Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

smellmycheese posted:

Curious. People who aren’t balls deep into my bullshit are able to spot it’s all a massive scam. How strange.

https://twitter.com/sriramk/status/1533992409494802432

me, a cryptographer: i am opposed to web3 a.n...
dude: lol crypto isn't cryptography.

me, a coder: i write code and web3 is reall...
dude: lol web3 isnt code its a revolution

me, a finance guy: i deal in financial investments and i have to say web3 is the wo....
dude: lol crypto doesn't have to deal with the problems of fiat money and their institutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Christ, who uses a credit card with consumer fees?? Are these crypto guys dusting off old pyramid scheme literature from the 80s and just copy/pasting it into whitepapers?
Not direct fees, but there are plenty of places in the US where the merchant will charge more if you use a credit card. Gas stations in particular in my experience.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not direct fees, but there are plenty of places in the US where the merchant will charge more if you use a credit card. Gas stations in particular in my experience.

But that's from the fee applied to the merchant, right? They are passing it along to the consumer? If what they mean is that it becomes a fee-free system for the merchant, then I suppose that's a one-up over CCs, but their wording makes it impossible to know what they are trying to say. Also, I don't know how the system stays afloat if they aren't taking a fee from someone in the transaction, but I'm not a student in The Wizarding World of Math Nerd

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.pcgamer.com/is-it-just-us-or-does-mining-10-bitcoin-a-day-not-sound-like-much-for-a-cryptocurrency-megacorp/

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

there are basic fees from the sidechain verification like with anything else on the blockchain. and they also charge a merchant fee on top of that. their argument is that it's less than current credit card fees charged to the merchant.

as a customer, why would i even care about that unless it made the product cheaper for me. the burrito is still $X dollars regardless of what mechanism you use to pay for it so why not use a cc w/ points. why use crypto. they never really explain that part. like it's another step to buy or mine crypto. then additional apps, knowledge and time to figure out how all that works. that dude came in here and spouted off a whole bunch of poo poo no normal person would ever want to deal with.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Strong Sauce posted:

there are basic fees from the sidechain verification like with anything else on the blockchain. and they also charge a merchant fee on top of that. their argument is that it's less than current credit card fees charged to the merchant.

as a customer, why would i even care about that unless it made the product cheaper for me. the burrito is still $X dollars regardless of what mechanism you use to pay for it so why not use a cc w/ points. why use crypto. they never really explain that part. like it's another step to buy or mine crypto. then additional apps, knowledge and time to figure out how all that works. that dude came in here and spouted off a whole bunch of poo poo no normal person would ever want to deal with.

Right but you can slurp that burrito 3x a day.

Guess a lot of y'all still don't get it.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Can someone explain what exactly he's proposing here?
https://twitter.com/JasonPLowery/status/1533925550598889478/photo/1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

pippy posted:

"software"..."softwar".. oh gently caress he's declaring a war!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pippy posted:

he's proposing "I want the Department of Defense to keep paying me to tweet about Bitcoin all day, but they're expecting me to report military uses for it and I don't really have any, so let's cram all the buzzwords into my report and tell them it's too advanced to explain in simple words"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

pippy posted:

I read the abstract and it's basically say that Bitcoin and Crypto will made physical war obsolete because cyberwarfare will become so powerful. As usual, it completely sidesteps the fact this has already been proved false, as cyberwarfare has been a thing for a long time and hasn't done poo poo to stop physical war, and basically assumes Crypto is inventing cyberwar.

Also it calls cyberwarfare "hardwar" and "softwar" and tries to meaningfully differentiate between the two which is just puzzling and pointless.

Basically he wants the movie Robot Jox to be real but with blockchain instead of giant robots. Is it just me, or is it really sad that cryptobros can't even conceive of the idea of stopping war altogether, but instead champion the idea of just having a different KIND of war?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 7, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They forget the core tenet of war, where application of might is better suited to destroying your crypto infrastructure than it is to building my own.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

tron. he's basically saying the future is tron

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it occurs to me that recreational weed dispensaries should absolutely take buttcoin, if there's any money in doing so (lmao), because NFT douchebros love to drop fliff at the dispensary on stupid bullshit

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

he's proposing "I want the Department of Defense to keep paying me to tweet about Bitcoin all day, but they're expecting me to report military uses for it and I don't really have any, so let's cram all the buzzwords into my report and tell them it's too advanced to explain in simple words"

does referring to computers as a "once-in-two-millennia" invention imply that he thinks history started with the birth of Christ, or that he thinks the invention of computers is a random event that happens roughly every 2,000 years

also "kinetic programming actions" is a funny milspeak parody description of keyboard-touching. this is parody right? I didn't make it past the first sentence, which contains both of those chestnuts

