Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean Mass Effect 1's plot involves you the brave military desperately trying to convince the ineffective and useless civilian government that the Geth have a new WMD but they refuse to believe you.
It would be a bit uncomfortable in general, but considering how fresh the Forever War in Iraq still was back in 07 or whatever it was when the game came out, yeah, yikes. I loved it then and I still adit to having a soft spot for the first two games, and especially the first, but goddamn if looking back on it as an adult does it not have some seriously grotesque politics.

The solution to problems is for the government to authorize a supersoldier beholden to no one with absolute license to kill and do whatever they want whenever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't even got to the point the plot is starting. It's just, on its face it's the most boring possible version of this kind of setting. Desperate lack of imagination just like every other Bioware game I've seen.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Having recently replayed the series, I have to say that I may have overestimated my love for ME1. I like its vibes the most in the series with its more mysterious galaxy-building and its musical store. But once I have to start completing quests, it feels like a slog. ME2 might actually be my favorite to play because the dialogue moves at a good pace and the missions end before they feel too long.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Play Star Control 2 people. It's adventurous and funny and you meet many memorable characters. And the gameplay is fun. It's the best version of any mass effect.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I mean Mass Effect 1's plot involves you the brave military desperately trying to convince the ineffective and useless civilian government that the Geth have a new WMD but they refuse to believe you.
It would be a bit uncomfortable in general, but considering how fresh the Forever War in Iraq still was back in 07 or whatever it was when the game came out, yeah, yikes. I loved it then and I still adit to having a soft spot for the first two games, and especially the first, but goddamn if looking back on it as an adult does it not have some seriously grotesque politics.

The solution to problems is for the government to authorize a supersoldier beholden to no one with absolute license to kill and do whatever they want whenever they want.

Goddamn. When you put it like this, I’ve never actually considered the context of it. Lol

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Dabir posted:

I've made two attempts to watch Woolie's first Mass Effect episode and I just can't get through it. It's not them, it's the game, it's shocking how loving boring it is right off the jump. Oh boy, the Americans are in space, everyone's racist and we respect the troops. gently caress off. Bioware was never good.

Lol wait until you see Mass Effect 2 where you are forced to work for a human supremacist organization

Shame on BioWare for not realizing that we just want to hang out with our alien buddies

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

theCalamity posted:

Lol wait until you see Mass Effect 2 where you are forced to work for a human supremacist organization

Shame on BioWare for not realizing that we just want to hang out with our alien buddies

Everything about the resurrection of Shepard in two makes so much more sense when you learn that the original plan was for the Geth to do it.

The reactions people have to it (like the council being reluctant was meant to be that you’re working with the Geth, instead of just a Human Supremacist organisation you can refute at every possible moment).

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Everything about the resurrection of Shepard in two makes so much more sense when you learn that the original plan was for the Geth to do it.

The reactions people have to it (like the council being reluctant was meant to be that you’re working with the Geth, instead of just a Human Supremacist organisation you can refute at every possible moment).

I had no idea it was originally going to be the geth and it makes a lot more sense

Especially with Legion having a piece of your armor grafted onto them

The Cerberus stuff was the dumbest. Every atrocity they committed is written off as "it was a rogue scientist" which calls into question why they keep hiring rogue scientists

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

theCalamity posted:

I had no idea it was originally going to be the geth and it makes a lot more sense

Especially with Legion having a piece of your armor grafted onto them

The Cerberus stuff was the dumbest. Every atrocity they committed is written off as "it was a rogue scientist" which calls into question why they keep hiring rogue scientists

Even better Legion has recorded voice lines for stuff he literally cannot participate in because he was meant to be your first squad member. Like the Councillors calling harbinger a Geth ship.

Liara was also meant to be more directly involved in Project Lazarus (which she is anyway, she retrieved Shepard’s body).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Bioware *magic*

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

Goddamn. When you put it like this, I’ve never actually considered the context of it. Lol
Tangential, but maybe counts cause ME1 sidequests gave me huge Trek vibes in hindsight, but Star Trek Enterprise Season 3 was possibly the most "oh, this is post 2001, right?" I've been smacked with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

9/11 happened two weeks before season 1 episode 1 broadcast.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pennsylvanian posted:

Having recently replayed the series, I have to say that I may have overestimated my love for ME1. I like its vibes the most in the series with its more mysterious galaxy-building and its musical store. But once I have to start completing quests, it feels like a slog. ME2 might actually be my favorite to play because the dialogue moves at a good pace and the missions end before they feel too long.

ME2 is absolutely the best game in the series.

