Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

IDK what the difference between zfs-stats ans arc_summary is, but

My zpool status doesn't list anything as degraded:
code:
  pool: pool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 14:05:03 with 0 errors on Sun May 15 14:05:04 2022
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
	pool                                            ONLINE       0     0     0
	  raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/f705a0ef-5dce-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/f88eb502-5dce-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d2b88424-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d4b42333-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d6339699-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d7221c2f-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d819727c-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	    gptid/d9215ba7-5cbc-11ec-bda2-002590decd63  ONLINE       0     0     0
	cache
	  gptid/a8022ab5-69ed-11ec-877e-002590decd63    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
Then you're going to need to study arc_summary (it's either a go program or a python script) for what causes it to be marked DEGRADED, because I can't see a way that arc_summary can think it is without ZFS knowing it is.

That being said, it's Linux, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
this isn't how I wanted to make the top ten on 3DMark :(

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That being said, it's Linux, so :shrug:
I'm using the bsd version

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
OK, this may be a loaded question, but assuming a regular Windows 10 desktop and a Synology DS218, and for sake of argument they're running the exact same setup - a single 4TB Samsung SSD - on a wired gigabit ethernet connection to my router, would I see better read/write performance from one or the other when a wireless device reads/writes? Or are there way too many factors to make a call here?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MJP posted:

OK, this may be a loaded question, but assuming a regular Windows 10 desktop and a Synology DS218, and for sake of argument they're running the exact same setup - a single 4TB Samsung SSD - on a wired gigabit ethernet connection to my router, would I see better read/write performance from one or the other when a wireless device reads/writes? Or are there way too many factors to make a call here?

I'm guessing your wireless connection is going to be the bottleneck in any case.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CopperHound posted:

I'm using the bsd version
So far as I can see, /usr/local/bin/zfs-stats (which is just a shell script) doesn't feature any way to check the L2ARC status - so I'm confused.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Also, I'm now on 12.3, which was uneventful. I'll try 13 later.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

So far as I can see, /usr/local/bin/zfs-stats (which is just a shell script) doesn't feature any way to check the L2ARC status - so I'm confused.

try this unless they changed it

zfs-stats -a

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

If this is based on the python script I've found online, I'm guessing it just says degraded for any greater than zero error count.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
I'm moving and using that as an excuse to update my homelab. What is the curent best "no janitoring" home NAS setup that supports RAID, docker containers, and intel quicksync video? Is TrueNAS stable/reliable enough to click "update" without worrying about poo poo breaking?

Here is what I see as the options:

Option A, Get an old Synology NAS
I currently have a DSXX16 model that has an intel CPU that supports quicksync. Unfortunately, the DSXX21 and above models switched to AMD so there is no intel quicksync. I would need to find a ~2 year old Synology NAS (DSXX20 or less) and just use that.

Option B, Build a big TrueNAS box
Get an Intel CPU, a bunch of drives, put it in a box, and install TrueNAS. Is TrueNAS reliable enough to set and forget? Stable enough that updates won't randomly break poo poo that I'll need to debug? Are there other OSes here to consider?

Option C, Get a new Synology NAS and a small Intel QuickSync box
Go get the most recent Synology NAS, use that for everything except plex, and then build a small i3 box (maybe a little intel NUC) that just mounts media storage over NFS and use that for plex transcoding. This is probably fine if both boxes are connected over 1gbe. Synology NAS is no janitoring, and I can probably manage running one other NUC.

Option D, something else?

The bottom line is I don't want to be randomly debugging things because poo poo breaks all the time. This is why I have preferred a "one machine" approach with my current Synology NAS with less moving parts and less things to go wrong. It's a shame Synology abandoned the intel CPUs because otherwise I would just go buy a new one. But now I'm forced to buy an older model, or think about alternatives like B and C. Also I'm willing to pay if there is other commercial solutions here that "just work".

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
TrueNAS has gotten a lot better at updates, both at not making things break every time, and making it easy to stay on a slower train. It's also going to be more work to set up than a synology. If you are interesting in learning and putting in that work, it can be fairly hands-off. These days I only really check on mine every couple of months to make sure there's no notifications I missed and all the scheduled scrubs/snapshots/cloud syncs are still humming.

That said, if a synology + a lil NUC would suffice, and it almost certainly would, that's going to be easiest. Let the synology handle the storage and disk touching. And you can fuss with whatever flavor linux on the NUC down to the bare metal, to run your containers without worrying about the pool.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I’m almost done with my desktop build, where I have 2x 2.5” slots in a Fractal Meshify 2 that I want to use for U.2 drives. I bought two M.2 to U.2 cable adapters, and they worked fine with some Gen3 U.2 drives (PM1725 and a SK PE6011) — show up in BIOS, link up just fine.

