Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The E-Rifter? There's probably even one with a third row.

Pretty expensive though for what it is, I'll admit. Again not saying that everyone has to get an EV, I'm not doing it myself either. But I would've thought that the sky high fuel prices and financing of the war somehow start a conversation about alternatives to sending money to Putin. Instead everyone seems to grit their teeth a bit and continue driving 160 on the highway.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charging situation here for apartment dwellers is rough as well. Newly built apartment complexes are increasingly offering an option to build out a dedicated wall charged at your parking slot, but that’s not affordable even to median income earners in the capital, in many cases. At least the road charger network seems to be decent enough, but we’re a conveniently sized country, for making that viable on schedule.

Back to the topic of apartments and EVs, the current situation with nice* apartments in Riga is so bad that I’m genuinely considering getting a house - but that would mean ‘burb car lifestyle, and I really don’t want to do that.

*A nice apartment to me is something with AC, dishwasher, oven, bidet, and wired LAN. For this market is sort of a “pick 2” affair until we get into like €300k+ apartments.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol the housing is so hosed, yeah. A 70m2, 1 bedroom apartment is like 500k nearby. Not including a garage or storage or actually anything on the inside. It's not downtown, or in a fancy skyscraper, or even a brand new building. A charger is the least of your concerns.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/neplp-aizliedz-latvija-raidit-visus-krievija-registretos-tv-kanalus.a460234/

Latvia has banned all Russian TV stations from June 9 until the control over Crimea has been returned to Ukraine.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/neplp-aizliedz-latvija-raidit-visus-krievija-registretos-tv-kanalus.a460234/

Latvia has banned all Russian TV stations from June 9 until the control over Crimea has been returned to Ukraine.

All TV stations registered in Russia, to be precise. TV Rain (До///дь) will broadcast from Latvia now. A great substitute.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

All TV stations registered in Russia, to be precise. TV Rain (До///дь) will broadcast from Latvia now. A great substitute.

:actually: TV Rain is a Latvian station now.

For real though, someone should import the русский/российский distinction into English.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For real though, someone should import the русский/российский distinction into English.

This is the ethnicity versus citizenship/nationality divide, correct (or vice versa, depending on which term is which)?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

русский/ruski is pejorative in Polish, is it like that elsewhere too?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

No, it’s not. “Polyak” is a normal literary word for us. :D

Doctor Teeth posted:

This is the ethnicity versus citizenship/nationality divide, correct (or vice versa, depending on which term is which)?

Correct. Российский is “related to Russian Federation” (Россия), whereas русский is “related to [ethnic] Russian people” (русские), which is why the language is русский язык, instead of российский язык.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Charging situation here for apartment dwellers is rough as well. Newly built apartment complexes are increasingly offering an option to build out a dedicated wall charged at your parking slot, but that’s not affordable even to median income earners in the capital, in many cases. At least the road charger network seems to be decent enough, but we’re a conveniently sized country, for making that viable on schedule.

Back to the topic of apartments and EVs, the current situation with nice* apartments in Riga is so bad that I’m genuinely considering getting a house - but that would mean ‘burb car lifestyle, and I really don’t want to do that.

*A nice apartment to me is something with AC, dishwasher, oven, bidet, and wired LAN. For this market is sort of a “pick 2” affair until we get into like €300k+ apartments.

I believe this is largely because the last few years have been really good* for the emerging middle class. Between that and the Altum program making downpayments more accessible, there has been a lot of demand in the mid range of the market and the prices have adjusted for that. +/- 220-240K is where the downpayments start becoming cumbersome.

I hate the idea of a car commute lifestyle too, so I'd probably still try to aim for a large flat within city limits and install the improvements myself or aim for a commuter town like Ikšķile or Sigulda, with a railway station within the town centre.

*topical joke from today's Twitter.

- Dad, is it true that we'll experience a crisis?
- No, son, it will be the rich who will experience a crisis, we will simply be hosed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

I believe this is largely because the last few years have been really good* for the emerging middle class. Between that and the Altum program making downpayments more accessible, there has been a lot of demand in the mid range of the market and the prices have adjusted for that. +/- 220-240K is where the downpayments start becoming cumbersome.

