Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the hot springs episode is mostly eh but it is funny that simon overhearing yoko saying good things about him and deciding not to peak on the girls' bath after all is a surprisingly sweet and defining character beat for him setting him apart more from kamina that the censored version entirely loses making the whole episode worthless

if you're gonna cut that beat you might as well just. cut the entire episode. nothing in it is of any value without it lol. and that's the only version of the ep available on any streaming services hosting the show so you basically just never get to see that if you're streaming it legally

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The hot springs episode had kamina slapping his own rear end in simon's direction and it got a juvenile chuckle outta me

I think I saw a rei and an asuka in it. That's my episode report.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Rewatched the first season of SAC_2045 and just started the second. I don't know if it's because of improvements in workflow over the past two years or just the change in scenery but the CGI looks so much better, the entire highway episode was awesome.

I still don't think I'd say it's better looking than the old hand drawn look, but I'm guessing it gives them more freedom to do cool set pieces and fight choreography within time and budget constraints. After getting used to movies and TV shows where action scenes have way too many cuts its great to see sick fights that are continuous shots.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Esaki nooooo

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 7, 2022

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Srice posted:

Very well, I'll cherry pick the whole thing. A huge cherry, all for myself.

there's no way you thought the final episode was good. unless you only watched ai sing karaoke and a few shots of her being sad in the rain

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

spoilers please

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sorry, thought it was vague enough because it was really funny despite, well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1534023434174627840?s=20&t=hSbF72YfNYCgU8FCIHjM0g

Berserk will continue, drawn by Studio Gaga under the supervision of Kouji Mori, a close friend of Miura

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/berserk_project/status/1534023434174627840?s=20&t=hSbF72YfNYCgU8FCIHjM0g

Berserk will continue, drawn by Studio Gaga under the supervision of Kouji Mori, a close friend of Miura

So the story is he was chatting with Mori for 25+ years about his plans for Berserk, and Mori is claiming that he was the only person in the world told how Miura planned to end it?

I guess go for it, but his line about refusing to write anything he can't remember Miura saying sounds like it'll be a real problem as they get going on the process especially if he refuses to guess or write what he thinks Miura would like.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
There is a sociology phd thesis on the history of amvs. If you need some references. I have files dating from 2001.

ccubed fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 7, 2022

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

pentyne posted:

So the story is he was chatting with Mori for 25+ years about his plans for Berserk, and Mori is claiming that he was the only person in the world told how Miura planned to end it?

I guess go for it, but his line about refusing to write anything he can't remember Miura saying sounds like it'll be a real problem as they get going on the process especially if he refuses to guess or write what he thinks Miura would like.

otoh its an extremely heartfelt message from miuras friend and coworkers about how they're going to respect his vision for the series

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Big Leg posted:

there's no way you thought the final episode was good. unless you only watched ai sing karaoke and a few shots of her being sad in the rain

When I say I enjoyed it all that includes the finale, yes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice the anime enjoyer. Controversial stance in 2022

Namtab fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 7, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Strongest anime liker right now. How long will they hold the title

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Srice posted:

When I say I enjoyed it all that includes the finale, yes.

then i respect your commitment to enjoying anime. for what it's worth (spoiling because at least one active viewer in thread) i think the frill episode is one of the best episodes in the show, and i think the ai helping ai penultimate episode was a good premise (even if the execution wasn't perfect). but i can't understand the final episode as anything but a rejection of the central premise of show: it's bad when men in positions of power abuse women. it's bad to make a robot girl and trap her in a basement. it's bad to conscript teenage girls to fight your proxy war against the monster you created and abused. i love the frill episode because it's a cool horror story that also encapsulates the acca's hubris, malice, and ignorance -- the episode even ends with ai literally walking away from their bullshit -- and i can't rectify that with the ending. maybe there's a depressing metatextual interpretation that implicates the writer as the ultimate abuser.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Big Leg posted:

then i respect your commitment to enjoying anime. for what it's worth (spoiling because at least one active viewer in thread) i think the frill episode is one of the best episodes in the show, and i think the ai helping ai penultimate episode was a good premise (even if the execution wasn't perfect). but i can't understand the final episode as anything but a rejection of the central premise of show: it's bad when men in positions of power abuse women. it's bad to make a robot girl and trap her in a basement. it's bad to conscript teenage girls to fight your proxy war against the monster you created and abused. i love the frill episode because it's a cool horror story that also encapsulates the acca's hubris, malice, and ignorance -- the episode even ends with ai literally walking away from their bullshit -- and i can't rectify that with the ending. maybe there's a depressing metatextual interpretation that implicates the writer as the ultimate abuser.

