Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

MarcusSA posted:

This is the dumbest thing ever.

Apple has never “revoked” a license or whatever the dude is saying.

The SE is fantastic and they’d have to really wow me with the 8 to get me to upgrade and I’m someone who upgrades their phones every year.

When my wife told me what the guy was saying, I apparently had a weird look on my face because she asked if I was okay. I told her that that made no sense whatsoever. I wanted to check with the thread though to see if there was something I missed. He also did not know that you could set up family ones that are not connected to an IPhone. He told my wife that might be illegal and then asked if I had purchased a “$500 apple certificate” to do that….

We got two SE’s for my daughters back around Christmas which is why my wife wanted one. Got it all set up but it will not give me the ability to turn on cellular. When I click that tab, it just shows Verizon and it gives me the ability to manage the account (the watch has shown up on our Verizon account though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

He told my wife that might be illegal and then asked if I had purchased a “$500 apple certificate” to do that….

This person is a parody right? Like there’s no way a real human out there is saying this stuff lol

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Sounds like the next thing he would have said is that he is the only authorised reseller of 500$ Apple certificates in the area.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I buy my Apple permits from a guy in the parking lot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When my wife told me what the guy was saying, I apparently had a weird look on my face because she asked if I was okay. I told her that that made no sense whatsoever. I wanted to check with the thread though to see if there was something I missed. He also did not know that you could set up family ones that are not connected to an IPhone. He told my wife that might be illegal and then asked if I had purchased a “$500 apple certificate” to do that….

We got two SE’s for my daughters back around Christmas which is why my wife wanted one. Got it all set up but it will not give me the ability to turn on cellular. When I click that tab, it just shows Verizon and it gives me the ability to manage the account (the watch has shown up on our Verizon account though).

Sometimes you have to erase the watch to get it to re program. If you need help checking to make sure the watch is on your account, feel free to PM.

And that was probably just some weird dude that works at Walmart. People say weird poo poo just because they think they believe it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

phosdex posted:

I buy my Apple permits from a guy in the parking lot.

Hey that’s the same guy I buy my speakers and meat from!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sometimes you have to erase the watch to get it to re program. If you need help checking to make sure the watch is on your account, feel free to PM.

And that was probably just some weird dude that works at Walmart. People say weird poo poo just because they think they believe it.

Thanks! It finally took the 911 address so it is all good now.

Listen. Strange men, hanging in parking lots distributing apple certificates, is no basis for a system of tech economy. Apple Watch power derives from a mandate from Steve Jobs, not from some farcical car park ceremony.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dennis, check out this lovely certificate down here!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Help help I’m being revoked

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It is not *impossible* that Apple could have carriers blacklist every cellular Watch SE, just *extremely extremely* unlikely.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

If that dude was an apple authorized reseller you should absolutely contact apple support and tell them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

It’s like those scam calls you get where they try to get you to buy google play or iTunes gift cards except IRL

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
all my licenses gone

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Tim Cook called. You've been revoked.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I were Tim Apple I would seriously consider revoking that man's Apple certificate.

Since travel is a near possibility again, I'm once again thinking of upgrading my S5 so I can get more than a few hours of walking/activity, but also once again I'm struggling with Wifi vs LTE.

While I definitely appreciate the novelty of not having to take my phone jogging, realistically I am almost certain that, short of taking emergency calls while I'm out, there is very little that I need actual LTE on my watch for.

Comparing the price premium of adding a watch to my cell plan with Rogers in Canada, the value prop of not having the added "hassle" of doing the thing I already habitually do every day, which is slapping that cellphone in my pocket, is quickly diminishing in priority.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 6, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

some kinda jackal posted:

If I were Tim Apple I would seriously consider revoking that man's Apple certificate.

Since travel is a near possibility again, I'm once again thinking of upgrading my S5 so I can get more than a few hours of walking/activity, but also once again I'm struggling with Wifi vs LTE.

While I definitely appreciate the novelty of not having to take my phone jogging, realistically I am almost certain that, short of taking emergency calls while I'm out, there is very little that I need actual LTE on my watch for.

Comparing the price premium of adding a watch to my cell plan with Rogers in Canada, the value prop of not having the added "hassle" of doing the thing I already habitually do every day, which is slapping that cellphone in my pocket, is quickly diminishing in priority.

The only useful item i see is going out without the phone, streaming music/podcasts without preloading and filling the limited internal storage. Every other scenario i can think of will have the phone in tow, cause doing a Dick Tracy is weird IMHO.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wife and I have LTE. She runs at like 4-5am so it's useful for me to be able to see if she's locked in a trunk headed to Oregon or not.

Plus, a lot of the time when we're out running not that early, we need to get ahold of the kids and whatnot, or vice versa. Carrying a phone on runs sucks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

watchOS 9 drops support for the Series 3 which they are still selling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Violator posted:

Sounds like the Series 3 will be gone by the time watchOS 9 releases then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

This is both good because the series 3 is hella slow, and also lol.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Sounds like the Series 3 will be gone by the time watchOS 9 releases then.
Lol they'll stop selling it the day they announce the next watches and the release date of watchOS 9 and not a day before.

