Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

The proofs in the pudding. Guy's gotta post a snippet of something legit before I'd take him seriously.

that's my feeling. it does almost seem too much to be true, having dirt in writing on so many people from the biggest villain magnet going on earth at the moment, but weirder stuff has leaked before. the thing that makes me lean toward it being real is just how hosed up the crypto influencer population is already known to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Look guys, I’m sure @bonghitter69 is totally legit. I have no idea why you’d doubt some random dude on Twitter who has given zero proof of anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

NtotheTC posted:

this is too long, could you do me a favour and summarise in bullet points why people should use this over the current system. I'm going to have to ask you to leave out "is generally faster" and "immune to phishing/skimming attacks" because they're lies.

because i've hampered you a bit there I will help you out and give you one to start you off:

• "people should use it because it's a pyramid i'm currently at the top of and have a vested interest in succeeding"

It's amazing, I remember my first interaction with a crypto bro ~8-9 years ago and it was exactly the same. He'd blather on about the technical intricacies of blockchain, and I'd ask, "Ok, but what does it actually DO better than our current system?" and he would just continue with his previous rant as if that answered my question.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's amazing, I remember my first interaction with a crypto bro ~8-9 years ago and it was exactly the same. He'd blather on about the technical intricacies of blockchain, and I'd ask, "Ok, but what does it actually DO better than our current system?" and he would just continue with his previous rant as if that answered my question.

The Flexa whitepaper attempts to address this, but doesn't really back it up.

The first is laughable (and isn't the only one). In payment cards alone there are dozens of choices targeting every possible market.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
My CC takes approx 5 seconds to complete the average transaction. Even if Flexa is somehow faster, what do I gain other than maybe 2 or 3 seconds?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

What I love about crypto bros is every. single. one. kramers in with the same aggressive, caustic personality ready to fight to the death for their stupid "investments." None of them are ever chill in the slightest, nobody is ever like "Well I had this experience that was pretty ok but I see why you're skeptical" or anything, it's always "I am RICH from my GENIUS BRAIN and you're STUPID AS gently caress for not DUMPING YOUR LIFE SAVINGS INTO APECOINS"

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Scratch Monkey posted:

My CC takes approx 5 seconds to complete the average transaction. Even if Flexa is somehow faster, what do I gain other than maybe 2 or 3 seconds?

I think they might be referring to the fact that a CC can take a few days for purchases/payments to post? But, that's dumb because they do a pending post to verify funds/credit availability instantly and that reflects in your account balance. Debit cards are also just purely instant.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cool Dad posted:

What I love about crypto bros is every. single. one. kramers in with the same aggressive, caustic personality ready to fight to the death for their stupid "investments." None of them are ever chill in the slightest, nobody is ever like "Well I had this experience that was pretty ok but I see why you're skeptical" or anything, it's always "I am RICH from my GENIUS BRAIN and you're STUPID AS gently caress for not DUMPING YOUR LIFE SAVINGS INTO APECOINS"

The thing that rules is the thread pretty much never rising to the bait either and being completely blasé about it like “ok dude tl;dr. Also: buttcoin” lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

The first is laughable (and isn't the only one). In payment cards alone there are dozens of choices targeting every possible market.

Did a ctrl+f for fraud to see how the whitepaper explains how Flexa is less susceptible to fraud than traditional payment processors and the sole bullet point that comes up is "Flexa means all transactions are final and immutable", which is basically the opposite of fraud protection.

Eliminating the possibility of chargebacks is obviously appealing for merchants and payment processors, but it comes at the direct expense of consumers, which a payment processing network requires buy-in from to be worth anything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

2 to 3 seconds is nothing for your transaction, but would be huge on the back end given the sheer quantity of transactions that occur.

This is assuming it could behave consistently and scale up well, which I think we all know isn't happening. Plus however many other inherent problems there are with Scheme to Mainstream Crypto #3381 which I don't give a gently caress about to look into what they would be.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Cool Dad posted:

It's very amusing, yes. Ultimately, if you're asking any kind of pertinent questions or applying any scrutiny whatsoever, then you're not the target demographic. These people are mostly emotional children who are targeting other emotional children, who will likely smash the first link inside 4 seconds when they say they got RICH doing this and YOU CAN TOO BY GETTING IN ON THE GROUND FLOOR!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

the holy poopacy posted:

Did a ctrl+f for fraud to see how the whitepaper explains how Flexa is less susceptible to fraud than traditional payment processors and the sole bullet point that comes up is "Flexa means all transactions are final and immutable", which is basically the opposite of fraud protection.