I got two eBay PM1733s (MZWLJ7T6HALA) and they aren’t showing up at all… nor are they heating up. Looking at the U.2 pin out, I don’t see an obvious DEVSLP pin or something like that — the PM1725 heats up just fine / shows up to the machine, these PM1733s remain ice cold. I forced the link training speeds to Gen1 in BIOS, to see if that was the issue — nothing. They were sold advertised as ‘pulled / working’.

Are these vendor-lockable? Even if so, I’d expect them to be drawing power and heating up.

I have a TRX40 mobo, so bifurcation is no problem and I have effectively 6 Gen 4 x4 links to do whatever I want with. I have a HYPER M.2 loaded in a x16 slot w/ 4x 2 TB drives, and the two on-board M.2s I had the cables hooked up to those Gen3 U.2 drives.

Looking around for various cable adapters, I think what I want are either:

1. M.2 to U.2, Gen4 capable break out cables. This is the most effective usage of lanes.
2. PCIe x16 to U.2 x2 card — I saw someone on eBay selling a pair of WD UltraStars with a card like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/2949757594...emis&media=COPY), but I have never been able to find such a card on its own. This would remove a lot of signal integrity issues and ‘waste’ half my lanes, but it would work.
3. PCIe x16 to some-kind-of-bifurcated SAS/OCulink/etc connector card (https://www.microsatacables.com/pcie-x16-gen4-with-redriver-to-slimsas-8i-dual-port-aic), and then new cables to the U.2 drives. Do… something with the leftover lanes.

I’m kinda just playing the “how much storage can I fit into this box for fun” game — I have a separate NAS, my brain is just broken when I see un-used I/O and connectors. M.2 drives are easy to pack in, but I want to take advantage of the 2 2.5” drive spots, where U.2 works perfectly.

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Chilled Milk posted:

TrueNAS has gotten a lot better at updates, both at not making things break every time, and making it easy to stay on a slower train. It's also going to be more work to set up than a synology. If you are interesting in learning and putting in that work, it can be fairly hands-off. These days I only really check on mine every couple of months to make sure there's no notifications I missed and all the scheduled scrubs/snapshots/cloud syncs are still humming.

That said, if a synology + a lil NUC would suffice, and it almost certainly would, that's going to be easiest. Let the synology handle the storage and disk touching. And you can fuss with whatever flavor linux on the NUC down to the bare metal, to run your containers without worrying about the pool.

This is helpful advice, thank you!

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Unless you really want raid, unraid is probably the best no janitoring experience to get up and running fast with a small degree of protection against drive failure. Sync your important non-linux isos to the cloud and the rest can always be replaced if something goes wrong.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

salted hash browns posted:

I'm moving and using that as an excuse to update my homelab. What is the curent best "no janitoring" home NAS setup that supports RAID, docker containers, and intel quicksync video? Is TrueNAS stable/reliable enough to click "update" without worrying about poo poo breaking?

I'd second Unraid as a really nice turnkey solution.

Another option would be Qnap. It looks like they have a few more intel options than Synology and they have a very similar software stack.

Comparing their 6 bay units they have the TS-635D for $750 with a Celeron. You can also jump up to a TVS-672X series which starts at $1500 for an i3.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Welp. The ds112j is throwing a fit once again. After the 5 days to copy 3TB off it over usb and another 5 day wait to get 100k/100GB of files deleted, I'm now stuck in some sort of hell where everything times out. It's possible this is because I enabled the media server package on a lark and it's now choking on some sort of indexing. Occasionally it'll allow me to log into the interface, but resource monitor, package center, you name it, conks out, so I can't uninstall it. I wouldn't care if it would still properly serve files in the mean time, but it doesn't really.

I bought all this in 2013, so I'm figuring to abandon ship and get a new unit, new disks and start over. Is the jump to the Intel processor and upgradeable memory worth it in, say, the ds220+? It doesn't really need to do anything beyond serving and accepting files from up to two users and automate periodic backups, but I'm sick as poo poo of this weedy ARM crap that falls over at a wisp, so I'm looking at a bit of comparative overkill. They're still segmenting off the ARM stuff as budget devices because they're as low powered as they can get away with right? Even if ARM cpus have probably come some way in the last 10 years?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

salted hash browns posted:

Option B, Build a big TrueNAS box
Get an Intel CPU, a bunch of drives, put it in a box, and install TrueNAS. Is TrueNAS reliable enough to set and forget? Stable enough that updates won't randomly break poo poo that I'll need to debug? Are there other OSes here to consider?

