Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m not going to stop fighting until he breaks the microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

Lol not the greatest AITA but y'all just TRY to guess the spoilered name

AITA for not letting my wife choose a baby name for one of the twins after I chose the other one?

I'm guessing MIL does not know who Frodo is

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my brother my fiancée was right and he should use proper manners while he was eating?

Is there seriously some manners bullshit that you can't eat all your steak?

Lol, getting pissy about etiquette at Milestones. Save that for your wedding banquet at The Keg!

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for my answer when my MIL insisted to know exaclty how my husband and I spent our honeymoon?

quote:

My husband "Jerry", 31and I, 27 are newly weds, we just got back from our honeymoon and his mom (MIL who is a snoop in nature and who always wants to know about everything going on in her son's life) invited us to her house multiple times for dinner. She kept insisting Jerry tell her evverything that happened on the honeymoon. every single detail. My husband kept giving her vague answers because we really didn't much other than spend time together but he admitted later that he could no longer handle the pressure from her.

She invited us for a BBQ get together few days ago. And when everyone gathered to eat. MIL asked once again how the honeymoon was spent and I looked at Jerry and saw how annoyed he is. I decided to handle the conversation and answer her question. I responded by saying that we didn't do much...we just had sex NON-STOP. I admitted how he was often on top but never seized to please me, and how I remember having him between my thighs most of the time. how I loved it! how I he made me feel like I was the only woman in the world. how I was mostly the one who initiated and he never ever turned me off. then said It was bliss..." MIL was stunned like absolutely stunned. I then added " I mean we did go out a few times to look at some places but then went back and had".

Awward silence for the whole family...then BIL goes "Soooo....anything else to talk about???" MIL blew up at me calling me shameless and disrespectful for talking like this infront of her and family. She then saud the question was for my husband not me but I told her that....you know since I was there then I figured I'd help out since he's a bit of weak memory and she wanted "details". She at this point got up and got into an argument with me and told Jerry to take me out of there because I was no longer welcome.

We left and Jerry wasn't happy with how I handled it. Then his 2 sisters berated me up and down for "insulting" their mom and embarrassing by talking in an inappropriate manner at the party and ruining the atmesphere. They demanded I apologize and Jerry says it's the only way but I'm not sure at this point because I felt like I had to do this to get her to stop asking.

AITA?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, I wonder if he was trying to stop them first and they just ignored him until he gave up and got crazy with it? Surely that wasn't the first thing he tried??
I was trying to think of what I would do in his case to out crazy them and get their attention off each other and all I can think of is hoping there's a spray wand or hose attachment on the kitchen faucet. Or a pitcher of water to toss on them.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

kdrudy posted:

All I know is you have to eat every last bit of the Ol' 96er if you want that free meal.

r/relationships: eat every last bit of the Ol' Sixer

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neither Emily Post nor Miss Manners tells you to leave a bite uneaten. (Miss Manners specifically says 'Leave a bite for Miss Manners', how it was often phrased, is wrong.) And as for not using steak sauce at a loving steak place, bah. But overall, the rude person is the one that rebukes their host's manners in public.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not telling my cousin my fiance works at the same office as her husband?

quote:

First/only post, I mainly lurk. I thought stuff like this only happened in movies, but it happened and would like some unbiased opinions. More light-hearted than some of the other posts on here.

I have a cousin 'Kat', who got married to 'Henry' early this year. We weren't close as kids - she was pretty spoilt and would always brag about how much designer stuff she has, be really mean to people under the guise of "just trying to help", etc. Don't go out of our way to interact with one another but I do see her at family events and whatnot and we make small talk.

I'm engaged to 'Chris', who is a software engineer. He's co-head of his department at work with two other people - not too long ago, Chris was telling me about how they had some new employees and one of them sounded really familiar, he told me the name and I realized it was Kat's husband. (Also he and Henry hadn't met face-to-face yet)

Kat and Henry had a huge wedding, it was really nice but all she did for months is brag about how amazing her wedding was. The wedding stuff's died down now so recently she's started going on about how wealthy her husband is and what a great lifestyle they have. One of my other aunts celebrated her 50th about a week ago, I went with Chris and Kat was there with Henry. We were chatting and Kat was saying how Henry has a fantastic new job that pays even more than his previous one. Henry chimed in and said that they were already planning to buy a new house. Kat asked what Chris does. I said he was an engineer like Henry and he has a good job too, but I'll admit I left out where he works on purpose. She smiled and nodded, then said it's fine, she understands that I'm embarrassed and want to keep it quiet. So that was pretty much the end of our conversation then - when we were leaving, she pulled me aside and told me to "let her and Henry know if we needed help with the wedding". Obviously I knew what she meant and it was just another dig, but I said bye and left.

