Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Xun posted:

Woah what are you running on your Yae?

R4 Solar pearl, 2p Shimenawas, 2p Emblem of Severed Fate. I usually run lost prayer with her instead of solar pearl since I can't be bothered with constantly refreshing that buff in normal gameplay but its definitely stronger. She has some of my best arties, 84% cRate ,185% Cdamage, 150% ER and 1900 atk before any buffs.

Sucrose is doing a lot of work here, with VV and her elemental mastery buff she increases yae skill damage by 60%.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey thread, I just recently started and I read through the op, and just had some quick questions. I'm scared of wasting exp, so I really haven't started boosting any characters or weapons, how relatively permanent is that decision? I know you can smash powered up artifacts into new ones, but what about weapons? I also assume that I will get my second roll on the newbie banner eventually? I got Noelle, Bennett, and Razor, and I'm using Noelle, Bennett, MC, and Lisa. Is this a decent party/any of them worth focusing on in a more permanent capacity? I'm assuming the main character sucks because I basically never see them in fan art or whatever.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

Hey thread, I just recently started and I read through the op, and just had some quick questions. I'm scared of wasting exp, so I really haven't started boosting any characters or weapons, how relatively permanent is that decision?

It's not. Taking any character to level 80 and/or any weapon to 90 is a something that takes about a week or less in the late game.

quote:

I know you can smash powered up artifacts into new ones, but what about weapons? I

Weapons are powered up by enhancing them or refining them. You refine them by feeding them duplicate copies of themselves. You enhance them by feeding them the purple crystal ores, and occasionally ascending them at level caps with weapon materials you have to run domains for. You can also feed them other weapons you have for exp, but some 3 star weapons are actually rare, so be careful when doing that. In the late game, you almost exclusively use the ores because the weapons provide so little exp.

quote:

I also assume that I will get my second roll on the newbie banner eventually? I got Noelle, Bennett, and Razor, and I'm using Noelle, Bennett, MC, and Lisa.Is this a decent party/any of them worth focusing on in a more permanent capacity?

You'll get 20 rolls total, then the banner disappears. Quests will give them to you. Just follow the main plot line. Don't be afraid of "speed running" the main plot. Lots of stuff is gated behind it.

Bennet and Razor are a great team for a newer player. Bennet will last you your entire Genshin life, Razor is still really good, and worth building up. Especially if you're undecided if you want to spend money. I have him at level 80 with leveled talents because he's fun to play.

quote:

I'm assuming the main character sucks because I basically never see them in fan art or whatever.

They hit their power cap pretty before the end game levels, which means they don't see a ton of use. I used traveller for most of my early genshin career and took her to 80. I don't regret it.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The traveler is one of the biggest disappointments in this game. They should have the opportunity to be considerably stronger than they are. And the lack of per-element skins or even just recolors is super disappointing.

This doesn’t even get into the fact that having them be both an actual established character and also a silent protagonist is a stupid design decision.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Eimi posted:

Hey thread, I just recently started and I read through the op, and just had some quick questions. I'm scared of wasting exp, so I really haven't started boosting any characters or weapons, how relatively permanent is that decision? I know you can smash powered up artifacts into new ones, but what about weapons? I also assume that I will get my second roll on the newbie banner eventually? I got Noelle, Bennett, and Razor, and I'm using Noelle, Bennett, MC, and Lisa. Is this a decent party/any of them worth focusing on in a more permanent capacity? I'm assuming the main character sucks because I basically never see them in fan art or whatever.

The first 20 levels are super cheap and up to 40 is pretty reasonable, even at the start. At higher world levels you get a lot more xp books for doing ley lines, so it doesn't really cut too deeply into your resources to level whatever you have.
You do get free wishes from ascending your characters, so a lot of people end up doing it even if they aren't going to play them. Be sure to check their profile section after ascending them. There's a little star at the top right that gives you rewards for ascension 1,3 and 5.

Being able to cover for different elements is somewhat important. A lot of the bosses that you inevitably need to do might otherwise give you problems, so if Lisa is your electro character, you're not really doing anything wrong by levelling her and it'll help you a lot with the Oceanid, a boss that seems to give a lot of newer players problems.
Noelle and Lisa have very poor energy generation. Their skills don't generate many elemental particles, the little light globes that fly out of enemies when you hit them with elemental skills, which means that a team with both doesn't get to use their bursts as much. This doesn't matter as much early on, but it's something to keep in mind as your options expand and you get to higher levels.

