Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

hakone green was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Special editions of the twins are like a dime a dozen if they continue the trend. The previous gen had one like every year.

My Series.Blue. is one of 500. But they did 1 of 500 models every year for like the entire run.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I hope they make a Hakone Green Mk5 Supra, 500 units or not.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah I saw a green GR/BR a couple weeks ago and it's pretty much a perfect color in person. Definitely on my list of modern colors that don't suck.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only way the Hakone edition would be better is if they didn't half-rear end it with the brown interior :argh:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Special editions of the twins are like a dime a dozen if they continue the trend. The previous gen had one like every year.

My Series.Blue. is one of 500. But they did 1 of 500 models every year for like the entire run.

Yes this is how it works for low volume cars.

I really like that solar orange.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sab669 posted:

Only way the Hakone edition would be better is if they didn't half-rear end it with the brown interior :argh:

are you asking for more brown on the inside, in which case: i agree

the wing is not ideal but i would just take it off

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Always more brown.

I want it to look like this:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I'd like to replace my seats with all brown ones eventually.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sab669 posted:

Always more brown.

I want it to look like this:

Ah, Porsche, the secret makers of the most perfect high-power wagon you can get in all the browns inside and out :allears:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

bij posted:

The 2023 GR86 Special Edition is a Premium with pumpkin paint and an angrier sounding exhaust - whether I hate it depends on much of a premium the "special" tacks on. They're making 850 of them so I don't imagine they will be obtainable.

someone around here who has one wrapped in a pretty similar color; looks sick

partial to some of those pastel-adjacent colors on the GR86/BRZ

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've got one of the 1 of 500 Hyperblue editions, but only because I couldn't find a Hakone for sale :( Best color.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I guess technically there was 1000 Series.Blue. 2015 BRZs, but half of them were white (why Subaru thought that made sense, I'll never know.)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KakerMix posted:

Ah, Porsche, the secret makers of the most perfect high-power wagon you can get in all the browns inside and out :allears:

Mamba green taycan sport tourismo is the perfect car.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

BlackMK4 posted:

I've got one of the 1 of 500 Hyperblue editions, but only because I couldn't find a Hakone for sale :( Best color.

I got rid of my Hyperblue back in late 2020 and really want another twin. I think I'm going to wait patiently until they release a performance package with Brembo brakes, etc. It's gotta be inevitable.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

antimatt posted:

I got rid of my Hyperblue back in late 2020 and really want another twin. I think I'm going to wait patiently until they release a performance package with Brembo brakes, etc. It's gotta be inevitable.

the old performance package brakes can be retrofitted on the new twins

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Next-gen CarPlay can even replace your gauge cluster and do climate control etc.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1533868619221835776

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Ngl, that makes me loving terrified.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
With a semiconductor shortage, may as well outsource the processing power to the phone :P

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Ngl, that makes me loving terrified.

….why?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

I'm in your phone hacking your HUD

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cell phones are famous for being extremely reliable and never freezing or crashing ever

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If it’s like CarPlay now, it should fail over to the default display.

This is my limited experience with CarPlay.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Next-gen CarPlay can even replace your gauge cluster and do climate control etc.

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1533868619221835776

I feel pretty good I will never get another new car and hence never have that poo poo in my car

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car? At what point do you become used to having pointless options in a vehicle? I feel like manufacturers are just shoehorning in as many features as possible just to say they have them. Apparently something like 69% of US car buyers demand apple car play and I'm just a bit stunned that's even a requirement for some people.

*edit: ya boy was wrong

https://twitter.com/dennieredwards/status/1533867683535519745?t=liOXsM2gy7JBtZEyxUNwuQ&s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 7, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I horribly miss Android Auto after having it in a rental for only 5 days.
Keyless entry / ignition are also hugely underrated and it's annoying having to grab that out of my pocket like a loving caveman
A lack of Heated seats is an instant disqualifier from my shopping list.