Eliminating the possibility of chargebacks is obviously appealing for merchants and payment processors, but it comes at the direct expense of consumers, which a payment processing network requires buy-in from to be worth anything.

Not only chargebacks but also honest mistakes. I’ve accidentally had my card double charged or charged for the wrong amount (and also done both several times in years of working retail/food service). What’s the plan there?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

2 to 3 seconds is nothing for your transaction, but would be huge on the back end given the sheer quantity of transactions that occur.

It doesnt really matter, its not like the payment network can only process one transaction at a time. Most of that time is just packets flowing over the internet anyways, something any payment network has to do.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I just bought a magic digital money doubler from some nice guys I met in email. Checkmate funge addicts.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

fullroundaction posted:

Not only chargebacks but also honest mistakes. I’ve accidentally had my card double charged or charged for the wrong amount (and also done both several times in years of working retail/food service). What’s the plan there?

Look at it this way, eventually someone will accidentally give you more money than they meant to. It all just evens out in the end. This is a feature.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I think it can be summarized as:

🖕🖕🖕:fuckoff:🖕🖕🖕

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Like I’m sure the platform would give merchants the ability to issue refunds, but that’s putting 100% trust in the merchant with no Visa etc merchant services as a layer of protection. That might be fine for a local shop that you can go into and raise hell until you get what you want (maybe) but I’m sure as poo poo not shopping online like that.

Hahaha think about eBay but without PayPal protection.

e: to be clear I loving hate PayPal, but they’ve saved my rear end many times when buyers tried to pull a fast one after receiving my item or whatever.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 7, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I ain't ever clicking a link, so did that dude actually record & post a video of himself REALLY AGGRESSIVELY using a gift card at Chipotle, to purchase a burrito bowl, because THIS IS THE REVOLUTION SHITHEADS?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wasn’t the first legal business to accept bitcoins a burrito place? Is time repeating itself?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just me and a bro at chipotle enjoying the financial ~revolution~

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

SettingSun posted:

I don't know about the US, but bank transfers have been almost instant for years here in the UK.

Also what do they even mean by "mobile wallet"? As my understanding of "mobile wallet" would have the exact same functionality as a credit card (as in, Google Pay) or are they referring to some kind of crypto wallet, in which case it should have a big red X next to everything?

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

snotball007 posted:

They are basically witchcraft and sorcery from math nerds.

This is how I can tell a moron from miles away

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
"security:...need to use the system without fear of deception or failure"

*Proceeds to lose entire balance because of misplaced seed phrase.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

JonathonSpectre posted:

Oh man I hope that Telegram stuff just turns into a conveyor belt into federal prison.

Also lol for-loving-ever at "play to earn." gently caress. OFF.

About twenty years ago during the dotcom bubble this was actually, although very briefly, a thing. A site called heat.net, backed by Sega, would give you credits for every hour playing games, which hilariously includes single player games like Baldur's Gate. Players could redeem their tokens for free games or hardware.

As with all dotcom startups it gobbled shitloads of money in an attempt to increase a nebulous idea of market share. I ended up getting a new graphics card, 56k modem and two or three new release games before it folded under the weight of its ludicrous business model

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Flowers for QAnon posted:

snotball has to be trollin', but then again anyone defending crypto has already lost everything, this online bullshiting, is really all they have left.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

priznat posted:

Just me and a bro at chipotle enjoying the financial ~revolution~

Guy on the right is going to discover why no one uses single point slings anymore cause the second he lets go of his rifle and tries to walk the mag is going to send his testicles up inside his body.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tirade posted:

About twenty years ago during the dotcom bubble this was actually, although very briefly, a thing. A site called heat.net, backed by Sega, would give you credits for every hour playing games, which hilariously includes single player games like Baldur's Gate. Players could redeem their tokens for free games or hardware.

As with all dotcom startups it gobbled shitloads of money in an attempt to increase a nebulous idea of market share. I ended up getting a new graphics card, 56k modem and two or three new release games before it folded under the weight of its ludicrous business model

Remember those companies that would pay you to have a little ad serving popup on your desktop? I know guys who would automate mouse movements and keyboard presses to spoof it and then do that on dozens of computers they administered at a college after hours. They got actual checks in the thousands before the plug got pulled.