It's the level 50 to 70 range where things start to get more expensive and you start to feel the opportunity cost of levelling a lot of characters.

With weapons, it helps to focus on the 4 star weapons that you might get from the character banner and standard banner.
Again, the first 40 levels are pretty free, so it's not too much of a setback to level them, even if they end up unused.

There's a few blue weapons that even stand out and stay relevant.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I feel like anemo and geo traveler are both solidly ok, but definitely outshined by other characters. Electro traveler I've barely touched.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Speaking of Diluc I'm trying to figure out which weapon would be best for him right now to balance ATK & Crit Stats.

Basically I'm stuck between these two options:

The Unforged (70/70)
1,949 ATK (No Weapon Stacks)
34.7/155.7 Crit Stats

Or

Serpent's Spine (70/70)
1,523 ATK
57.4/155.7 Crit Stats

My gut says that massive ATK difference overtakes the less optimal crit stats and Unforged would be the choice but I figured I'd run it by better math wizards than me.

Even though Unforged is gonna get some more attack through its passive, because Serpent's Spine passive is damage% and not atk% the Serpent Spine is likely going to outdamage The Unforged. There are far more sources of atk buffs than damage% buffs and the more atk buffs you have on your team the further the scales will tip towards Serpent's Spine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Great advice

Zwiebel posted:

Great advice

Thanks for the tips! I'll aim for 40 as a soft cap of sorts then until I get a stronger sense of who I like using, and feel like I'm not wasting much on it.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Travelers fine. Geo is unironically a pretty decent a standalone unit, and anemo is an anemo. I used her from launch up until I got Kazuha just because of how useful enemy grouping was, even if she grouped the enemies halfway across the stage in a really annoying way.

Anyway, congrats on the Bennett. He's literally the most important character in the game, eventually. Now you just need Xingqiu or Yelan from the banner and you're basically all set, forever (until you need to build 2 teams, then you're 50% all set forever).

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MoonCrab posted:

Travelers fine. Geo is unironically a pretty decent a standalone unit, and anemo is an anemo. I used her from launch up until I got Kazuha just because of how useful enemy grouping was, even if she grouped the enemies halfway across the stage in a really annoying way.

Anyway, congrats on the Bennett. He's literally the most important character in the game, eventually. Now you just need Xingqiu or Yelan from the banner and you're basically all set, forever (until you need to build 2 teams, then you're 50% all set forever).

drat, he's that good? I'm assuming because he's a combo healer/damage steroid in one?

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
He also has great energy generation to help other pyro units build up to their elemental bursts!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eimi posted:

Thanks for the tips! I'll aim for 40 as a soft cap of sorts then until I get a stronger sense of who I like using, and feel like I'm not wasting much on it.

Don't bother with soft caps early on. Pick one favorite character and crank their level/weapon/artifacts as high as you can get them. Until your level cap is above 70ish it's basically always worth it (at least for whoever you use as your main damage dealer) and you don't really need to think about conserving resources.
And upgrading a 4-star weapon you use all the way to max level (90) is always worth it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've been dreading this Abyss since it first leaked with how anti-freeze it looked, thinking I'd finally have to retire my team I've used for 8 months straight. Also, I thought 12-3 had bosses on both sides, but turns out I just can't tell vishaps apart.

Two out of three ain't bad, and I still got to use Cryo to bully Kenki thanks to Shenhe. My normal freeze team is a few seconds short of clearing it, and ascending to 6 would probably push me over. Maybe I'll finally make the leap... gotta bring those Aloy numbers up for the data collectors

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Don't bother with soft caps early on. Pick one favorite character and crank their level/weapon/artifacts as high as you can get them. Until your level cap is above 70ish it's basically always worth it (at least for whoever you use as your main damage dealer) and you don't really need to think about conserving resources.
And upgrading a 4-star weapon you use all the way to max level (90) is always worth it.