I don't miss a backup cam nearly as much as I thought I would; visibility out of the E91 is leagues ahead of the FoRS or FiST.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car?

1) Backup camera / side cameras. They are just plain useful
2) Advanced Cruise Control. That poo poo make long distance driving so much more relaxing

Outside of scope of question minimums - Does not have a BMW or GM badge.

Bonus points if it does NOT have Android Auto or CarFail.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car? At what point do you become used to having pointless options in a vehicle? I feel like manufacturers are just shoehorning in as many features as possible just to say they have them. Apparently something like 69% of US car buyers demand apple car play and I'm just a bit stunned that's even a requirement for some people.

https://twitter.com/dennieredwards/status/1533867683535519745?t=liOXsM2gy7JBtZEyxUNwuQ&s=19
Android Auto
Keyless entry

You can call auto a safety thing due to voice commands, but it's mostly a convenience thing. Keyless entry is totally a convenience thing. But both are hard requirements for my next. I really really wish I hadn't turned in my leased truck, but there were good reasons I did so. Buying a replacement is gonna cost $15k/35% more than if I'd bought out the lease, but we didn't have a good way to get it across the country with us, was hard enough driving one across the country with a 2 month old while sharing driving duties.

Adaptive cruise is great, but not a hard requirement for me. Backup camera, yeah, but that's a regulatory requirement at this point.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 7, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car?

• Enough power to not be unsafe on motorways
  • A gearbox that doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me
  • A/C
  • Radio with Bluetooth or 3.5mm input and decent sound quality

As long as I can get some cool air in my face and blast some tunes, I'll be fine.

That's about it for the bare minimum. (Active) cruise control, various cameras and so on are nice to have, but not mandatory.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

About 500 horsepower

... That's what you meant, right?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Carplay is great, there is no way I would get a new car without it. Also keyless entry and push to start is such a great convenience. And not even having to remove your keys and just press the handle to lock and unlock is a nice feature that I would look for again.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

After suffering through horrendous OEM nav systems, CarPlay with Google Maps is a revelation.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Things I want:

Interesting powertrain* that sounds cool when working hard
Reputation for sterling reliability
Widespread parts availability and minimal roadblocks to DIY service (no Tesla, no Subaru and its dreadful response to right to repair legislation)
Discrete radio that I can remove and replace with something to my liking
Excellent rear visibility via windows and mirrors
Four-wheel disc brakes
Rear doors for child seat access (all doors must open the boring, normal way)
Competitive crash safety ratings
Comfortable front seats
Quality carpet that does not act like velcro (a lot of new cars have trash-grade uncleanable velcro carpet)
Fully independent suspension
Power windows, mirrors, locks
Cruise control

Am I going to get even half of these things in a new car? Probably not. I held on to a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for like six years because I was holding out for a new phone with a nice screen and an easily swappable battery. My patience did not pay off and I ended up with a "flagship" LG phone (V30 or something like that) that I never liked.

* this could mean something very torquey with little or no transmission interaction like an EV or a diesel, or something with a lot of peak power and a manual transmission. No CVTs allowed except the Toyota hybrid units.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I don't miss a backup cam nearly as much as I thought I would; visibility out of the E91 is leagues ahead of the FoRS or FiST.

I was ready for the FoST because my car before also had lovely vis and turning radius

-MT or AT that wasn't programmed by an invertebrate
-Bluetooth connection/call handling

Everything else is almost impossible to NOT get on a (non-fleet/rental) car in the US including the backup cam as of... 2015? Backup cam is a car-to-car thing but visibility is worse than 20 years ago it seems

If the seats are leather/faux leather those things have gotta be heated otherwise I really don't care

I would prefer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto to whatever poo poo the OEMs have cooked up for infotainment so I'll be on the lookout for it next time around for sure but still not really close to "deal breaker" for me

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 7, 2022

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Carplay/Android Auto is a super cheap thing that OEMs include in base stripper models of cars now. The tech companies won this fight. Like 8 years ago we had people ITT talking about how terrible OEM infotainment/nav systems are and how we should just have a dummy terminal that clones your phone display.

