Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ailumao posted:

honors are evil. if i start a hand with like one of 2 different honors and discard one i will invariably immediately pick up a second of the one i just discarded.

I can't tell you how frequently I've discarded a dragon just to have my next two draws be that same dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Pretty much. I usually look to start getting the rest of my hand in order before I start dumping honors unless I see the rest of the table doing so.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

as well as relaxing over holding honors I have striven to get better with my defense and folding hopeless/low scoring hands, especially in the face of a riichi call or two in the second half

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The second worst feeling in the world is when everybody is in riichi but you

The worst feeling is the above but when the round ends and you're the only one not in tenpai

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite is still "Furiten? Wait why am I in furiten?"

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mine is drawing a tile that recontextualizes the have, carefully considering which tile to drop, noticing the timer, then snap dropping exactly the wrong tile and messing everything up.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I just picked this up yesterday, having only played the game in Yakuza before (Manly, hyper serious dramatic men beat waifus). Still working on learning the yakus, still terrified of calling in case I gently caress up my hand. At least the timer seems more lenient than when playing against AIs.

Should I bother trying to read people's discards at this point (besides playing already discarded tiles when someone has declared Riichi), or should I start by focusing on my hand until I feel comfortable with yakus?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The nice thing about this client is that if you mouse over a tile in your hand it will highlight all the tiles of the same type on the board so you can get an idea of what's safe to drop

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Heath posted:

The nice thing about this client is that if you mouse over a tile in your hand it will highlight all the tiles of the same type on the board so you can get an idea of what's safe to drop

Yeah, that helps a lot. I have missed at lest one win by checking one tile, and then discarding it accidentally by not dragging it back enough, but that's on me.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Fat Samurai posted:

I just picked this up yesterday, having only played the game in Yakuza before (Manly, hyper serious dramatic men beat waifus). Still working on learning the yakus, still terrified of calling in case I gently caress up my hand. At least the timer seems more lenient than when playing against AIs.

Should I bother trying to read people's discards at this point (besides playing already discarded tiles when someone has declared Riichi), or should I start by focusing on my hand until I feel comfortable with yakus?
Don't worry about defense until you're capable of winning hands comfortably; you want to be able to recognize when to pursue riichi, yakuhai or tanyao. The only information worth gleaning from discards at an early skill level is what tiles are close to dead (e.g. dropping a 13 shape when three 2s are discarded.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My favorite is still "Furiten? Wait why am I in furiten?"

Riichi!!! Take that...er, what do you mean no yaku? And furiten? :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Psa to always wait a bit before calling ron. Some Doofus in my last game gave up a lot of points cuz they mashed ron immediately instead of letting me call kan first.

I actually never encountered that situation before but it didn’t give them robbing a kan so you do need to wait for the kan to be called.

Bilirubin posted:

Riichi!!! Take that...er, what do you mean no yaku? And furiten? :(

I played Chinese styles of mahjong for years before taking up riichi and yaku is very annoying as many no yaku hands in riichi are perfectly valid in Chinese mahjong.

Speaking of Chinese mahjong, my favorite style of Chinese mahjong is in Mahsoul right now as Bloodshed skirmish. It’s sichuanese style which is super duper fast and my favorite kind to play in person still.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 2, 2022

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you can't do that, all calls have to be made simultaneously (and Ron overrides pon/kan which overrides chi). Robbing a kan only applies when you already called an open pon and self drew the fourth copy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm starting to think that my impulse to go for toitoi as soon as I have four pairs is a mistake.

Is it weird to think that not losing points in a round is a success? It feels weird.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 3, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Not weird at all. Playing perfectly defensively and having someone else deal in is magnificent.

Going for toitoi, chiitoitsu, or just sitting tight, with four pairs... it's hard to tell.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I know I'm often very tempted by toitoi and go in on it and very often screw myself in doing so. Especially if a lot of my pairs are like 677, 233, etc.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Fat Samurai posted:

if you notice "dang they haven't discard anything in one suit" then get worried, and if they have a yaku visible (like round/seat wind or dragons) then play defensively against them, but otherwise you can ignore their discards until you're more advanced

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Going for toitoi, chiitoitsu, or just sitting tight, with four pairs... it's hard to tell.

I tend not to push too hard on four pairs alone, unless one of those pairs is yakuhai or dora. Having paired terminals or 2/8 tiles that look relatively easy to come out also plays into the decision-making. Toitoi and chiitoitsu being only two han each really want to have some additional value to make them worth going for. That's especially true if you're calling and closing off some of your defensive options: pairs can be useful when you have nothing better to fold, since if one discard passes, the other one should too.

