Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Today's haul:

The Jens Lekman re-recording of Night Falls Over Kortedala The Linden Trees Are Still in Blossom was a surprised because Amazon didn't tell me it had shipped.

The rest I got from one seller on discogs who had a bunch of out of print records priced for $20 or $25, and only charged $5 for shipping.

St Vincent Self Titled
Alabama Shakes Sound and Color
Bon Iver For Emma Forever Ago
Gorillaz Self Titled
Menomena Friend and Foe

And then he included this random German record, no idea what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nihonniboku posted:

Today's haul:

The Jens Lekman re-recording of Night Falls Over Kortedala The Linden Trees Are Still in Blossom was a surprised because Amazon didn't tell me it had shipped.

The rest I got from one seller on discogs who had a bunch of out of print records priced for $20 or $25, and only charged $5 for shipping.

St Vincent Self Titled
Bon Iver For Emma Forever Ago
Gorillaz Self Titled
Menomena Friend and Foe

And then he included this random German record, no idea what it is.

Nice haul!

I like that Menomena record, it's a lot of fun.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CaptainBeefart posted:

Nice haul!

I like that Menomena record, it's a lot of fun.

I love Menomena. It's too bad they broke up. I wasn't really interested in any of their solo works.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nihonniboku posted:

Today's haul:

I loving LOVE Alabama Shakes (they're from near my home town!), nice score!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

This arrived today without warning and it sounds immaculate

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My father recently gave me his old hifi, TT, amps, speakers, the lot. I had to recap everything to get it behaving and replace the output cables on the turntable but it's all working and accounted for now

It's a Denon DP-57L along with a Luxman C-02 and M-02 pre and amp, and Acoustic Research AR91 speakers. So far I'm making my way through my extensive inherited Elton John collection and let me tell you, I'm having a great time.

I've already got my discogs set up and an extensive wishlist going so, guess I'm all in on another analogue hobby.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 7, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That is one helluva platter :eyepop:

I don't actually know what that spaceship-looking part is called. I was gonna say plinth but the plinth is the base part. Anyway it looks cool as hell and welcome to the worst and most expensive hobby that will drain the money from your wallet

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megabound posted:

My father recently gave me his old hifi, TT, amps, speakers, the lot. I had to recap everything to get it behaving and replace the output cables on the turntable but it's all working and accounted for now

It's a Denonn DP-57L along with a Luxman C-02 and M-02 pre and amp, and Acoustic Research AR91 speakers. So far I'm making my way through my extensive inherited Elton John collection and let me tell you, I'm having a great time.

I've already got my discogs set up and an extensive wishlist going so, guess I'm all in on another analogue hobby.

Can I have your luxman gear?

Your dad spent some money on his hi-fi in 1979

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

pwn posted:

That is one helluva platter :eyepop:

I don't actually know what that spaceship-looking part is called. I was gonna say plinth but the plinth is the base part. Anyway it looks cool as hell and welcome to the worst and most expensive hobby that will drain the money from your wallet

Can't be any worse than film photography. It's a unique table and heavy as hell, and as we all know the heavier a thing is the better it is.

BigFactory posted:

Can I have your luxman gear?

Your dad spent some money on his hi-fi in 1979

And I've got the receipts to prove that he was bad with money

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Oh my god that turntable is amazing

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Megabound posted:

Can't be any worse than film photography. It's a unique table and heavy as hell, and as we all know the heavier a thing is the better it is.

And I've got the receipts to prove that he was bad with money

84, I was off.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

amazing. hope you have some UFO records to play on it

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I love this.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
those luxmans (luxmen?) look absolutely stunning, holy poo poo. I wish I could even find them in Brisbane let alone have them gifted to me

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Can you play Simon on this thing?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can play Garfunkel on it too, or anything really

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Simon says "white hot stampers only"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nah play that ELO record instead. You know the one.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
your dad rules

pwn
May 27, 2004

Megabound posted:

Can't be any worse than film photography.

:smith::hf::smith:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

those luxmans (luxmen?) look absolutely stunning, holy poo poo. I wish I could even find them in Brisbane let alone have them gifted to me

Hey Brisbane buddy

Turbinosamente posted:

I've got some ELO in the record collection he gave me, not up to there yet. I've been making my way through his and my mother's albums and going "oh poo poo, I remember this song" a bunch. It's neat, a bunch of my mother's stuff has her name written on the sleeve, with her maiden name, from when she was living in share housing.

It's been an extremely cool way to connect with my parents.

