Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, I believe Resistance and Bad Batch are the only shows so far (unless you want to count the old Droids cartoons) not to have any Jedi or otherwise force sensitive individuals as part of the main cast (even the Lego shows/specials like Freemaker Adventures threw one in)

Of course, now that I say this they’ll probably make Omega a Jedi or something during Season 2 (there was a bit in one of the early episodes that could possibly be read as a hint towards her being able to feel the Force). I hope not though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There are no bad characters in Rebels. And by the end they have all achieved legendary status.

I wonder why the entire cast is met with roaring applause whenever they are merely mentioned. Really makes you think. Must be a fluke.

:tipshat:

E: If you want to see "bad" characters just look at Resistance which flubs every single person.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Did anyone else laugh at the “content warning” thing before the show began? Like, what the gently caress about Star Wars warrants that? Unless they’re referring to Reva’s bad acting here.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MLSM posted:

Did anyone else laugh at the “content warning” thing before the show began? Like, what the gently caress about Star Wars warrants that? Unless they’re referring to Reva’s bad acting here.
Was it because of the Stormtrooper being cut in half?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
New thread topic.

Who’s more insufferable: TPM child Anakin or child Leia in the Obiwan show?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So far I would say Child Leia because no kid talks the way she does

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MLSM posted:

New thread topic.

:lol: Kinda tough. Will have to wait till the series ends. Child Leia's actor is way better at the emotional beats but is more annoying when being a smarmy kid.

"Yeah, your GRANDDAUGHTER"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MLSM posted:

I didn't get any content warning. It's one of the most violent hours of TV D+ has produced so far though so probably that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MLSM posted:

New thread topic.

Leia's great so probably the first one.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MLSM posted:

New thread topic.

Both of them are fine. Jake Lloyd was a worse actor, but Vivien Blair's scripts are loads better so that helps.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MLSM posted:

the child who posts in this thread

pretend i posted the link where it goes to the clicker's profile cuz idk how to do that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MLSM posted:

Probably a holdover from the school shooting in the beginning of the first episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"You don't need manners when talking to lower life forms."
"Then I guess I don't need manners when talking to you."

Child Leia is a treasure and one of the highlights of the show

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MLSM posted:

Stranger Things and Obi-Wan both added it due to the Uvalde shooting happening right before release, because both episodes start with kids being attacked.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
content warning: contains Star Wars

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

:emptyquote:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

TLJ did the cool thing by acknowledging that manifestation of power could happen to anyone, even a person who isn't descended from some powerful bloodline.

The original movie's entire premise is that it could happen to anyone, including some scrub farmer nobody on a backwater planet. The second movie tied Luke to his father, but that wasn't part of the original movie and he still wasn't part of some bloodline of powerful Jedi as such until the prequels came around. The prequels also introduced a metric tuck ton of powerful Jedi besides Anakin, none of whom are established as part of any kind of dynasty to my recollection and several of whom defeated Anakin at various times regardless of his power and any prophecy regarding him. Not to mention that at no point in either movie trilogy did Anakin or Luke defeat Palpatine in open combat. Vader did kill Palpatine (temporarily) at the end of the original trilogy, but he only managed it because Palpatine didn't consider him a threat any more and it still cost him his life to do so.

Palpatine, who had sat next to the Jedi council for years and kept his power from all of them, as well as being able to engineer the downfall of the entire Galactic Republic, his own resurrection from death etc. All of which makes him come off as more powerful than any Jedi, including Anakin. And who is never established as being part of some powerful bloodline either, so far as I know. Which is ignoring all the powerful Jedi and Sith established to exist in the old EU, and quite possibly the new one, most of whom started out as unknown pissants from the back end of nowhere too.

The Last Jedi's establishment that Rey came from nowhere is only different if you ignore the context of basically everything preceding it, and only concentrate on specific bits of lore established in later films. Which, if we're going to do that for them, then we should also do for Rey, since she's heavily implied to be Luke or someone's daughter in The Force Awakens (and possibly has training because of it; even if she's forgotten much of it), and more importantly, established as Palpatine's granddaughter, and thus a descendant of a powerful bloodline herself in The Rise of Skywalker. As well as part of a prophecy apparently, since the whole Force Dyad thing is part of a prophecy according to Wookiepeda; though I've no idea if that's in The Rise of Skywalker or just supplementary material.

Also, weird quirk; Chrome's spell check apparently recognizes Jedi as a legitimate word, but not Sith. You'd think it'd be both.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Every time I read about Rise of Skywalker my brain just shuts down

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
STAR WARS MAY BE DAMAGING TO YOUR HEALTH OR THE HEALTH OF YOUR UNBORN CHILD

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

it's definitely damaging to their reproductive health if outcomes in adulthood are to be taken into consideration.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sorry, guess I should have been more specific. TLJ did the cool thing by acknowldging that anyone who isn't related to a Skywalker or Palpatine could be the protagonist with immense force talent in the complete Star Wars™ media franchise including the prequels.

:razz:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

VaultAggie posted:

I’m hoping that Ahsoka and Sabine finally find Ezra in the Ahsoka show and it turns out he’s just been slamming back beers with Thrawn the whole time and chilling.

I kind of hope they find them trying to keep the galaxy safe from Dalek-Cthulhoids or something.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

AND/OR IMPREGNATE YOU VIA WEIRD MICROBES.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

Sorry, guess I should have been more specific. TLJ did the cool thing by acknowldging that anyone who isn't related to a Skywalker or Palpatine could be the protagonist with immense force talent in the complete Star Wars™ media franchise including the prequels.

:razz:

Until something else changed it. Same as basically everything else in Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

tsob posted:

Until something else changed it. Same as basically everything else in Star Wars.

Ignoring TROS is canon.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Everyone posted:

I kind of hope they find them trying to keep the galaxy safe from Dalek-Cthulhoids or something.

Yuuzhan Vong are back, baby! :nixon:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

teagone posted:

Ignoring TROS is canon.

A lot of people ignore the prequels and sequels too.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

teagone posted:

Ignoring TROS is canon.

I wish this thread would ignore it and not spend page after page discussing it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

do the prequels build on the idea that the force is inherited anymore than the OT did? theres no like families of jedi. it's still just anakin, luke and leia, basically. and considering anakin was The One who failed to fulfill The Prophecy that could be written off as "the force acts in mysterious ways" stuff

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Every time I read about Rise of Skywalker my brain just shuts down

That is the best way to watch that movie at least.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tsob posted:

Also, weird quirk; Chrome's spell check apparently recognizes Jedi as a legitimate word, but not Sith. You'd think it'd be both.

Especially because sith really is a word, if extremely out of date.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

That DICK! posted:

do the prequels build on the idea that the force is inherited anymore than the OT did? theres no like families of jedi. it's still just anakin, luke and leia, basically. and considering anakin was The One who failed to fulfill The Prophecy that could be written off as "the force acts in mysterious ways" stuff

A lot of what TLJ is reacting to is a hodgepodge of derivative EU crap, fans practicing a game of telephone over what's in the movies, and Disney's own choices for the franchise. Force eugenics, the Skywalkers as the center of the universe, Jedi as these titans who dictate the politics of the galaxy instead of being a mirror to them, endless Rebels-vs-Empire stuff...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cartoon Man posted:

I wish this thread would ignore it and not spend page after page discussing it.

1 more day friend :)

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

That DICK! posted:

:goonsay:

Anakin never failed to fulfill the prophecy. He just became a Sith first then he chucked Palps down the shaft.

ninja e: Well actually you’re right considering the sequel trilogy loving ruined it by, “somehow the Sith have returned”

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The space between episode discussion in this thread is waaaaayyyyy better than the Chernobyl thread was, so we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

ninja e: Well actually you’re right considering the sequel trilogy loving ruined it by, “somehow the Sith have returned”

This is why ignoring TROS is canon.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The space between episode discussion in this thread is waaaaayyyyy better than the Chernobyl thread was, so we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

How did that thread go?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

:goonsay:

Anakin never failed to fulfill the prophecy. He just became a Sith first then he chucked Palps down the shaft.

Yeah but he only got there cause he had a son powerful in the force enough to kick his rear end around. Though I guess the prophecy itself is just prequel nonsense anyhow.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Vintersorg posted:

How did that thread go?

It seemed like it kept devolving into tankie chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It seemed like it kept devolving into tankie chat.

Russian reactions to the series didn't help. I do wonder how their "true story" take on Chernobyl is going. The one that blamed it all on a CIA op.