I never saw its ending as a rejection of all that, tho that they swung for a second season and missed means that some of it can be ambiguous if not outright up in the air and we'll never know. Wasn't something that bothered me tho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the, wonder egg guy, is very weird and has expressed opinions contrary to a lot of what people have taken out of his shows, including saying that he genuinely believes that acca speech about men committing suicide for logical reasons and women committing suicide for emotional reasons, and following up years--decades actually, was famous for writing them in as far back as the 80s--of writing dramas that touch on themes of homosexuality with saying he thinks lesbians are women who failed to find a man. genuinely impossible to really track what he's trying to get at thematically with a lot of his work, sometimes

i think he hits on interesting stuff sometimes so it's easy to find something to connect to in his writing but. it explains a lot of, why he starts sliding down notes that people, really don't like. the acca one's actually an extra weird moment cause the director of wonder egg expressed the exact opposite thought, he thought acca was supposed to be wrong and apologized for not conveying that strongly enough

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 7, 2022

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i do hope the wonder egg director gets another show, seems like a talented guy who didnt have the authority or experience to push back on a show conceived around the writer

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the director should make a wonder egg movie where ai opens an egg and the world is a weird approximation of the show and the monster is a caricature of the writer

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hoping the writer gets to work on another anime in the future, personally.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shinjobi posted:

The hot springs episode had kamina slapping his own rear end in simon's direction and it got a juvenile chuckle outta me

I think I saw a rei and an asuka in it. That's my episode report.

That episode had all the Gainax girls up to that point lined up in two rows with Kamina swimming across their bouncing breasts. It’s the most Gainax scene in the most Gainax show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he'll probably always be getting work somewhere, he got wonder egg entirely on the reputation of his history in j-dramas despite his previous few being controversial (one was an office lady drama that received an interview all of his quotes about his thoughts on lesbians came from, the other was an orphanage show that got canned pretty early due to negative responses to how it approached the subject and outcry from a few major groups) and not especially well regarded. i don't think it will be in anime though if any of the stories about wonder egg's production issues being a result of him doing a poor job working with the staff and failing to deliver scripts on time are true though, but i don't have much to go off on those aside from yuyucow vaguetweets

i don't like the guy though so if he does i'm not gonna watch it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 7, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Colonel posted:

i don't like the guy though so if he does i'm not gonna watch it

:same:

Hopefully he won't get any more anime work though because he's clearly not suited for it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'll probably only watch it because i like going in blind on anime and don't really keep tracks of any staff names at all and i'll watch one or two episodes and get frustrated and drop it in this eternal karmic cycle of bad anime suffering

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm watchin Poco's Udon World and it's good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm watchin Poco's Udon World and it's good.

Yeah, it was a gem for me back whenever that aired years ago. I really love the in show TV show. :3:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super Cub on CR subs are so mis-timed it's unwatchable

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This morning I realized that the next movie I watch would be my 100th movie for the year. Clearly I had to pick something real good for that so I decided to rewatch On-Gaku: Our Sound. Movie's still great on a rewatch! And the concert at the end remains one of the cooler things I've seen in anime in recent years. Good poo poo all around.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

holy poo poo the FLCL soundtrack finally dropped on itunes

at last i can have Blues Drive Monster on my phone without using youtube rips

Thanks for mentioning this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So they moved Super Cub to Crunchyroll and uh, the subtitles are coming a full 2 seconds after the dialogue.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pentyne posted:

It's hard to tell how much of that is a sworn blood oath and how much of it is him not wanting to ruffle the feathers of fans who might otherwise view it as an attempt to cash in on Miura's legacy without respecting his vision. I think Mori'll do his best to keep the series in line with what Miura had planned, but there's still gonna be editors there to sand off the rough edges and guide 25+ years of noodling into a coherent story that'll end within the next decade.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mister Facetious posted:

So they moved Super Cub to Crunchyroll and uh, the subtitles are coming a full 2 seconds after the dialogue.

Send their support a message? I don’t think that would be too hard to fix. Just a timing issue.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Black Stones posted:

Send their support a message? I don’t think that would be too hard to fix. Just a timing issue.

Especially if it's a consistent timing issue like the one you described. Also that's too bad, I like Super Cub.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
anime expo really trying to get all the best talent and most devoted fans together in one place to catch covid

https://twitter.com/AnimeExpo/status/1534550882163073030

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Happy to hear that Vinland Saga is getting a second season in 2023.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i thought mappa was busy, but wit are really burning the midnight oil. hope they're figuring out their financial situation

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

kliras posted:

i thought mappa was busy, but wit are really burning the midnight oil. hope they're figuring out their financial situation

guess who is making vinland season 2 (it is not wit)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kliras posted:

anime expo really trying to get all the best talent and most devoted fans together in one place to catch covid

https://twitter.com/AnimeExpo/status/1534550882163073030

I've been to a lot of venues in los angeles recently and masks are optional (but recommended, not like that changes behavior) and only one of them checked vaccine cards (the greek theater, I think). Most people did not wear masks, except for myself and most of the ushers and other workers and a handful of guests.

Of course, I wore a kn95 for all the events so I didn't catch covid19 but we as a society have really moved towards treating it as endemic. Although if rates keep going up, there might be a very very small chance that indoor masking will be required. Vaccine record checking, however, is not a thing anymore.

I'm going to a cousin's wedding in San Jose in July and he asked all guests to upload vaxx records so at least private groups can take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
last time i was in san francisco the opera hall i was at and the restaurants i ate at all required proof of vaccination, and this was just three weeks ago

but in the burbs i haven't been checked yet, though alameda county's reinstated its mask mandate