Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nidhg00670000 posted:

18 mpg is pretty bad tho, even more so considering the relatively meager horsepower.

The Volvo is consuming about 25% less fuel per mile traveled, that's a fairly significant difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Getting an AAWireless adapter dongle for both of my cars is the best thing I ever did. I will never give up wireless Android Auto, it just simplified things so much.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

Getting an AAWireless adapter dongle for both of my cars is the best thing I ever did. I will never give up wireless Android Auto, it just simplified things so much.

Which one did you get? I saw that Motorola launched one, but it's been out of stock every time I tried to buy it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

18 mpg is pretty bad tho, even more so considering the relatively meager horsepower.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Volvo is consuming about 25% less fuel per mile traveled, that's a fairly significant difference.

Yes it is, but not good enough considering the price of the car itself. It's full stop better, faster, more efficient and (most importantly) safer. Since driving for me is just as much pleasure as anything else I find it interesting that even when presented with something objectively better I hesitate anyway. The other aspect of this is I know both the Hiluxes and Land Cruisers will run forever and ever, and I know if any issue ever comes up it is easy to fix. The Volvo if something goes wrong off to the dealer it goes, till it gets scrapped because something electrical died and it isn't worth whatever cost it will be to bring it back, let alone its high-stressed turbo cyl.

This is why I'd just assume hang up on internal combustion completely and go full EV. The Hyundai IONIQ 5 is insanely interesting to me and would be a serious contender for a new car if I were shopping today (and dealers didn't exist). I can enjoy a lot of things, throwing out most of the fluids to move around in a car shape is appealing in its own way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Which one did you get? I saw that Motorola launched one, but it's been out of stock every time I tried to buy it.

AAWireless is the actual name.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

Backed it in April of '21, got my first one in July of '21 and I had decided to back a second one in the meantime to shorten the lead time and I was glad I did as I only had to wait a month for the 2nd one.

It hiccups every once and awhile, but no worse than wired Android Auto would do and honestly it connects faster than wired Android Auto most of the time. The only REAL issue I've had is on my golf it will start to drop connectivity after about 90 minutes of continuous use. But really, if I'm driving long distances I would probably plug in my phone anyways to keep it topped off. Otherwise it's amazingly good for short drives or drives when you have multiple stops and you can just leave your phone in your pocket.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

on my next car I'd like a rear camera washer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

smooth jazz posted:

on my next car I'd like a rear camera washer.

I just put it in park, get my rear end out of the seat and wipe the lens with a finger, and it's good as new. It's a little annoying when it's raining / sleeting outside but I only get wet for a few seconds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I still need to put one of the mmi boxes that does CarPlay in my M3. I was going to do one of the upgraded oem head units but the price on those went to the moon and hasn’t come back down.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Inner Light posted:

I just put it in park, get my rear end out of the seat and wipe the lens with a finger, and it's good as new. It's a little annoying when it's raining / sleeting outside but I only get wet for a few seconds.

The first gen twins got headlight washers in certain markets and I kinda wish we got those in the USDM.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Yea I just got in the habit of licking my finger and wiping off the lens in the winter, when it would get caked over in snow/salt/general debris

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Badge hidden rear camera VW superiority. Never had to clean it off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I'm just constantly waiting for it to break

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm sure it's an unintended consequence, but in our Veloster when you sprayed the rear window with it would trickle down the camera and clear it from most of the accumulated dust/dirt/snow

A dedicated sprayer would be nice. Just T-d off from the rear window sprayer would work.

Bit wary of the VW solution, especially in a northern climate or anywhere that gets freezing rain. A good layer of ice and the plastic gears that actuate the tilt will likely strip before the ice gives way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'm sure it s only a matter of time before capillary action causes coolant to show up inside the camera lense.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bajaha posted:

Bit wary of the VW solution, especially in a northern climate or anywhere that gets freezing rain. A good layer of ice and the plastic gears that actuate the tilt will likely strip before the ice gives way.

I honestly haven't had an issue in the past few years.

Keep in mind that it's also the hatch mechanism so it's pretty easy to articulate by hand first in an ice over situation to free it up and you would end up doing it automatically if you were getting anything in and out of the hatch on that trip.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I loved the one on my mk7. Always clean and it had a great angle. Zero issues in winter either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I honestly haven't had an issue in the past few years.

Keep in mind that it's also the hatch mechanism so it's pretty easy to articulate by hand first in an ice over situation to free it up and you would end up doing it automatically if you were getting anything in and out of the hatch on that trip.