Literally two days later, I get a dm from Kat and she's furious (well, as much as one can be through text) that I didn't tell them that Chris was one of Henry's bosses. Henry was shocked to see him in the office and Chris made a comment "tell Kat -OP- and me don't need help but thanks for offering". Henry's really embarrassed and so's Kat, and she said that we made them look bad on purpose and if she knew, she'd have never made those comments. It was my "duty" to tell her and Henry. Chris and I had a really good laugh over this, but she sent a text out to the family group chat we have saying how she was "blindsided" by me. A few others said that what we did was petty and wrong. So, AITA?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Steaks must be circumsized to eat properly. If you are served a steak with gristle/fat still attached, do not tip the waiter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The way I heard it is that supposedly it's good manners in Asian countries to leave some food on the plate, while in Western countries it's the opposite. Or if you clean your plate they'll assume you want seconds, leading to some hilarious misunderstandings.

In any case, 'manners' (Beyond like, chew with your mouth closed) are mostly whatever was made up by some fucker in the Victorian era to sell books to the credulous middle class while the upper class they think they're emulating did and continue to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. And they're usually ill-defined and contradictory enough that someone can use them as an excuse to poo poo on you any time they want and not have to explain why.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or if you clean your plate they'll assume you want seconds, leading to some hilarious misunderstandings.

Holy poo poo this explains so much about dinners with my stepdad’s Japanese mother

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Yeah it's in the Japanese tourist books to always leave a little bit of what you've ordered, otherwise it seems rude.

Also, absolutely don't tip in resteraunts apparently.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

AITA for telling my brother my fiancée was right and he should use proper manners while he was eating?

Is there seriously some manners bullshit that you can't eat all your steak?

I guess if it's got a bone it's probably considered pretty rude to eat that part.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trickybiscuits posted:

Bringing the MIL over (DURING A PANDEMIC) was such a horrible idea that I can't remember the rest of the post.

to be fair having a newborn baby in a pandemic with no help is, uh, not great

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for not letting my wife choose a baby name for one of the twins after I chose the other one?

BIL said it's a good name (but his daughter is named Wheat, so yeah).

Holy poo poo lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My son is named Barley

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
She had a conjoined twin named Chaff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the start of the meal, I place five pieces of steak on the table. Every time the waiter displeases me, I eat one

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
r/relationships: but his daughter is named Wheat, so yeah

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

haveblue posted:

At the start of the meal, I place five pieces of steak on the table. Every time the waiter displeases me, I eat one

Imagine five pieces of steak on the edge of a cliff...

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

r/relationships: but his daughter is named Wheat, so yeah

They're really going against the grain.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mx. posted:

AITA for insisting my boyfriend’s father call me doctor?

Not specific about this one. More a general comment on the older people, (usually men but not always), who feel they must be "respected".

But what they really want is subservience. They want you to acknowledge that they are better/higher rank/status/more important than you, and as such to defer to them and take your place under them.

These are also the kind of people who say stuff like "Yuo have to give respect in order to get respect"

And my actual point is that if you do give them your aquiescence, and bend over for them, kowtowing to their will, (as they want), they immediately will never respect you. Because you have shown yourself to be weak, lesser than, and beneath them. So they will continue to lord over you and expect that you remain in your place of lesserness.

But if you actually show some strength, or backbone, (like the bloke in this story saying "I am a biochemist and would appreciate if you called me by my title."), then they get all pissy and whiny and play the victim.

Its a game you can't win with these type of people. Either give in, and forever be the spineless peon in their eyes, thus having to endure all that comes along with that. Or push back, and have to endure their pissbaby whining and tantrums about being disrespected etc.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

artsy fartsy posted:

Change Daniel’s name to Celebrimbor to assert dominance.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I’ve got cats named buckwheat and pot roast, which I think are pretty good names. Not really seeing the problem with naming your kid Frodo or wheat.

Children are basically just pets, right?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

unlike wheat over there my kids are gluten free

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Quackles posted:

Imagine five pieces of steak on the edge of a cliff...

Ok Leon, you're in a kitchen. There is a steak in a cast iron pan cooking. You can't see the person who was cooking it. You see the
steak is starting to burn but you don't turn it over. Why is that Leon ?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for my answer when my MIL insisted to know exaclty how my husband and I spent our honeymoon?

This is extremely funny. Woman, what did you think your son was going to be doing on his freaking honeymoon?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for not telling my cousin my fiance works at the same office as her husband?

quote:

Yep I agree, I actually told him first that he shouldn't have said that. Chris said it was a in-the-moment dig when Henry said something about being up for the next promotion (he's literally new so promotion is still a while to go), and all the crap they spewed about his salary and whatnot. I said I get it, he said it won't happen again, because this is still a workplace.

