Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
So which one caused the most limitations to any possible sequels or prequels--the rule of two or the prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Both are easily ignored

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

FlamingLiberal posted:

So far I would say Child Leia because no kid talks the way she does

"Are you an angel?"

Kid Leia is great. Jake Lloyd was fine enough for what was being asked of him (remember that Sam Jackson was terrible in that same movie, so maybe don't attack a kid for not being able to transcend the material?), and people attacking him online kinda drove him insane (I know this is downplaying what goes into mental illness, but assholes online screaming at him about how he ruined their childhood could not have helped).

Maybe we should stay away from comparisons like "which child actor do I hate the most" in this thread.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kid Leia is fine, but I keep forgetting LOLA exists because they keep refusing to make us give a poo poo about her.

It seems like a slam-dunk marketing ploy that was just given up on. It's like they just thought "oh cute sidekick robot that's supposed to elicit an emotional response when Flea smashes her and make the audience happy when Obi-Wan fixes her, people will buy that" and gave it no further development than that.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 7, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Kid Leia is great and I know kids who are exactly like that :colbert:

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Both are easily ignored

Both have been easily ignored.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Ironslave posted:

Both have been easily ignored.

Doesn’t the mere existence of Sith ThunderThighs & the Inquisitor nonsense alone violet the Rule of Two with the Sith?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MLSM posted:

Doesn’t the mere existence of Sith ThunderThighs & the Inquisitor nonsense alone violet the Rule of Two with the Sith?

They aren't true Sith.

"We have purposely trained them wrong, as a joke" - Darth Vader

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what's with the thunder thighs thing

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

She's got nice thighs and wears some sort of pants that accent them.

Inquisitors ain't sith. Sith is a whole religion thing, inquisitors are just force sensitive cops.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Jehde posted:

Inquisitors ain't sith.

They have lightsabers and force powers just like the Sith do.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

site posted:

what's with the thunder thighs thing

Another iteration about people getting weird online about the black lady in Star Wars. It's white noise.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

Another iteration about people getting weird online about the black lady in Star Wars. It's white noise.

Pretty weird how they made a black girl and an asian guy the villains in this show.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

MLSM posted:

They have lightsabers and force powers just like the Sith do.

Also a lot of them are former Jedi, who probably know a few things about their ancient enemy. And the Sith philosophy doesn't seem so hard to figure out, especially when they all answer directly to one of the Sith. "They aren't real Sith" is a fig leaf over the stewards of the franchise wanting/needing a set of Force-using antagonists for the sake of any video games or TV shows they want to put out with one of the now-multitudinous Jedi who escaped Order 66, and Starkiller already died in that other video game.

I love them for that, it's a simple solution that doesn't need to be thought about. I also hate them for it, because thinking about it makes it a bit frustrating.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

MLSM posted:

Pretty weird how they made a black girl and an asian guy the villains in this show.

How so?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

All the good guys are white.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

What's the over/under that we get an Ewan/Hayden Clone Wars flashback scene while Obi-Wan is recovering in the next episode?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MLSM posted:

All the good guys are white.

Jimmy Smits has a Surinamese mother, Indira Varma has an Indian father, and Kumail Nanjiani is from Pakistan.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also Darth Vader is one of the whitest dudes in the world and that's before all the makeup.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The "thunder thighs" thing is loving weird, by the way. It's not a term of endearment.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

revas performance is alright but she just feels really bland so far. they should've at least given her a funny accent like herzog or that southern officer that bill burr shoots

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

pik_d posted:

Jimmy Smits has a Surinamese mother,

That his father, his mother's from Puerto Rico.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Herzog is great voice because it doesn't take much to imagine how he'd sound saying ridiculous things like "taste the rainbow" and "Subway, eat fresh."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MLSM posted:

The gimp suit lady inquisitor and Vader are white. Actually now that he's voiced by an AI, Vader counts as about two hundred white guys

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

The "thunder thighs" thing is loving weird, by the way. It's not a term of endearment.

Sith Thighs Take Lives

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sash! posted:

Herzog is great voice because it doesn't take much to imagine how he'd sound saying ridiculous things like "taste the rainbow" and "Subway, eat fresh."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03ofzkptDg

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spermando posted:

So which one caused the most limitations to any possible sequels or prequels--the rule of two or the prophecy.

The prophecy, basically by default. Far from limiting anything the Rule of Two is actually a source of conflict that can drive stories.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah. She's 16 and is an Imperial Academy dropout, an ex-bounty hunter, and a former superweapon designer. One of those would have been fine, three feels excessive.

It feels like in any given episode when they needed someone to have a skillset or background and it didn't fit for any of the other characters they gave it to Sabine, meaning that she was fine in individual episodes and it was only when you step back that she starts to look ridiculous.

