Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cowcaster posted:

saw a post on the twitters about it and babylon's fall bombed so hard stuff like battleborn and lawbreakers are laughing at it, right? what about it ended up being so awful?

Remember how Platinum's Avatar game sucked? Well, they topped that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Popete posted:

Cultist Simulator is on sale for $7 and I really want to play it. Is it still giving money to lovely people if I buy it though?

Yeah. Weather Factory is still owned and operated by Alexis the Fucker don't be a sex pest Kennedy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

THAT SAID I'm not going to be mad if anyone buys it. It's your 7$ and if you want to play it, it won't magically turn you into a sex pest. Just posting to let y'all know and be informed.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

saw a post on the twitters about it and babylon's fall bombed so hard stuff like battleborn and lawbreakers are laughing at it, right? what about it ended up being so awful?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It went hard into the Games As a Service thing with battlepasses and microtransactions for sale from day 1 (on top of still being a full priced game) which turned a lot of potential buyers off.

No it’s just a bad boring game. It would look dated if it was a PS3 game, it plays terribly, and doesn’t have an ounce of creativity or joy in it. Having tons of microtransactions in a bad game is just a poo poo cherry on top of a poo poo sundae.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

THAT SAID I'm not going to be mad if anyone buys it. It's your 7$ and if you want to play it, it won't magically turn you into a sex pest. Just posting to let y'all know and be informed.

I've held out not buying it for this long why cave now, it just really looks like a game I would play a ton of.

I did by Sunless Skies awhile back but I guess that's by a different studio he left?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Channeling an old poster I saw who used to do combo posts tonight

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948280/Stacklands/

If you wanna play Cultist Sim for the gameplay and not for the cult theme play this. It's got all the card dragging action you want.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/403830/The_Consuming_Shadow/

If you wanna play Cultist Sim for investigating spooky cults and horror atmosphere play this, it's weird and indie and about roadtripping through the UK to stop a cult from summoning an elder god - but which one?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/login

If you want that prose style, Fallen London and its related games (Sunless Skies, Sunless Seas, and the new dating sim thing) are completely free of Alexis-receiving-money and are still cool things to check out.

Popete posted:

I've held out not buying it for this long why cave now, it just really looks like a game I would play a ton of.

I did by Sunless Skies awhile back but I guess that's by a different studio he left?

Long time ago Alexis founded Failbetter Games and made Fallen London and its related games, but then he moved on and now it's owned and run by cool people. (AFAIK)

e: To clarify Cultist Sim is about founding a cult and I don't know other games that do that (aside from the weird Early Access https://store.steampowered.com/app/841190/Honey_I_Joined_a_Cult/ ) but I adore the shared creeping horror from Cult Sim and Consuming Shadow. Consuming Shadow is WAY creepier though.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 6, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's this game Seraph's Last Stand that Steam recommended to me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1919460/Seraphs_Last_Stand/

It's clearly trying to capitalize on the Vampire Survivors bandwagon what with being $0.99 and a vaguely similar game. It has a ton of overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Well, don't bother. I cannot even begin to fathom how some people have 300+ hours in this game. It wasn't even worth the $0.99 IMO

A lot of builds can win indefinitely by just standing in one place holding down fire. There are only a small handful of powerups and they don't drastically change the way your build/character behaves (e.g. they make your projectiles do a couple extra damage or shoot 15% faster), and with how few there are and as often as you get to choose them you essentially end up with all of them on every playthrough, so every run feels the same. All enemies behave the exact same way - the only difference is some move toward you and some move away from you, other than that they just stand there tossing single projectiles at you. There are no bosses or waves that shake things up or do anything different. You pick your staff (attack pattern basically - homing, 3 projectile wave, explosive) before the run starts and then there's absolutely nothing that happens in-run that changes your attack pattern or the way your character works, it's just pure tiny incremental stat upgrades.

On my last run I spent a full hour and a half standing in a corner with the homing staff and my mouse button held down and never even came close to being in danger, and I kept going because I was just sort of astounded that this was working. By the time I realized it was never going to stop working and alt-f4'd I was past the refund window :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 7, 2022

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Actually here's a mild effort post:

Do you like cults and eldritch forces and exploring places that shouldn't be? Here's a quicklist of horror games in that vein. Consuming Shadow obviously, but also:

Darkwood is the ultimate in exploring a place that doesn't want you in it. You have to hide in a house at night and keep it barricaded, then explore an Eastern European horror forest by day to solve mysteries. Too scary for me.