B-Rock452 posted:

Guy on the right is going to discover why no one uses single point slings anymore cause the second he lets go of his rifle and tries to walk the mag is going to send his testicles up inside his body.

Gotta look HSLD though! :haw:

Honestly every time I see a pic of one of those goobers I think them going on a 45 minute walk every day would be infinitely better for their health and safety than slingin a rifle everywhere

priznat fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 7, 2022

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

duh, cryptocurrencies invented this little thing called "crypto". look it up it's all about security and maths and crazy black magic like zero knowledge proofs that noone really understands and CERTAINTLY aren't already widely used!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SettingSun posted:

It also seems to assume that someone will only pay with one of the options. Like, I have a bank account AND a credit card, so I can use whichever one is better for the current situations. And the checkmarks don't make sense either - I've totally got credit cards with no fees, and paying with either my credit card or debit card is CERTAINLY speedy since I can just tap it at most places.

The first one, Freedom of Choice, is also totally disingenuous - it can't be checked unless the payment option has BOTH no fees AND "mechanisms of unwarranted control" (and then doesn't even explain what that MEANS). Does my bank have no fees but "unwarranted control"? No check! Does my credit card have fees but no "unwarranted control?" No check!

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And the checkmarks don't make sense either - I've totally got credit cards with no fees

Are they talking about fees for the consumer or fees for the merchant? Because if it's the former, I've never used a CC with consumer fees and the only CC I use right now has cash-back which could be construed as a negative fee.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

that stuck out to me too, especially the analogy that is not even remotely similar to zero knowledge proofs

its very funny that zkp has become a marketing buzzword but i guess that should be expected

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

priznat posted:

Remember those companies that would pay you to have a little ad serving popup on your desktop? I know guys who would automate mouse movements and keyboard presses to spoof it and then do that on dozens of computers they administered at a college after hours. They got actual checks in the thousands before the plug got pulled.

gently caress I think I ran something similar on my home computer and got about fifty bucks which was a nice beer bonus in college.

It's what amazes me about the crypto wave. None of this is new (too much VC money, poorly thought out solutions to problems no one has, price manias), just somehow stupider and more openly fraudulent.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
cash gives me freedom to get burrito from places that are not Chipotle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vashro posted:

cash gives me freedom to get burrito from places that are not Chipotle

This is a problem for Chipotle that Flexa elegantly solves!!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

snotball007 posted:

A good example I like to think of is "How would you, irl, let someone know if you are over 21 years of age WITHOUT showing your birthday", and a simple example would be "A different color/format of ID" as some states have color codes for ID's based by age.

and by reversing that 1 and 2 we can see why crypto bros are so interested in the system

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Are they talking about fees for the consumer or fees for the merchant? Because if it's the former, I've never used a CC with consumer fees and the only CC I use right now has cash-back which could be construed as a negative fee.

It says "basic consumer criteria" so either it means that or they need to relabel their chart

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

cryptos bros will never gently caress

tango alpha delta posted:

i'm not just talking about money, but relationships, which is something else i suspect crypto bros just aren't very good at.

e: lol, i'm calling it right now; friends on the blockchain and friends by concensus and FrieNdFTs. it's the future of relationships!

Yo, check out my NFT. It says I have her the D

:smug:

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It says "basic consumer criteria" so either it means that or they need to relabel their chart

Christ, who uses a credit card with consumer fees?? Are these crypto guys dusting off old pyramid scheme literature from the 80s and just copy/pasting it into whitepapers?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Christ, who uses a credit card with consumer fees?? Are these crypto guys dusting off old pyramid scheme literature from the 80s and just copy/pasting it into whitepapers?

Like always they are just making up a problem so they can solve it, but in the end they just want to evangelize crypto so line go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Gotta look HSLD though! :haw:

Honestly every time I see a pic of one of those goobers I think them going on a 45 minute walk every day would be infinitely better for their health and safety than slingin a rifle everywhere

I had a geocities Wizardry 7 tip site in like 1998 and I made people click through on an ad and use one of the first words on the page as a password to get to the actual site

I made like $50 before the company serving the ad shut me down, that was big money when I was a kid!