Sounds like Kat found her perfect match.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Olewithmilk posted:

Yeah it's in the Japanese tourist books to always leave a little bit of what you've ordered, otherwise it seems rude.

Also, absolutely don't tip in resteraunts apparently.

Yeah, tipping just isn't as much of a thing in Japanese culture in retail and restaurants. People are paid a regular wage, and tipping is for if they've gone above and beyond what should reasonably be expected of them. So you don't tip the waitress for bringing you your order and making sure your drinks are kept topped up; you tip her for something exceptional like she saved your kid from choking on his fries, or she found a replacement meal when nothing on the menu could fit your dietary needs.

They apparently can actually get very offended by being tipped for having just done their job!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My brother is upset that people aren't coming to his wedding. He spoke to me and I didn't know what to say.

quote:

Background: My brother is having a destination wedding that has snowballed in price. I said I would go but I didn't expect it to be quite so expensive. I had to take a loan from one of my parents who says it is okay if I don't pay them back but I feel I need to. My issue is that besides me and my dad no one else is showing up on his side. Our youngest sibling is at university and our mother had a health issue so they both pulled out. The wedding is taking place in a remote area that is expensive to get to and the hotel the wedding is taking place and that they are staying is so expensive none of us can afford it. So we are staying at another hotel that is farther away. We will see him for part of the wedding day and that is it. Which is fine by me but our father is sad.

Here is the problem: My brother is upset our sibling isn't coming. He spoke to me about this and I remained silent because I didn't know what to say amd part of me feels like he was being entitled expecting a student to pay 3,000 to go to his wedding and then being annoyed when they pulled out. Our father is feeling a financial strain at the moment too due to the cost of this. I just got sent a bill for the ride from the nearest city ro the wedding venue which is 300 euro.

My brother has made a few comments about the prestigious hotel and expensive food that will be hundreds a plate. And insinuated that I need to spend hundreds on an outfit and has expressed wishes that I had grown my hair out. I love him but I am struggling to support him and I am not sure what to say when he gets frustrated that people aren't excited for his wedding. Our father isn't the most independent and needs help when traveling. I was thinking of pulling out and when I told my brother that he got mad and told me that if I didn't go our father wouldn't and nobody would be there. But spending so much to look after someone on holiday doesn't fill me with joy.

tl:dr my brother is upset people aren't showing up to his wedding and I don't know what to say that won't cause him to get angry with me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Alchenar posted:

Hey a superchurch just wants a tithe in exchange for life everlasting, Disney will take all of your money for 30 minutes with a sweaty guy in a costume and there isn't even any sex

Sounds like you haven’t been to Disneyland or church.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tarkus posted:

You should always leave a little bit of steak on the plate, preferably chewed gristle, and never put sauce on it. The chef prepared it to be eaten as it was received. You wouldn't paint over the Mona Lisa would you?

Even though you’re being sarcastic go gently caress yourself.

Also well done. At a steak house.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The way I heard it is that supposedly it's good manners in Asian countries to leave some food on the plate, while in Western countries it's the opposite. Or if you clean your plate they'll assume you want seconds, leading to some hilarious misunderstandings.

In any case, 'manners' (Beyond like, chew with your mouth closed) are mostly whatever was made up by some fucker in the Victorian era to sell books to the credulous middle class while the upper class they think they're emulating did and continue to do whatever the gently caress they wanted. And they're usually ill-defined and contradictory enough that someone can use them as an excuse to poo poo on you any time they want and not have to explain why.

In regards to this:

Yeah in certain Asian places, it is rude to eat every last morsel on your plate. The implication being that your hosts are poor/or bad hosts and didn't give you enough food.

Just as in certain "Western" places it is rude to not eat all that you are given. The implication being that your hosts are bad cooks/poor hosts and gave you bad food/food you didn't like.

However in both of these scenarios, taking a bite and saying a simple "That was delicious. Thank you so much. I am full now." will overcome most of any perceived rudeness.

And as has been said, anyone who gets offended after that is just a "traditionalist" looking to trip people up on whichever arcane version of the rules of etiquette they have decided they want you to follow today. So can get hosed.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Mx. posted:

What’s hilarious about this one is that OP probably did the most polite thing in this situation which was to nod and smile instead of humiliating her cousin by mentioning their husbands’ relative statuses.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mx. posted:

My brother is upset that people aren't coming to his wedding. He spoke to me and I didn't know what to say.

Tell him he’s a loving rear end in a top hat who can either pay for everyone to stay closer or suck it up for having a wedding in the middle of nowhere.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mx. posted:

Sending said brother a bill for the cost of ride, hotel, food, outfit, etc— payable in advance— would not meaningfully help the situation... but it'd be very funny.