That's exactly what happened and when the OEMs gave in, it freed them up to focus on making cars and not wasting time on tech interfaces. You already use your phone for everything, so just make it easy to integrate into your vehicle so you can do stuff like continue your calls, listen to music or navigate using a superior GPS system that updates in real time and doesn't need an expensive SD card update every few years. We're long past the days where people don't have phones or smart phones that they'd need satnav and XM Radio functionality in their cars. Now it's all about streaming your favorite streaming service via data which is ubiquitous in most countries.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 7, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I strongly suspect "79% of US buyers only consider CarPlay capable cars" is a misleading reverse engineering of car buyer data to make it look like that's a primary factor.

Carplay/Android Auto is pretty ubiquitous across manufacturer's now, and I can't even think of any that still don't support at least one of them other than Tesla. Basically 79% of car buyers only consider brands A, B, C and D, which happen to have CarPlay. The other 21% of US car buys will also consider brands Y and Z which somehow still haven't managed to modernize their infotainment systems, among other potential problems.

Carplay/Android Auto is a deal breaker for me and lots of people, but the average car buying age is 53. I really doubt most people buying new cars even know it exists.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not having CarPlay would be a deal breaker for me. Hell, now that I have it I wouldn't give up wireless CarPlay either.

My parents have older vehicles. My Dad has a Ford with Sync 1 that has degraded and often won't connect to phones anymore and my mom has a Mazda with nothing! Not even Bluetooth or USB! And it's a not that old: 2009. Anytime I drive their cars it is terrible because I can't use Nav or listen to anything besides FM radio.

Also they don't have backup cameras and it always freaks me out that I need to turn my head around to look out the tiny back windows instead of a nice big camera view.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That nobody has said 'crotch vent' is slightly concerning. The single best invention for a car, ever. Combined with AC for supreme testicular comfort.

KozmoNaut posted:

• Enough power to not be unsafe on motorways
  • A gearbox that doesn't annoy the poo poo out of me
  • A/C
  • Radio with Bluetooth or 3.5mm input and decent sound quality

As long as I can get some cool air in my face and blast some tunes, I'll be fine.

And that's pretty much where I've ended up. I've spent the last 7 months dailying a motorbike so it has kinda readjusted what I feel like I actually require.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 7, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

We've got a brand new Volvo V60, all the lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, Android Auto, comfortable, quiet, quick, spacious on account of it being a wagon, pretty, red even.

I will STILL grab the keys to any of the (nice) diesel Land Cruisers or Hiluxes we have that are at newest 1996. Those are all manual transmission, diesel, but do have AC. It's never a for sure thing we take the Volvo unless we are doing aong stretch on the highway.

The Volvo is nice but it's distant and screamy. It beeps at you for a ton of things especially when your maneuvering around in close quarters which makes it so you are on edge all the time. Then you get out and look and you still have a ton of space you could have moved into had you been able to get comfortable with the size of the thing before is just beeps. I can not get an accurate grasp on the size of it and where my corners are because the fat size of the no zones on it make it a foot larger on all sizes than it is. I can't get it to stop 100% smoothly without the little jerk on the end because of some sort of setup with the brakes. Visibility is poor which is just how things are vs the 90s but still bugs me. It isn't even that fuel efficient considering it's getting us 24 mpg where the already mentioned old diesel trucks will do 18 mpg easy.

Essentially I don't regret this Volvo but I am done with new ICE cars I think. The Corolla GR would be cool but not as cool as the dealer gauntlet will be. Keep driving cool old poo poo that will leave me alone to enjoy it and get something pure electric that is a fundamentally different experience for appliance driving.

So to answer your question: must be pure electric. That's my new car requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

It isn't even that fuel efficient considering it's getting us 24 mpg where the already mentioned old diesel trucks will do 18 mpg easy.

18 mpg is pretty bad tho, even more so considering the relatively meager horsepower.