Golden Light - you're going to be pulled out of the horror because you have to engage with the mechanics to survive and fight back, but this is a fantastically gross horror where you're thrown into a flesh prison hell to rescue someone. Eat your weapons, find your way through roguelike mazes, die a lot.

Darkest Dungeon - before the mechanics overwhelm you with grind, enjoy THE quintessential Lovecraftian game of dread and doom as a bombastic narrator follows you sending doomed heroes into horrific dungeons. Watch them go mad! Watch them die! Watch them bring back loot! Play on Radiant mode, please, love yourself.

Pathologic may not belong here I'm not sure but you're in a Russian steppe town that butchers cows for a living and you gotta stop a plague, and it's slow and awful and has some of the most tense and grinding atmosphere I've ever seen in a game. Has a sequel/remake that's amazing too.

Sea Salt isn't very good but I enjoyed this action twin stick shooter mob THING I don't do genres anymore, anyways you're a priest of dagon summoning dudes to kill townspeople as you invade. Fun!

Door into the Woods is a black and white ASCII game that relies entirely on you being able to sink into the atmosphere and writing and gloom as you're a private investigator in a town that's gone wrong. Lots of hiding from horrible noises, counting steps, bashing doors, and looking at the single bullet in your gun thoughtfully.

Vampyr - this one has a budget! 3D action/adventure game where you're a 1918 london doctor who's been vampired. Time to think about how bad this is. (I admire how ambitious this thing is)

Shrouded Isle - you're the leaders of a town entirely devoted to a cult, and your god wants a sacrifice. Pick who! Super interesting but flawed, I say give it a try but don't expect a lot of time here.

Bonus Doom-like DUSK for shooting up horrible things, it's a good time!

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

StrixNebulosa posted:

Actually here's a mild effort post:

Do you like cults and eldritch forces and exploring places that shouldn't be? Here's a quicklist of horror games in that vein. Consuming Shadow obviously, but also:

Darkwood is the ultimate in exploring a place that doesn't want you in it. You have to hide in a house at night and keep it barricaded, then explore an Eastern European horror forest by day to solve mysteries. Too scary for me.

Mandalore did an excellent review of this game. It looks like a pretty intense experience but it's a big nope from me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Vampyr - this one has a budget! 3D action/adventure game where you're a 1918 london doctor who's been vampired. Time to think about how bad this is. (I admire how ambitious this thing is)

I really got to play that game. Dontnod are the kind of insane creatives who, if some corporate suits just lasso and controlled them, would probably be putting out AAA GOTY caliber games on a regular basis.

Instead all their games are 75% brilliant ideas and 25% straight up dogshit, with some minor exceptions. Remember Me is one of the best takes on cyberpunk dystopia I've ever seen but it's wrapped up in a real lovely combat system with pretend parkour movement. The key feature of the game, where you can hack into peoples memories and "remix" them to change them entirely to now be on your side was intensely chilling to watch and see the results of.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

pentyne posted:

Instead all their games are 75% brilliant ideas and 25% straight up dogshit, with some minor exceptions. Remember Me is one of the best takes on cyberpunk dystopia I've ever seen but it's wrapped up in a real lovely combat system with pretend parkour movement. The key feature of the game, where you can hack into peoples memories and "remix" them to change them entirely to now be on your side was intensely chilling to watch and see the results of.

Ain't that the truth. I recently played Remember Me and the whole thing left me thinking that this game could have been SO much more.
I loved the setting and theme but the linear levels and lame combat really ruined it.

Imagine the game with a more open and interactive world and mechanic where you can either steal people’s memories (e.g. door codes or secret locations) or alter them to get them to do your bidding etc. Yes please.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1948280/Stacklands/

If you wanna play Cultist Sim for the gameplay and not for the cult theme play this. It's got all the card dragging action you want.
I'll second Stacklands - it's pretty small-scope so it was easy to 100%, but it sounds like they got a lot of positive feedback on it and are going to expand it a little. It's a very nice clicking cards game as it is, and cheap.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: To clarify Cultist Sim is about founding a cult and I don't know other games that do that (aside from the weird Early Access https://store.steampowered.com/app/841190/Honey_I_Joined_a_Cult/ ) but I adore the shared creeping horror from Cult Sim and Consuming Shadow. Consuming Shadow is WAY creepier though.

