Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i can see why making it so every foreign intelligence service on earth can gather open-source intel on every US military domestic flight would, let's say "not be a priority"

they still have to share airspace with commercial and GA planes, it's not quite so clear cut as this.

it's gone wrong in the past, too. would adsb magically fix everything no, is it a bad idea to be in shared airspace without it, yeah

this is awesome, thank you. I couldn't find replay on adsbexchange when I looked but I'll remember it now.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Just when you thought Ryanair couldn't get any worse...

Ryanair Afrikaans test: South African fury over language quiz https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61703174

quote:

South Africans have condemned Irish airline Ryanair for making them take a test in the Afrikaans language on UK flights, calling it discriminatory.

The country has 11 official languages, and many say they cannot understand Afrikaans - a language which was imposed during white-minority rule.

"Due to the high prevalence of fraudulent South African passports, we require passengers travelling to the UK to fill out a simple questionnaire issued in Afrikaans," it said in a statement.

"If they are unable to complete this questionnaire, they will be refused travel and issued with a full refund," the airline continued.

Only around 13% of South Africans speak Afrikaans as a first language, according to a 2011 census.

The quiz, which one report says is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, contains questions such as what is South Africa's international dialling code, what is its capital city and who is the current president of the country.

South Africa's black majority views Afrikaans as an unfriendly language of the oppressor - or even a language of white racists - as it was forced down their throats at local schools. Black South Africans revolted against this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zero One posted:

Just when you thought Ryanair couldn't get any worse...

Ryanair Afrikaans test: South African fury over language quiz https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61703174

Holy poo poo, I thought it couldn't possibly anything really terrible, just some language option or something :stare:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Ryanair learned afrikaans exclusively from binging Die Antwoord videos

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Can they distinguish Dutch from Afrikaans?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why is an airline requiring a trivia quiz in order to take a flight?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Why is an airline requiring a trivia quiz in order to take a flight?

Airlines are generally responsible for checking that you have the right documents to enter your destination country, and are penalized if they don't do it/gently caress up. So I'm guessing that was their extremely horrible way of doing that.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if someone's entry gets rejected is the airline required to return them at the airline's expense?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yes. Even if it is for a reason the airline would have no way to know.

Like if the passenger had a valid but wrong type of visa. Or if the border agent didn't like their skin color.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ottawa Museum has a 'moratorium' on collecting anything, Pima Air Museum makes bid for last SAR Buffalo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Surprising that the RCAF Museum outside CFB Trenton isn't interested in it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Surprising that the RCAF Museum outside CFB Trenton isn't interested in it.

They have one.
http://airforcemuseum.ca/eng/?page_id=4812

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I should've probably remembered that but I visited the museum in the Before Times so :shrug:.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There already is an Air Afrikaans though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuLL8g8ena0

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sorry I'm not backreading the last 740 pages.
This is a neat story.

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sr-71-pilot-explains-how-he-survived-to-his-blackbird-disintegration-at-a-speed-of-mach-3-2/

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Pima buffalo Buffalo buffalo Ottowa Buffalo

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Scam Likely posted:

The wife and I recently got to see an airshow where the F-35 and F-22 performed, first time seeing them in person for us. The F-35's were surprisingly loud, louder than the twin engine F-22's ad F-18's.

We were in Atlanta for Memorial Day weekend and four fighter jets in formation were doing passes for unknown reasons on Friday and it was amazingly loud. Like before I saw the fighters, I legit thought it was an airliner at some very unusual altitude.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
That’s sad because the Ottawa aviation museum is pretty dope tbh.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

smackfu posted:

We were in Atlanta for Memorial Day weekend and four fighter jets in formation were doing passes for unknown reasons on Friday and it was amazingly loud. Like before I saw the fighters, I legit thought it was an airliner at some very unusual altitude.

I'm about 15 miles from our national guard base and if the wind is blowing in the right direction the sound of the fighters taking off will shake my windows. If it's blowing in the opposite direction, sounds like distant thunder.

Just insane how loud these things can get, which is weird because I've definitely done the "laying on my car just outside the fence along the runway path" when they land and not nearly as ear splitting as I'd expect.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Never not blackbird post.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I've read this story at least 4 or 5 times, every time it's posted, and it's always worth reading.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I'm about 15 miles from our national guard base and if the wind is blowing in the right direction the sound of the fighters taking off will shake my windows. If it's blowing in the opposite direction, sounds like distant thunder.

Just insane how loud these things can get, which is weird because I've definitely done the "laying on my car just outside the fence along the runway path" when they land and not nearly as ear splitting as I'd expect.
Takeoff power involves afterburners and landing does not.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've lurked in this thread forever without posting, I just wanted to say I appreciate this link. I've poked around for a while to find archives of flight tracks that included at least some military flights and I never found this site's replay feature.

I started looking because sometime last summer, I randomly heard the loudest jet noise go overhead, it honestly sounded like a full rocket launch. I've never heard anything so loud here in town, I can't imagine it was anything but a fighter jet/jets blasting by for some reason, which I've never seen here. Obviously they weren't on flightaware and I didn't know about adsbexchange at the time. I can't remember the date closely enough to see if they might be on there without sitting through a couple months of data, but I'll know where to look if it happens again.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I've read this story at least 4 or 5 times, every time it's posted, and it's always worth reading.