For my own playstyle, if I have four pairs in my hand, I'll often quietly hold on to them until my hand develops away from keeping them all, or until I get a closed triplet or fifth pair to help push me towards a toitoi or chiitoitsu hand. Being a generally passive, call-adverse player, it often ends up going against those hands, since they can be tricky to draw into.

MrBlarney fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jun 4, 2022

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
I decided to make the final push from adept 3 to expert and it went much quicker than expected :toot:

Current stats before they get trashed in the gold room. I played east only in bronze just to learn the game, then moved on to south once I hit adept.

It's a really fun game overall, although I find east games to be a bit coin-flippy for my taste. I much prefer taking the time to play a longer game.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Gratz on Expert! You can still play in silver room as Expert if you need a break from the intensity of gold room, too.

I took a few months break and when I came back I dove right into Gold South games and pretty quickly scrubbed back down to Adept, but I'm almost back up there now that I've remembered a few of the keys to playing good jong, like "don't click every shiny button".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

but they are sooo shiny

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
It really does seem like a universal experience, where you rank up and then immediately get busted back down, but then hold your own once you recover and have learned the skills you need to survive.

Side note - where exactly are the rules for streaming and delays on Majsoul? I know the conventional knowledge is "5 minute delay in Jade and above" but I've never been able to find that rule in the Terms of Service and it's not in the Jade Room rules pop-up. Sometimes delays are mentioned in a news update, but that's it. Is it even still a rule?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

5 minute delay for jade room was removed last august, p sure it exists for higher ranked rooms still

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

5 minute delay for jade room was removed last august, p sure it exists for higher ranked rooms still
I just checked the information pop-up for Throne room and there's no notice there about streaming either. So as far as I can tell by the rules and ToS actually on the website, there's no delay required for streaming at any level, but that... doesn't make sense.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it was mentioned in patch notes, idk if it's actually written down somewhere

https://mobile.twitter.com/MahjongSoul_EN/status/1430132447862087699/photo/2

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Wanted to share a replay from a game I just had to see if anyone has advice for me to improve (and partially to show off my insane turnaround in South 1). I think I did pretty well in the South rounds, but I’m pretty sure there were some blunders in the East rounds. My connection was pretty spotty early on so one or two mistakes might have been from that, but definitely not all of them.

Also, here are my current stats—I’m Adept 2 792/800 points. Let me know if anything looks egregious there.

edit: also mahjong is so fun lol

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

wocobob posted:

Wanted to share a replay from a game I just had to see if anyone has advice for me to improve (and partially to show off my insane turnaround in South 1). I think I did pretty well in the South rounds, but I’m pretty sure there were some blunders in the East rounds. My connection was pretty spotty early on so one or two mistakes might have been from that, but definitely not all of them.

The last two discards in east 1 were very dangerous. You were still two tiles away from a winning hand, with only 2 tiles left to draw (unless you got a pon). But there were no 5s or 8m visible at this point, so it is extremely unlikely that someone would discard a tile that dangerous this late, and there was only one 8p left, so the odds were not good for you.
For a hand that would have been worth 1600 points.

Meanwhile, the player to your left was in riichi, there were 3 dora left that you couldn't see(high chance that someone has them in ther hand) + 2 sets of ura dora. If you got hit by that it could have hurt a lot (The ura dora would not have mattered in that game, because they were 4p and 6m, but you had no way of knowing that).
You should have given up on that hand and played defensively there.

One round later, there were no draws left for you, and you still tried to push that hand, even though 4m would have been a 100% safe discard.

e: two more more games:
East 2 - 2

There was absolutely no need to open your hand and Kan there. Just let it pass and you would have had 3 100% safe tiles to discard if necessary.
Discarding the 4m killed you there. But even if it passed, it would have been a bad discard.
Discard the 1m instead:
- safer discard in general
- the 4m discard left you with a 12m shape, waiting for 3m. discarding 1m instead would have left you with 24m, which is still waiting for 3m. But 24m is a stronger shape because it can turn into 45m if you draw a 5m.

----
South 2

6m was another very risky discard this late in the game. Also, 22m was your only pair, so even if you are still trying to win the game, 1m would have been the correct play there.

e2: Last one
South 4

That 2p Pon left you with a 25p wait. But now you have already used 3 of the 2ps and discarded a 5p (Furiten!) so that wasn't the best idea.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 11, 2022

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

wocobob posted:

edit: also mahjong is so fun lol

Tamba posted:

The last two discards in east 1 were very dangerous. You were still two tiles away from a winning hand, with only 2 tiles left to draw (unless you got a pon). But there were no 5s or 8m visible at this point, so it is extremely unlikely that someone would discard a tile that dangerous this late, and there was only one 8p left, so the odds were not good for you.
For a hand that would have been worth 1600 points.

