Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i was thinking about new colossus the entire time lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you kill Hitler in wolfenstein 2 you get a game over.

TIME PARADOX

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

If you kill Hitler in wolfenstein 2 you get a game over.

in fairness, that happened to the guy who killed him irl

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
19. Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin (Action, Dark Knight + Void Knight)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life (x2 successful playthroughs)
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2

Not bad, basically just more of the same snipey action that's in SGWC, just with a slightly longer name and more longer-range shooting, since you can now shoot enemies up to around 1300-1400m away. (IIRC SGWC just had up to 1000m as the very upper cap. Lots of 1km+ shooting in this one) Good fun, and about as long as the previous game. One gripe though, is that it always seemed like there was an "anti-drone tower" nearby whenever using the drone would actually be helpful, so I very rarely actually used the drat thing this time around.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

8). Triangle Strategy - Morality Ending, Hard.

drat good. Most modern SRPGS that I've played range from bad to just okay so it's a blast to play one that gets it. Most units are viable and interesting, characters aren't deep but have interesting moments especially in little vignettes, and the plot is a decent story about warring over resources. I thought Elden Ring would be the only game I replay several times this year but I'm going to get all the other endings for this bad boy.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF7 remake Intermission. Kickass DLC

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve still got the DLC case to do but I just wrapped the main story of Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies. Great game, it challenges AA3 as my favorite game in the series so far though I think 3 still keeps the title. The cases were shorter than in other games I think but they were dense with plot twists to make up for it and it kept me constantly guessing.

The transition to 3D was done perfectly with all the charm intact and the new characters were great—Blackquill was a really fun prosecutor and Athena was a fantastic addition, both as a character (having a hotheaded defense attorney was a fun balance/foil to Phoenix and Apollo) and in gameplay as I really enjoyed her mood matrix gimmick, a lot more than Phoenix’s psyche-lock thing (which is fine but not really any different from a normal cross-examination) or Apollo’s body-language gimmick

My only real complaint is that there’s a stretch of the game that’s just riddled with typos and grammatical errors which is really distracting in a game that’s like 90% text. Other than that it was a great experience beginning to end, I’m looking forward to doing the DLC case and then moving on to Spirit of Justice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SoJ is even better. Hell it might be my favorite in the series.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I love Spirit of Justice

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dicey Dungeons (beat Lady Luck)

I was really surprised how long this held my interest. You have to do 36 playthroughs (6 modes on 6 characters each) to get to the main ending but the vast majority of them actually felt meaningfully different and led to really surprising and cool builds and stuff. Also the writing is surprisingly funny. A couple runs felt too dependent on RNG but overall really impressive game.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[25] Dwarf Fortress (PC) 6/5/22

Review:
Did a 15 year fort. The game is one of the best games ever made. You owe it to yourself to give some time to this. Just press every button and see what happens.

10/10

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
"Tomba!" for the ps1, 100% quests. controls could be a little tighter and some of the objectives are too obtuse but i still love this game

copy
Jul 26, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

"Tomba!" for the ps1, 100% quests. controls could be a little tighter and some of the objectives are too obtuse but i still love this game

tomba and tomba 2 rule

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1. Returnal (True ending):
2. Katamari Damacy:
3. The Last of Us 2:
4. Demon Souls Remake:
5. Elden Ring:
6. Marvel's Spider-Man: Really enjoyed this after going into it just expecting to have a fun time swinging around. A lot of Spider-Man games don't make traversal a highlight when it should be one of the main focuses of every Spider-Man game. I normally hate collectibles in open world games but they were fun to get in this because most of my enjoyment came from swinging around the city and collectibles gave it some direction. I liked that the smaller collectibles highlighted but I think stuff like the landscape photographs should have required a bit of effort to figure out. You also unlock a set of secret photograph sites that work like that and they're great. However you only get this at max level at the end of the game which is stupid. It should have been available at the start so you can work on them as you do other stuff.

