Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don’t smash crabs, they walk sideways and smoke cigarettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Lemniscate Blue posted:

AITA FOR TELLING MY FAMILY THEY’RE NOT IN MY GRANDPARENTS TRUST?

Missed out on the chance to see their faces when the will is read, but that's about the only criticism I have.

Yeah - all she had to do was say "I will move out once the will has been executed and you have legal ownership". And that day would have been great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Missed out on the chance to see their faces when the will is read, but that's about the only criticism I have.

Having gone through dealing with both my parents dying last year and having to sort out their estate, I absolutely couldn't even think about getting the house on the market until like... months later. Me and my sister had to go through it and remove stuff that was important to us (which was gut wrenching and neither of us really wanted to have to do it), then get the place emptied out, etc etc. Every step of it was pain. That woman's father is a loving sociopath.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hughlander posted:

AITA for telling my wife to find a new office?

I don't respect my wife because she works from home for 12 hours a day in addition to doing all the chores while I work a REAL job for 8 hours a day! I told her off for not wanting to help me play with my motorbike and now she went and did what I told her to do!

This is beyond ridiculous. How can anyone not realize how incredibly difficult it would be to juggle 3 jobs? It's possible with remote work, but no poo poo she is going to be stressed out.

If she's killing herself for 3 paychecks, they really should consider paying for help around the house.

quantumwell posted:

It's more likely she's working for an international company that operates in multiple time zones hence the need to be awake at 4 am. I'd quit just for that
reason alone, she's got to be sleep deprived at the least.

Pre-2020 that sounds right, but if someone says they have 3 employers in 2022 it's more ambiguous.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 7, 2022

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is beyond ridiculous. How can anyone not realize how incredibly difficult it would be to juggle 3 jobs? It's possible with remote work, but no poo poo she is going to be stressed out.

If she's killing herself for 3 paychecks, they really should consider paying for help around the house.

It's more likely she's working for an international company that operates in multiple time zones hence the need to be awake at 4 am. I'd quit just for that
reason alone, she's got to be sleep deprived at the least.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My grandmother was first to transition over. The moment word was delivered about my grandfather in the process of ‘transitioning’ that’s when my father found his ‘heart.’

Was very confused by the use of "transitioned" here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No, you don't understand - he has to clean out the gutters a couple times a year.

And that lawn! I swear, it needs mowing at least once every couple weeks!

Poor man is swamped.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

He has to do all the hard chores like work on his motorcycle

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
These beers ain't gonna shotgun themselves!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Guarantee you this dickhead picked the "outside" chores too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father would always include mowing the lawn in his list of chores even though it's only necessary in the northeastern US between May and September and I was the one who did it anyway.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for insisting my boyfriend’s father call me doctor?

quote:

I (27M) recently met my boyfriend’s (25M) parents over dinner. I was warned in advance that his father in particular was very strict and that we might not get along. My family environment was and still is very free and open minded. I grew up in a family where everyone, including me and my siblings, had a say in how we wanted to function. My boyfriend on the other hand grew up in a very conservative family (2 kids and a yard, the father being the primary decision maker and ‘head’ of the household so to speak.) Still I said I would do my best to get along with his parents for his sake.

We met up at a local restaurant and before I could even say hello or hand over my gift his dad greeted me with ‘Hello, my name is General Smith and you will address me as such.’ I was so taken aback by this that I honestly thought it was a joke so I replied with ‘Hello, my name is Doctor Johnson and you will address me as such.’ His father didn’t respond to this at all, basically not acknowledging I was even there. I realized that he wasn’t kidding when my boyfriend greeted his father by calling him ‘General Smith.’

I tried my best to bite my own tongue for the duration of the dinner, but there were so many things about his behavior that bugged me. He was so insistent on being respected, but he didn’t respect his family or me at all it seemed. He basically ignored me for most of the dinner, he ordered on behalf of his wife (who did not appear happy with his choice for her), he belittled my boyfriend for not being a real man, which struck me as homophobic. The list goes on and on.

At some point he turns to me and says ‘So sonny, what is it that you do?’ The tone of his question just pissed me off so much, I couldn’t ignore it. I responded ‘Well I’m a biochemist and would prefer if you referred to me as Doctor Johnson.’ This kicked off a big argument and I'll spare all the details, but he told me that he didn’t need to refer to me as anything, that I was his son’s boyfriend and as such a guest (wasn’t at his house, wasn’t gonna let him pay for me) and that if this was a dig at his military career that I should know that he fought for my freedom in this country. I told him that I wasn’t in the army with him and as such I didn’t care what his rank was. I also said that I really didn’t care about what he thought he was doing for my freedom. Dinner ended early and I went home.

