Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Ancient Copper Dragon is $54, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Turns out cards that make Lotus Petals are pretty fuckin great

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

Turns out cards that make Lotus Petals are pretty fuckin great popular

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Meanwhile Displacer Kitten is sitting at just under $6.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Yeah, there's no way the dragon is good enough to justify that cost. It's just a big splashy card, much like doubling season. DS shouldn't be $85 but it is.

I poopoo it while putting it in a deck but whatever.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Kitten + Spell seeker in a blue/black deck is fun. Dark ritual, cabal ritual, etc up to demonic tutor for whatever you want to cast.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The sheer novelty of the possibility of getting 20 treasures appeals to the gambler in every bad EDH player

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Looking through my small card collection for bad commanders to make decks no one else would make. I've got Heidar Rhimewind Master and Rayne Academy Chancellor and a couple others.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Can't believe no one goes for a good ol fashioned Baron Sengir :smith:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

MonsieurChoc posted:

Looking through my small card collection for bad commanders to make decks no one else would make. I've got Heidar Rhimewind Master and Rayne Academy Chancellor and a couple others.

This guy's got a whole series of this kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auU4QXO3Yno

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jiro posted:

Can't believe no one goes for a good ol fashioned Baron Sengir :smith:

Soraya the Falconer bird tribal

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

That one dude that puts feather counters on poo poo. I don't even remember what the feather counters did.

E:

I was merging Aven Mimeomancer and Kangee in my head.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

That one dude that puts feather counters on poo poo. I don't even remember what the feather counters did.

E:

I was merging Aven Mimeomancer and Kangee in my head.

There's an enchantment that uses feather counters too

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TotalHell posted:

Bought a Baldur’s Gate prerelease kit to open, and what I have learned is this: I really like the foil versions of the rulebook art common Diamonds.

I don't like a lot of the new bullshit frames and treatments, but these ones are pretty sweet.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ancient Copper Dragon is $54, lmao

I snagged one on ebay this weekend for $40 once I saw the chatter on reddit about how non-legendary rares, and mythics in general, have low pull rates in CMB (because of the guaranteed legendary slot in boosters coupled with a tiny pool of mythic legendaries).

In my brain it doesn't feel like it should be worth more than $10, but in my heart (a) I must have it, and (b) IMO little else in the set is poised to be valuable and contribute to pack/box EV.

Watching TCGPlayer prices on release weekend will be fascinating as more supply hits the market.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Prices also just don’t make any sense anymore. There is no reason for a mythic from a supplemental draft set with 4 different printings to cost that much, same reasons there is no reason Ledger Shredder should cost that much. Literally everything we’ve taken as stock in MtG finance has completely face planted in the last 6 months

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I would say the prices would drop over time since the set isn't actually even out yet-- so once people start cracking boxes things will level out a bit...

But who even knows anymore.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Bust Rodd posted:

Prices also just don’t make any sense anymore. There is no reason for a mythic from a supplemental draft set with 4 different printings to cost that much, same reasons there is no reason Ledger Shredder should cost that much. Literally everything we’ve taken as stock in MtG finance has completely face planted in the last 6 months

The "4 printings" don't do much for supply on their own, WotC routinely clarifies that variants don't increase the odds of a card appearing.

Reading their collecting article, watching a bunch of unboxings, and doing some math, my estimate is you'll get roughly 1 of each mythic dragon from CMB per case of draft/set boosters. That's legitimately pretty scarce!

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I grabbed the WB deck at my local bar for $50CAD. I usually like to keep them together to play with the family for a bit but I think it's coming apart immediately to put things in my Liesa Tax/Hatebears deck I'm really digging lately.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Framboise posted:

I would say the prices would drop over time since the set isn't actually even out yet-- so once people start cracking boxes things will level out a bit...

But who even knows anymore.

Well yeah, never buy money cards for the first month after release. All the Capenna crime lords were going for $10+ during prerelease and a short while after.