I hate the idea of a car commute lifestyle too, so I'd probably still try to aim for a large flat within city limits and install the improvements myself or aim for a commuter town like Ikšķile or Sigulda, with a railway station within the town centre.

*topical joke from today's Twitter.

- Dad, is it true that we'll experience a crisis?
- No, son, it will be the rich who will experience a crisis, we will simply be hosed.

Yeah, at this point I’m honestly window shopping just a fancy apartment in a new building, since not even Ikšķile is a commute I want to have (1.5-2 hours in the current traffic realities for a roundtrip to downtown, colleague lived there). I’m blessed with having a foreign job, so at least these flats are mostly affordable to me (unless we’re talking about like HOFT or Art Lux House).

The problem is that almost none of them have HVAC or apartment-level ACs. The one I know that has and is located in a decent spot is Merks Viesturdārzs, but they have that as an optional addon for penthouse apartments, so €300k+ before the 😷 +20% bump, and then I’d also have to figure it having cleaners and whatnot, because it would be one of those American style 90-200 sqm flats. Also if it’s above 250k it means I cannot use Altum, and I would very much like to use Altum to have that sweet 5% down payment.

It’s overkill. Brutally so for my individual life circumstances. Yet at the same time, buying something normal (3 room, 50 sqm apartment for <100k) on this specific requirement leaves me hosed too. Riga municipal law bans you from having AC on a facade wall. National laws on joint property management, with “visual profile of the building being an applicable jointly owned property by all residents of the building, require any modification to be approved by anyone else. In my current building, for example, a window unit would require >100 signatures. If I can’t reach or convince a single person, I’m hosed with no recourse. For that reason, local architects are basically refusing to waste their time with construction projects for air conditioners.

Ironically, this also applies to installing heat pumps. Like that dog meme “no this, only that”, but with moving away from gas and installing more efficient alternatives.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 6, 2022

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Huh, I never knew that. It makes sense now that you mention it.

Last 3 or 4 flats I've rented in Malta have had at least one AC unit (usually the biggest) mounted on the floor of the terrace/balcony and "internal" walls of recessed balconies. Now I wonder if that'd fly in Riga.

Tangentially related to real estate costs, the mood I'm seeing on Twitter, FB and a parenting forum I read from time to time suggests that at least a part of the population is expecting 1990s standard of living to make a comeback this winter. Professionals will be fine, of course, but the majority will struggle. I'm morbidly curious about what the election will bring too.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's not like they had the option of remaining a Russian station :D

im (sorta, i guess i shouldn't be after they first got kicked off the air in 2014ish) surprised they're still going. guess i should get around to watching https://www.fckthisjob.net/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There is literally 1, maybe 2 evs which can accommodate a 2+3 family, especially if you want to put proper kid car seats in the back.

Not to mention the cost vs a 10 year old Volvo v70

I suppose I should have heeded the child free memo a few years back.

They don't have Toyota Prius' there?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Huh, I never knew that. It makes sense now that you mention it.

Last 3 or 4 flats I've rented in Malta have had at least one AC unit (usually the biggest) mounted on the floor of the terrace/balcony and "internal" walls of recessed balconies. Now I wonder if that'd fly in Riga.

Tangentially related to real estate costs, the mood I'm seeing on Twitter, FB and a parenting forum I read from time to time suggests that at least a part of the population is expecting 1990s standard of living to make a comeback this winter. Professionals will be fine, of course, but the majority will struggle. I'm morbidly curious about what the election will bring too.

I don’t think the balcony variant works. I’ve seen some recessed balcony ACs, but they were in posh enough areas that certain hand washing tricks would’ve easily been pushed through.

Winter going to be rough if the government fucks up. There are some signs on the wall for that - did you know that Rēzekne has basically not had hot water since the heating season concluded, and will not have it until the next season begins? There’s a boom of boiler installations there now, and local fire department expects an uptick in fires, as the electrical grids of many older buildings are insufficiently robust for handling a boiler in every apartment.

As for the next election, comedy option - Saskaņa-Nacionālā Apvienība coalition against the single issue of civil union law. Maybe add in the subject of home births to diversify the political portfolio.