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/bitofnonce/status/1533985196654985216

https://twitter.com/BitcoinQTpie/status/1533999379325112320

The bad brains on this people are fascinating

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
voluntary war

lmao

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

“Computers were a big invention that allowed programmers to create programs that output controlled electrical signals. This technology was so disruptive it caused society to classify hardware and software programming separately. This thesis presents a theory on the invention of non-physical tokens that require physical energy expenditure to create (such as bitcoin). This, the biggest invention ever, will enable conversion of physical war (and the cost of life) by humans into cyber warfare performed digitally. This could cause society to perceive physical warfare and cyber warfare as distinctly different. Software doesn't
replace the need for hardware, but the emergence of software dramatically changed the
profession of computer programming. By that same logic, cyber warfare doesn’t replace the need for physical war, but it could change the profession of “war”. The theory hypothesizes that creating non-physical tokens from real-world energy expenditure, and combing them with second-layer centralization (like the lightning network), and then adopting simple programs to facilitate payments and paywalls, will allow for software driven attacks based on who owns the most bitcoin. The physical cost of creating more bitcoin will make countering attacks from those who own the most bitcoin, untenable.”

Very big brane man

Edit: decided to do the whole thing

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 7, 2022

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

The world has no idea what's about to hit them.

(posts screenshot of the abstract of a masters thesis that will be forgotten as soon as it is deposited)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Just when you think these knobs couldn't get any dumber, they start postin' about war on twitter

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1533133573661802496
https://twitter.com/ProfHilaryAllen/status/1534176472159731717

probably nothing. just bipartisan bill suggesting we further deregulate

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

the star of the oc gets it..

https://twitter.com/ben_mckenzie/status/1534129930224779264

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bit of nonce

that's it that's the joke

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!
I'm super hyped for the first Bitcoin bro to tell Putin he can't keep Ukraine because the blockchain says it belongs to someone else.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
All my T72 tokens, gone

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Party Ape posted:

I'm super hyped for the first Bitcoin bro to tell Putin he can't keep Ukraine because the blockchain says it belongs to someone else.

holy poo poo, that's it! we just need to put the entire country of Ukraine on the blockchain and then the war is over!

hooray!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

rate my web3 app: a text editor exclusively for crypto-bros where if you type "metacognitively" it immediately wipes out the document you are writing and deletes your twitter account

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I read the abstract and it's basically say that Bitcoin and Crypto will made physical war obsolete because cyberwarfare will become so powerful. As usual, it completely sidesteps the fact this has already been proved false, as cyberwarfare has been a thing for a long time and hasn't done poo poo to stop physical war, and basically assumes Crypto is inventing cyberwar.

Also it calls cyberwarfare "hardwar" and "softwar" and tries to meaningfully differentiate between the two which is just puzzling and pointless.

Basically he wants the movie Robot Jox to be real but with blockchain instead of giant robots. Is it just me, or is it really sad that cryptobros can't even conceive of the idea of stopping war altogether, but instead champion the idea of just having a different KIND of war?

According to his blog, it's because he reads too much Ayn Rand and thinks war is a beep-boop optimal method of rationally resolving disputes (via dick-waving contests where the winner gets to one-sidedly dictate policy to the loser) without any of those pesky "ethics" or "emotions" getting in the way.

quote:

In other words, war is a mechanism for nations to establish policy by engaging in an indiscriminate brute-force physical power lottery rather than the traditional method of adjudication.

But why would nations prefer something as destructive as war when formulating policy when they have the far less wasteful and far more energy-efficient option of peaceful adjudication? The answer is deceptively simple: because they don’t trust the judge; because they don’t respect the judgement. When this happens, war gives nations access to an independent courtroom with a perfectly impartial judge who has no capacity to be manipulated by emotion or corrupted by false interpretations. War is the judge of last resort, delivering incorruptible judgement and a very decisive ruling based on the indiscriminate and systemically independent phenomenon of brute-force physical power.

