Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

In spring training, he told reporters he had a plan to move Trout to LF, without telling Trout. He's been doing weird poo poo even for him all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Braksgirl posted:

Hi. Hello. It is me. My last job was an accounts receivable/receptionist job. I made $9 an hour (in 2009) and I worked there 8 years. I've never worked a job that paid $10 an hour in my life. So yeah, when we had a second baby, it just kind of made sense for me to quit and stay home because SB was making twice what I was.

I've been applying for state civil service jobs and yesterday I had to take a bullshit aptitude test. There was quite a bit of math and word problems and all I could think of was that bit in Romy & Michele. Who wants to go with a guy who drives a rowboat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmczmyjl8U

Look if there's USPS jobs in your area, they're loving desperate for even part timers and if you're upfront about what time off you need in September they'll probably work around your schedule. And base pay is depending on position is like $18.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Look if there's USPS jobs in your area, they're loving desperate for even part timers and if you're upfront about what time off you need in September they'll probably work around your schedule. And base pay is depending on position is like $18.

That reminds me. My (trans) sister has been having trouble figuring out how to even apply for a USPS job. Seems like how they advertise is super weird? She lives in Tracy, CA and is desperate for work. It sucks real bad trying to get a job as a transitioning person and USPS might be a lifeline.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

That reminds me. My (trans) sister has been having trouble figuring out how to even apply for a USPS job. Seems like how they advertise is super weird? She lives in Tracy, CA and is desperate for work. It sucks real bad trying to get a job as a transitioning person and USPS might be a lifeline.

Huh weird. I've gotten a few mailers from the USPS desperate to hire in the area that just link to https://about.usps.com/careers/ that links to city career or rural carrier associate positions I presume

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Bird in a Blender posted:

This sucks. Didn't you just change jobs like a year ago?

Indeed, nearly a year and a half ago. After two jobs and 10 years of working insane hours with no vacations I went in-house at a client as a former manager of mine who I liked quite a bit recruited me in, promising a much more sane work-life balance, plus the ability to become part owner of the company after a couple years. I didn't take a whole lot of time off when I switched because...what's there to do peak-COVID. Things had been largely fine through the New Year, despite a month-and-a-half of a ton of OT and really not taking time off. Now I've been on a stretch of over two months working with one day off - including weekends - largely on account of having to take over for the second longest tenured person here retiring and being expected to maintain her workload, included items that I do not know (that unfortunately my manager also does not know), as well as train someone to work with me. Other teams are drastically outpacing our hiring so everyone is turbofucked it seems, but me and one attorney in particular.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Huh weird. I've gotten a few mailers from the USPS desperate to hire in the area that just link to https://about.usps.com/careers/ that links to city career or rural carrier associate positions I presume

I'll forward that. She's uh... let's say she gets tunnel vision on things and I wouldn't be surprised if she's been glued to Indeed and only seeing contractor listings there or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Leperflesh posted:

This is how I got my job

https://about.usps.com/careers/how-to-apply/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'll forward that. She's uh... let's say she gets tunnel vision on things and I wouldn't be surprised if she's been glued to Indeed and only seeing contractor listings there or something.

Oh yeah, you have to apply through the usps.com website. Also it takes like a month and a half between applying and actually getting told you have a job, but assuming she doesn't have any felonies or open warrants she will almost certainly get one.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 7, 2022

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Skwirl posted:

I looked. There aren’t any job openings in my area.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Kalli posted:

Lol I forgot to post the picture the other week, but I also got a USPS mailer, except they forgot to update all of the placeholders so it just said

USPS is hiring!
Openings available for [position] in:
-[location]
-[location]
-[location]

Then I got a corrected one two days later :v:

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hope someone got fired for that blunder

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

T-Square posted:

Hey Blindsite, how did your leftover birria sandos turn out?

Mine are incredible, although the brioche isn’t very stable even when toasted:

Really loving good. I almost enjoyed them more than the tacos because I didn't have to gently caress around trying to make sure I had enough filling without too much and make sure the tortilla didn't tear and manage the heat of the stove too.

Just a massively easier way through.

I went with a pretty sturdy baguette for my sandwich.

Topped it with avocado, tomato, and white onion. Just had to give the meat a good beat in a pan with the cheese and get everything all melted together.

I think next time I might just make the sandwiches.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

No, I honestly think that's an old wives' tale except not that old.
I waited tables in high school and the summer after Freshman year of college, I got those pamphlets. Of course, I live in the Bible Belt, elsewhere it may be less common.

quote:

I just knew if it was a table of ladies in fancy hats on a Sunday it was a really good opportunity to give the person working counter a table. (there were only 7 seats at the counter, no one wants to sit next to anyone and they were in charge of to-go orders, which people also don't tip on because they are assholes, so whoever was working counter was desperate for a server to say "hey I'm swamped, can you take table X")
That’s cool if you and the other servers to take care of fellow servers like that. We had FoH take care of carry out orders. Again, this was 20 years ago and different restaurants probably have their own policy.