The upcoming Cult of the Lamb is an action-y take on the concept.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

I really got to play that game. Dontnod are the kind of insane creatives who, if some corporate suits just lasso and controlled them, would probably be putting out AAA GOTY caliber games on a regular basis.

Huh. I had no idea what that game was about. I guess I got it in a Capcom bundle like 7 years ago. I might actually give it a try now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Kibayasu posted:

No it’s just a bad boring game. It would look dated if it was a PS3 game, it plays terribly, and doesn’t have an ounce of creativity or joy in it. Having tons of microtransactions in a bad game is just a poo poo cherry on top of a poo poo sundae.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It went hard into the Games As a Service thing with battlepasses and microtransactions for sale from day 1 (on top of still being a full priced game) which turned a lot of potential buyers off.

well that's a shame. if you pitched me "devil may cry beat em up but multiplayer" i would've paid loving cash on the barrel for it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's this game Seraph's Last Stand that Steam recommended to me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1919460/Seraphs_Last_Stand/

It's clearly trying to capitalize on the Vampire Survivors bandwagon what with being $0.99 and a vaguely similar game. It has a ton of overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Someone in the VS thread recommended Nomad Survival and I really like it so far. It's early access and has some jankiness to it but it's definitely made by someone who "gets" why Vampire Survivors is so good and has put a lot of thought into the mechanics. Definitely getting my $3 worth from it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Popete posted:

Cultist Simulator is on sale for $7 and I really want to play it. Is it still giving money to lovely people if I buy it though?

I just don't think it's a very good game. It's incredibly obtuse, with timers constantly ticking down. It felt like an RTS without any AI, where you have to learn how to play by doing quick battles with randos; there's a cool system here for me to wrap my head around, but the game just will not let me do so at my own pace.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bentacos posted:

Huh. I had no idea what that game was about. I guess I got it in a Capcom bundle like 7 years ago. I might actually give it a try now.

Easy mode for sure. The combat system has some great ideas, but again, lovely combat in general that drags everything else down.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Popete posted:

Yes but what's worse is that the game is actually super grindy.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Sex pest aside, I'll chime in to defend the game. No it's not perfect, and yes, it is mechanically grindy. But past the first few games of WTFisgoingon??? you get the core concepts and then it becomes a glorious phase of discovery. Defeats at that point are painful, but it's at least a little faster to rebuild back up and you should soon be able to fend off every losing condition.

Now after the first win, it's different. The discovery isn't there anymore and it's just about optimising the busywork, but I found the game really catchy until that first high.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Sex pest aside, I'll chime in to defend the game. No it's not perfect, and yes, it is mechanically grindy. But past the first few games of WTFisgoingon??? you get the core concepts and then it becomes a glorious phase of discovery. Defeats at that point are painful, but it's at least a little faster to rebuild back up and you should soon be able to fend off every losing condition.

Now after the first win, it's different. The discovery isn't there anymore and it's just about optimising the busywork, but I found the game really catchy until that first high.

I'm an unapologetic cultist simulator defender who's done nearly all the content but this sounds about right. The actual mechanical and content differences between the victory paths are pretty minor - a few dozen snippets of text.

But that process of discovery, of learning how to survive, and starting to make sense of the convoluted lore was wonderful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Vampyr is more like 40/60 in that regard but I still love it. Just don't try to do a no-kill run. Low-kill run is fine.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
After you get what the mudane grind is trying invoke, just go open the save file with note pad and edit yourself 200 funds. It'll make the game much faster without having to constantly go to work.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

goferchan posted:

Someone in the VS thread recommended Nomad Survival and I really like it so far. It's early access and has some jankiness to it but it's definitely made by someone who "gets" why Vampire Survivors is so good and has put a lot of thought into the mechanics. Definitely getting my $3 worth from it

I find it funny that Vampire Survivor is getting a boomer shooter-style renaissance, even though it came out about 10 minutes ago. I don't even think PUBG had that kind of turnaround.