With Clausewitz’ definition of war fresh in our minds, let’s consider what it might take to engineer a non-lethal or digital equivalent to warfare as another means for nations to settle their legal disputes. We would first need to figure out a way to harvest the utility of indiscriminate brute-force physical power, but filter out the useless and wasteful death and destruction. One way to do this could be to capture brute-force physical power electronically rather than kinetically. After all, the kinetic energy of force against mass-based infrastructure appears to be the leading cause of war’s destructive emergent properties. To that end, it could be feasible to create a profession dedicated to capturing electronic brute-force physical power for the purposes of using it for strategic defense.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
So are wars going to be "whoever can complete this block wins the war, pinky promise"? Or are the guns going to be NFTs that we can buy and remotely deactivate because they check the smart contract every time you fire a bullet?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

that star trek episode where war is fought by simulating the attacks and painlessly executing everyone who they calculate to have died, but even dumber somehow

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Main Paineframe posted:

According to his blog, it's because he reads too much Ayn Rand and thinks war is a beep-boop optimal method of rationally resolving disputes (via dick-waving contests where the winner gets to one-sidedly dictate policy to the loser) without any of those pesky "ethics" or "emotions" getting in the way.

Why can't both sides pick their strongest arm wrestler and agree that who wins the arm wrestle wins the war? Or a coin flip?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

pippy posted:

Or a coin flip?

bitcoin.flip(winner_take_all=True)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
"...capture brute-force physical power electronically rather than kinetically..."

lmao, that's not a thing. i don't, i can't even, what the gently caress are they talking about ?

it's more loving video game logic that does not apply to the real world.

e: when i play classic COD 4 Remastered, because I'll be damned if I'm going to play any of the new ones, I am not actually firing a gun, or any kind of firearm; i am merely moving numbers around inside a computer system which then respond to other numbers based on decisions the computer is making sixty times a second. none of this is real or has any effect on anything in the real world. why do coiners not seem to understand this?

e: lol, imagine real world policies decided on who wins a loving video game.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 7, 2022

Homeless Bebe
Jul 15, 2012
Guys you missed the best part

https://twitter.com/JasonPLowery/status/1533983844197605377?s=20&t=Gk3-rjsZkModQOOffsZ6TA

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Of course it's nothing like CoD, don't be silly. It's CnC Generals. You get a pro hacker with a laptop into their base and they hack the power plant's alignment from red to blue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

He makes a fundamental error in this statement:

quote:

The answer is deceptively simple: because they don’t trust the judge; because they don’t respect the judgement.

This isn't correct. It isn't because people don't trust the judge - it's because they don't give a poo poo about the judge.

War is not always about "I say I own this land, you say you own this land, let's fight to decide who gets the land". Sometimes the killing is the point and the end goal. Hell, not even sometimes.

In the end, it's just another Bitcoiner who thinks he's solved all the world's problems by making up a fantasy world and assuming the real world is the same.

Lol to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. I'm a dum dum who knows nothing about military policy and I can pick apart his argument easily. Imagine what a bunch of generals would say

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 7, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He makes a fundamental error in this statement:

This isn't correct. It isn't because people don't trust the judge - it's because they don't give a poo poo about the judge.

War is not always about "I say I own this land, you say you own this land, let's fight to decide who gets the land". Sometimes the killing is the point and the end goal. Hell, not even sometimes.

In the end, it's just another Bitcoiner who thinks he's solved all the world's problems by making up a fantasy world and assuming the real world is the same.

WW2 Emperor of Japan upon hearing that the judge has ruled the US can't be forced to sell Japan oil: "tell the children there'll be no industrial complex this year".

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

pippy posted:

So are wars going to be "whoever can complete this block wins the war, pinky promise"? Or are the guns going to be NFTs that we can buy and remotely deactivate because they check the smart contract every time you fire a bullet?

lmao, it just occurred to me that coiners probably think Metal Gear Solid 4 is a documentary.

Snaaaaaaaake!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

tango alpha delta posted:

"...capture brute-force physical power electronically rather than kinetically..."

lmao, that's not a thing. i don't, i can't even, what the gently caress are they talking about ?

it's more loving video game logic that does not apply to the real world.

e: when i play classic COD 4 Remastered, because I'll be damned if I'm going to play any of the new ones, I am not actually firing a gun, or any kind of firearm; i am merely moving numbers around inside a computer system which then respond to other numbers based on decisions the computer is making sixty times a second. none of this is real or has any effect on anything in the real world. why do coiners not seem to understand this?

e: lol, imagine real world policies decided on who wins a loving video game.

It’s the “bitcoin is a battery” argument/misconception repackaged.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

War has officially been replaced with "your key, your country, not your key, not your country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
are these forums web3.0 since we had to pay to access this bit of web?