I feel like if they'd dropped the bounty hunter thing and she was just a gifted engineer/inventor that dropped out of the imperial academy for moral reasons it would make her a lot better. Shes awfully young to be a former anything, let alone something like that, I feel like they just threw it in because Mandalorian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mutata posted:

At least op’s not trying to hide their weirdness so it’s easy to dismiss their posts right away.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Larry’s gonna need a bacta soak in about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

jisforjosh posted:

They aren't true Sith.

"We have purposely trained them wrong, as a joke" - Darth Vader
They can always just say that the rule of two meant that there were always at least two, after all secret apprentices have been a long running theme. If Luke said yes to Vader there would have been three sith up until the point where they finally knocked off the emperor, so it never made sense as some sort of hard cap.

Ever since they showed up in Rebels the inquisitors seemed like an answer to the question "ok with the jedi gone what does the empire do with any force sensitive individuals who show up?" and thus we end up with Darth Ruffles (Grand Inquisitor), Darth Thunder Thighs (Ninth Sister), Darth Bill (Sixth Brother), Darth Mall Goth (Second Sister), and Darth Makes Racists Mad on the Internet (Third Sister).

Also in terms of visual language they do use red sabers which makes everyone automatically think sith for good reason, but I guess you're right, they're just Imperials who are intentionally adorned with vader-like trappings, such as chest panels, black armor, dark helmets, and red sabers, in order to spread fear and terror by trading on his fearsome reputation.

As for what happened to them by the time of ANH, well, between the Rebels crew, Darth Maul, and Vader himself killing underlings for failure, it looks like they just plum ran out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Valve Steam Deck posted:

They can always just say that the rule of two meant that there were always at least two, after all secret apprentices have been a long running theme. If Luke said yes to Vader there would have been three sith up until the point where they finally knocked off the emperor, so it never made sense as some sort of hard cap.

Ever since they showed up in Rebels the inquisitors seemed like an answer to the question "ok with the jedi gone what does the empire do with any force sensitive individuals who show up?" and thus we end up with Darth Ruffles (Grand Inquisitor), Darth Thunder Thighs (Ninth Sister), Darth Bill (Sixth Brother), Darth Mall Goth (Second Sister), and Darth Makes Racists Mad on the Internet (Third Sister).

Also in terms of visual language they do use red sabers which makes everyone automatically think sith for good reason, but I guess you're right, they're just Imperials who are intentionally adorned with vader-like trappings, such as chest panels, black armor, dark helmets, and red sabers, in order to spread fear and terror by trading on his fearsome reputation.

As for what happened to them by the time of ANH, well, between the Rebels crew, Darth Maul, and Vader himself killing underlings for failure, it looks like they just plum ran out.

At this point I'm waiting for Disney to fish Mara Jade out of the EU swamp and do basically nothing with her and have her never meet Luke Skywalker, like not even once.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also Moses Ingram should totally change her Instagram handle to Darth Makes Racists Mad on the Internet. That loving rules.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point I'm waiting for Disney to fish Mara Jade out of the EU swamp and do basically nothing with her and have her never meet Luke Skywalker, like not even once.
Mara Jade is who Disney fishes out of the EU swamp when they need to shockingly reveal that Luke had a son he didn't know about

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Mara Jade is who Disney fishes out of the EU swamp when they need to shockingly reveal that Luke had a son he didn't know about

I'd like to believe that it's canon to the Sequel timeline that Luke and Mara actually met and fell in love, but it didn't work out so part of the reason why Luke is in hiding on Ahch-To is because he's trying to live down the shame of being dumped by the hottest woman in the galaxy for being a weird cult leader nerd.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd like to believe that it's canon to the Sequel timeline that Luke and Mara actually met and fell in love, but it didn't work out so part of the reason why Luke is in hiding on Ahch-To is because he's trying to live down the shame of being dumped by the hottest woman in the galaxy for being a weird cult leader nerd.
Mara Jade reads his mind and finds out what he thought of this

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I still want Kyle Katarn back. :colbert:

You know what would be hilarious. If they somehow turn the inquisitors into hands and the third sister somehow becomes the new Mara Jade. Imagine the outrage.

Actually, where do the nth titles come from? What does for example third denote?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Funnily enough both my neighbor and a guy I know at the bar brought up this series tonight and they loved it. Of course being the terrible nerd I am I had to point out the amateur level editing mistakes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Funnily enough both my neighbor and a guy I know at the bar brought up this series tonight and they loved it. Of course being the terrible nerd I am I had to point out the amateur level editing mistakes.

I hope they got up and walked away from you and sat at another table. In a completely different bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they got up and walked away from you and sat at another table. In a completely different bar.

Joke's on them, there's only two good bars left around here and I go to them both.

Seriously though I was surprised they didn't notice that especially with episode 3. Time to watch 4 since it's up now I think!