I wonder what Ubisoft's VS-like is going to be.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vampire Survivor itself is riding a wave of similar games on mobile.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really enjoyed Vampyr personally. The writing was surprisingly good compared to the absolute cringe-fest that are all of their other games (besides Remember Me, I haven't seen it).
My only issue with it was that at launch it had no Hard Mode so I never felt the slightest desire to eat anyone, but I imagine that Hard Mode fixes that issue.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I saw someone playing this insect swarm game and it looks pretty neat, though maybe a bit repetitive as I am not sure how much content there is, but it's like Vampire Survivor but with a bunch of bugs. It doesn't have an English translation though it doesn't look all that complex.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1999170/Insect_Swarm/

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I bounced from Remember Me almost immediately when one of the first memory remix puzzles forced you to convince someone their husband died of a debilitating disease and it seemed really dumb and cruel for no reason.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

I bounced from Remember Me almost immediately when one of the first memory remix puzzles forced you to convince someone their husband died of a debilitating disease and it seemed really dumb and cruel for no reason.

...the reason is the plot of the game

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s called remember me not gaslight me

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

probably gonna skip this month yet again tbh - already played Call of the Sea on Game Pass, already own Superhot, I am Fish is currently on Game Pass, and I want Pumpkin Jack and Gamedec but not that much

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll say this about Squadrons: playing it in VR and turning your head to look out the cockpit as your S-foils unlock into attack position is pretty much what I thought video games would be like in the future.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

probably gonna skip this month yet again tbh - already played Call of the Sea on Game Pass, already own Superhot, I am Fish is currently on Game Pass, and I want Pumpkin Jack and Gamedec but not that much

They always give you a 4 dollar discount if you hit cancel first right? Honestly that's a pretty good haul at ~$9 bucks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gato posted:

I'm an unapologetic cultist simulator defender who's done nearly all the content but this sounds about right. The actual mechanical and content differences between the victory paths are pretty minor - a few dozen snippets of text.

But that process of discovery, of learning how to survive, and starting to make sense of the convoluted lore was wonderful.

Yeah, the actual mechanics aren't that fun but I found figuring out how they work to be extremely fun. It's a pretty straightforward resource management puzzle at its core but figuring out what those resources actually do and why you want them and why you sometimes don't want them is the real puzzle, and it's very satisfying to solve on your first time through.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

zoux posted:

I'll say this about Squadrons: playing it in VR and turning your head to look out the cockpit as your S-foils unlock into attack position is pretty much what I thought video games would be like in the future.

Yeah I thought this was a 7/10 budget title with some x-wing/tie fighter nostalgia until I tried it in VR and it was the star wars pilot game of my childhood dreams.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

goferchan posted:

Yeah, the actual mechanics aren't that fun but I found figuring out how they work to be extremely fun. It's a pretty straightforward resource management puzzle at its core but figuring out what those resources actually do and why you want them and why you sometimes don't want them is the real puzzle, and it's very satisfying to solve on your first time through.

Yeah, I agree, that's kind of the whole thing. I enjoyed it, but it's more of a puzzle than a game. Once you figure out what does what there's not a ton of skill needed on subsequent playthroughs; the fun is really try to figure out what you're supposed to do.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Cultist Sim is a neat game in that it’s a complicated Euro-style board game (managing a set of different resources and trading among them) with a defined set of rules, and the actual game is figuring out the rules. It does help that it’s spooky while you’re doing it but it’s the rules-figuring-out stuff that’s the fun of it. If there are any other games like that, I’d play them, especially if they aren’t made by sex monsters.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It's not a digital board game, but Lobotomy Corp is all about figuring out rules dealing with supernatural monstrosities and keeping ever more plates spinning. It'll easily send you into a game over state for loving up too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/568220/Lobotomy_Corporation__Monster_Management_Simulation/

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Introversion, the guys behind Uplink, Darwinia, DEFCON and Prison Architect have unveiled their new game The Last Starship, where you build your own starship and then take it around the galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3vn4q3gsM

Its a twenty minute long video, and they do repeatedly emphasise that even when they do go into early access later this year that its still very early days, but so far it looks promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gorn Myson posted:

Introversion, the guys behind Uplink, Darwinia, DEFCON and Prison Architect have unveiled their new game The Last Starship, where you build your own starship and then take it around the galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3vn4q3gsM

Its a twenty minute long video, and they do repeatedly emphasise that even when they do go into early access later this year that its still very early days, but so far it looks promising.

lol what a bunch of dorks

glad they've got something they're happy with, i think they've struggled to get stuff out the door in the past.