I moved away from Free/TrueNAS because Docker containers were a pain there, and ended up with Openmediavault.
The web interface feels similar to FreeNAS (which shouldn't be a surprise, because it was made by the same guy), but it runs on Linux (Debian) instead of FreeBSD.
I haven't had any issues with updates breaking things so far, even the big version upgrade from 5 to 6 (which included an upgrade from Debian 10 to 11) worked flawlessly.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Tamba posted:

I moved away from Free/TrueNAS because Docker containers were a pain there, and ended up with Openmediavault.
The web interface feels similar to FreeNAS (which shouldn't be a surprise, because it was made by the same guy), but it runs on Linux (Debian) instead of FreeBSD.
I haven't had any issues with updates breaking things so far, even the big version upgrade from 5 to 6 (which included an upgrade from Debian 10 to 11) worked flawlessly.

Do you know if Docker is easier to set up in TrueNAS Scale?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Smashing Link posted:

Do you know if Docker is easier to set up in TrueNAS Scale?

Yea Scale supports Docker natively.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
What makes TrueNAS harder to get off the ground? I was considering one of their Mini SKUs and buying my own drives. Is it just ZFS being tougher to learn than shallower file systems, FreeBSD, or...?

All I want to do is run Plex and some backups, and I have Windows licenses to spare that would let me use Code42, but I'm not keen on spending another $10/month if B2B would be cheaper and ReFS sounds far too black box for something so critical to a multi-terabyte array.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

withoutclass posted:

Yea Scale supports Docker natively.
Via Kubernetes bullshit.

You could do it manually in the shell, if you don't dig k3s spinning one of your CPU cores at 100%, but the related Docker config gets scrubbed every update (so you'd have to backup and restore manually).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
TBQH I've had enough issues with these 1-click install deals across different systems, I've just stood up my own VM for running my containers and never looked back.

Shumagorath posted:

What makes TrueNAS harder to get off the ground? I was considering one of their Mini SKUs and buying my own drives. Is it just ZFS being tougher to learn than shallower file systems, FreeBSD, or...?

All I want to do is run Plex and some backups, and I have Windows licenses to spare that would let me use Code42, but I'm not keen on spending another $10/month if B2B would be cheaper and ReFS sounds far too black box for something so critical to a multi-terabyte array.

There is more to learn upfront about ZFS. How to best lay out your pool(s), maintenance stuff like scrubs/snapshots/replications, how recovery/resilvering works. It's not totally alien stuff, but if it's your first exposure to this area it's another layer to learn. TrueNAS walks you through and/or automates some of it, but you'll eventually need some working knowledge of the basics to effectively maintain it. Kinda the tradeoff to get that good good ZFS. That said, once it's good and going it's not really any more effort to janitor than anything else. Or I've just gotten better at it who could say.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Chilled Milk posted:

There is more to learn upfront about ZFS. How to best lay out your pool(s), maintenance stuff like scrubs/snapshots/replications, how recovery/resilvering works. It's not totally alien stuff, but if it's your first exposure to this area it's another layer to learn. TrueNAS walks you through and/or automates some of it, but you'll eventually need some working knowledge of the basics to effectively maintain it. Kinda the tradeoff to get that good good ZFS. That said, once it's good and going it's not really any more effort to janitor than anything else. Or I've just gotten better at it who could say.
It's also the only way to have as dependable storage as possible, with the usual caveat that it still needs backup.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm standing up a backup server with 36x18TB disks. Is TrueNAS Scale the future, and completely ready to use for something to be low-maintenance for the hardware's whole lifecycle? Or should I stick with TrueNAS Core?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any canucks see any good drive prices recently? My 4x6TB Unraid is getting up into the mid 80% utilization and thinkin bout adding some more drives.. Wondering what the sweet spot is these days. If 6TBs are cheap as heck I could just throw a few in there (and possibly have to upgrade my unraid)

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I've got a new internal disk to replace my old Buffalo NAS. Other than robocopy, are there any good free Windows utilities to migrate my data? Optimally I'd like to be able to adjust how much bandwidth it consumes, or have it schedule when it runs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Any canucks see any good drive prices recently? My 4x6TB Unraid is getting up into the mid 80% utilization and thinkin bout adding some more drives.. Wondering what the sweet spot is these days. If 6TBs are cheap as heck I could just throw a few in there (and possibly have to upgrade my unraid)

Not Canadian so YMMV. When I bought my disks about a year ago, 8TBs already made sense. Also check if there's a sale on WD Elements, they're using, supposedly, the same drives as WD Reds and are often much cheaper.