I've also got a technical question, I've got 2 arms for the turntable, a straight and a heavier S. I'm trying to decide which to use, and as far as I can ascertain the S would have been used for low compliance carts that need a heavier tracking force while the straight is for more modern high compliance low tracking force carts, is that correct? Would I see any benefits from using one or the other? It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on any forum I find this question on.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 7, 2022

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Megabound posted:

Hey Brisbane buddy

I've got some ELO in the record collection he gave me, not up to there yet. I've been making my way through his and my mother's albums and going "oh poo poo, I remember this song" a bunch. It's neat, a bunch of my mother's stuff has her name written on the sleeve, with her maiden name, from when she was living in share housing.

It's been an extremely cool way to connect with my parents.

I've also got a technical question, I've got 2 arms for the turntable, a straight and a heavier S. I'm trying to decide which to use, and as far as I can ascertain the S would have been used for low compliance carts that need a heavier tracking force while the straight is for more modern high compliance low tracking force carts, is that correct? Would I see any benefits from using one or the other? It's hard to separate the wheat from the chaff on any forum I find this question on.

I get the impression that it's mostly just an aesthetic preference :shrug: it seems like there are arguments for both but as long as the cartridges are aligned properly it shouldnt make any difference to sound quality?

I have a stack of old records that I either have duplicates of, that I don't like anymore, or whose condition is questionable if you want some freebies to help get you started?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

Clearly it also needs Mothership Connection.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Clearly it also needs Mothership Connection.

Unrelated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyMAu1goIMU

I saw this guy perform in '89.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

I have a stack of old records that I either have duplicates of, that I don't like anymore, or whose condition is questionable if you want some freebies to help get you started?

That'd be extremely kind of you and I'll absolutely take you up on that. I'm currently in isolation but I'll shoot you a PM and we can work something out.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

petit choux posted:

I saw this guy perform in '89.
That's dope as hell. I'm seeing three nights of the Arkestra next week. :toot:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
That's officially the coolest turntable anyone here has.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

That platter was made for Hawkwind's Space Ritual.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That platter was made for Hawkwind's Space Ritual.

Masters of the Universe will have to do. Or some Jefferson Starship.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Megabound posted:

Masters of the Universe will have to do. Or some Jefferson Starship.

A lamentable third place LOL

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Turbinosamente posted:

Fine, I'll do it.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Okay, now do Boston!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

marjorie posted:

Okay, now do Boston!

I don't have that on vinyl, so instead have more Out of the Blue:

Blue vinyl

Clear vinyl

Promo label

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I guess the radio station dropped my new show early. All vinyl funk, soul, and rock mix. Thanks to anyone who gives it a listen.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-34-w-dj-pete-moss/

quote:

Tracklist:

Connie Laverne - Can't Live Without You
Sharron Jones - I Learned the Hard way
Jackie Shane - Any Other Way
Jerry Butler - You Can't Always Tell
Googie Rene Combo - Smokey Joe's Lalala
The Brothers Johnson - Mista Cool
Rose Royce - What You Waitin' For
Raphael Saadiq - Heart Attack
The Two Things In One - Confusion (Later Version)
Ofege - Gbe mi lo
Jimi Hendrix - We Gotta Live Together
Buddy Rich - How Long
Bobby Patterson - Soul is Our Music
The Commodores - Rise Up
The HighTower Brothers - Until He Comes

sporklift fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 9, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm I like funk soul AND rock. will check out at work tmmrw

pwn
May 27, 2004

Blue

with yellow

and a bit of red

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was going to embed this but youtube is being a jerkface. Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Nm097EhLc

pwn
May 27, 2004

That is pure distilled Q1 1994, man. Except for Bobbitt which is from Q1 1993.

Saving that video now

Edit: also i lost my poo poo at the Brad Roberts reveal, how many times has Weird Al played with the original band? At the time that their song was popular no less?? Everything there is extremely my jam.

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 9, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

That is pure distilled Q1 1994, man. Except for Bobbitt which is from Q1 1993.

Saving that video now

Edit: also i lost my poo poo at the Brad Roberts reveal, how many times has Weird Al played with the original band? At the time that their song was popular no less?? Everything there is extremely my jam.

The fact that he's clearly having an absolute ball playing the parody song with Weird Al makes the whole thing even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

CPL593H posted:

The fact that he's clearly having an absolute ball playing the parody song with Weird Al makes the whole thing even better.

Wow, they even went all in with the kazoos at the end. That's outstanding.