This is mostly so I can get myself not blocked on trying to find a favorite character. :v: I have bad potion hoarder syndrome so I need something like that to break it. I will do so if I find any 4 star weapons, currently I've just got 3 stars.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

I'm finally free, I got the Reliable Helper commission two days in a row and now that stupid Snezhnaya achievement isn't staring me in the face and mocking me.

Now for the Rex Lapis stories achievement, which should only take like a year...

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

sandorius posted:

We can disregard talent levels and modifiers because they'd be the same, so:
Unforged average damage is (1949 * 0.653) normal hit plus (1949 * 0.347 * 2.557) crits which is 3002.
Spine average damage is (1523 * 0.426) normal hit plus (1523 * 0.574 * 2.557) crits which is 2884.

edit: wow, actually that's like, a 4% increase for over 400 ATK difference. You really need to switch to a crit rate circlet.
edit2: Bennett gives like 500-700 ATK for being in his ult, so if you run Bennett with Diluc, I'd stick with Spine.

Bah. Artifact farming and trying to find good crit stat balance is legitimately the worst part of this game. Because that's a whopping 66% Crit Damage I lose by switching the circlet so then I have to fish for more of that in substats.

I suppose Option C is just throw my Redhorn Stonethresher on Diluc but then I have to deal with tossing it back and forth between him and Itto and I don't particularly feel like dealing with that.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Eimi posted:

This is mostly so I can get myself not blocked on trying to find a favorite character. :v: I have bad potion hoarder syndrome so I need something like that to break it. I will do so if I find any 4 star weapons, currently I've just got 3 stars.

If you have my luck and pull The Bell claymore early on, don't bother with it, it's probably the most useless 4* weapon in the game

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

drat, he's that good? I'm assuming because he's a combo healer/damage steroid in one?

Bennet is the only strong pyro energy generator in the game, one of the fastest healers, and the buff from his ult is used in lots of end game high damage numbers. His ascension stat is energy regeneration, which is a useful stat for firing off your ult. He's definitely a top tier unit. I think you have good starter pulls. Razor also provides a claymore user (can break rocks and geo shields with his sword) that has a fast attack string (comparable to Eula or Diluc, who are both 5 star characters), has sprint stamina reduction as his passive, and does good physical damage, which is good in the early game since you don't have a ton of great units to set up reactions.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

I have bad potion hoarder syndrome so I need something like that to break it.

If it helps, as you increase Adventure rank and go up world levels, you get materials at a somewhat faster rate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Eimi posted:

I spent some time when I saw the extent of the ascension materials grinds looking at popular endgame team comps to see what characters I had versus what they used to figure out what to focus on. I still ended up with Amber at 80 despite nobody liking her but I hadn't gotten many popular pyro characters until recently. A lot of the essential characters are just on wish banners that aren't in the game now and you don't get as many exploration/quest primogems as you do while playing through the game initially. I figure if I stick with it I'll get some eventually!

After playing a couple of months (albeit heavily) I've got the Traveler, Ayaka, Noelle, Fischl, and Barbara moving to be my 80-90 crew and slowly working on bringing up a few others. 40+ is where you end up sinking a lot of mora into upgrading levels and resin into ascension materials with a pretty extreme upwards curve from 70-90. One nice thing is you can ascend to the next tier and not level up if you're short on mora and still get a little stat boost since the character will get a little experience for kills. Not really enough to level a ton, but enough for it to be worthwhile when you're short on mora.

I haven't gotten Jean or Bennett or some of the other characters everyone seems to have but I figure that's just how it's going to be with only playing for a little while and luck on the wish loot box system. The hardest part of just hitting the current end game is lack of good artifacts (because it's hard to get them with good stats without a lot of repetition which uses resin) when you've been using resin on talent and ascension materials. Also, the Abyss is a real challenge when you have to split into two teams and you've only got 5-6 characters who can really compete at that level. Most of the special events that they run give you level 80 trial characters with strong stats and items and strategems or whatever that make it a lot more fair when you need to split teams up. I get that it's an appealing challenge to work on, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eimi posted:

Also make use of these websites to keep things organized.

This one for keeping track of what you're doing with your weapons and characters

And this one for 'What weapons should I be giving people ideally?'