I didn’t know about tipping the carry out staff until a few years ago, now I tip 20% when I get carry out. It’s nice when the mini POS system has a button to push to do the math for me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Game night tonight at the normal time, 7:30 CDT

https://discord.gg/hsksbWHE

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
So Jason Kirk wrote about his experience being fake stormed by gun toting adults at youth group and...wtf

https://jasonkirk.substack.com/p/they-pulled-guns-on-us-at-kid-church

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, you have to apply through the usps.com website. Also it takes like a month and a half between applying and actually getting told you have a job, but assuming she doesn't have any felonies or open warrants she will almost certainly get one.

Chatted with her and she said she can't do any mail carrier routes because of sensitivity to heat, the little trucks aren't air conned and it's a hundred degrees all summer out there and it's apparently a thing with folks with autism. But she put in applications for jobs at the stations, I guess. Thanks!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rectal Placenta posted:

So Jason Kirk wrote about his experience being fake stormed by gun toting adults at youth group and...wtf

https://jasonkirk.substack.com/p/they-pulled-guns-on-us-at-kid-church

I'm pretty sure I've heard him tell that story before. It's weird, but at the same time when you're a late 90s-00s evangelical teen those are the kind of things you daydream about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Hope someone got fired for that blunder

Pretty sure you have to commit a felony to get fired from USPS.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

And yet, the Royals continue to change nothing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

And yet, the Royals continue to change nothing.

Not much point in making a manager change in the seasons where you’re not really trying to win.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Chatted with her and she said she can't do any mail carrier routes because of sensitivity to heat, the little trucks aren't air conned and it's a hundred degrees all summer out there and it's apparently a thing with folks with autism. But she put in applications for jobs at the stations, I guess. Thanks!

There's a bazillion jobs in USPS that don't involve physically bringing mail to someone's house. I'm currently a TME and my job is sitting on the dock scanning trucks carrying mail from one processing center to another in and out. Clerk or Mail Handler would probably be what she wants. Mail Handler is more physical, but either one she'd be inside the entire time. I'm a clerk, because of contracts I'm not actually allowed to help offload or onload the mail on these trucks, that's the mail handler's job.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

Not much point in making a manager change in the seasons where you’re not really trying to win.

They need to fire Matheny, Moore, and his lapdog.

Royals were fun to watch for two years and now they’re back to being the loving royals.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Crimes of the Future is gonna own.

Spoilered because if you're squeamish probably don't wanna read.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1534324154421346304

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
FYI, spoiler tags don’t work on that tweet if it’s embedded, still loading and displaying in the app

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Hot Diggity! posted:

Crimes of the Future is gonna own.

Spoilered because if you're squeamish probably don't wanna read.

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1534324154421346304

I mean; is this really anything we haven’t seen before?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

This is what we're told the Royals look like when they're trying to win.

They could be tooling around with Bobby Witt's MLB service time or for god's sake letting Salvador Perez rest now and then or several other dumb things if they wanted to go full Orioles or whoever. This is just what they are.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

fartknocker posted:

FYI, spoiler tags don’t work on that tweet if it’s embedded, still loading and displaying in the app

Huh, it does on Awful app on Android.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

General Dog posted:

I don't want to work, but it's basically all I do or think about. Every day I feel a bit more of myself that isn't work slipping away.

gently caress, i felt this one in my bones

Pron on VHS posted:

My job is hard as hell, I have to maintain a gigantic regression model that tries to predict when people will stop paying their mortgage. I can barely do basic algebra, and have no clue how I ended up here. I am searching up Investopedia every drat day at my job, one day they will all figure out how little I know about finance or math heh

lmao this rules

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

we must all make a solemn goon pact that we will strive for a less than 40 hour work week.

I want less work so bad. Need to find my significant other so that we can split rent.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

we must all make a solemn goon pact that we will strive for a less than 40 hour work week.

I want less work so bad. Need to find my significant other so that we can split rent.

:hmmyes: to all of this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gas is $4.50/gallon and I don’t even have time to enjoy it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Don't worry, I spent at least 20 minutes on the shitter at work per day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

General Dog posted:

Gas is $4.50/gallon and I don’t even have time to enjoy it

Add a dollar up here. Actually add $1.25.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

10-13 more years until retirement and I'm gone baby

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Since we're talking about jobs I just had a phone interview that I was certain was a data-mining operation but turns out it's for a Director level job walking distance from me that pays twice what I'm currently making. Traffic time would go from an hour to five minutes.

Wish me luck on my second interview, I managed to nail that first one shooting from the hip.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kiimo posted:

Since we're talking about jobs I just had a phone interview that I was certain was a data-mining operation but turns out it's for a Director level job walking distance from me that pays twice what I'm currently making. Traffic time would go from an hour to five minutes.

Wish me luck on my second interview, I managed to nail that first one shooting from the hip.

Hell yes, walking to work is a beautiful experience

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

kiimo posted:

Jealous. Break a leg.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

10-13 more years until retirement and I'm gone baby

What are you, George?

BlindSite posted:

I think next time I might just make the sandwiches.

Maybe it was just because the tasty brioche sopped up all of the birria liquid when dunked in it, but yeah the tacos were a solid 8/10 but the sandwich I would pay $13 at a restaurant for

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

Hell yes, walking to work is a beautiful experience

I mean it's still Los Angeles so uh I'm not actually gonna walk. Also it's at Universal which if you've ever been here it's up a rather large hill.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jealous. Break a leg.

Thank you I will try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

kiimo posted:

Good luck brother!