The combat was pretty fun for the most part too. As games that crib the Arkham series free flow combat go I think it did a good job. It doesn't have the absurdly satisfying rhythm of that engine but has a lot of variation with all of Spider-Mans moves so it felt really fast paced and fun. Spider-sense dodging also works really well. One think I prefer about it to the Arkham games is that Spider-Man doesn't feel different in and out of combat whereas batman goes from super lithe and balletic in combat to feeling like I'm driving an army tank in regular gameplay. I also liked that I could always manoeuvre and climb over stuff or access areas with my full range of traversal moves from the start. I never felt thwarted by like a small chainlink fence or something because I don't have the bolt cutters skill yet.

I liked the Taskmaster challenges a lot, going for Ultimate in them really pushed all the gameplay styles to their limit. Combat has too many gadgets when you only ever need the basic and super web moves. However the ultimate combat challenges made me rely on every gadget and move to max my combo and avoid damage. The traversal challenges really pushed the movement to the limit too and took a lot of really tight controlling and understanding exactly how the web swinging mechanics and other moves worked. The stealth challenges were bad and the stealth in the game is generally pretty dull. I do like that you can just say gently caress it and start throwing hands whenever you want though. I wish the missions in game pushed you as hard as those challenges did though, or at least more than they did. I was playing on the hardest mode and nothing outside of those optional gold medal challenges pushed me really.

The story was pretty standard comic book fare I think but this is probably my favourite incarnation of Peter/Spider-Man in any non-comics adaption. They just got everything right and Yuri Lowenthal did great in the role. Most of the story was good but rote however I thought the final few story missions and particularly the final major story beat was really really good.

it's a good game folks.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life (x2 successful playthroughs)
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
6) Armoured Commander II

This is a pretty good classic ASCII style roguelike, but with the twist that you're a tank commander in WW2. I've been trying Italian campaigns, and my latest attempt was successful! I finished the campaign earning the top award (medal for military valor, or something similar) and racked ip a lot of kills.
...also a lot of hospital time and tanks. Boy I went through a LOT of tanks! My commander was lucky enough to survive every time, however my driver (I use the lovely two man L6/40) typically ended up badly hurt or dead.

Also uh, the campaign I happened to complete was... the Italian invasion of Ukraine...so...yeah maybe just ignore that bit! :D But anyway, I'm starting a new campaign with the same character (basically just NG+ if your guy survives, since it's all random gen anyway) and the next campaign in line is...the advance to Stalingrad. Oh boy. (For comparison, the Ukraine campaign was hard - rated 8/10. Stalingrad is 10/10. Most of the British and US campaigns are a bunch easier, seeing as they actually have good tanks!)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watch out for that sly dog Zhukov, Major!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Watch out for that sly dog Zhukov, Major!

Will do! o7
And I've got a good feeling about Stalingrad. I think ingame it's July 1942, so the weather isn't too bad out here. I reckon we can just push through and sort 'em out before Christmas! ...right? :D

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
4. Triangle Strategy (Update)

Finished two more times, currently doing the true ending route on NG++ hard mode. Still having a blast, the game's amazing and I strongly recommend it if you like tactics RPGs at all.

5. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
6. Trials of Mana (2020 Remake)

Thought this might be a nice chill-out game to play in between Triangle Strategy playthroughs. I finished it but I ended up pretty cold on it. It was fine enough but the story presentation was pretty bad and I found the combat sort of frustrating towards the end--it got old continually reviving my AI teammates because they refused to dodge anything.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Harrow posted:

Finished two more times, currently doing the true ending route on NG++ hard mode. Still having a blast, the game's amazing and I strongly recommend it if you like tactics RPGs at all.

It’s so loving sick, best recent example of the genre I’ve played imo

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Harrow posted:

1. Yakuza 0
2. Elden Ring
3. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

How long is a typical playthrough?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sir Dingleby Dapper posted:

How long is a typical playthrough?