In more serious terms, my predictions at the moment would be a JKP-JV-AP-P coalition. I also optimistically expect the Gobzems-Stepaņenko axis of Trump/Farage-style verbal diarrhoea to eat poo poo. Though neither is an ironclad prediction, I see strong risks of mobilisation around 😷 policies, the Victory Monument, economy, and social services.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mokotow posted:

In Croatian/Serbian it just means Russian. And we don't differentiate between nation and country .

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oracle posted:

They don't have Toyota Prius' there?

too small - at least according to my wife

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t think the balcony variant works. I’ve seen some recessed balcony ACs, but they were in posh enough areas that certain hand washing tricks would’ve easily been pushed through.

What about the floor unit portable AC type? Something like this:

Had one of those in an old apartment where it wasn't practical to place a full window unit. Only thing that needs to go to the window is that exhaust tube and for something like a one bedroom apartment it does the job well enough.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Winter going to be rough if the government fucks up. There are some signs on the wall for that - did you know that Rēzekne has basically not had hot water since the heating season concluded, and will not have it until the next season begins? There’s a boom of boiler installations there now, and local fire department expects an uptick in fires, as the electrical grids of many older buildings are insufficiently robust for handling a boiler in every apartment.

As for the next election, comedy option - Saskaņa-Nacionālā Apvienība coalition against the single issue of civil union law. Maybe add in the subject of home births to diversify the political portfolio.

In more serious terms, my predictions at the moment would be a JKP-JV-AP-P coalition. I also optimistically expect the Gobzems-Stepaņenko axis of Trump/Farage-style verbal diarrhoea to eat poo poo. Though neither is an ironclad prediction, I see strong risks of mobilisation around 😷 policies, the Victory Monument, economy, and social services.

Saw one AC mounted in balcony on a recent walk, google street view shows the picture from 2021 of the unit. So it might be legal or that no one has noticed it and cared enough to report. Or maybe the tactical ladder is throwing off the government agents.

Yeah, the winter will be hosed up, I'm starting to watch my spending to prepare for the high heating bills. gently caress I want things to be normal again.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those portable things are pretty loud and inefficient. I'd rather get one of those Asian style in-window units.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What about the floor unit portable AC type? Something like this:

Had one of those in an old apartment where it wasn't practical to place a full window unit. Only thing that needs to go to the window is that exhaust tube and for something like a one bedroom apartment it does the job well enough.

I have one, and it’s garbage. My living room has a French balcony door, which it’s annoying to mount to, and it’s too loud to be kept in the living room in any case. In the bedroom it works well enough, but I then have to do clown-tier Rube Goldberg fan system to shuffle the cold air out bedroom.

Iceache posted:

Saw one AC mounted in balcony on a recent walk, google street view shows the picture from 2021 of the unit. So it might be legal or that no one has noticed it and cared enough to report. Or maybe the tactical ladder is throwing off the government agents.

Yeah, the winter will be hosed up, I'm starting to watch my spending to prepare for the high heating bills. gently caress I want things to be normal again.

My building manager “changed their IT system” in February and haven’t issued a single utility bill since then. :allears: I can only imagine what kind of accounting crimes they’re trying to do now, as no explanation other than tariffs jump tearing them a new one would make sense here.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 7, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also looking to get AC - I’m in a top-floor apartment, so the whole place cooks in the summer. I’d probably try to cool the bedroom only, it’s an open floor mostly and fairly big so I’d have to use crazy amounts of power and gear to cool it.

The self standing units are fairly popular but are super inefficient and ideally you’d use a special sleeve for the window (that photo above is an example of how not to do it). This guy here does a great analysis:

https://youtu.be/_-mBeYC2KGc

You can put a unit on your balcony, but it takes up space (where else will you hold your bicycles and an old cupboard with babcia’s słoiki), is dirty (dripping) an noisy. You could also hang it on the balcony ceiling, but it’ll be even more of an eyesore.

I’m surprised about things being that stringent about AC units in Latvia - I live in an area recently registered as heritage and there’s a few AC units hanging on the outside walls, though maybe they’ve been grandfathered in.

I’ll probably try to have it installed (some day) on the roof above my apartment - it’s not sloped and there’s already a gently caress-off huge cell tower there giving me cancer anyhow.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

AC was one of the first Covid WFH expenses I did. The only suitable room was upper floor one that has roof slope, so it gets unbearably hot in the summer and cold during the winter (monitor and PC help with heating). Surprisingly it didn't make my electricity bill jump despite using it for heating as well. I have split unit from some Chinese company that also have an app, so CCP has an ear in my WiFi, but at least I can cool down the room before going there. I'll probably end up using the AC to help heating this winter since I'm on CNG now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you considered not feeling hot and / or cold

My flat has south-east facing windows so it always was a bitch to stay in through the summer without AC, surprisingly getting good reflective blinds really helped and nowadays it's always cool and pleasant inside, though it probably helps I enjoy living enveloped in non-stop sullen darkness

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In all honesty, last summer was fine and this year is ok so far, too. 2 years ago and earlier though every summer was this constant 38-40C for two months straight madness, and because EE is built for winter, the building wouldn’t cool down at night.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Have you considered not feeling hot and / or cold

My flat has south-east facing windows so it always was a bitch to stay in through the summer without AC, surprisingly getting good reflective blinds really helped and nowadays it's always cool and pleasant inside, though it probably helps I enjoy living enveloped in non-stop sullen darkness

Last summer’s heatwave knocked me out for 3 weeks and I’m literally ready to pay anything to avoid losing even just another week of my life to that bullshit. It was like +40-45 in my apartment that maintains +24 with heating off in winter, and my only option to “cool down” was to open a window at night, to 33 degrees 100% humidity night air with insects. When I got the portable AC I have (expensive model rated for larger area than my flat, to be clear), I was able to knock down daytime temperature to “just” 28.

gently caress this poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wow reading all this chat about AC in EE is pretty wild. It's not like we live in swaps or some desert hellscape. If you can't get AC, good insulation and exterior blinds are basically the same thing. Just open the windows to cool during the night and shut everything tight during day and it'll stay perfectly nice the whole day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Wow reading all this chat about AC in EE is pretty wild. It's not like we live in swaps or some desert hellscape. If you can't get AC, good insulation and exterior blinds are basically the same thing. Just open the windows to cool during the night and shut everything tight during day and it'll stay perfectly nice the whole day.

See, I literally spent 2 weeks with night time temperature minimum not going below 31-33 degrees. For one off hot day this is not an issue, but heat waves are going to only get more hosed from now on.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Last floor in a building downtown, I can have all the blinds and insulation in the world but my apartment is an oven regardless. This can be a problem in the spring and autumn too, has more to do with the sun and less with the temperature/humidity.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

I guess I'll ask here since this isn't really related to the war itself:

What's up with the transliterations of Severodonetsk I've been seeing? As far as I can tell it's "Сєвєродоне́цьк" in both Ukrainian and Russian but I've seen it transliterated as Severodonetsk, Sieverodonetsk and I think even Sievierodonetsk.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Russian it would be pronounced Sivero- because stress is on the end. I presume the Sievero- transliteration is based on Ukrainian pronunciation but I don't know exactly.

Transliterations are not always very precise, just ask previous leader of Libya...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Doctor Teeth posted:

I guess I'll ask here since this isn't really related to the war itself:

What's up with the transliterations of Severodonetsk I've been seeing? As far as I can tell it's "Сєвєродоне́цьк" in both Ukrainian and Russian but I've seen it transliterated as Severodonetsk, Sieverodonetsk and I think even Sievierodonetsk.

Sievierodonetsk and Sieverodonetsk are Ukrainian transliterations (not sure why there are two), Severodonetsk is Russian.

for reasons i cannot fathom (complicated historical vowel shift and orthography stuff who knows), Ukrainian uses є (in "Сєвєр") to represent /jɛ/, whereas Russian uses е (in "Север") to represent /je/ (these are very similar vowels--basically the difference between Australian and American pronunciations of "bed"), whereas for the non-palatalized vowel, Ukrainian has е for /ɛ/ and Russian has э for /e/

it's approximately the "ye" from English "yes" in both the Ukrainian and Russian spellings, but the languages have different official latin transliteration standards. Russian transliteration does not use any indication that е is palatalized (it does for ю/yu and я/ya) and just uses "e" for both е and э--possibly because э is pretty uncommon. Ukrainian transliteration does, and uses "ie" for є and "e" for е. idk why they chose this. it seems like "ye" would be a much better choice since "ie" can be read as multiple syllables and Ukrainian doesn't even have ы (which Russian transliterates with a standalone "y").

