Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Depends on the language in the contract. If there's a morality clause which is something teams usually put in there's no cap hit or money paid. Those are even in rookie contracts. I doubt Watson would've signed any contract with that language in it though.

Yeah, I’m of the mind that Jimmy’s entire gambit here is that mega extension and no morality clause were the sweeteners he used just assuming the NFL cares more about protecting its young stars than “the shield”. I have never hoped in my life for a commissioner to wreck a team I’ve rooted for, but I legitimately wouldn’t be sad if Goodell just put him on exempt indefinitely but made jimmy keep paying him as effectively a $240m fine. This ownership has set a new low in a city with the Dolans and Dan loving Gilbert, and I hope that they lose everything even if it returns the franchise to the days of Hue. Probably should punish the Texans too if they covered poo poo up, but Jimmy traded for Deshaun knowing what was out there and shouldn’t get to skate for that.

Also, why the gently caress hasn’t he been on the exempt list since this all came out like 2 years ago? What’s even the point of having one if you don’t use it in a situation like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Void the contract, void the picks as in they no longer exist for anyone, force Haslem to sell the team.

If there is any kind of deal made to keep this from killing the Browns as a franchise, which $60m a year cap hit thru 2026 and 2 more years of no firsts essentially would be, it absolutely should involve Jimmy Haslem being forced to sell and barred from future ownership.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jon Bois needs to do a The Browns are in Hell Part 2

I keep thinking about this. The Browns briefly got out of hell, but sold their souls and if the hammer comes down on Watson they will be going straight back to hell.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This isn't surprising but it is horrifying. The league has to see this as a monetary risk. How have they avoided taking action at all? I don't expect them to have anyone's safety at heart. I did expect any self-preservation instincts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is important is that the Browns are going to have to start a lovely QB against the Jets in week 2....

I'm joking.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Forrest on Fire posted:

This isn't surprising but it is horrifying. The league has to see this as a monetary risk. How have they avoided taking action at all? I don't expect them to have anyone's safety at heart. I did expect any self-preservation instincts.

They spent a year probably hoping he’d be arrested and thrown in prison because then it wouldn’t be their problem anymore. Well that didn’t happen (but hey maybe it will going forward if more details of stuff comes out it’s not like he was acquitted of anything) so they’re stuck being cowards petrified to do A Thing.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They spent a year probably hoping he’d be arrested and thrown in prison because then it wouldn’t be their problem anymore. Well that didn’t happen (but hey maybe it will going forward if more details of stuff comes out it’s not like he was acquitted of anything) so they’re stuck being cowards petrified to do A Thing.

They are Monitoring the Situation. A situation where a team attempted to suspension protect an unprecedented contract. A very public situation that gets worse daily.

But by God they'll monitor it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Forrest on Fire posted:

Goodells stance so far has been to pass the buck onto the police/feds and lawyers and go "well, lets see what happens with them"

It's lazy but effective deflecting since to this point they have not had to deal with him stepping onto a field and playing yet thanks to him sitting out all last year by refusing to play for the Texans. That could all change within two months though, so Goodell is going to have to make a decision relatively soon

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I have a terrible feeling that the Browns' public reaction to this when everything collapses will be "why did the league let us sign this deal knowing what Watson had done?"

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

I have a terrible feeling that the Browns' public reaction to this when everything collapses will be "why did the league let us sign this deal knowing what Watson had done?"

The NFL needs a Haslem Rule the way the NBA made the Stepien Rule.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

skaboomizzy posted:

"The league forced us to do the most morally odious deal in NFL history and make sure Watson would get paid even if he was suspended!"

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
They’re not going to do anything until they have to, that’s just how they work. Should they do better? Absolutely. But if he’s not been put in a situation where he could play, they’re not going to step in. Goodell is absolutely hoping the browns will give him a year off while they ‘investigate’ the new cases so he doesn’t have to do poo poo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/KatieJStrang/status/1534261097556869121/photo/1

I know, intellectually, that there are legitimate uses for NDAs out there. But my gut reaction every time I read a news story involving them is that those damned things need to be reigned in.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Article is paywalled for me but this quote is, a thing. Not a good thing, but we weren't expecting any of those.

