Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You can at least use it to go sober, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
It's the price to pay in order to gain awareness of the Maun menace.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SexyBlindfold posted:

I think a lot of people miss out on Measurehead's racesplaining rant because they assume internalizing race theory = going fash. You can listen to his entire spiel, internalize the thought, and then tell him to gently caress off. He still helps, and Kim doesn't mind!

People will call you out for it. I did exactly this on my recent playthrough and then Evrart pointed it out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

same artist:

https://twitter.com/kerebrin/status/1487834502827233282

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

how the gently caress were you supposed to find the mysterious pair of eyes on a blind playthrough

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've finally been able to resume my first run and at the very end of Tuesday I finally got those loving boots and now I feel like constantly yelling I AM THE LAW at everybody. Also I found a pair of fancy shoes that give +1 to Indirect Taxation - how exactly does that work? I do have that thought.

Garte continues to be insufferable and I still want to punch him. "You owe me money Harry" "You can't have a drink Harry" "Don't trash your room Harry" whine whine whine

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

christmas boots posted:

Even then though you still live with the stain that you even gave it serious consideration at all
I'm pretty sure "internalizing" the thought can effectively just mean putting yourself in his place and then imagining how thinking those thoughts relate to physical reality. Like, you get an option that's basically just "Measurehead has built up this racist fantasy due to weird insecurities stemming from having a girlfriend of another race". At no point during that process are you considering the validity of the thoughts themselves, you're just building up a simulacrum of his thoughts in your own brain to critique them.

Heath posted:

People will call you out for it. I did exactly this on my recent playthrough and then Evrart pointed it out.
Do they? Does this depend on how you eventually talk to Measurehead after having internalized the thought? IIRC, there are quite a few options for how to approach the subject.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I recall people making fun of Harry even after I've forgotten the Race Theory thought. But only did it on one run a year or two ago so maybe faulty memory.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This system existed as a tabletop thing before DE was made, right? Makes me wonder how the skills work for people who aren't cops. Esprit de Corps in particular feels very cop-specific, although I suppose all sorts of people have various groups that they're part of. It's definitely possible to see which characters run particularly high or low in certain skills.

Also, if some of the side characters (the iconic duo of Torson and McClaine maybe) were the developers' characters. Maybe some of the referenced cases too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

sebzilla posted:

This system existed as a tabletop thing before DE was made, right? Makes me wonder how the skills work for people who aren't cops. Esprit de Corps in particular feels very cop-specific, although I suppose all sorts of people have various groups that they're part of. It's definitely possible to see which characters run particularly high or low in certain skills.

Also, if some of the side characters (the iconic duo of Torson and McClaine maybe) were the developers' characters. Maybe some of the referenced cases too.

Iirc it wasn't a unique tabletop system, it was just the setting they used for their DnD campaign

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's implied that other people have similar but distinctly different skills as well

for instance Kim's jacket on the store website lists +1 to Volta do Mar

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm pretty sure "internalizing" the thought can effectively just mean putting yourself in his place and then imagining how thinking those thoughts relate to physical reality. Like, you get an option that's basically just "Measurehead has built up this racist fantasy due to weird insecurities stemming from having a girlfriend of another race". At no point during that process are you considering the validity of the thoughts themselves, you're just building up a simulacrum of his thoughts in your own brain to critique them.

But if you do that they are still in your brain. You are not a separate thing from things in your brain.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

But if you do that they are still in your brain. You are not a separate thing from things in your brain.

INLAND EMPIRE [Impossible: Success] Are you *sure*?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/ai_curio/status/1534049140048633856

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

sebzilla posted:

I think "corps" just refers to your personal profession or group, yeah. I work in a kitchen and I definitely get a strong sense of the espirit.

I wonder what that Kim stat means, though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's Portuguese for "turn of the sea" and it's a navigational technique, according to Wikipedia

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

It's your capacity to form weird post-hardcore-prog bands.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volta do Mar is briefly mentioned in-game when talking to Joyce, it's the technique used to resist the effects of traveling through the Pale

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

It's described as being kind of like poetry and Kim presumably does it as a hobby.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Sure, but it's not like those things don't end up lodged there anyway. Measurehead still said all that poo poo to Harry, internalizing it just means actively dealing with it instead of letting it sit unattended in your brain.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This is stupid. This is like saying if you've ever listened to one of your dad's dumb right wing rants over dinner you may as well be right wing yourself. Part of learning to argue against an idea is making a detached assessment of the logic of it, even if it is a fundamentally stupid idea.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

*scribling to the bottom of the list* comprehending ... is endorsing, got it

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It's just the game's way of charging you two skill points to pass by Measurehead instead of jumping into the docks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeah in my playthrough I internalized it and then went back to Measurehead and told him to his face "okay so it's just an absurd rhetorical game that doesn't mean anything" or whatever that dialogue option is.