I honestly think Pat summed up ME1 best when he said "it plays like a fake video game"

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

9/11 happened two weeks before season 1 episode 1 broadcast.
Yeah, I think I read something about them being in the middle of production (of season 2 presumably?) when it happened. Either way, Season 3 opens with earth being attacked by an alien super weapon that kills millions (in America of course), and it's quickly revealed another more deadly attack will occur in the future, so the crew needs to go to a remote part of space to stop the aliens responsible. There's a lot of episodes dealing with moral greyness and "do the ends justify the means" - it's been awhile so I dont remember the specifics but I think it does manage to be far more nuanced the bloodthirsty vengeance of 24, but you can just really feel reality reflecting hard in some of the episodes and the general themes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I think I read something about them being in the middle of production (of season 2 presumably?) when it happened. Either way, Season 3 opens with earth being attacked by an alien super weapon that kills millions (in America of course), and it's quickly revealed another more deadly attack will occur in the future, so the crew needs to go to a remote part of space to stop the aliens responsible. There's a lot of episodes dealing with moral greyness and "do the ends justify the means" - it's been awhile so I dont remember the specifics but I think it does manage to be far more nuanced the bloodthirsty vengeance of 24, but you can just really feel reality reflecting hard in some of the episodes and the general themes.

That's the opening of season 1. It cuts up a good portion of Florida bugs bunny style

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That's the opening of season 1. It cuts up a good portion of Florida bugs bunny style
Naw, season one is a Klingon crash landing in a corn field and there's some aliens chasing him. The crew gets formed and they gotta bring the Klingon home as sort of earth's first real higher warp speed trip.

Season 1 also has some time authority shenanigans going on, but it's mostly piecemeal moral-quandary-of-the-week episodes IIRC. I think season 3 and 4 were a lot more serialized.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

gently caress that series was so awful I blanked out the 1st 2 seasons completely

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I found it tolerable enough, but maybe I have a very low bar. It sure isn't TNG or DS9, but if you can tolerate VOY I dont think ENT is that much worse.

It's certainly better (or at least not as exhaustingly gritty/cynical) then modern Trek.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tthe ends are bbad

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Even better Legion has recorded voice lines for stuff he literally cannot participate in because he was meant to be your first squad member. Like the Councillors calling harbinger a Geth ship.

Liara was also meant to be more directly involved in Project Lazarus (which she is anyway, she retrieved Shepard’s body).

Oh man, what we could've had instead of Yoomanity

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mcbeefcake rules tho

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

James Vega? Just another boring human

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ok

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Big McLargehuge kicks rear end, but yeah I mean I'd love to have a Volus companion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
volus? I want an elcor

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

volus? I want an elcor

There is enough MEAT in James Vega to account for both.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

There’s no meat at all. James Vegan.

Self-edit: wait I’m sorry, that’s Jacob. Jacob Vegan.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

James Vega is a himbo before the times and good

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There should have been a volus on your ship to hang out with, a hanar to romance, and an elcor squadmate on a hoverboard, but Bioware are cowards.

Also I can't wait for 2026 when Woolie finally gets to Mass Effect 3 and meets Ninja McWiddlesinplants.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nuns with Guns posted:

There should have been a volus on your ship to hang out with, a hanar to romance, and an elcor squadmate on a hoverboard, but Bioware are cowards.

Also I can't wait for 2026 when Woolie finally gets to Mass Effect 3 and meets Ninja McWiddlesinplants.

Everything I hear about Kai Leng feels like a fale character, tbh.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes, kai leng is both fake and fail

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Vega rules as a guy, but as another human taking up space in the third game? Nah.

Now, if he was in ME1 and the only human you ever got, that'd be another story. A better one, because literally every other human party member loving sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't understand, there's only one human sidekick in mass effect 1, kaiden. He's boring but that's about it. He does a great job keeping the benches on the ship warm for wrex and garrus.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1534216617172684800?s=20&t=8bTQ4Gxo4uBDUPck6mMMwQ

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
lol gief just sunnin

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Rody One Half posted:

Vega rules as a guy, but as another human taking up space in the third game? Nah.

Now, if he was in ME1 and the only human you ever got, that'd be another story. A better one, because literally every other human party member loving sucks.

Now wait a goddamn minute Zaeed exists and rules. He would've beaten the reapers alone if Shepard died. Only goddamn being left alive but he'd have done it.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The ending should have had Shepard walking into the Crucible only to see Zaeed already in there telling war stories to the Star Child.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Monitor Burn posted:

Its half a controller and an MMO mouse, add it to "Things Woolie would rather do than use a keyboard for old PC games"

God that is so insane to me. It's been wild finding out how Woolie has an equal number of brainworms as Pat

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think it was a couple months ago it came out that Woolie was still using Windows 8.1 because he'd heard negative things about 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kazzah posted:

I think it was a couple months ago it came out that Woolie was still using Windows 8.1 because he'd heard negative things about 10.

no

stop this

:cripes: