assembled the pieces of an engine that means the game ends now". They built the deck with the intent of achieving that. If they do what they wanted to and end the game their deck "won". If there's some points or prizes or whatever on the line then that's different but if it's just Commander night I'm not gonna sit there and think that person is an rear end in a top hat. I'd expect it to come up in the pregame though, and if their way of doing it is just super easy and cheap then I'll probably give them feedback that's it's not a fun conclusion to a game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PSA: small-to-medium tier Commander Content Creator “Create Commander” is self immolating due to saying a bunch of transphobic poo poo and claiming they he can’t make content anymore because of their conservative views.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

PSA: small-to-medium tier Commander Content Creator “Create Commander” is self immolating due to saying a bunch of transphobic poo poo and claiming they he can’t make content anymore because of their conservative views.

So did he also announce a book tour?

I joke, but gently caress every transphobe with a Sandstone Deadfall.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Like even if they don’t get trans stuff, the fact that the conversation chuds have isn’t around how to support people being comfortable in their own skin and instead doing everything they can to dunk on people different than them is lame. If the first thing out of someone’s mouth when someone brings up a topic or hobby is a deluge of reasons why the thing sucks, it is the mark of an immature person. When the topic is human rights, it’s the mark of a lovely person.

I was a shitlord 4chan shock jock libertarian in high school at 15 years old but that was in 2004 and I know firsthand that personal growth takes time. In 2022 as an adult with access to unlimited information in the new age of the internet and an eclectic fan base for your content, there really isn’t much of an excuse. If Violent J of Insane Clown Posse has more progressive views on lgbt than you do then you need to reevaluate what kind of presence you’re projecting for others to consume

Aluren and Cloudstone Curio in Arcades owns btw

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

pseudanonymous posted:

I made a thantis deck with a ton of ramp and giant creatures like sheoldred that I hard cast.

This is actually the evolution of my Thantis deck. She was pretty cool but I wanted to cut down to two colors.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hit up a LGS in Honolulu yesterday. They had a Mystic Intellect for $85 and because I'm away from home and bored and lonely and depressed, I grabbed it along with a prerelease box. Picked up some nice stuff for my Prosper deck. Descend into Avernus, Tavern Brawler, a foil Ingenious Artillerist. Not to mention the Dockside Extortionist that is the only reason Mystic Intellect costs that much.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Aranan posted:

Maybe a Torbran group slug deck, just with lots of low power effects?

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Partner commanders plus lots of backgrounds sounds kind of fun, as kind of a more resilient voltron, but I don't really see many partners that work with backgrounds?

Yoshimaru is okay since backgrounds are legendary, and you probably want Kediss if you're going for commander damage, but then you're locked into the w/r backgrounds of which there's only like 5 you'd actually want to use.

Any other ideas?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

I feel like I'm always repeating myself, but Gargos fight club is a good mid power deck for casual tables. Just jam ol' Gargles and a bunch of fight/bite/protection spells that target your dudes, a few synergistic cards like Season of Growth and big dumb creatures that can help with the strategy of "nah gently caress your creatures son", like thorn mammoth, hungering and ironscale hydra

Best part is you can toss together a fully functional version for like $20 or less

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bought a Baldur’s Gate prerelease kit to open, and what I have learned is this: I really like the foil versions of the rulebook art common Diamonds.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Silhouette posted:

I feel like I'm always repeating myself, but Gargos fight club is a good mid power deck for casual tables. Just jam ol' Gargles and a bunch of fight/bite/protection spells that target your dudes, a few synergistic cards like Season of Growth and big dumb creatures that can help with the strategy of "nah gently caress your creatures son", like thorn mammoth, hungering and ironscale hydra

Best part is you can toss together a fully functional version for like $20 or less

That's pretty dumb and amusing. In a good way. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, it's my favorite edh deck to play when I don't feel like thinking too hard :v:

Also talking about it reminded me that I need to upgrade a few of the spells in it with newer ones, because I haven't bought anything since AFR so the deck could definitely use Prizefight, Tamiyo's Protection and Clear Shot over a few of the older, less than stellar fight spells

Edit: also don't forget to jam a Reflective Golem in the deck, it's innocuous enough that almost nobody knows what the hell it is, so you can surprise boardwipe with a prey upon and some extra mana floating :)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 8, 2022