Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BonoMan posted:

Looks pretty good but the perfect english is throwing me off

There's apparently gonna be an option to watch with full Comache language.

https://www.slashfilm.com/886791/prey-will-give-viewers-the-option-to-watch-the-film-in-the-comanche-language/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Might be the first time I ever opt to watch a dubbed live-action film instead of the original.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Subs over dubs every time

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Subs over dubs every time

I used to think this. Then I watched The Summit of the Gods. A French movie set in Japan. There is a degree of separation where who cares.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Why don't they make the Predator movie we really want where they hunt down billionaire capitalists?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That sounds boring

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Judging from the trailer there's gonna be at least one scene where you get to watch the predator tear apart some white colonials, that'll be fun.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The new Bullet Train trailer feels very spoilery. Maybe don't watch it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

live with fruit posted:

The new Bullet Train trailer feels very spoilery. Maybe don't watch it

Yeah I saw it pop up and was going to post it here but it really does give a poo poo load away. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole movie and very end scenes was spoiled in it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CelticPredator posted:

That sounds boring

im pretty sure bezos personal security is at minimum on par - likely better - than Dutch's squad

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I saw it pop up and was going to post it here but it really does give a poo poo load away. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole movie and very end scenes was spoiled in it.

Definitely seems like they show things from the last two minutes or so of the movie. And that cameo probably would've been a nice surprise in the theater. Which makes me think the movie sucks? Why else would they have to ruin their own movie like that?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Why don't they make the Predator movie we really want where they hunt down billionaire capitalists?

A Predator movie where we root for the sport hunter? How does that work?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BonoMan posted:

Looks pretty good but the perfect english is throwing me off

unless you're going to go full Apocalypto having everyone put on thier best cartoon accent is much, much worse. the actors are mostly from various NA native groups, those are their voices. what's your alternative here?

edit: really surprised the actors are doing the comanche dub though, since most of them aren't comanche speakers (the lead is sioux and comanche isn't even a siouan language). Apocalypto had the advantage of various Mayan languages still having millions of native speakers.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 7, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

looks amazing and i hope the twist is that the last act of the movie is Predator teaming up with Huntress to kill Whitey

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DeimosRising posted:

unless you're going to go full Apocalypto having everyone put on thier best cartoon accent is much, much worse. the actors are mostly from various NA native groups, those are their voices. what's your alternative here?

To find a way to do it in the native voice of whatever tribe they're representing. As posted, they're doing it in the Comanche language for a dub, it would have been awesome seeing that on screen vs a dub over english language.

I certainly am not suggesting people put on a "cartoon accent."

edit: and like I said... it looks good. It's just the perfect English just threw me off. I'm not like... clamoring for it to not have been made.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 7, 2022

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

live with fruit posted:

A Predator movie where we root for the sport hunter? How does that work?

i mean the dudes in the original are a bunch of stupid murderous assholes effectively waging illegal wars for the cia, slaughtering leftist guerillas

and iirc in the sequel the predator is hunting minorities involved in Crime and fulfilling every white boomer with a just world belief systems fantasy

Ammanas fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 7, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ammanas posted:

i mean the dudes in the original are a bunch of stupid murderous assholes effectively waging illegal wars for the cia, slaughtering leftist guerillas

But at no point are you supposed to root for the Predator. Does the billionaire win at the end?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BonoMan posted:

To find a way to do it in the native voice of whatever tribe they're representing. As posted, they're doing it in the Comanche language for a dub, it would have been awesome seeing that on screen vs a dub over english language.

I certainly am not suggesting people put on a "cartoon accent."

edit: and like I said... it looks good. It's just the perfect English just threw me off. I'm not like... clamoring for it to not have been made.

ah, the dub is probably the only option there. there are maybe a couple of hundred native comanche speakers alive on the earth and they're mostly old people. getting the actors to all learn it well enough to deliver their lines in it on set is going to be difficult at best

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

live with fruit posted:

But at no point are you supposed to root for the Predator. Does the billionaire win at the end?