E: US$ 178 for 12TB, stolen from reddit:

quote:

The official WD store has some WD Elements on sale right now and you also get a free 128GB USB Stick with an order and an additional year warranty (at least in the EU)

This results in €166,59 for a 12TB Elements in the German store with +1 year extra warranty +usb stick +free shipping (€13,8825/TB)

You reach this price if you put products worth >500 in your basket, abort the order on the last step and wait a day; you will receive a -15% off coupon for your purchase. This voucher is available in the EU, not sure about other regions.

Seems a lot (or all) countries have this sale at the moment, the price in the US for 12TB is $210 instead of $260. With the -15% discount it would be $178,50.

Inside are WD120EDBZ or WD120EMFZ or WD120EDGZ. All helium models.

Also other TB models are on sale

https://imgur.com/a/X3bRevf

DE: https://www.westerndigital.com/de-de/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-EESN

AT: https://www.westerndigital.com/de-at/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-EESN

US: https://www.westerndigital.com/en-us/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN

UPDATE: it is definitely working for the US, I received the voucher today and the price gets reduced to $178,49 !

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/v6pmu4/psa_wd_elements_12tb_on_sale_with_free_128gb_usb/

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thanks! That's pointing me in the right direction, 8-12TB.. I guess when I plop a larger drive into Unraid the largest takes over as the parity drive so I'll bear that in mind.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I had been running a QNAP NAS for the past few years, but somehow there must have been an online/cloud-facing service active that I never used which was exploited and my files encrypted. Luckily, the backup drive I had hooked up to it was unconnected at the time for unrelated reasons, so I didn't lose everything.

If I want something easy to set up and secure, is a 2 bay Synology with 2 mirrored 10TB drives my best bet?

Most of my files are not video files, and the QNAP had 4 4TB drives in raid 5 which weren't even close to full, so I'm thinking 10TB should work out for me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm standing up a backup server with 36x18TB disks. Is TrueNAS Scale the future, and completely ready to use for something to be low-maintenance for the hardware's whole lifecycle? Or should I stick with TrueNAS Core?
I don't have any special knowledge of what their plans are, but they've been saying over and over that they're not abandoning TrueNAS Core.

Does this mean it'll be better forever? No, TrueNAS Scale will probably reach parity sooner or later (driven largely by the hard requirements that anything implemented on any supported platform in OpenZFS needs to work on all supported platforms before being committed and pushed) and some people will switch over - but there's still plenty of reasons for them to keep both active.
Ultimately they have plenty of commercial contracts which they'd have to break in order to kill TrueNAS Core.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ive got two very old synology NAS's (the newest one is 10 years old) with about 12TB of storage. they're too old to really transcode stuff from them to my apple tv 4k and was wondering if it was time to upgrade to something newer or if there was something I could put between the storage and the streamer and save me a few bucks and keep from consigning these two units to the ewaste bin.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If the Synologies are still doing fine in everything other than transcodes, I'd pick up a small PC running a modern-ish Intel CPU with Quicksync and use it as your Plex server, mounting the library itself over the network.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal
I use one of these as my plex server: https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Wind...aps%2C46&sr=8-3 and it's a beast. I run the usual cabal of programs on it like nzbget, rtorrent, etc, and nothing slows it down. And it's on sale for $390.15. Runs Linux perfectly as well. This would be a perfect solution instead of spending twice that amount on a new Synology which would have inferior capabilities compared to this NUC device.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Upgrading my NAS to a recent Ryzen platform... I guess 64GB of RAM ought to do for a while, too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the last thing I did to my Synology NAS was add a 4TB HGST disk as non-redundant storage for my Linux ISOs. Buut I kind of forgot that it's a notoriously noisy drive and does seek noises every few seconds even when it's not actually doing anything. And maybe because of this it also seems to keep the system from hibernating.

But I don't see any way to turn the drive off anywhere. There's a grayed-out "Deactivate" option under HDD/SSD, and there are only "Remove" buttons under storage pool and volume. So there's really no way to bring it offline short of physically pulling out the drive to see what it does to noise and hibernation? It's one drive in one storage pool and volume.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 10, 2022

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
The more I read about this stuff, the less I seem to know, so I'll just brain-dump some questions here.

I wanna build a NAS to get some data off of drives that are just sitting in anti-static bags on a shelf. I was thinking about getting a Jonsbo N1 and putting 5 16tb drives in it in a RaidZ3 configuration, and then getting a single 16tb usb drive as some kind of backup (I'm dumb as hell and don't know how to back up a NAS to that USB drive but it's something I want to do. Perhaps I can build a simple 2 bay NAS for backups?). I think once I get rid of old stuff off the drives I don't care about, it'll most likely fit on a single 16tb drive, but I wanna build my NAS out for future expansion and save the external backup for stuff I actually care about.