Openings at the beginning were focused on Set boxes but people are starting to realize those are garbage and shifting to Draft boxes for much better results. Some people are pulling twice as many mythics from drafts than they were from sets, plus the draft boxes have 2-3 extended cards compared to sets 0-1.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Heath posted:

This guy's got a whole series of this kind of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auU4QXO3Yno

Oh nice!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I had a Kangee tribal bird EDH deck back in like 2011. It sucked.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I had a Kangee tribal bird EDH deck back in like 2011. It sucked.

Yeah, but think about how many good birds have been printed since then! Off the top of my head:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had a Derevi bird tribal that was alright, but most of that was Derevi being really good

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

I had a Derevi bird tribal that was alright, but most of that was Derevi being really good

Derevi made Sheldon big mad 'cause he could dodge the Commander tax, lol

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Sega 32X posted:

I grabbed the WB deck at my local bar for $50CAD. I usually like to keep them together to play with the family for a bit but I think it's coming apart immediately to put things in my Liesa Tax/Hatebears deck I'm really digging lately.

Do you have a list for Liesa? My girlfriend built a deck like that and loves it so much, would like to give her more suggestions to make it more powerful

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Soulgorger Orgg and Worldgoger Dragon need you to either steal them back before they leave the battlefield (Homeward Path) or for you to kill them with their ETB trigger on the stack to really bone someone.

I took a peek at these two cards and was wondering if you could elaborate on the bolded part. Would that just be like, an immediate response to GIVING them one of these creatures? So tap BB, give them the creature, that resolves so the ETB goes on the stack, and THEN you kill/exile the creature?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I took a peek at these two cards and was wondering if you could elaborate on the bolded part. Would that just be like, an immediate response to GIVING them one of these creatures? So tap BB, give them the creature, that resolves so the ETB goes on the stack, and THEN you kill/exile the creature?

Their triggers are worded in the old style. Compare Oblivion Ring to Banishing Light, for example.

In Oblivion Ring's case, the enters the battlefield and leaves the battlefield triggers are two separate sentences. If you were to remove the Oblivion Ring from play while the enters the battlefield trigger was on the stack, you would immediately put the leaves the battlefield trigger on the stack as well. You'd then resolve them in first in, last out order.

1) Attempt to return to play whatever was exiled by Oblivion Ring (which is nothing, since the etb hasn't resolved).

2) Resolve the etb and exile something (permanently).

In the same manner, if you kill the Worldgorger Dragon with the exile trigger on the stack, you immediately attempt to return all exiled permanents, of which there are none, and then you proceed to exile everything. Soulgorger would work similarly. By killing it with the etb trigger on the stack, you first attempt to gain the health back, which is none since the etb hasn't resolved, and then you reduce their health to 1*.

Newer cards are no longer templated this way so you can't do that anymore.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 8, 2022

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

So for Worldgorger Dragon:

1. You give another player Worldgorger Dragon.
2. The ETB trigger goes on the stack (which is to remove all other permanents they control).
3. While the ETB is on the stack - but hasn't resolved you remove the Dragon.
4. After the dragon has been removed, the leave the battlefield trigger goes on the stack. Nothing happens with this trigger because no cards have been exiled with it.
5. The ETB resolves. Exile it all.

Soulgorger Orgg is different because you want the ETB to resolve before you lightning bolt their face. You do want to make sure they can't resolve the leave the battlefield trigger with your lightning bolt on the stack, so for instance you could wait to lightning bolt when the leave the battlefield is on the stack, or you could do it right away if you don't think they can remove it at instant speed.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fritzler posted:

So for Worldgorger Dragon:

1. You give another player Worldgorger Dragon.
2. The ETB trigger goes on the stack (which is to remove all other permanents they control).
3. While the ETB is on the stack - but hasn't resolved you remove the Dragon.
4. After the dragon has been removed, the leave the battlefield trigger goes on the stack. Nothing happens with this trigger because no cards have been exiled with it.
5. The ETB resolves. Exile it all.