I don't recall even having it internalized that it made people treat me that much different or radically skewed dialogue options.

I considered it sort of like how in the real world I am aware in a factual, declarative sense what the blood libel is, what the basic plot of the Turner Diaries is, the general contents of Mein Kampf, etc etc but I do not choose to act on this knowledge to become a raving bigot.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Worth it to get Waste Land of Reality early imo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

paper bag with a face posted:

It's described as being kind of like poetry and Kim presumably does it as a hobby.

Joyce describes it as "imitating the creation process of poetry" but The Insulindian Miracle thought makes it sound more like meditation, repeating the same mantas over and over rather than creating new ones

https://discoelysium.fandom.com/wiki/The_Insulindian_Miracle#Description

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
IIRC Evrart mentions it it regardless of how you ultimately respond to Measurehead, but he's also trying to mindfuck you in that conversation so take it with a grain of salt.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If I remember right, there's also no way to answer the Race Enigma to Measurehead in a way that will make him agree you've got it. Even if you try to agree with him, he will say you've not understood.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Heath posted:

This is stupid. This is like saying if you've ever listened to one of your dad's dumb right wing rants over dinner you may as well be right wing yourself. Part of learning to argue against an idea is making a detached assessment of the logic of it, even if it is a fundamentally stupid idea.

IDK bud, that precise sentiment is extremely commonly expressed on these forums, and goons are the main group of people I'd trust to know the terrible effects of filling your brain with all kinds of deranged garbage

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 7, 2022

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the internet only makes you stupid if you are weak and lack discipline, as is common in your particular haplotype

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Today I learned you can remix Eggheads song. Truly this game has everything

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Your posting betrays your degeneracy, as is common of your ham colored race. The Semenese poster engages in heroic internet discourse, while your fallen haplogroup fiddles with your edit button and gets crumbs of fried potaat hopelessly fouled into your typing mechanism.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Heath posted:

Does Kim react negatively if you do it (to) progress the game? I think his reaction is more nuanced/reactive. I've only internalized Advanced Race Theory on a couple of playthroughs, the first time to get the body down, the second time for the mechanical bonus when i had already shot the rope. Kim called me out the second time after talking to Measurehead with the thought internalized, specifically saying internalizing it was unnecessary to progress the case.

The general argument you were addressing is of course crazy. Their logic essentially being exposure to wrongthink is tantamount to thoughtcrime itself.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 7, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Your posting betrays your degeneracy, as is common of your ham colored race. The Semenese poster engages in heroic internet discourse, while your fallen haplogroup fiddles with your edit button and gets crumbs of fried potaat hopelessly fouled into your typing mechanism.

I wonder what Measurehead's opinion on mangosteen would be

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The mega-questline around the church and the club and Fortress Accident and the Doomed Commercial Area and the 2mm hole in reality and the mysteries of the Spinal Cord and the Shivers/Revacholiere moment is probably my favourite part of the game. Just absolutely transcendent stuff.

Like, the phasmid is cool and all, but the stuff leading up to it with Morel's traps is just a lot of busy work. The church stuff is gold from start to finish.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 7, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I also learned today that you can make the Sunday friend so angry he’ll kick you out. Good poo poo.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I also learned today that you can make the Sunday friend so angry he’ll kick you out. Good poo poo.

1. "More like le price INstabilite"

HALF-LIGHT: That's right. Hit him where it hurts. Burn his whole world *down*

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heath posted:

If you listen to enough of them they still gently caress with your brain and how you think. There are no fully detached assessments. Eventually they’ll find something already in there and will try to attach other ideas to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bar Ran Dun posted:

If you listen to enough of them they still gently caress with your brain and how you think. There are no fully detached assessments. Eventually they’ll find something already in there and will try to attach other ideas to it.

Do you think ideas are just like sticky pinballs that bounce around inside your noodle simply for having listened to them? Like if you listen to enough anti-vax sentiments for example, that you're eventually going to believe them, simply by force of numbers?