I have no clue what parts to pick out really to get the whole ecc and zfs thing. I think what I'd like to do is to be able to host a few things on it as well, like pihole, a webpage diff scanner thing, and maybe a couple other simple things. Eventually someday plex. I think the only thing I know is if I want to go ryzen, I'd have to get a Pro CPU.

Sorry for the braindump aag.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Korean Boomhauer posted:

The more I read about this stuff, the less I seem to know, so I'll just brain-dump some questions here.

I wanna build a NAS to get some data off of drives that are just sitting in anti-static bags on a shelf. I was thinking about getting a Jonsbo N1 and putting 5 16tb drives in it in a RaidZ3 configuration, and then getting a single 16tb usb drive as some kind of backup (I'm dumb as hell and don't know how to back up a NAS to that USB drive but it's something I want to do. Perhaps I can build a simple 2 bay NAS for backups?). I think once I get rid of old stuff off the drives I don't care about, it'll most likely fit on a single 16tb drive, but I wanna build my NAS out for future expansion and save the external backup for stuff I actually care about.

I have no clue what parts to pick out really to get the whole ecc and zfs thing. I think what I'd like to do is to be able to host a few things on it as well, like pihole, a webpage diff scanner thing, and maybe a couple other simple things. Eventually someday plex. I think the only thing I know is if I want to go ryzen, I'd have to get a Pro CPU.

Sorry for the braindump aag.
You could get an off-the-shelf solution from Synology or QNAP if you don't want to janitor all this stuff. Although if you want, I'm sure someone would be able to help with that as well.

I basically had the same situation with old drives sitting in various states of neglect that I wanted to finally consolidate everything to make sure I don't lose any old photos and other things that I forgot to migrate. Most disks were pretty old and so small, so I put two 8TB drives in a 4-bay Synology and copied everything there. Would you really need 5 16TB drives of capacity?

An external drive to back up the important stuff separately is certainly a good idea though.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Oh yeah I don't mind janitoring stuff, as long as it's not super busy work and can largely be automated.

I could certainly fill that space up once I start video editing again. I'm not against getting a Synology or QNAP, but if I can save a bit of cash and get something I can do more with, I'd much rather do that.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So I'm not sure if I worded my last post wrong, but:

If I think that a Synology DS220+ is the right solution for me, would this be the right type of drive to shuck?

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN

I know that certain external drives have SATA pin configurations that don't work with some NAS units without hacks. From a quick Google search, I've also read that WD externals can have different power configurations depending on the retailer (I guess because Best Buy has "WD Easystore" and not "WD Elements")?

I was also recommended to buy two drives from two separate retailers to minimize the chances that I get two drives from the same batch that will start failing at around the same time. Is that a significant risk?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

putting 5 16tb drives in it in a RaidZ3

Seems highly unusual to use raidz3 for just five drives, personally. Even if you're highly paranoid about drive failures I'd either do raidz2 across all five, raidz2 across four with a hot spare, or a pair of mirrors with a hot spare.

Alternatively, consider just doing raidz across three drives and using the money saved towards an offsite backup.

Quixzlizx posted:

So I'm not sure if I worded my last post wrong, but:

If I think that a Synology DS220+ is the right solution for me, would this be the right type of drive to shuck?

https://www.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/wd-elements-desktop-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN

I know that certain external drives have SATA pin configurations that don't work with some NAS units without hacks. From a quick Google search, I've also read that WD externals can have different power configurations depending on the retailer (I guess because Best Buy has "WD Easystore" and not "WD Elements")?

I was also recommended to buy two drives from two separate retailers to minimize the chances that I get two drives from the same batch that will start failing at around the same time. Is that a significant risk?

Thanks.

Elements / Easystore are completely interchangeable, best guess is the only reason both brands exist is to limit price-matching between retailers. If you put a shucked WD drive into an enclosure that exposes 3.3V to the drive, you will need to tape the appropriate pins on the drive so that it doesn't go to sleep. I'm not familiar with Synology myself but a few hits on Reddit and Slickdeals lead me to believe they don't have 3.3v at the SATA power connectors so you might not have to tape anything on the drive.

Mixing retailers / drive batches is a "nice to have" but it's really not critical, because again if you really care about this data you need to have a backup. Even when I did have a batch of near-adjacent serial numbered drives fail "together", it was still weeks to months between each failure and they were years old at that point.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 11, 2022