Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Imagine how high NHL ratings and viewership would be if someone got hit so hard they died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wonderllama posted:

I like kucherov, he’s my shithead.

Missed you yesterday.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Imagine how high NHL ratings and viewership would be if someone got hit so hard they died

the Lindros-Dackell hit is when the NHL peaked

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jehde posted:

What? No. I want sick dangles and plays, and players to not be subject to life altering injuries.

That being said I do think there needs to be an acceptable level of violence as a blow off valve so things don't get more insidious, idk.

Yeah after reading about Franzen having a bunch of post-retirement struggles and the Carcillo-Montador stuff, I'm gonna go ahead and say the cathartic value of seeing a guy get domed is basically nil for me.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

T-Bone posted:

the Lindros-Dackell hit is when the NHL peaked
Saw that live. Thought his brain exploded.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

It was kind of weird finding out that Phaneuf ended Sauer's career with what looked to be a legal and good hit.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Call Your Grandma posted:

It was kind of weird finding out that Phaneuf ended Sauer's career with what looked to be a legal and good hit.

I'm still mad about that one. No one ever made Phaneuf answer the bell. he woulda been fighting for years on that back when.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Thing about the Sauer hit was that his helmet popped off and (iirc) he clipped his head on the dasher on the way down, it was a very run-of-the-mill play with an unfortunate freak result. Kinda makes it hard to get riled up when the main culprit is a chin strap.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Old man Helm involved in another series winner

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Old man Helm involved in another series winner

Detroit Red Wings Legend Darren Helm continues to influence the world.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Rangers vs Avs would own.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
laaaaaaaaaaa laaaaaaaaaa bamba

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

laaaaaaaaaaa laaaaaaaaaa bamba

Is the song still stuck in your head weeks after those 4 losses?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Yay avs

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

*sings* GET FUUUUCKED OILERS! :toot:

I would have been FURIOUS if the Avs lost this game, because that would mean Kane would get a chance to play in another game, which he SO did not deserve.

I give the Avs a 20% chance to win against the Rangers and a 10% chance to win against the Lightning (Point would be back by then. I am twice as afraid of the Lightning as Rangers). Losing Kadri REALLY screws our chances at winning the Cup, we have noone that can adequately fill his role.

But I will settle for just being happy we made it to the Finals and not allow myself to feel sad about what might have been if Kadri wasn't assaulted by that villain, Kane. Although I would have liked the Avs chances to win against either team if Kadri was healthy.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well Rantanen has woken up and MacKinnon and Makar are still monsters so I think we still have good odds. Besides that we still have pretty great depth, sure being down Girard and Kadri makes it tough but they have some rest now and they have home ice advantage against either opponent.

I doubt the Avs will sweep or be swept but I'm sure the finals are going to be high energy and very exciting to watch, in many different ways

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Looks like the Oilers coach gets to go back to his side gig as vocalist in Barenaked Maybes: A Barenaked Ladies Tribute

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

New power rankings are out:

1) Rangers
2) Colorado
3) Wonderllama

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

DrunkPanda posted:

I give the Avs a 20% chance to win against the Rangers and a 10% chance to win against the Lightning
I think youve got those inverted. Avs are clearly the favorites.

It's only a question of whether the Avs go 16-4 or better.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Conn Smythe trophy rankings ... am I wrong saying it's Makar, Vasilevskiy, or Shesterkin at this point?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Avs: Makar/Mackinnon too close to call, depends on the Finals

Rangers: Zibanejad is the clear frontrunner but could still be Fox or Shesterkin

Lightning: They won't want to give it to Vasilevskiy again so probably Kucherov unless Vasi really carries them the rest of the way

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

gently caress Evander Kane

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Arabian Jesus posted:

gently caress Evander Kane

I dunno OP, hasn't worked out well for others who have tried it

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Kite posted:

I think youve got those inverted. Avs are clearly the favorites.

It's only a question of whether the Avs go 16-4 or better.

I don't like posting about posters, but I'm gonna need to see some ID to be convinced that Drunk Panda isn't Kawalimus in Avs fan cosplay.

Most predictors have the Avs as outright favorites against the winners of Tampa/NYR. Even if you think a hot goalie trump's everything, hockey is a high variance game and you'd be hard pressed to say any NHL team is more than a 90 - 10 dog against any other in a 7 game series, much less say Colorado is on the 10% side of that equation.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Avs: Makar/Mackinnon too close to call, depends on the Finals

Rangers: Zibanejad is the clear frontrunner but could still be Fox or Shesterkin

Lightning: They won't want to give it to Vasilevskiy again so probably Kucherov unless Vasi really carries them the rest of the way

Thanks for the analysis. I haven't been following the Eastern Conference Finals close enough to give credit to that degree to a non goalie.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Conn Smythe isn't complicated, if the winning team's goalie was notably great he'll get it, otherwise it generally goes to the top scorer, or a defenseman if the winner has a superstar defenseman and no forward really poured in the points. And they don't like giving it to the same guy twice unless it's Sidney Crosby.