Later I got a text saying that I should’ve just shut my mouth and that he was pissed that I couldn't just let it go. He said that it’s true that his dad was uptight, but that he just wanted to be respected and that I should understand as much. I fully disagree, the way he commanded respect was by degrading those around him. If my boyfriend and his mom are cool with that, that’s their business, but I wasn’t gonna let a complete stranger do that to me. Still, I do feel bad because now my boyfriend is the one stuck doing damage control so I wonder if I am the rear end in a top hat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

Remake of American beauty interesting?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mx. posted:

Guarantee you that this dude was only respected because the military forced it on his subordinates, not because they actually liked him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do...do you think people do things in the military because they like their commanding officers?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Boomer Insecure Dad Starter Pack
Being respected/ disrespected
Kicking kids out of houses they’ve inherited / will inherit
No “ethnic” food allowed at dinner
Everyone must be willing to drop what they’re doing at any time to come help me

I’m debating adding “spent entire career being a lazy and useless employee / believes younger generation doesn’t want to work anymore” but that’s basically a free square

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If Mr. General had actually "fought" for our "freedom" he would have gotten fragged after like five hours.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's always telling when someone says "I fought for your freedom" because my experience has always been that if someone has seen some poo poo they'll mention a country or battle or regiment or something. Not speak in bumper stickers. Or they won't say anything in the first place.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do...do you think people do things in the military because they like their commanding officers?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's nice to have dreams.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
There's acknowledging rank, and then there's respecting the person holding that rank.

The captain of my recon company was a big, belligerent rear end in a top hat prone to shouting needlessly, but our lieutenant, who was older and much smaller than him, was both competent and very chill dude. Even though we saluted and obeyed both, guess which one we actually respected and looked up to? Last I heard of him, he took an early retirement after being promoted to a captain and not liking it, and became a wilderness guide.

Warden fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 7, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

hardcore brainworms if you think anybody outside the military gives the tiniest of shits about your rank

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

poisonpill posted:

Boomer Insecure Dad Starter Pack
Being respected/ disrespected
Kicking kids out of houses they’ve inherited / will inherit
No “ethnic” food allowed at dinner
Everyone must be willing to drop what they’re doing at any time to come help me

I’m debating adding “spent entire career being a lazy and useless employee / believes younger generation doesn’t want to work anymore” but that’s basically a free square

Don't forget "taking door locks" escalating into "removing doors"

E: which reminds me every time this comes up that there are apparently places in the world where homes are built without privacy locks on bathrooms and bedrooms.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Johnny Truant posted:

hardcore brainworms if you think anybody outside the military gives the tiniest of shits about your rank

Hell, it's brainworms if you think half the people in the military give a poo poo about your rank when they're not being forced to.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The son of the general was real pathetic to put up with that poo poo from hia father. I'd never tolerate that in a boyfriend. Doormat or daddy's boy? Either way, an invitation to a lifetime of woe.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

therobit posted:

quote:

I had zero problem with her using the kitchen and all the equipment in the kitchen with the exception of one itemasshole?

I know this is several pages back but:

Yes the room mate that broke the knife with her bf is an rear end - but the bolded would be a giant redflag for me. Why TF would I need permission just to use the kitchen to cook my own food when paying to live there?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Yes the room mate that broke the knife with her bf is an rear end - but the bolded would be a giant redflag for me. Why TF would I need permission just to use the kitchen to cook my own food when paying to live there?

Probably just specifying that it’s the only thing off limits in the kitchen and OP wasn’t being weird about the rest of their equipment

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I assume she was referring to her other cooking equipment, which as a professional chef she probably had a lot of.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I think that's just awkward drafting to explain that what she meant is 'feel free to use anything in the kitchen you want except my super expensive knife'.

E: that'll teach me to phone post. Too slow

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Hell, it's brainworms if you think half the people in the military give a poo poo about your rank when they're not being forced to.

Lol touche

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Don't forget "taking door locks" escalating into "removing doors"

E: which reminds me every time this comes up that there are apparently places in the world where homes are built without privacy locks on bathrooms and bedrooms.

This one hits home. My dad would full on scream diatribes cursing at us for any perceived slight. I'm pretty sure I have PTSD as I just shut the gently caress down and cry if someone yells at me now. I dared to walk away once and lock my bedroom door behind me and he got a hammer and beat off the handle and smashed open the door.

Why no I don't respect him at all as an adult and moved 2000 miles away to a new country, why do you ask

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tendales posted:

If Mr. General had actually "fought" for our "freedom" he would have gotten fragged after like five hours.

I'm just amazed the guy's dad is a revolutionary war veteran.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for changing party plans "last minute" to spite my half sister?

quote:

My halfsister "heather" and I never really got along. We both are 24. My father left my mother for her mother and we were born the same month 20 days appart. It has always been weird.

It doesn't help that Heather's mom hates me and my mom. By extention Heather and I didn't have the best relationship.

She has always tried to one up me. Even tho we both have a similar economic background. I ca n give examples of this but for the sake of the world limit won't write them here.

So now my fiancé and I got engaged last month and had our engagement party this Saturday. We had planned it originally as a casual- formal event. Nice dresses but not "I am going to the met gala ball" nice. More like "we are going to a good restaurant" nice.

