Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

BlindSite posted:

My brothers doing it right. He's getting a mess of food trucks and the brides parents are arranging kegs and spirits from local distilleries / breweries.

drat. I'm lukewarm on going to weddings, but I'd do that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Sam looks a lot like Bill in the Bakshi LotR; surprised they didn’t do something with that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I've been making fresh pasta a lot lately and jeez it's so good, what a game changer

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

drat. I'm lukewarm on going to weddings, but I'd do that one

It gets better. The dress code isn't super formal just a nice pair of chinos and matching shirts for the groomsmen so I don't have to shell out a fortune for a suit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
insomnia suuuuuuuuuucks

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

insomnia suuuuuuuuuucks

:yeah:

Go to bed just before 10, wake up at 3. :wtf: body? I'll be falling asleep at my work desk today for sure.

gently caress it, I got a pillow and a blanket & there's room under my desk…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W__qCFWi1KA
If others come in to my space while I sleep, call a bomb threat on the building.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Intruder posted:

I've been making fresh pasta a lot lately and jeez it's so good, what a game changer

Whatcha making?

How long does your home made stuff last for?

How much time does it take?

Pics??

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hello fellow people with sleep issues.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning, tried to get back to sleep for the next half hour and then just got out of bed because my alarm is set for 6:30.

Sushi didn't come out great last night which, I didnt have high hopes but this was worse than previous batches and I think I'm ready to just leave it as something we only get outside the house. I think falafel was a bad idea for this week because it's another food that I haven't made too many times and requires extra steps. :(

I'm just opening a box of mac and cheese tomorrow night.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I work third shift and my sleeping schedule rotates between waking up at 3-4pm which is cool and good to waking up at 11am and attempting to go back to sleep around 5pm till I head into work. I'll toss and turn for 1-2 hours before I fall asleep only to wake up an hour later and pass out for another hour until my alarm goes off. Eventually I'll end up staying up till noon for a few days before I once again reset the cycle by passing out immediately after work.

I know working nights doesn't help. As long as I can remember I've had these three weird sleep cycles even while in school just with the hours reversed for night time.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

insomnia suuuuuuuuuucks

Yup!

Really glad I caught two hours sleep the night before a huge meeting.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Sleep issues crew checking in.

My already inconsistent and sorta poor sleeping habits have been thrown off the last week by a lingering cold. A few nights with throat soreness and congestion (Where like any deep breath or drink hurt, I was up at least once every hour) were replaced last night by congestion where I had to basically sleep at like a 45° angle to get any kind of sinus drainage, but still was up about every 2 hours.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

insomnia suuuuuuuuuucks

Insomnia, two month-old, same difference.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

harperdc posted:

Insomnia, two month-old, same difference.

Two day old slept for 3 hours at a time last night and woke up for quick feeds. I tweaked my shoulder on the hospital couch, but we get to go home today and I’m assuming the other shoe will drop like it did with the other kiddos.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1534103538082537473?s=21

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
They surely didn't jog.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’ll happily answer all sleep related questions

It’s what I do daily at work anyway

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I dunno if there’s anything real to it but I read about “Revenge Bedtime Procrastination” and it seemed to fit my lovely sleep habits to a T.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

To be fair, gas prices affect the cost of air travel too. My parents are coming to visit later this month, and after swearing up and down that they'd finally opt for the two-hour flight instead of the ten-hour drive I talked to them yesterday and they're just going to drive again because flights are too expensive now lol

Then again, maybe send a letter to your rep first? Or call them?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's like a 50-50 shot if I pass out immediately because I'm so tired or whether I will stay up all night due to work related anxiety replaying over and over the things I have to do in the morning that I will inevitably not be able to do due to more work being on my desk by the time I wake up.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I like to struggle to stay awake on the couch from like 6:00-8:30 and then when I lay down to go to bed at 10:00 I stare at the ceiling for two hours

Strangely slamming the leftover cup or so of coffee in the French press when I’m done with work/get home from work seems to help

Also melatonin kinda sorta ish helps but any benefits are vastly negated by how utterly groggy and sleepy it makes me the next morning

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/mischiefanimals/status/1533549684052074498

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

T-Square posted:

Also melatonin kinda sorta ish helps but any benefits are vastly negated by how utterly groggy and sleepy it makes me the next morning

Extremely :same:

I tried melatonin and few other things and none of them make a major impact on me falling asleep faster or staying asleep longer, but I’ll always feel a lot more groggy and sleepy in the morning no matter when I actually get up.