Yeah I really appreciate the detail in this story and that each step of the ejection procedure and thought process was covered even though the event essentially boiled down to 'plane disintegrated, all automatic ejection systems performed as expected.'

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

standard.deviant posted:

Goddamn it I knew this and it just escaped my memory :bang:

Well... Mystery solved!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i can see why making it so every foreign intelligence service on earth can gather open-source intel on every US military domestic flight would, let's say "not be a priority"

It's almost as if any national actor that can act upon the information can't glean that information through other means easily.

No the real reason is mil types hate to think they are not the absolute priority in everything so push back on any extra effort even well within their budget.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

standard.deviant posted:

Yeah, at the air show the best passes were when they zipped by the crowd then turned tail and cranked the afterburner sending glorious air shearing ripples right into everyones chests. Guess it's the loudest you can get barring actually breaking the sound barrier.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Electric Wrigglies posted:

It's almost as if any national actor that can act upon the information can't glean that information through other means easily.

No the real reason is mil types hate to think they are not the absolute priority in everything so push back on any extra effort even well within their budget.

i mean, as easily as writing a script to refresh a website and database the results? although yes i have no trouble believing military bureaucrats hate having to accommodate anyone or anything besides their own butts

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i mean, as easily as writing a script to refresh a website and database the results? although yes i have no trouble believing military bureaucrats hate having to accommodate anyone or anything besides their own butts

what value is there in finding out a KC-135 is doing a training/practice flight of refuelling tracks off the Oregon coast

is it greater or lesser than the value in that KC-135 not getting hit by a Cessna coming out of a cloud layer

it's when those planes get deployed that matters, not when they're doing donuts in the sky at home

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 7, 2022

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i'm not arguing FOR it, just speculating on what the colossal lumbering bureaucracy that is the us military may have used to justify it

e: also there's definitely value in being able to see increases or pattern changes in training and logistics, and get insight on what assets are at domestic bases vs forward deployed

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have to assume fleet upgrades involve enough paperwork to make anyone try to avoid it no matter how logical the upgrade is, but also lol mx budget

please answer the other half of that question though, I get that there are reasons for it but you acknowledge it's a tradeoff, right

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 7, 2022

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Lol we don’t even have the budget to fix the planes and helicopters we do have. Adding the hardware for adsb on platforms that don’t already included is low priority for that reason alone.

The budget of the military is controlled by the lobbies of our largest military contractors.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Bob A Feet posted:

Lol we don’t even have the budget to fix the planes and helicopters we do have. Adding the hardware for adsb on platforms that don’t already included is low priority for that reason alone.

The budget of the military is controlled by the lobbies of our largest military contractors.

i remember, years ago, posting a quote from a book about desert storm which had mission readiness rates and at least one USAF guy couldn't believe how high they were because apparently they had maintenance budgets back then? :v:

I literally had to go check the quote again because they were so surprised

e: i think it was C-5 readiness which really made them go :catstare: because even though it was on the low end in the table, it was still a pretty high number

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 7, 2022

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The commanding officer of the initial Osprey squadron was canned due to publicly saying he needed to “make the readiness numbers better.” That is commonplace these days.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Psion posted:

what value is there in finding out a KC-135 is doing a training/practice flight of refuelling tracks off the Oregon coast

is it greater or lesser than the value in that KC-135 not getting hit by a Cessna coming out of a cloud layer

it's when those planes get deployed that matters, not when they're doing donuts in the sky at home

If nothing else, if it's doing donuts in Oregon it isn't deployed to somewhere you're about to start poo poo.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Psion posted:

please answer the other half of that question though, I get that there are reasons for it but you acknowledge it's a tradeoff, right

the part about the value of preventative measures to bureaucrats? that answers itself imo, they'll never care about something that hasnt happened yet, except in circumstances where someone is explicitly threatening their job for not caring

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Psion posted:

I have to assume fleet upgrades involve enough paperwork to make anyone try to avoid it no matter how logical the upgrade is, but also lol mx budget

It took almost 15 years of planning, contracts, and red tape for the AWACS fleet to start entering the depot for flight deck upgrades to become RVSM compliant. New loving seats in the back were over a decade.

That's about 30 jets. Now start thinking about 800 F-15s (a few years back), 1500 F-16s, etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hi yes hello

https://twitter.com/303snowwolf/status/1533931706255699968

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

^^ lol, lmao

Godholio posted:

It took almost 15 years of planning, contracts, and red tape for the AWACS fleet to start entering the depot for flight deck upgrades to become RVSM compliant. New loving seats in the back were over a decade.

That's about 30 jets. Now start thinking about 800 F-15s (a few years back), 1500 F-16s, etc.

hahaha okay well I knew the paperwork would be bad but I didn't think 15 years bad, hot drat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

they'll never care about something that hasnt happened yet

I wasn't speaking hypothetically in that example. see here. though it wasn't a cessna, and I'll be the first to admit I have no idea whether or not adsb was involved or even would matter in this specific case. But to restate generally, I don't think anyone should get exceptions to safe shared civil airspace, even if I understand why some .mil planes don't have the gear, I find the ~Opsec~ arguments to be irrelevant. that's it really!

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Psion posted:

^^ lol, lmao

hahaha okay well I knew the paperwork would be bad but I didn't think 15 years bad, hot drat

This is part of why companies become “defense only” and “not defense” - 15 years to finalize a contract is not possible for most even medium sized companies. But if you are a huge company and have something you started 15 years ago rolling…