Agreed, it’s not a real issue. If your car is getting ice and snow accumulating on it, it’s your obligation to remove it before you go driving around. While you’re back there, it’s not hard to knock off the emblem.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Now that I own a Datsun pickup, power steering is on my list of bare necessities for a vehicle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fknlo posted:

I loved the one on my mk7. Always clean and it had a great angle. Zero issues in winter either.

Honestly, it seems like the sort of thing that would absolutely break very loving quickly on a VW, but: same! It's great!

What it could really use, though, is a close button on the hatch so you don't have to grab the road-grime-soaked outside of it to close it.

And, obviously, given the badge-hidden camera: VW is aware that things can get caked with poo poo and grime; I would like them to extend this logic to their parking sensors so that the parking system does not give me a loving heart attack literally every time I slow down to parking-lot speed during a snowstorm. Let me deactivate it for the entire time, not just until I speed up and then slow down again.

As for CarPlay, I don't know it would be an absolute dealbreaker for me, but a car without CarPlay would have to be extremely loving special in some other way to have me consider it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You are supposed to pull underhand on the handle on the inside of the hatch to close it. No touching the outside necessary.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Olympic Mathlete posted:

OK so fun thought experiment. What's the bare minimum you require in a car? At what point do you become used to having pointless options in a vehicle?

It runs.

And makes good noise.

And maybe moves when I put the hammer down

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

From a few pages back but that color is so nice and uncommon I'd definitely do a triple take if I saw it in traffic somewhere. Nice choice.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I want a Canyonero.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The perfect car was a 1993 5-speed Lexus ES300. A feat that has never been accomplished since. :colbert:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Mental Hospitality posted:

The perfect car was a 1993 5-speed Lexus ES300. A feat that has never been accomplished since. :colbert:

The very small number of five-speed 4.0L ZJ Grand Cherokees with the old-school transfer case (NP 242?) were pretty awesome too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Speaking of apple car play instruments, let’s have a look at the pure-sex opposite

https://twitter.com/hellocullen/status/1534674912920489984?s=21

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Speaking of apple car play instruments, let’s have a look at the pure-sex opposite

That's real nice.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LeeMajors posted:

Ironically that does indeed incorporate apple car play somehow. Look how good design can be!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks like they forgot to texture it

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KakerMix posted:

Ironically that does indeed incorporate apple car play somehow. Look how good design can be!

Looks like a painted/custom faceplate version of the Porsche Classic Communications single DIN unit.

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Looks like a painted/custom faceplate version of the Porsche Classic Communications single DIN unit.

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

While that looks cool I don't really see the point. Carplay is never going to work well on a screen the same size as the original iPhone.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I get why they kept the analog dials on that but the concept would work much better if there was more screen.

I looked far and wide for a single DIN CarPlay head unit for my Lotus. Ended up with one that incorporated a phone mount which was close enough.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

While that looks cool I don't really see the point. Carplay is never going to work well on a screen the same size as the original iPhone.

But it doesn't not work either, and you don't have to have your phone up in a mount somewhere. Most of your other operation while driving (vol, next track) can be done via the controls not the screen. Also helps with anti-phone use legislation.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would 100% take a smaller display with a volume knob than a big display without.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I feel pretty good I will never get another new car and hence never have that poo poo in my car

I feel the same except it’s because there are no cars not sale pending. Bring back the spring distributor cowards!!!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rd90l78nA

It's really expensive. It's huge. It's totally impractical.

But it looks really cool.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Zero One posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54rd90l78nA

It's really expensive. It's huge. It's totally impractical.

But it looks really cool.

Shipping 2025.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Russian Bear posted:

Shipping 2025.

At +50% markup, minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
More Ford Raptor news... Edmunds tested the F-150 Raptor vs the F-150 Hybrid in an off-road drag race and surprise... the Hybrid won every time.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/f150-hybrid-beats-raptor-in-drag-race.html

quote:

In the first race, the Raptor jumped out to an early lead, but it didn't take long for the hybrid-powered F-150 PowerBoost to catch up. It reached 60 mph in 6.1 seconds, better than the Raptor at 6.3 seconds. The gap widened down the stretch, and by the end, the F-150 Hybrid hit an impressive speed of 95.5 mph in a 14.3-second quarter mile. The Raptor did the deed in 14.7 seconds.

The second race was more of the same. This time the Hybrid was even quicker, rocketing to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds and finishing in 14.2 seconds. The Raptor couldn't find any extra time and posted identical numbers from its first race. Finally, in the rolling race, both trucks began from 30 mph and gunned it — once again, the Hybrid pulled away and finished in 13.3 seconds to the Raptor's 13.9 seconds.