Soulgorger Orgg is different because you want the ETB to resolve before you lightning bolt their face. You do want to make sure they can't resolve the leave the battlefield trigger with your lightning bolt on the stack, so for instance you could wait to lightning bolt when the leave the battlefield is on the stack, or you could do it right away if you don't think they can remove it at instant speed.

See for Soulgorger I thought it'd be fine to just leave 'em sweating at 1 health, lol.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

See for Soulgorger I thought it'd be fine to just leave 'em sweating at 1 health, lol.
I guess that is true! I was thinking of removing them with lightning bolt, but that works too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cool, thanks for the clarifications!

Fritzler posted:

You do want to make sure they can't resolve the leave the battlefield trigger with your lightning bolt on the stack, so for instance you could wait to lightning bolt when the leave the battlefield is on the stack, or you could do it right away if you don't think they can remove it at instant speed.

I definitely want to do this, because that would be an amazing 'make them sweat' moment while the bolt is still on the stack lol

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah it immediately makes them an easy target for the other players so it's almost win-win :bubblewoop:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Amazon already reducing the price of Baldur's gate collector boxes and the product hasn't even come out yet. There must not be many pre-orders. I canceled mine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
After Streets of New Capenna’ card quality buying sealed product has never been a shittier proposition

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Played a great game where I just steamrolled with Jetmir, then was maybe one turn away(always) from setting up my combo with Starke before a nonland boardwipe occurred :negative:

Trying to contemplate what could help me avoid that in mono-red, any suggestions? I have Tibalt's Trickery in the deck but not much else to prevent that sort of thing. Also could probably use more card draw, cause after that I was top-decking :cry:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Lapse of Certainty. Nobody expects it, and it buys you a turn. Otherwise stuff like Teferi's Protection and Heroic Intervention.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Johnny Truant posted:

Played a great game where I just steamrolled with Jetmir, then was maybe one turn away(always) from setting up my combo with Starke before a nonland boardwipe occurred :negative:

Trying to contemplate what could help me avoid that in mono-red, any suggestions? I have Tibalt's Trickery in the deck but not much else to prevent that sort of thing. Also could probably use more card draw, cause after that I was top-decking :cry:

Why are you limited to mono-red if Jetmir is your commander? Boros Charm, Heroic Intervention, Grand Crescendo all will protect you creatures from destruction based board wipes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Why are you limited to mono-red if Jetmir is your commander? Boros Charm, Heroic Intervention, Grand Crescendo all will protect you creatures from destruction based board wipes.

Oh ack, that was terrible phrasing. Jetmir was the first game and I stomped everybody. Second game was Starke as my commander, so I'm mono red. Sorry for the confusion!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
In that case, your main option is... go faster. Mono red doesn't really have a lot of ways to respond to effects like that.

There are some really janky options like Cauldron of Souls to give all your creatures persist to come back from a wipe (assuming they have more than 1 toughness) but that's super narrow, expensive, and not going to help you progress your game plan most of the time.

What exactly is your Starke combo? Infinite mana + Umbral Mantle or something along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aranan posted:

In that case, your main option is... go faster. Mono red doesn't really have a lot of ways to respond to effects like that.

lol, fair! I was hoping maybe some kinda artifacts or something could maybe help out. I don't mind the creature boardwipe tbh, but when it destroyed some of my artifacts that basically ruined my game. I forget what card it was but it was "opponent sacrifices blahblah" instead of destroy, so something like Darksteel Forge wouldn't've even saved me :smith:

Aranan posted:

What exactly is your Starke combo? Infinite mana + Umbral Mantle or something along those lines?

I don't have an actual combo with Starke per se, although I should snag myself an Umbral Mantle, that'd be a great addition! The deck is based on Prof's Mon Red Control video, mainly because I've had Starke for 20+ years and thought he was a dumb card until I watched that video. It isn't really a fast mono-red deck, which is probably its biggest flaw. There's a few ways to go infinite with Hematite Talisman or Kiki-Jiki... need I go on? :clint:

Edit: And rewatching the video makes me realize I forgot a bit of card draw recommendations :toot:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 9, 2022