Since the lockout:

2006: Goalie (Ward)
2007: Defenseman (Niedermayer)
2008: Top scorer (Zetterberg)
2009: Top scorer (Malkin)
2010: Top scorer (Toews)
2011: Goalie (Thomas)
2012: Goalie (Quick)
2013: Top scorer (Kane)
2014: Almost top scorer (Williams was one point back of Kopitar, but had those Game 7 winners)
2015: Defenseman (Keith)
2016: Second top scorer, because the media despise Phil Kessel (Crosby)
2017: Almost top scorer (Crosby was one point behind Malkin)
2018: Second top scorer/Lifetime achievement award (Ovechkin)
2019: Top scorer (O'Reilly)
2020: Defenseman (Hedman, this one was really weird, it should have been Kucherov)
2021: Goalie (Vasilevskiy)

I doubt it'll be a goalie this year unless Vasilevskiy or Shesterkin really catches fire. I would rule Vasilevskiy out but the voters seem really determined never to let Kucherov touch the Conn Smythe no matter how much better than everyone else he is.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 7, 2022

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1534009530325123079

miss you, lehks :unsmith:

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The more I watch Lehkonen, the more I think Sakic deserves Executive of the year. I really want that guy to stay with the Avs.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Aces High posted:

Well Rantanen has woken up and MacKinnon and Makar are still monsters so I think we still have good odds. Besides that we still have pretty great depth, sure being down Girard and Kadri makes it tough but they have some rest now and they have home ice advantage against either opponent.

I doubt the Avs will sweep or be swept but I'm sure the finals are going to be high energy and very exciting to watch, in many different ways

It appears that Rantanen was conserving his energy during the first 2 rounds to use in the 3rd round, he looked like a completely different player this series, effort-wise. He was even throwing checks, which I don't remember ever seeing him do before.

Also he easily could have had another 3-4 goals if Smith didn't make some amazing saves on him.

Anyway if we are talking about people we want to stay with the Avs, I pick Kadri. You have unfinished business, man! Give us at least one more season to try to win the Cup before you go pursuing a huge payday plz :ohdear:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mackinnon touching that trophy was definitely something that Sid told him to do

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

The more I watch Lehkonen, the more I think Sakic deserves Executive of the year. I really want that guy to stay with the Avs.

He does so many great things. Filled a gap I didn't know we had.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Mackinnon touching that trophy was definitely something that Sid told him to do

Without looking it up I assume Sakic did it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

That I am not sure about, but I know the Penguins have won every time they've touched it, and Sid is pretty close with Mackinnon. I'm sure he was whispering into his ear like Wormtongue to touch it

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

It looks like Landeskog & MacKinnon touched it, not sure who did first. But it doesn't matter, one team is going to win and one team is going to lose regardless if they both touch it or don't touch it or whatever.

It looks like Sakic had tears in his eyes during the post game :3: . Maybe he just had allergies, though :shobon:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

DrunkPanda posted:

It appears that Rantanen was conserving his energy during the first 2 rounds to use in the 3rd round, he looked like a completely different player this series, effort-wise. He was even throwing checks, which I don't remember ever seeing him do before.

It's also possible that whatever thing has been nagging him has gotten better, maybe because he didn't push too hard in the earlier rounds.

And it's also possible that he just looked better against Edmonton's defense than against St Lous'.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Koopa Kid posted:

Thing about the Sauer hit was that his helmet popped off and (iirc) he clipped his head on the dasher on the way down, it was a very run-of-the-mill play with an unfortunate freak result. Kinda makes it hard to get riled up when the main culprit is a chin strap.

this was probably one of the scariest ones I've seen live, you realized it was bad the second they showed the replay and the base of his skull smashed into the dasher

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Nailed it.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gabriel-landeskog-nathan-mackinnon-touch-campbell-bowl/c-334513894

quote:

"We were trying to figure out whether to touch it or not. Some guys wanted it, some guys didn't," Landeskog said.

"We asked (general manager) Joe (Sakic). … He said, 'Do whatever you want. Touch it.' So a couple of us touched it. It's not the one we really came for, and it doesn't really mean that much to us. So it's just a step in the right direction."

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

I don't like posting about posters, but I'm gonna need to see some ID to be convinced that Drunk Panda isn't Kawalimus in Avs fan cosplay.

Most predictors have the Avs as outright favorites against the winners of Tampa/NYR. Even if you think a hot goalie trump's everything, hockey is a high variance game and you'd be hard pressed to say any NHL team is more than a 90 - 10 dog against any other in a 7 game series, much less say Colorado is on the 10% side of that equation.

I don't think it's quite so stacked as that, but as much as I am rooting for the Avs at this point, it's hard to see them taking it with Girard and Kadri out and Francouz or a one-eyed Kuemper in net.

I do hope it's against the Rangers though, that would be a more fun series to watch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Francouz is fine. If they don't win the Cup Jack Johnson will be the reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Eric the Mauve posted:

Francouz is fine. If they don't win the Cup Jack Johnson will be the reason why.

I don't know about that. He let in like 3 incredibly bad goals last night, after letting in 2 incredibly bad goals the game before. After his first 2 games, I thought maybe he had turned the corner and would emerge as a capable starting goaltender.

But then he remembered that he was Frankie in the last 2 games :ohdear:

But I think Kuemper will be good to go for the Finals. It will have been a month and a half since Johanson tried to gouge out his eye, so it should be fine by then. If it's not, then I would imagine he has some serious issue which the medical staff should have detected much sooner and treated him for. So they will have some explaining to do if that's the case