Took me about 50 hours for the first playthrough, probably about half the time for subsequent playthroughs because you can skip scenes you've already watched and just focus on the new scenes you get in different paths. My save file's at 90ish hours now about halfway into my fourth run. That number might also be a little inflated because of the time I spent getting every unit to max level and upgrading their weapons for the hell of it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

1) .hack//G.U. Last Recode
2) Dying Light
3) Lego DC Super-Villains
4) 20XX
5) Hitman 1
6) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
7) Demoncrawl
8) Binary Domain
9) Hitman 2
10) Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2021)
11) Saint's Row 4
12) Just Cause 4
13) Shovel Knight, Shovel of Hope campaign.
14) Mortal Kombat X story mode
15) Nioh
16) Max Payne 3
17) Soul Calibur 6
18) Sniper Elite 4
19) Zombie Army 4: Dead War
20) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
21) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
22) Transformers: Devastation
23) Castlevania: Dracula X
24) Bulletstorm
25) Wolfenstein: The New Order
26) Strike Vector EX

Third person plane/mech combat with a very boring campaign. The gameplay and controls are solid though, and even if the multiplayer is dead at least they fill the matches with Bots. Seems like it would have been some chaotic fun in its heyday

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Shadow of the Colossus Remake (plat)

Took me a week to beat it, a month to clear Colossus #3's time trials, and a year+ of occasionally grinding out the first two colossi to max out stamina. Some people allegedly didn't like this but I didn't really notice anything different from the earlier versions, still the king of games. 5/5

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lost in Random

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video
6. The King of Chicago (Amiga, one of the good endings)
7. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (63%)
8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
9. Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicom, Ayako, Saki, Rei and Forever Alone endings)
10. Mother 3 - review
11. Wario World - review
12. Soul Blazer
13. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
14. Dark Souls 3
15. Helltaker

Kinda feel like I shouldn't even count this because of short it was, but it was a neat little game with cute character designs.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
radical dreamers (in chrono cross remaster) got all seven endings

copy
Jul 26, 2007

mycophobia posted:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Axelay (Normal 1CC)
3. Ninja Ryukenden III: Yomi no Hakobune (1CC)
4. Metroid Prime (63%, 6:49)
5. Tetris the Absolute: The Grand Master 2 PLUS - Master mode Gm (Green line) - video
6. The King of Chicago (Amiga, one of the good endings)
7. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (63%)
8. Yakuza Kiwami 2
9. Tokimeki Memorial (Super Famicom, Ayako, Saki, Rei and Forever Alone endings)
10. Mother 3 - review
11. Wario World - review
12. Soul Blazer
13. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

yo gently caress yeah eternal darkness rules hard

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
It's good. Have you read the game club thread op?

copy
Jul 26, 2007

last i read it i found out about that dating sim that turned out to be like the most hardcore time management sim ive ever played. felt like i missed the boat on getting in the club though. looking forward to more people playing Eternal Darkness; that game's a treasure. everybody gonna just have that magic voice guy chanting PARGON stuck in their head from every time they cast a seven circle heal spell by the end lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
tokimemo ftw

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

copy posted:

last i read it i found out about that dating sim that turned out to be like the most hardcore time management sim ive ever played. felt like i missed the boat on getting in the club though. looking forward to more people playing Eternal Darkness; that game's a treasure. everybody gonna just have that magic voice guy chanting PARGON stuck in their head from every time they cast a seven circle heal spell by the end lol

nah just bookmark the thread and jump in next time there's a game that you're interested in playing. i missed the first few games and have skipped a few others but it's still fun.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

claim that trophy dude you earned it

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

tokimemo ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

tokimemo ftw

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

elf help book posted:

tokimemo ftw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

tokimemo ftw

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

1) .hack//G.U. Last Recode
2) Dying Light
3) Lego DC Super-Villains
4) 20XX
5) Hitman 1
6) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
7) Demoncrawl
8) Binary Domain
9) Hitman 2
10) Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2021)
11) Saint's Row 4
12) Just Cause 4
13) Shovel Knight, Shovel of Hope campaign.
14) Mortal Kombat X story mode
15) Nioh
16) Max Payne 3
17) Soul Calibur 6
18) Sniper Elite 4
19) Zombie Army 4: Dead War
20) Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
21) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
22) Transformers: Devastation
23) Castlevania: Dracula X
24) Bulletstorm
25) Wolfenstein: The New Order
26) Strike Vector EX
27) Vanquish

A fantastic ride, A+ shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Pretty much perfect. Maybe my only nitpick is the camera loved to burrow into the geometry. But I loved literally everything else. Short, too. More games should be short.