Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fartknocker posted:

Sleep issues crew checking in.

Huh, we had sleep chat on the one night I slept for 8 1/2 hours straight.

I've always slept like poo poo. When I was younger it was more that I couldn't wind down so it took forever to get to sleep. Now it's I wind down pretty easy at the right time but then I wake up 3 or 4 hours later and I'm wired, couldn't even try to go back to sleep. Maybe if I live long enough it'll balance out on its own (I know it will not do this, but I've got it bracketed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spoeank posted:

Edit: open the image on Twitter for a fun surprise that doesn't show on the embedded part on the Awful app
(THANKS TWITTER)

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They surely didn't jog.

girl on the right looks like she's about 5 seconds away from heat exhaustion so maybe?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

pay increase (up to) $0.50 a year, guaranateed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That can't possibly be real. God knows I loving hate the management class but that's just too on the nose.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Skwirl posted:

That can't possibly be real. God knows I loving hate the management class but that's just too on the nose.

I dunno man did you read that one for a drive-in in Texas requiring full on-call availability at all hours for all employees and poo poo on Facebook, screencapped from their official account? That one was somehow worse and it was legit.

Small business owners are almost all just petty tyrants anyhow.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Yesterday I had an interview for a $10 hr/20 hr per week/work every other weekend job working for the public library. I got 5 min into the interview where the interviewer told me that you're on a 6 month probation from date of hire and you do not accrue paid time off during that 6 months. If you need to be off it's without pay and more than 3 days off without pay is grounds for termination. I have plans in Sept that have been in play for a year now. So when I told her that she just looked at me and said "Well, do you want to continue with the interview?" Uh, no, no I do not. Thank you.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guze posted:

Taking the air fryer pill

I don’t think that’s going to help you sleep OP

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
"people just don't want to work"

I guess I'm spoiled living on the left coast because I've had loving rear end in a top hat managers and even they'd say "that poo poo is loving insane."

Braksgirl posted:

Yesterday I had an interview for a $10 hr/20 hr per week/work every other weekend job working for the public library.

It's illegal to pay someone only $10 an hour where I live.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 7, 2022

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wait it's every other weekend work, but they won't let you swap a weekend? Jesus. Also $10/hour, goddamn.

Also braks with your travel experience could you like, work for a cruise company or something?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Braksgirl posted:

Yesterday I had an interview for a $10 hr/20 hr per week/work every other weekend job working for the public library. I got 5 min into the interview where the interviewer told me that you're on a 6 month probation from date of hire and you do not accrue paid time off during that 6 months. If you need to be off it's without pay and more than 3 days off without pay is grounds for termination. I have plans in Sept that have been in play for a year now. So when I told her that she just looked at me and said "Well, do you want to continue with the interview?" Uh, no, no I do not. Thank you.

“Why does no one want to work*!?!”

* For slave wages, under unrealistic expectations of their personal time with the threat of being fired hanging over them from day one.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Leperflesh posted:

Wait it's every other weekend work, but they won't let you swap a weekend? Jesus. Also $10/hour, goddamn.

Also braks with your travel experience could you like, work for a cruise company or something?

It's a tricky situation. I'm an independent contractor and you run into conflict of interest situations. I don't want to quit my travel job but I'm not sure I'm allowed to work for a cruise company AND sell travel.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

20 hours per week but you have to be scheduled every other weekend too is the way I read it.

It is darkly funny that it's a public library doing this bullshit. Libraries are magic, they're awesome, but they apparently also have their tyrannical policies and bosses.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Whatcha making?

How long does your home made stuff last for?

How much time does it take?

Pics??

Nothing fancy, just spaghetti and linguine. I'm going to make lasagna next. Maybe try out some stuffed pasta after that, but haven't done it yet

I don't know how long it lasts. Supposedly it freezes really well and you just cook it an extra 2-3 minutes if it's frozen. Takes probably about an hour which includes 30 minutes of resting it after kneading

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It would have been a 20 hr week with 20 of those hours being on every other weekend. Apparently every library employee is required to work 2 weekends a month on average and I could have lived with that. Not ideal, but I could have made that work. But yeah, my plans are for a full week+ in September and I'm not canceling them. So swapping weekends wouldn't have worked anyway.

They also had no full time positions that could be filled by anyone with less than a 4 year degree which I thought was pretty crazy too. I'm not saying just anyone can be a librarian, but like, do you really need a bachelor's degree for that? I have a 2 year degree so I would have been working part time for the rest of my time there had I been hired and that's pretty bullshit too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

It’s wild the expectations managers have of their wage slaves.

Years ago working retail, I was in school and working full time. I made arrangements with others in my department and my dept manager to swap some of my shifts within the same days I was already working (like moving from open to close) so I could attend class.

The ops manager pulled me aside like three months in and told me I was required to be available for all possible shifts at all times and would have to go part time. Even with my coworkers consenting to making the swaps.

I basically told him he was being a loving pig and quit like two months later when they tried to force overtime on me.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
wooooo, i held off on quitting for a few more weeks and started being more honest with my dumb CEO about things and now I'm getting laid off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Braksgirl posted:

It would have been a 20 hr week with 20 of those hours being on every other weekend. Apparently every library employee is required to work 2 weekends a month on average and I could have lived with that. Not ideal, but I could have made that work. But yeah, my plans are for a full week+ in September and I'm not canceling them. So swapping weekends wouldn't have worked anyway.

They also had no full time positions that could be filled by anyone with less than a 4 year degree which I thought was pretty crazy too. I'm not saying just anyone can be a librarian, but like, do you really need a bachelor's degree for that? I have a 2 year degree so I would have been working part time for the rest of my time there had I been hired and that's pretty bullshit too.

For the latter, there's tons of people with library science degrees willing to work for tiny amounts so it's not so much "you need a degree for this" as "we might as well hire someone with a degree since we'll get several applicants."

I think for the hours what you're saying is, 20 hours a week, and of the ~ 80 hours a month that translates to, 20 are on two weekends (10 each). Yeah part timers aren't allowed to have vacations in America, it's part of our wage slavery system.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"Have you heard the good news?"
*Hands you a copy of the little red book*

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

pay increase (up to) $0.50 a year, guaranateed

I’ve been at more than one retail place where raises were less than that a year. Toys R Us was capped at $0.25 a year and was horrible about reverse nickel and diming you out of the full thing (One year I got a $0.21 raise, the next $0.17) for poo poo that was not your fault/beyond your control.

Retail is awful.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

It’s wild the expectations managers have of their wage slaves.

Years ago working retail, I was in school and working full time. I made arrangements with others in my department and my dept manager to swap some of my shifts within the same days I was already working (like moving from open to close) so I could attend class.

The ops manager pulled me aside like three months in and told me I was required to be available for all possible shifts at all times and would have to go part time. Even with my coworkers consenting to making the swaps.

I basically told him he was being a loving pig and quit like two months later when they tried to force overtime on me.

When I was 17 and applying to university I was working at a supermarket. I told my direct boss and their boss I was not available for a Saturday 2 weeks in advanced as I was invited to one of the universities I applied to who do interviews and other things since it was a world famous education institution. Never heard anything until I got in for my next shift after that Saturday and all hell broke loose. I got a “written warning” and was told two weeks was not enough time and how I should concentrate on my career at the supermarket and not dream of going to university as I won’t be accepted. This was from the store manager who was known for hating anyone who was part time and not a career self stacker. He had worked his way up from a stock boy at 16 and all that bollocks.

I screwed up the warning in my hand, threw it in a bin and walked out. Company in question went belly up a few years later and the store was bought by a different chain and all the staff were not rehired.

I got into the university I went for the interview at.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

I dunno man did you read that one for a drive-in in Texas requiring full on-call availability at all hours for all employees and poo poo on Facebook, screencapped from their official account? That one was somehow worse and it was legit.

Small business owners are almost all just petty tyrants anyhow.

If I remember correctly that was in MD, and the guy who ran the joint was a well-known crank. He tried to sue Royal Farms for building a gas station near his theater too.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hey Blindsite, how did your leftover birria sandos turn out?

Mine are incredible, although the brioche isn’t very stable even when toasted:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I worked at my local library as my first job as a page.

I started under 15, so in Rhode Island in 1994-5 I was making $2.85 an hour to start because you could pay under 15 year olds below minimum wage. I got a raise to $3.15 at one point, then when I hit 15, I went all the way up to $5.15.

Then I went to Walgreens and started getting paid $6 an hour to sell cigarettes to the dying elderly and illegally work in the pharmacy, that was cool.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I remember my first non-minimum wage job working part time over summers and holidays doing IT for $8/hr.

I felt rich lol

Simpler times. Now that we all sound and feel old as hell.

Freaquency posted:

If I remember correctly that was in MD, and the guy who ran the joint was a well-known crank. He tried to sue Royal Farms for building a gas station near his theater too.

Maybe I tried a quick google and couldn’t find it. It was hilarious how insane his demands of high school kids were.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My first job was minimum wage, but in san francisco that was IIRC $8.25 in 1993. And while my boss was paying other people under the table, I asked to be paid properly (and he agreed) even though that meant I was paying taxes, because it meant I was also paying into social security. I still wasn't getting my legally mandated breaks, I worked an 8 hour shift continuously on my feet with no breaks and I did that about 20 hours a week for 2 years. It sucked.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

When I was 17 and applying to university I was working at a supermarket. I told my direct boss and their boss I was not available for a Saturday 2 weeks in advanced as I was invited to one of the universities I applied to who do interviews and other things since it was a world famous education institution. Never heard anything until I got in for my next shift after that Saturday and all hell broke loose. I got a “written warning” and was told two weeks was not enough time and how I should concentrate on my career at the supermarket and not dream of going to university as I won’t be accepted. This was from the store manager who was known for hating anyone who was part time and not a career self stacker. He had worked his way up from a stock boy at 16 and all that bollocks.

I screwed up the warning in my hand, threw it in a bin and walked out. Company in question went belly up a few years later and the store was bought by a different chain and all the staff were not rehired.

When I was 19 I worked at a Office Depot while going to my freshman year of college. I put a request in two weeks in advance that I needed a Saturday off to go to a lake with my friends.

The day before I left they called me and said that was now denied since they needed me Saturday. I said well sorry I told you in advance and there's zero chance I'm missing this.

They said if I valued my job I would skip the lake and come in. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation that happened after, it was roughly:

"Do you think I need this job more than you need me as an employee? Because it feels like you don't know where the leverage here is."

"I think if you value your job over some vacation you'll cancel it."

"Well this is a learning experience for you then, because I absolutely do not value this job more than my vacation."

"...well I have to say you have some growing up to do."

"I plan on it, right after I get back from the lake."

Words can not describe what an unbelievably outstanding time I had at the lake that weekend, one of those vacations that can only be understood by remembering what it's like to be 19, drunk and laugh so hard all weekend you feel like you pulled a muscle in your stomach. I'll remember that vacation to my death bed, not so much the experience of lifting boxes for pennies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

fartknocker posted:

I’ve been at more than one retail place where raises were less than that a year. Toys R Us was capped at $0.25 a year and was horrible about reverse nickel and diming you out of the full thing (One year I got a $0.21 raise, the next $0.17) for poo poo that was not your fault/beyond your control.

Retail is awful.

The nice part of working for tips is I didn't really give a poo poo about what the restaurant paid me, my "raises" were tied entirely to more customers or rising costs to the restaurant causing them to increase food prices, because my average tips at the end of the night were 18-22% of however much food I sold. Except Sunday Brunch, for whatever reason Sunday Brunch people are the worst loving tippers. Especially the churchgoers, I guess if they just gave 10% to Jesus they think it's disrespectful to tip me better than him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you were worthy of tips, you wouldn't be working on a Sunday morning, you'd be at church.