Sleepy Sheep
Jun 12, 2009
I've been browsing /r/QAnonCasualties, lately. It's usually fairly depressing, but I found these both amusing and heartwarming:

My dad quietly deprogrammed my mom

quote:

Sorry for my poor english, I am not from the USA and I do not regularly use reddit so this is also just an account I made for this one post, I hope that is okay.

I just found out very recently that my mother has been becoming a Q follower over the last couple of years and how my 65 year old dad has managed to quietly deprogram her on her own without anybody of us knowing. My mom has always believed in weird things like healing crystals but as far as I know she never went overboard with it. She was always a "If you have a fever a crystal will help but if it's worse go to the doctor immediately" kinda person. But she fell deep into a q hole around 2017/8. She never really talked about it with us outside of some "deep state" comments which don't really mean anything where I live so we just ignored it. "It's just a phase" came up very often. But it was way worse than we thought.

However my dad was not taking this. He, all by himself, figured out how to block websites, lock tv channels etc. This might not sound like much but my dad is the MOST dad when it comes to computers. He is the kind of dad who regularly calls me and asks how to create folders etc. He hates computers. But he spent months, literally actual months, figuring this all out by himself. He blocked Facebook and other weird Q sites (including reddit), blocked Youtube channels and replaced them with progressively less stupid ones (going from conspiracy theories to healing crystal channels and then to Opera and cooking channels etc.). He also did whatever he could to keep her from the computer, going on weekend trips and (before covid) even taking her to the Opera. My mom always wanted to go but my dad HATES it. I don't think words can describe how much he hates the Opera. Still does. And yet he took her there as often as he could afford it. And signed her up on Opera forums just so she would spend more time talking with these harmless people instead.
Again, I cannot stress enough how impressive it is that my dad accomplished this. My dad who once asked me if you need the internet to receive e-mails.

I bet you are now asking "Why didn't he asked you for help?". Thing is, I had no idea this was going on. I see my parents somewhat regularly but again, some weird comments aside my mom never really said anything about Q. And we don't talk about politics at all. I only found out about all of this happening by accident (I won't get into details here, it's long and not that interesting tbh)

So, why did my dad not say anything? When he told me everything he had done he said he didn't want us (my sisters and me) to think bad of my mother. I cannot even describe how I felt when he said that. I'm not sure a word for this feeling exists. It's somewhere between heartbroken because we left him alone doing all this but also warm because he cared so much but also frightened because it could have all gone wrong as well.
My mom is now pretty much back to normal and now that we know she is talking about her experiences a lot with us, even tho she is clearly ashamed of herself (obviously we constantly tell her how proud of her we are and that she doesn't need to be ashamed anymore). She has deleted her Facebook account and has completely cut out real life Q "friends" she met during her Q time from her life.

I wish you all the very best from the bottom of my heart, I truly hope you can save the ones you love or at least manage to move on with your own life.

My QAunt was saved... By BTS??

quote:

I have made two posts on this sub in the past about my liberal left-wing QAunt who descended down the rabbit hole of Qlore from cabals who eat kids to democrats/Hollywood celebs trafficking people to Epstein island. One day, it all just... stopped. She stopped sharing Q stuff, stopped believing in it, started talking about liberal stuff again like it never happened. I was baffled. Did she have dementia? A stroke?

Today I found out the answer. It was BTS.

She started getting into Kpop as soon as Dynamite was released and dear lord, now she knows their names, their mom's names, their favorite food, etc. From what she told me, they inspired her to be a better person. They would make donations to BLM, rally for accessible mental health for all, and promote self-love and compassion. She is now an ARMY and I guess... That's that?

I'm not a big BTS fan, but if you're reading this and are BTS or a member of ARMY, thank you. Wtf. Thanks so much(?) What a plot twist. I'm gonna go lie down now.

If you have any family or friends into Q, apparently the answer is to find them a new fandom?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sleepy Sheep posted:

I've been browsing /r/QAnonCasualties, lately. It's usually fairly depressing, but I found these both amusing and heartwarming:

My dad quietly deprogrammed my mom

My QAunt was saved... By BTS??

If you have any family or friends into Q, apparently the answer is to find them a new fandom?

“Individuals aren't naturally paid-up members of the human race, except biologically. They need to be bounced around by the Brownian motion of society, which is a mechanism by which human beings constantly remind one another that they are...well...human beings.”
--Terry Pratchett

The people we interact with shape how we see the world.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Quackles posted:

Sending said brother a bill for the cost of ride, hotel, food, outfit, etc— payable in advance— would not meaningfully help the situation... but it'd be very funny.

Holly Anderson tweeted a phrase that is now burned into my mind for situations like this:

"I recognize that this is not helpful, but please understand I am not trying to help."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

artsy fartsy posted:

OP is the AH for not naming the other son Sam.