Meanwhile, the player to your left was in riichi, there were 3 dora left that you couldn't see(high chance that someone has them in ther hand) + 2 sets of ura dora. If you got hit by that it could have hurt a lot (The ura dora would not have mattered in that game, because they were 4p and 6m, but you had no way of knowing that).
You should have given up on that hand and played defensively there.

One round later, there were no draws left for you, and you still tried to push that hand, even though 4m would have been a 100% safe discard.

e: two more more games:
East 2 - 2

There was absolutely no need to open your hand and Kan there. Just let it pass and you would have had 3 100% safe tiles to discard if necessary.
Discarding the 4m killed you there. But even if it passed, it would have been a bad discard.
Discard the 1m instead:
- safer discard in general
- the 4m discard left you with a 12m shape, waiting for 3m. discarding 1m instead would have left you with 24m, which is still waiting for 3m. But 24m is a stronger shape because it can turn into 45m if you draw a 5m.

----
South 2

6m was another very risky discard this late in the game. Also, 22m was your only pair, so even if you are still trying to win the game, 1m would have been the correct play there.

e2: Last one
South 4

That 2p Pon left you with a 25p wait. But now you have already used 3 of the 2ps and discarded a 5p (Furiten!) so that wasn't the best idea.
Thanks for all of these :words: learning defensive play myself and I find them helpful

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just hit Novice 3. Mahjong is fun. :v:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

My call rate is still stupid high from being a novice and ponning all the things. Have to see those drop down some--its down 15% from its peak but still, ugh

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Realizing I don't actually have a lot of the values memorized as far as what's 2 han vs. 3 han, etc., got me thinking: in the standard rule sets, are the hands more or less correctly valued according to the difficulty of making them, at least in vague tiers?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nope!!

Half outside and full outside are really hard, half flush is pretty easy, etc.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Realizing I don't actually have a lot of the values memorized as far as what's 2 han vs. 3 han, etc., got me thinking: in the standard rule sets, are the hands more or less correctly valued according to the difficulty of making them, at least in vague tiers?

No, ryanpeikou should be Yakuman for how rare it is, not 2 han

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Here's a helpful table from the Tenhou server. The first column is the name of the yaku, the second column is percentage of all winning hands containing that yaku, and the third column is the average han value of that yaku. Sankantsu is much rarer than your average yakuman, but it's still worth only 2 han. Honitsu is way more common than a 2-han yaku should be, but I think many people are willing to overlook that since it's also quite easy to read from someone's discards and defend against.

http://tenhou.net/sc/prof.html

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Tamba posted:

No, ryanpeikou should be Yakuman for how rare it is, not 2 han
Joke's on you, ryanpeikou is 3 han. :smug: And sankantsu is even rarer than ryanpeikou and several Yakuman.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

absolutely not lol

Chanta is infamous for being undervalued for its difficulty, and i think ryanpeikou and sankantsu are both rarer than some yakuman

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ryanpeikou in fairness is one of those hands that almost always scores big because it's closed only (for riichi) and i *think* it's a guaranteed pinfu

e) nah, i'm thinking of Daisharin (22334455667788 suited) which is an optional yakuman but scores 11 han naturally, without riichi

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I remember being really surprised to find out that in poker, hands actually are ordered in strength according to how rare they are.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
There are also patterns in other Mahjong rulesets that are imbalanced in the other direction. In MCR, or Chinese Official Mahjong, Little Three Dragons (shousangen in Riichi) gets 64 points, which is a yakuman kind of value. And Seven Pairs (chiitoitsu) is worth 24 points, on the same level as a Full Flush (chinitsu). MCR's value assigned to Full Straight (ikkitsuukan) also feels overly high, at 16 points.

Maybe that's just me coming from a perspective of being a Riichi player with no experience playing MCR. Maybe those are more reasonable than they look due to MCR's high 8-point minimum hand requirement and (supposed) relatively higher bias towards offense. But as someone who also trusts the combinatorics and math behind Zung Jung Mahjong, I'm willing to believe they're as overvalued as they appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Chanta is such a trap because even if your starting hand looks excellent for it, you need to discard simples all the time which are often the most dangerous tiles to discard.
Source: me, who keeps chasing stupid Chantas.