No don't ask why they're there, but you're obviously godless and would just use the tips on drugs instead of god.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm moving forward with the Copenhagen discucssion and they sent me this as part of my offer - Anyone worked overseas know if this is a good deal or not?

quote:

The typical benefits package includes:

Accommodation
Medical Coverage
Visa Support
Tax Preparation Assistance
Transportation to destination
Home leave trip(s)-one every 6 months
Relocation allowance to cover miscellaneous expenses
If needed, language lessons and/or cultural awareness training

In most instances, you will remain on your home country payroll and continue to participate in other home country benefits, such as pension/401k. If there is a totalization agreement between your home and assignment countries, we will arrange for a certificate of coverage (A1 if in EU) to allow you to continue to participate in your home country social insurance plan.

I know that Copenhagen is more expensive than Atlanta and this doesn't say anything about a cost of living increase though...I basically won't have any living expenses except to feed myself if they're taking care of housing etc.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BigPaddy posted:

what world famous institution?

Harvard?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm moving forward with the Copenhagen discucssion

:bisonyes: :yeshaha:

(to be clear this is in response to the idea of you pursuing the move, not weighing in on the actual question)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

wooooo, i held off on quitting for a few more weeks and started being more honest with my dumb CEO about things and now I'm getting laid off.

terrible for you but this is tremendous content

what's your next move, friend?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

The nice part of working for tips is I didn't really give a poo poo about what the restaurant paid me, my "raises" were tied entirely to more customers or rising costs to the restaurant causing them to increase food prices, because my average tips at the end of the night were 18-22% of however much food I sold. Except Sunday Brunch, for whatever reason Sunday Brunch people are the worst loving tippers. Especially the churchgoers, I guess if they just gave 10% to Jesus they think it's disrespectful to tip me better than him.
Did you ever get the fake folded 5 dollar bill that was actually a "you really should go to church" mini pamphlet?

Thank you. When Jesus pays my bills and rent then I won't work Sundays.

Oh! and when I waited tables I was still a practicing Catholic and the Baptists who all went to Sunday brunch really didn't like that I thought "Living well and good deeds are are of living a Holy life" stuff when I was grilled about that from one table. The only thing that is important is accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour BUT ONLY IN THIS WAY NOT THAT OTHER WAY.

That table definitley gave me a pamphlet instead of a tip.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 7, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kalli posted:

If you were worthy of tips, you wouldn't be working on a Sunday morning, you'd be at church.

No don't ask why they're there, but you're obviously godless and would just use the tips on drugs instead of god.

As soon as another shift opened I told the manager "I'll take that shift if I can get off Sundays."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My "no, gently caress you management" experience was participating in the UPS strike in 1997. Us part-timers got a massive 50 cent raise out of that after being out of work for over a month. I missed a semester of school for that because I couldn't pay tuition.

Joey my experience when my family moved to the UK was that they had to pay taxes in both countries, put money into social security etc., and IBM paid for the accountant, a stipend to cover excess taxes etc., and helped us with housing. It looks like they're offering similar.

I've got a Danish friend, if you have any very specific questions I can pass along to her. She grew up in Sweden but has spent plenty of time in both countries.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

When I was 19 I worked at a Office Depot while going to my freshman year of college. I put a request in two weeks in advance that I needed a Saturday off to go to a lake with my friends.

Haha my first job was freight for Office Depot, that job lasted way to many years. No I’m not working the register or copy center, you see all these empty pegs, fill lists and plannos I gotta build.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what world famous institution?

Harvard?

In England and it is a type of cattle and a brand of car.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Did you ever get the fake folded 5 dollar bill that was actually a "you really should go to church" mini pamphlet?

Thank you. When Jesus pays my bills and rent then I won't work Sundays.

No, I honestly think that's an old wives' tale except not that old. I just knew if it was a table of ladies in fancy hats on a Sunday it was a really good opportunity to give the person working counter a table. (there were only 7 seats at the counter, no one wants to sit next to anyone and they were in charge of to-go orders, which people also don't tip on because they are assholes, so whoever was working counter was desperate for a server to say "hey I'm swamped, can you take table X")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm moving forward with the Copenhagen discucssion and they sent me this as part of my offer - Anyone worked overseas know if this is a good deal or not?

I know that Copenhagen is more expensive than Atlanta and this doesn't say anything about a cost of living increase though...I basically won't have any living expenses except to feed myself if they're taking care of housing etc.

this owns freaking go get it