Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

Marmite bread

Now we’re talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can throw all kinds of flavouring in bread. The last loaf i made used coffee instead of water. But I'm not going to try that, in all fairness.

Wait, what?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Russian black bread, which is very richly flavoured. The King Arthur recipe calls for instant coffee granules in with the flour. I don't have any, so i just made a strong pot of coffee and used it as water. Seemed to work fine.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

now going to experiment to see what other random liquids I can use in bread instead of water :piss:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Enfys posted:

now going to experiment to see what other random liquids I can use in bread instead of water :piss:

Please try eggnog and pm me back on the results later this year

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It would probably just end up like any other rich dough made with milk or other fatty liquids.

The real fun is using heavily flavored water thin liquids.
Vegetable broth, beef broth, chicken stock are ok but I'd rather just have plain bread and a soup made out of one of them.

Bread made with apple cider on the other hand is :krad:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I have some pink lemonade that I'm tired of drinking so might as well give it a whirl

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, I've made ice cream bread before. I used a melted cinnamon ice cream, flour and yeast, and the loaf had a beautiful cinnamon roll taste to it when all was done.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
How about that fruity milk residue left from your bowl of Fruity Pebbles

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pioneer42 posted:

How about that fruity milk residue left from your bowl of Fruity Pebbles

There's a whole bakery that started in NYC based around making cookies with milk that they soaked toasted corn flakes in.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I'm always late with my million-dollar ideas. There's just nothing new under the sun.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I can't remember if I shared this already but I made some bread with a green soda that's available in my neck of the woods. I used a little bit of green food coloring because the color isn't as strong as you might think. Then I rolled it with an uncolored dough and made marbled "soda" bread.

It was for a silly St. Patrick's day sandwich I made. Here's the blog post I wrote about it on my sandwich blog. https://boundedbybuns.com/soda-pop-reuben/