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/1534262839371870208

This should work

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/1534259659611201537

Oooweeee

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nodoze posted:

Goodells stance so far has been to pass the buck onto the police/feds and lawyers and go "well, lets see what happens with them"

It's lazy but effective deflecting since to this point they have not had to deal with him stepping onto a field and playing yet thanks to him sitting out all last year by refusing to play for the Texans. That could all change within two months though, so Goodell is going to have to make a decision relatively soon

I mean the league is at least pretending that these new allegations are shocking. So they might use this as some moral horizon even if it’s just kind of arbitrary

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They knew exactly what was going on the whole time. There is no other reason for them to give him the NDA.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1502399203007471616

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

lol this is really an all timer. how is this tweet still up!?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the league is at least pretending that these new allegations are shocking. So they might use this as some moral horizon even if it’s just kind of arbitrary

Yeah, they don't quite get the benefit of the doubt on that one after Ray Rice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nodoze posted:

Yeah, they don't quite get the benefit of the doubt on that one after Ray Rice

I mean they aren’t doing it because they actually care, if they cared they would do it you know during the first 23

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

RoastBeef posted:

This should work

Appreciated.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Totally forgot about this one. Schefter is such a shitbag water carrier.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Totally forgot about this one. Schefter is such a shitbag water carrier.

Every agent should just have his login info. Save everyone time.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Depends on the language in the contract. If there's a morality clause which is something teams usually put in there's no cap hit or money paid. Those are even in rookie contracts. I doubt Watson would've signed any contract with that language in it though.

even then, they entered into a contract with this morality issue being well known. Would be hard to justify it being somehow actionable because of additional accusers. i have a feeling they're on the hook.

and god drat do they texans only continue to look worse, but the owners and league have shown they don't give af about holding anyone accountable for this.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oh yeah sure, 24 women are all lying and the NFL can't do anything because he wasn't indicted!

loving bullshit. NFL needs to put him on the exempt list forever. Both the Browns and Texans should lose draft picks.

And of course you see why the grand jury didn't move forward, because Watson's lawyer was chummy with them and they didn't even make Watson take the stand. The prosecutors absolutely tanked that and they wanted to let Watson free.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The level of cover up by the Texan's feels criminal even if it isn't. Like they were all in on it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Did any of the assaults happen outside of Texas? Any chance he could still be charged in another locality?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Neil Armbong posted:

even then, they entered into a contract with this morality issue being well known. Would be hard to justify it being somehow actionable because of additional accusers. i have a feeling they're on the hook.

Like I said depends on the language if it even exists in the contract. It would certainly end up in court if the language is there and they tried to void though based off the exact argument you're making. (not a lawyer)

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh yeah sure, 24 women are all lying and the NFL can't do anything because he wasn't indicted!

loving bullshit. NFL needs to put him on the exempt list forever. Both the Browns and Texans should lose draft picks.

And of course you see why the grand jury didn't move forward, because Watson's lawyer was chummy with them and they didn't even make Watson take the stand. The prosecutors absolutely tanked that and they wanted to let Watson free.

gently caress em both and that DA . Watson plead the 5th when it came to the grand jury so putting him on the stand was pointless however the DA called 1 witness who was a manager at one of the parlors Watson used while 12 of the victims sat in the courtroom ready to testify. None were called.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 7, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
lol the texans actively helped him try to cover it up gently caress this loving team

no wonder they tried to swerve so hard in the jesus camp direction

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Move the Browns to Baltimore, again

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Did any of the assaults happen outside of Texas? Any chance he could still be charged in another locality?

I'd have to assume the grand jury inquest can be reopened. Didn't that happen with Adrian Peterson after photos came out?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Intruder posted:

lol the texans actively helped him try to cover it up gently caress this loving team

no wonder they tried to swerve so hard in the jesus camp direction

For no reason at all I'm thinking about that "inmates running the asylum" comment from the previous owner.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Browns must’ve know this was coming today. No wonder they leaked all that stuff about Watson not being upfront

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

shocked the browns haven't taken this tweet down yet, they're getting killed in the replies

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1534256387806507008

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There were also like a half dozen other teams bidding for Watson.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think it was just the Browns, Dolphins, Falcons and Panthers and all but the Browns bowed out early?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It was reported that 13 teams were interested.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
The Saints we're definitely in on Watson too. For one.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It was reported that 13 teams were interested.

well that's disappointing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I mean every team probably was interested … and then they did the bare minimum of research