there's some extra complication where Russian furthermore changes the vowel sound depending on the position relative to the stressed syllable, which Ukrainian does not, but Russian transliteration ignores this (Belarusian transliteration doesn't!) and uses the same latin letter regardless.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/aaroneglitis/status/1534481709936304128

As always, Latvia pulls through when it comes to topping a ratings chart for an embarrassing statistic. Before you ask, >90% of those murders stem out of domestic violence, and stuff like mafia business or high-profile assassinations amount to single digit murders per year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As always, Latvia pulls through when it comes to topping a ratings chart for an embarrassing statistic. Before you ask, >90% of those murders stem out of domestic violence, and stuff like mafia business or high-profile assassinations amount to single digit murders per year.

Oh wow, that's... pretty bad. And you don't even have guns as an excuse.

Also lol apparently Liechtenstein had exactly one murder in 2020 and none the year before.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 8, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh wow, that's... pretty bad. And you don't even have guns as an excuse.

Also lol apparently Liechtenstein had exactly one murder in 2020 and non the year before.

Continuing the trend of visualisations embarrassing of Latvia,

https://twitter.com/peedutuisk/status/1533905476223741953

I’m from the lowest number. :smith:

Edit:

https://twitter.com/zhilvislt/status/1534245746786050048

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What's happening in the Baltics in general

Can't be just poverty, can it?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

:thunk:

Portugal is EE confirmed once again

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

No idea about Baltics, but surprisingly high numbers for Finland are supposedly a mix of rampant alcoholism and culture of Sisu. Estonia, being Finland but cheap booze might be similar.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Mostly economic reasons I’m afraid. In Latvia specifically the way this typically goes is that a working class family would’ve been kind of scraping by normally, but the man is an alcoholic and/or has a gambling addiction, which puts family into financial hole, besides otherwise having to deal with a psychologically unstable guy. If I had to wager, this is the script for an absolute majority of domestic violence murders.

The root reasons for that go back further, to Soviet chauvinism, and statistically poor education for men (due to, again, perilous economic conditions). Though modern Latvian culture is hardly a good example of a non-violent society either, even if it’s much improved compared to, e.g., 10 years ago. Back then if someone was beating you up somewhere downtown, people would ignore it, whereas now chances are bystanders would pile up and beat the poo poo out of an obvious aggressor, if he doesn’t flee. :v:

On a legislative level, circling back to domestic violence, conservatives (right-wingers predominantly) are adamantly against ratifying the Istanbul Convention, or implementing equivalent means. Consequently, the corresponding legislative protections are archaic - Soviet inheritance with minor modifications that were necessary for performative compliance with the EU norms, and the police is too underfunded and understaffed to maintain adequate levels of enforcement even for that. There have also been complaints that they are not sufficiently trained in resolving domestic disputes.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

I've thought about this in the past and arrived at the conclusion that poverty, seasonal depression and culturally endemic neglect of mental health issues lead to self-medication with alcohol, which, in turn, makes it hard to function in an harsh, uncaring society that sees individual weakness and inadequacy as cause for failure.

It's a somewhat explored theme in media, especially lately. A couple of movies that catch that particular sense of rural bleakness really well are Mellow Mud and Kolka Cool.

Mental health care especially gets stigmatized still and even educated urban folks do see faith healers for issues that would be a better fit for mental health or medical professionals.

fake edit:
^^

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The root reasons for that go back further, to Soviet chauvinism, and statistically poor education for men (due to, again, perilous economic conditions). Though modern Latvian culture is hardly a good example of a non-violent society either, even if it’s much improved compared to, e.g., 10 years ago. Back then if someone was beating you up somewhere downtown, people would ignore it, whereas now chances are bystanders would pile up and beat the poo poo out of an obvious aggressor, if he doesn’t flee. :v:

I don't know about that. I remember from years at the dorms 20 years ago, that quite a few "alternative" looking students were rescued from harassment or muggings by bystanders. And that was a much more lawless time than 10 years ago. If anything, local boomers lament that modern men wouldn't lift a finger to defend others in need.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 8, 2022