This is the first time I can remember when they were still selling something that wouldn't be supported by the next release, but maybe there's some really early iPhone like that or something.

They should have discontinued when they launched the SE.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Endless Mike posted:

That was a common feature in every 7 review. “Why the hell are they still selling the three?”

I upgraded from the 3 to a 7 when it came out and the difference is drastic. Battery life is slightly worse, but everything else is vastly improved imo. I got a stainless model for the screen glass so I sure as hell won’t be upgrading for a long time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I got a titanium 7. I really like it. Is it worth it? No, probably not, but I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Lol they'll stop selling it the day they announce the next watches and the release date of watchOS 9 and not a day before.

This is the first time I can remember when they were still selling something that wouldn't be supported by the next release, but maybe there's some really early iPhone like that or something.

Apple stores sold a shitton of ipad docks with the 30pin connector until the week before the 4th gen release.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Violator posted:

watchOS 9 coming out doesn't brick the 3's

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Apple stores sold a shitton of ipad docks with the 30pin connector until the week before the 4th gen release.

Come on, you know by "supported" I meant with software. You may as well note that they still sell 30-pin cables to this day.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seem like the battery on my S5 took a sudden nosedive. A few weeks ago I managed to make it through a full work day and had to pop it into emergency watch-only mode at like midnight since I was staying at a hotel and forgot my charger.

Now a week or two later I'm getting 10% notifications at maybe 6pm while sitting at home doing nothing. My routine is a 5am jog for an hour but then it's literally me taking my ECG at 9am and then sitting in front of a computer all day, maybe using applepay if I go do errands or groceries on any given day, so I don't think I'm drastically stressing it more than I was before.

I quite honestly haven't kept track of watchOS updates and I just let my iOS devices update when they want to update, so I'm not sure if it's had an update since then which could account for it, but I'm pretty sure I haven't changed any settings or installed any new apps that could be eating battery. There's also no apparent way I can find to track what IS eating your battery, so I guess I'm left considering an upgrade in short order unless I can solve this. I definitely want to get this solved before I travel again next year because at this rate I'm pretty sure the battery will be dead the first time I go on a long hike or something.

Other than fitness tracking in the morning, I really do just use it to occasionally glance at the time and expected temperature, and applepay, so as long as those still work in some capacity until new watch drops I'll be thankful and if I can make it to September by kicking it into battery saving mode all day then that's a pretty good plan. That said, I'm still just shocked at how quickly the battery seems to have died off. I wonder if the long runtime that one night forced it to recalibrate battery levels and it was always much worse than it reported, but then I would have expected it to actually die unexpectedly randomly, so.. iunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 9, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What’s the battery health? If it looks good give it a hard reset. If that doesn’t fix it, wipe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like 87%. Probably ready for a recycle. Will hard reset anyway, thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

Looks like 87%. Probably ready for a recycle. Will hard reset anyway, thanks!

87 isn't that bad. You should be getting better life out of it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

My watch battery health is 84%. That range is usually time to replace the iPhone battery, is it the same for the Apple Watch? I did not know if the different capabilities of the Watch versus the phone would matter when it comes to battery health. I do not see any issues through the day but I would rather have an idea of what could be coming.

If it is the time to replace, how much do they charge to replace the battery?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

$79. If it’s below 80% and you have AppleCare+, it is free.

I wonder if they actually replace the battery on your watch or just give you a refurb?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My watch battery health is 84%. That range is usually time to replace the iPhone battery, is it the same for the Apple Watch? I did not know if the different capabilities of the Watch versus the phone would matter when it comes to battery health. I do not see any issues through the day but I would rather have an idea of what could be coming.

If it is the time to replace, how much do they charge to replace the battery?

My S4 was at around 86% before I replaced it. Even then, I was still getting all day life.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

smackfu posted:

$79. If it’s below 80% and you have AppleCare+, it is free.

I wonder if they actually replace the battery on your watch or just give you a refurb?

I'm pretty sure they just swap out the entire watch for any type of service

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

My S4 was at around 86% before I replaced it. Even then, I was still getting all day life.

My S4 is reporting 80% and I can get almost exactly 24 hours out of it.. that includes ~1 hour of recorded workouts. It's gonna be yelling at me about low power mode though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

My S4 is reporting 80% and I can get almost exactly 24 hours out of it.. that includes ~1 hour of recorded workouts. It's gonna be yelling at me about low power mode though.

Goddamn, I have to charge my S6 mid-day or else I won't be able to make it until 11pm without it dying. 1 hour of workout as well, no cellular activity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but we've established many times that you emit some kind of radiation field that destroys batteries.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah but we've established many times that you emit some kind of radiation field that destroys batteries.

Yeah this.

My launch day SE still goes 2 full days if I don’t workout.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

S4 and SE don’t have always-on displays which probably accounts for the power difference when poo poo starts to degrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

:smith:

I'm waiting for the surprise during the announcement events that say that the AW now lasts a week on one charge. One of these years now...