Eimi posted:

Aiming for lvl40 is a great bit of advice for the beginning, because the EXP books will start to run out before you can bring everyone else up to the same level, so you want to pick whoever you're using as your main damage dealer and stick with them, whoever that may be. As far as synergy goes, you can use Bennet and Barbara together to vaporize water or Razor and Kaeya for superconduct- Razor does crazy damage with a Debate Club or you can go to the blacksmith and have him make you a Prototype Animus and you'll be shocked how high his damage rockets up- to lower enemy physical damage.

Really it's just up to you to find what's fun, also keep posting how you're liking the game and look at the Character Archive and tell us if anyone catches your eye. That wasn't in the game at launch so now everybody can see all the playable characters -Though sadly they don't have a trial run system up all the time so you can't play as them whenever you want-

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there a reason people keep talking about Yelan + XQ other than fixing energy problems? Yelan alone should be enough hydro application for Hu Tao unless you are doing 3+ charged attacks per second. I wished on Yelan to free up XQ and I am frankly offended at the thought of using Yelan with XQ. I am finally free from the tyranny of only one viable hydro support. :woop:

I have 224% ER with an r5 favonius bow on Yelan so I'm not having any energy problems. She'll burst on cooldown, don't even have to remember to cycle back to her 10s into her burst. My biggest issue is handwringing over going for 4 element teams vs taking obvious elemental synergies that are probably much better.

Ayaka / Kazuha / Yelan / Sayu might be my new favorite exploration team. Just 4 characters with mobility enhancing skills and uhm, yep. Endlessly zip, dash, roll, and fly around.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never been a fan of the sites for plotting out character materials. Having the grind laid out in front of you makes everything feel like a chore.

I worried about not keeping track of materials eventually biting me in the rear end, but it never has. Everything gets used eventually.

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021

Sanctum posted:

Is there a reason people keep talking about Yelan + XQ other than fixing energy problems? Yelan alone should be enough hydro application for Hu Tao unless you are doing 3+ charged attacks per second. I wished on Yelan to free up XQ and I am frankly offended at the thought of using Yelan with XQ. I am finally free from the tyranny of only one viable hydro support. :woop:
Yelan + XQ + Xiangling + Bennett is currently the team with the highest theoretical single-target DPS in the game on gcsim.app. Obviously, people are going to run them in separate teams for the hydro application a lot of the time, but it turns out that two characters with good off-field damage that can fuel their high-energy-cost bursts off of each other make a strong combination.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like the external tracker sites as much because you have to keep re-entering your item inventory by hand. i know genshin has a calculator in hoyolab now but it seemed to be decoupled from the game in the same inconvenient way.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've never been a fan of the sites for plotting out character materials. Having the grind laid out in front of you makes everything feel like a chore.

I worried about not keeping track of materials eventually biting me in the rear end, but it never has. Everything gets used eventually.

I'm very much in the same boat of "don't tell me the math". I remember grinding for the relic weapon in FFXIV and knowing I had to run Garuda EX like 247 more times made it way worse.

I take most of my characters to 80/80 and stop there unless they're going to be carrying on the field all the time i.e. Noelle or Hu Tao. If you aren't doing that last ascension then no one really has requirements that are *too* onerous. Most of the time it's a flower or something that I'm missing and then I just crack open a map of the spawns and loot them all.

There's nothing in the world that's going to make me go out and farm whopperflowers or samurai hilts or whatever anyway, that poo poo will just have to accumulate. Most I'll do is switch where my dailies are for those drops.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dogsicle posted:

i don't like the external tracker sites as much because you have to keep re-entering your item inventory by hand. i know genshin has a calculator in hoyolab now but it seemed to be decoupled from the game in the same inconvenient way.

There are third party tools to scan your inventory and automatically make a json file listing all your mats, which you can then upload to those sites

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I have 224% ER with an r5 favonius bow on Yelan so I'm not having any energy problems. She'll burst on cooldown, don't even have to remember to cycle back to her 10s into her burst. My biggest issue is handwringing over going for 4 element teams vs taking obvious elemental synergies that are probably much better.

Ayaka / Kazuha / Yelan / Sayu might be my new favorite exploration team. Just 4 characters with mobility enhancing skills and uhm, yep. Endlessly zip, dash, roll, and fly around.