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
By all that is holy I command the demons that have infested this thread BEGONE!!!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

~~~Do the Dew~~~

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
this guy has a writeup of making a grape gatorade bread, along with other delightfully stupid food experiments.

https://foodisstupid.substack.com/p/no-knead-gatorade-bread?s=r

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

beerinator posted:

I can't remember if I shared this already but I made some bread with a green soda that's available in my neck of the woods. I used a little bit of green food coloring because the color isn't as strong as you might think. Then I rolled it with an uncolored dough and made marbled "soda" bread.

It was for a silly St. Patrick's day sandwich I made. Here's the blog post I wrote about it on my sandwich blog. https://boundedbybuns.com/soda-pop-reuben/

This is a weird but fun idea, and a good read.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Chicolini posted:

this guy has a writeup of making a grape gatorade bread, along with other delightfully stupid food experiments.

https://foodisstupid.substack.com/p/no-knead-gatorade-bread?s=r

Dennis (the author) is a friend of mine. If you like wild food experiments, subscribe to his substack.

Ishamael posted:

This is a weird but fun idea, and a good read.

Thanks!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This breadmaker machine Ciabatta recipe seems to work:
https://saladinajar.com/recipes/how-to-make-ciabatta-with-a-bread-machine/

Guess I added too much water the last time around?

Two questions:

1. I thought I'd bake it tonight, but... don't have the time or energy. How long will it last in the fridge before... overproofing? Collapsing? Shrinking? Expanding?

2. I asked on the recipe page and got blocked for spam - it emphasizes not letting the dough finish the dough cycle in the machine. Any idea why? I don't think anything particular happens when the cycle ends.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 14, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xander77 posted:

This breadmaker machine Ciabatta recipe seems to work:
https://saladinajar.com/recipes/how-to-make-ciabatta-with-a-bread-machine/

Guess I added too much water the last time around?

Two questions:

1. I thought I'd bake it tonight, but... don't have the time or energy. How long will it last in the fridge before... overproofing? Collapsing? Shrinking? Expanding?

2. I asked on the recipe page and got blocked for spam - it emphasizes not letting the dough finish the cycle in the machine. Any idea why? I don't think anything particular happens when the cycle ends.

1) 2 days for best results, but a week will still get you something tasty. Just may be a ciabatta flatbread instead.

2) like not bake it? That's because bread machines aren't as good at a human plus an oven for creating a good bread environment. Or to not have it finish kneading or proofing? If it's that one probably because it's easier to make sure you don't over proof/over knead it on the counter.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

effika posted:

2) like not bake it? That's because bread machines aren't as good at a human plus an oven for creating a good bread environment. Or to not have it finish kneading or proofing? If it's that one probably because it's easier to make sure you don't over proof/over knead it on the counter.
Not finish the dough cycle, which doesn't start baking. If it was about over-kneading, I wish it had some sort of kneading time...

Edit:

Slightly better, still a bit chewey. Not sure what I did wrong this time around - folded the bread too many times over the days before I've baked it? Didn't spritz it with water before baking? Didn't add steam to the oven?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 16, 2022

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

No Gatorade in this one. Just a little rye boule hot out of the oven.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made another block of wood

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I look forward to your brick house. Hopefully it's complete by winter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xander77 posted:

Not finish the dough cycle, which doesn't start baking. If it was about over-kneading, I wish it had some sort of kneading time...

Edit:

Slightly better, still a bit chewey. Not sure what I did wrong this time around - folded the bread too many times over the days before I've baked it? Didn't spritz it with water before baking? Didn't add steam to the oven?

We used steam at the bakery. It's chewy on the inside, albeit with a more airy structure. I never did ask what their recipe was though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2022

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

We used steam at the bakery. It's chewy on the inside, albeit with a more airy structure. I never did ask what their recipe was though.
Gonna try again, same basic recipe, see what can work to make it less tough.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How do you calculate the hydration of a starter? The one I'm currently feeding, which I bought because I am lazy, refreshes with 1/3 starter, 1/3 flour, 1/3 water, by weight. That's the sum of 1/3 + 1/9 + 1/27 .... and I am way tired.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A third of one?

Equal parts all in your recipe. So 100% hydration.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How do you calculate the hydration of a starter? The one I'm currently feeding, which I bought because I am lazy, refreshes with 1/3 starter, 1/3 flour, 1/3 water, by weight. That's the sum of 1/3 + 1/9 + 1/27 .... and I am way tired.

eventually the composition of the starter will converge to the proportion you're feeding it with, so 100% in this case.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A third of one?

Equal parts all in your recipe. So 100% hydration.

Ohhh. I need to go read an article on what baker's hydration means.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The short answer is it's compared to the flour weight, not the total dough weight.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Equal amounts by weight is 100%.

A starter made of half water and half flour + equal weights of flour and water for feeding is still 100% hydrated and all the proportions are the same after as before.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This may be an amateur question, but how often can I feed and use my starter? Is there a minimum “downtime” recommended between uses, or could I keep feeding and splitting and baking on a daily basis?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pioneer42 posted:

This may be an amateur question, but how often can I feed and use my starter? Is there a minimum “downtime” recommended between uses, or could I keep feeding and splitting and baking on a daily basis?

There is no limit, the little yeast bugs just eat, fart and reproduce. The ones you bake with aren't the ones copulating in your starter. As long as there is enough of them the dough rises eventually.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Just some reassurance for anybody who thinks a sourdough starter is too high maintenance...I have a starter I, uh, started just under 2 years ago using Josh Weissman's guide. Once I got it established, I got lazy and abandoned any form of a regular feeding schedule. I keep it in the fridge, feed it when I think about it (once a month at best), and if I want to bake some bread I pull out 25 grams, feed it on the counter with 100g each of water and flour, then 24 hours later I used that to make my dough.

I last used it in March, and haven't touched it since, mainly because life got in the way. Yesterday I decided to get it back into fighting shape. It had a layer of clear liquid on top, then a grayish layer, then some normal looking "dough". I figured a week on the countertop, with daily feedings of 50% all purpose flour and 50% rye, would hopefully help it bounce back. Turns out I was basically out of rye flour, so I fed it probably 20% rye and 80% all purpose. This morning, 12 hours later, it had at least tripled in size and smells amazing. I'd be 100% comfortable baking with it right now, but instead I think I'll feed it for a few days on the counter to make it happy before forgetting about it in the fridge again :v:.

So anybody who's scared to try sourdough because it's too much work, don't be. You need to baby it for the first couple of weeks if you're making one from scratch, but after that it's about impossible to kill.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

plester1 posted:

The short answer is it's compared to the flour weight, not the total dough weight.
Aha! Thank you.

Meanwhile, I just realized that the sourdough loaf that's coming out of the oven in ten minutes ... has no salt in it. Ah, well, heavily-salted butter it is, then.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha! Thank you.

Meanwhile, I just realized that the sourdough loaf that's coming out of the oven in ten minutes ... has no salt in it. Ah, well, heavily-salted butter it is, then.

Some of the best bread I ever had was fresh out of the oven, with a big lump of melting salted butter on it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I used Foodbod's one-day sourdough method, and it is the single best loaf I have ever made.

I am noticing that most of the weight-based bread recipes I make wind up way too dry, and I have to add extra water. This is as true for whole grain recipes as for white. Could this be an artifact of living by the sea, where the weather is cold and damp?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I used Foodbod's one-day sourdough method, and it is the single best loaf I have ever made.

I am noticing that most of the weight-based bread recipes I make wind up way too dry, and I have to add extra water. This is as true for whole grain recipes as for white. Could this be an artifact of living by the sea, where the weather is cold and damp?

I think it’s more likely variability in flours. Some flours are thirstier than others.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I took my starter out of the fridge after 2 weeks without feeding and it looks like it got a mold infection. I assume this is unsalvegeable and unsafe to use?

There goes 3 years down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
My reaction would have been to scrape off and discard the weird-bits, transfer to a clean jar, and feed it up proportionate to it's new, reduced size. Then check in after a few days to see what it looks like.