I basically only use that stuff now once every few months when I have a bout of insomnia, which I had severe problems with about a decade ago when I was working overnights for two years. Never doing that poo poo again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

C-Euro posted:

To be fair, gas prices affect the cost of air travel too. My parents are coming to visit later this month, and after swearing up and down that they'd finally opt for the two-hour flight instead of the ten-hour drive I talked to them yesterday and they're just going to drive again because flights are too expensive now lol

Then again, maybe send a letter to your rep first? Or call them?

There’s no way they weren’t in a lifted F250 crew cab.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

LeeMajors posted:

There’s no way they weren’t in a lifted F250 crew cab.

Who doesn't have sympathy for people driving $80,000 trucks that get 15mpg?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I still miss my single cab long box beater F150 :(

But that was like $1,200 and probably did 13MPG downhill with a tailwind :v:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
This topic reminds me of a friend of mine currently is finishing his PhD at Stanford and his entire study is relating to sleep. He’s developing these awesome glasses that help you enter REM sleep immediately. I follow his progress religiously because that’s easily my biggest problem - the interrupted REM Sleep.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/gritty20202/status/1533875384533622785?s=21

****$13/hr + benefits = $16/hr

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I used to take 5mg melatonin from Costco a lot. I've actually found the 1mg works just as well. Honestly I just need that push to get me to sleep. I can usually stay asleep once I do.

I would like to ween myself off of it, but that usually involves me laying in bed for 2 hours frustrated I can't sleep. I need to meditate more. I've used headspace's sleep mediations to varying success too.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had terrible insomnia as a kid / teen. Used to just have terrible adrenaline attacks that's keep me awake for hours if I so much as touched a spec of dirt in bed.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

I used to take 5mg melatonin from Costco a lot. I've actually found the 1mg works just as well. Honestly I just need that push to get me to sleep. I can usually stay asleep once I do.

I would like to ween myself off of it, but that usually involves me laying in bed for 2 hours frustrated I can't sleep. I need to meditate more. I've used headspace's sleep mediations to varying success too.

When I’m traveling I usually struggle to fall asleep the first night. Half a Benadryl plus one of those sleep meditations works wonders.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

:hmmyes:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm an OK sleeper but my wife, and really her entire family, can sleep anywhere anytime and through anything. It's remarkable.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm lucky in that I can generally falls asleep within a few minutes. I have found that the nights I workout I have a much harder time falling asleep so I'll pop a melatonin if I'm not sleeping within 15 minutes.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Taking the air fryer pill

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I sleep fine for the most part, but I'm jealous of people who can fall asleep with the tv on. I've tried and even if it's the stupidest thing on I can't help but focus on it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The benefits that supposedly are worth $3 an hour are "supportive work environment" and free snacks and sometimes a raffle (don't raffles involve a pay-in?) and we will pay for sick time if you bring a doctor's note.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

CannonFodder posted:

The benefits that supposedly are worth $3 an hour are "supportive work environment" and free snacks and sometimes a raffle (don't raffles involve a pay-in?) and we will pay for sick time if you bring a doctor's note.

Pay the doctor like $100 (because you don't have health insurance) instead of staying in bed recovering and you can have an excused absence and we will pay you your daily salary of $104 for 8 hours, minus taxes of course 🙂

Also the benefits include good pay, which is quantified and added to the hourly rate. Impeccable math.

Edit: open the image on Twitter for a fun surprise that doesn't show on the embedded part on the Awful app

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah I’d like an itemized list for my compensation package on how exactly that is worth 50-100$/wk

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

(THANKS BIDEN)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Just got swabbed for flu, rsv, COViD, and strep.

I feel violated.