The billionaire initially escapes the Predator by throwing his security at it but then learns what's going on and decides to play the game by putting named characters in its path. We root for these characters and the ones that survive at the end set up the Predator and billionaire, who deserve each other, to die together / kill each other.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

Why not? Why can’t we root for the predator.

Next predator movie make it the drat hero.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Why not? Why can’t we root for the predator.

Next predator movie make it the drat hero.

Because they're sport hunters. Sport hunting is bad.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Given the whole "Predator gate crashes a different action movie" premise from 1 and 2 that they are trying to invoke in Prey, it would be interesting if they made a Predator movie that started with a Most Dangerous Game/Hard Target scenario only for the Predator to take down all the rich rear end in a top hat "hunters" and the working class "prey" to take down the Predator.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You could absolutely do a movie where the Predators are the good guys, just not one that involves the kind that do the sport hunting.

Predator vs The Thing. Now there's a movie that isn't some boring "how about a movie where the aliens kill people I don't like, no I'm not a reactionary I promise" poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

live with fruit posted:

So what. Movies can have flawed heroes

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You could absolutely do a movie where the Predators are the good guys, just not one that involves the kind that do the sport hunting.

Predator vs The Thing. Now there's a movie that isn't some boring "how about a movie where the aliens kill people I don't like, no I'm not a reactionary I promise" poo poo.

Isn't that basically AvP?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you know what would own

Predator v Dredd

like have the Pred drop onto Megacity and it starts huntin chooms in a tower, then the Judges show up and they completely clown on the Predator, and now we're rooting for the confused alien who is being systematically hunted down by a squad of Dredds

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

live with fruit posted:

Isn't that basically AvP?

If badly written, yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Who do you think they’re paying for their hunting permits?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm still waiting for an adaptation of Archie vs Predator. I think you could squeeze that into a season of Riverdale and nobody would bat an eye.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cacator posted:

I'm still waiting for an adaptation of Archie vs Predator. I think you could squeeze that into a season of Riverdale and nobody would bat an eye.

the way the show has been going i'm extremely surprised they haven't at least done it as a halloween "dream" episode or something. i can only assume they're just keeping it in the bag until the right script and budget come together, because the people making that show would definitely know it exists

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

having everyone put on thier best cartoon accent is much, much worse.

Too bad they didn’t get the memo on Ant-Man.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Ammanas posted:

and iirc in the sequel the predator is hunting minorities involved in Crime and fulfilling every white boomer with a just world belief systems fantasy

It's amazing how people don't watch movies.

Dutch's team in the first one was explicitly a rescue team that was very angry that they were tricked into going on the mission they went on. And the second one the predator didn't seem to have any problems killing police or gang members and killed Gary busey and his team of CIA guys, a group of white criminals on the subway train as well as Bill Paxton.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i recall this video making me respect predator even more beyond "basic" cool action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyKZ0F-fVU

(don't worry, it's a very laid-back channel)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PeterCat posted:

It's amazing how people don't watch movies.

Dutch's team in the first one was explicitly a rescue team that was very angry that they were tricked into going on the mission they went on. And the second one the predator didn't seem to have any problems killing police or gang members and killed Gary busey and his team of CIA guys, a group of white criminals on the subway train as well as Bill Paxton.

Exactly. The first one is the boomer fantasy. The second one is the libertarian fantasy (see, the subway scene where everybody is packing).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And what do I do with this info

Well I put it in my butt and watch a predator 2 again

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

live with fruit posted:

Whitey colonizers are worse though. An alien race sport hunting whitey colonizers? :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kliras posted:

i recall this video making me respect predator even more beyond "basic" cool action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InyKZ0F-fVU

(don't worry, it's a very laid-back channel)

pretty good video!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's got a few good videos, but also a lot of terrible ones. His Robin Hood/King Arthur one is worth watching, and his Matrix sequel restructure is a fun thought experiment even if I don't fully agree with him.

e: and his comedy bits are awful. Do yourself a favor and skip them. Sometimes they just go on and on.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I avoided his videos for a while because he looks like the dude from Nostalgia Critic but without the dumb hat and I couldn't tell them apart. Dan Olson just barely squeaked by.