Anyway my cousin hits me up saying she has to show me someone. It was the picture of the dress Heather was gonna wear.

This dress.... Jesus christ. It can only be described as opulent. It was long and white. Strapless with sewn in "Chrystals" and golden accents. I'm pretty sure it's a wedding dress but I can't be 100 percent.

This made me really mad. So I decided.... gently caress that. I started texting people telling them that there had been a change of plans. And that instead of casual formal I decided to make a costume party. My mother's side is crazy for Halloween so they were immediately on board. I told my father via text, and asked for him to rely the message to Heather her mother. Knowing full well that he would forget or leave it to the last minute.

Saturday comes along. Guests start showing up. Most of them in costumes. Some didn't have time to get one. We just provided them with fun hats and cheap wigs.

Heather my dad and her mother come like one hour late.

As soon as she notices that everyone was either wearing elaborate costumes or weird accessories and she didn't stand out she lost it. Especially when my fiance came along and told her that "her bride dress looked amazing for a cheap costume".

She left crying and her mother and my father told me that I was being childish and I could have told Heather myself and not have tasked my father.

Am I really the rear end in a top hat?

:lol:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

artsy fartsy posted:

hahahahahahahaha oh my god this is amazing

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

The son of the general was real pathetic to put up with that poo poo from hia father. I'd never tolerate that in a boyfriend. Doormat or daddy's boy? Either way, an invitation to a lifetime of woe.

I’ll take option 3. Mentally and probably physically abused their entire life by rear end in a top hat father until they resembled a beaten puppy. And now they just need so much therapy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

artsy fartsy posted:

Lmao :perfect:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Lmao a good tact. "Come on daughter you know I'm a loving idiot why did you trust me to tell her?"

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Mx. posted:

I always laugh at the "I FOUGHT FOR UR FREEDUMS!" assholes.

What conflict/war that the US has been a part of since WW2 has actually been for freedom and not the US just expanding its influence of the world?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Kuros posted:

I always laugh at the "I FOUGHT FOR UR FREEDUMS!" assholes.

What conflict/war that the US has been a part of since WW2 has actually been for freedom and not the US just expanding its influence of the world?

Hey the freedom to be an American anywhere in the world is a great freedom!

Or the freedom to blow up poo poo in another land.

AITA for not letting my daughter go to freshman prom

quote:

Me (37f) and my husband (37m)have 3 kids (14m, 14f and 12m). A few days ago, I got home from a diner for work and saw that a vase in the kitchen was on the floor in pieces, it was a very expensive vase, while we can afford a new one, I was still very upset about it.

I see my twins sitting on the couch and asked what happened, my daughter tells me that our 12 y/o was playing with one of his baseballs and broke it. My youngest loves sports memorabilia and does collect it, but I was immediately suspicious because he takes very good care of his antique sports memorabilia, and wouldn’t throw a baseball like that. Even with his modern baseballs he uses for sport, I’ve never seen him throw one in the house. My 12 y/o isn’t a great liar, and when I asked him he said he did it, and it seemed like he was lying, then I noticed he had chocolate on his shirt and it was obvious that they had tried to bribe him with chocolate, my daughter’s boyfriend works at a chocolatier and gets some free chocolate.

I then asked both of the twins what happened, but separately, first I took my son into our bedroom where he immediately admitted that him and his sister were playing with one of their brother’s antique baseballs and broke the vase, I was obviously disappointed in his actions but I was glad he was honest. When I took my daughter into our room, she insisted it was their younger brother and refused to acknowledge what she did. I then went back to my son, I told him he lost his phone for a week and he complied, no other punishment, he said he was going to the place where him and his friends take welding lessons, which is fine by me, I decided that losing their phone would be the punishment. My daughter refused to give the phone and still insisted that it was her younger brother, I then got my youngest in the room with us and asked him to explain why he had chocolate all over himself, where he admitted that she bribed him with the sweets. After that, my daughter just went silent and refused to give me the phone when I asked.

I then told her that she would not be allowed to go to the freshman prom for lying to me and refusing to hand over her phone. The lying is what really makes me upset. My son is the more careless and chill sibling, so I kind of expected less pushback from him since he’s more likely to just go with a punishment. My daughter is a good kid, but she can be a lot more defensive, which isn’t inherently bad but was in this case.

My husband said I was being too harsh and should let her go, but I am still not on board with letting her go, he’s the more permissive parent and we’ve talked about how the kids know he’s easier to manipulate but he said he thinks that this punishment is unfair. I love him but I disagree and I don’t want my daughter to think she can get away with lying. She could’ve done something with her friends to, but insisted that she keep the phone.

A mix of YTA and NTA on Reddit. I don't know, the continuing to lie is what makes me think NTA? But I don't have kids either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter go to freshman prom

A mix of YTA and NTA on Reddit. I don't know, the continuing to lie is what makes me think NTA? But I don't have kids either.

hard to say without knowing how much the daughter actually gives a poo poo about prom, but heavily leaning toward NTA either way because she's a lying little fucker