1 normal off ICD + 1 CA is enough to wipe a hydro application, add in blood blossom proc and at any point in time you can end up with pyro auro instead of hydro on the enemy.

https://i.imgur.com/wywNs0q.mp4

I've looked it up and ten ten did a good video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eWPKU02qnw

There are ways around it but you have work for it and environment effects, other elemental shield swirling off or domain effect can break the CA vape chain. In this abyss run apart from just overwriting the hydro aura, the cryo application in 12-1-2 would occasionally break the chain too on its own. In 12-2-2 and 12-2-3 ulting with hu tao would sometimes screw up the auras too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are third party tools to scan your inventory and automatically make a json file listing all your mats, which you can then upload to those sites

oki guess the real distinction is you have to perform some action to update your inventory, none of the tools just feed into the game so i can be passive about it. having used one of those tools for artifacts they're definitely convenient but i don't want to run it every day or anything either.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Depending on your Xingqiu constellations he also shreds hydro resistance with his burst which means more off field damage from Yelan.

With him and Zhongli together I can shed even Hydro Fatui pretty effectively thanks to all that resist shred.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 7, 2022

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

dogsicle posted:

oki guess the real distinction is you have to perform some action to update your inventory, none of the tools just feed into the game so i can be passive about it. having used one of those tools for artifacts they're definitely convenient but i don't want to run it every day or anything either.

Also in my experience all the sites I've tried that can use the artifact json files have either failed to update some new artie set or have a limit of max artifact they accept and require you to either follow them on all social media or give a donation to increase it.

If there is an exception to that I would love to know.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Sanctum posted:

It's cause Xingqiu has always been kind of a monster, but his strength has always been hidden behind the fact that you usually had him alone on a team as the single hydro in order to enable other characters. But now that you have Yelan, you can use them as a supplementary off-field core for other onfield characters, kinda like Fischl+Beidou. The difference is, while Electro tends to mess up any reaction you're trying to do, Hydro is an element that you generally want to have applied on the enemy.

OR

You're talking to Hu Tao mains, who feel a profound sense of loss anytime they fail to trigger a vape reaction on a charge attack. lmao hypercarries

Edit: left this response lying open so long that I forgot the original post was about Hu Tao to begin with :bravo:

Edit2: forgot how to spell :(

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 7, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Xingqiu gives -hydro resistance, they battery each other, they both do some of the highest damage in the game, and they both want someone to do normal attacks for 15 seconds straight. From a mechanical perspective they are tied with Bennett+Xiangling for most natural single-element pairing in the game.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Raiden with Yelan felt really good on floor 12 this week. Was nice to be able to use Hutao and Raiden at the same time.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Somehow did not realize that using windy powers on a dandelion causes the fluff to blow away while the seeds to remain on the stem. I've been chasing after what I thought were the seeds while mashing the button to pick them up. Lumine blowing on a dandelion and then frantically trying to snatch all the seeds she just blew away out of the air.

Do they ever explain who in Teyvat got crucified? Do the crosses represent the time Venti T-posed to establish dominance over death? What's the lore, here.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Theres also things like taser that does really good aoe damage because of the anemo or electro charged reactions but has anemic single target damage, and Yelan + XQ does a fuckload of single target damage.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Now I'm wondering if there's any merit to a version of Sucrose Carry that takes Yelan+XQ for all that off field spamming.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Now I'm wondering if there's any merit to a version of Sucrose Carry that takes Yelan+XQ for all that off field spamming.
Sucrose+Yelan+Fischl+Xingqiu. It's better than the beidou version single target. But yelan's buff is a little wasted on sucrose so running Kazuha over sucrose and keeping yelan on-field can be better (the kazuha variant is roughly the highest damage non-melt non-vaporize team in the game)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 8, 2022

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm sure they'll rerun Kazuha one day.

:shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like the item tracking website because it looks nicer than a spreadsheet and it helps me because I get very easily paralyzed by choice so being able to look and go 'Okay whatever let's spend 6 resin crystals on Decabarain chains and knock that number down by 22.' Helps me a lot personally. It doesn't do anything regarding artifacts as far as I know, unless I'm not using the website to the fullest degree.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm sure they'll rerun Kazuha one day.

:shepface:

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be 2.8 with Heizou right? Itto's bringing Kuki with him the second half of this patch.