Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

IUG posted:

1Blocker has been worth the subscription for me. That it also works (and copies the rules) between iOS and MacOS is also great.

That’s what I use too, it’s for macOS and iOS

I have a pihole at home too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Anton Chigurh posted:

uBlock Origin is the cat's rear end, I use it in Edge for specific (non-seedy) sites, but it's not available for Safari due to Apple's restrictions about what browser extensions are allowed to do.

I use AdGuard in Safari but I'm not completely happy with it.

You can install ublock manually

e: nm, apparently it's completely broke now.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 5, 2022

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MacOS Ventura drops support for anything older than 2017 models. 2015 MBP and trash can Pro not seeing any updates.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

FCKGW posted:

MacOS Ventura drops support for anything older than 2017 models. 2015 MBP and trash can Pro not seeing any updates.

Hopefully OCLP will come to the party. 🤷‍♂️ I'll be more than happy to stay on Monterey regardless.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FCKGW posted:

And the legendarily bad 2016 rMBPs with the T1 chip and poo poo keyboard

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

And the legendarily bad 2016 rMBPs with the T1 chip and poo poo keyboard

Finally whoever the cnt was that stole my utterly attrocious late 2016 MBP gets whats coming to him (No updates and the keyboard still sucks. Oh well, in my imagination he's suffering, that laptop was awful. Truth be told the thing was probably scrapped for parts since it never popped up on find my mac. Cops reckoned with the new macs they just parts bin them since the find my mac snitching is not worth the danger to them.).

Anyway.

I had a *weird* experience with an update today. The machine (M1 max most recent iteration mbp) just went black all of a sudden with no warning and launched into the full black scrreen apple and mystery progress bar, resetting 4-5 times over about half an hour. I'm worring the SSD has fritzed or something but it turned out it was doing a full blown OS upgrade. When it came back it was now fully upgraded by the right hand thunderbolt port didnt work and it wasnt recognizing its own power port. Reset a couple of times, no joy. Turned it off and went outside and smashed a bong and fumed. Came back, turned it off, it went into recovery(?) menu, asked for password, reset AGAIN and then came back fully working. Will keep an eye on it but..... so far so good? I'm guessing whatever passes for an SMC on an M1 mac just needed to be reset or something.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

duck monster posted:

Finally whoever the cnt was that stole my utterly attrocious late 2016 MBP gets whats coming to him (No updates and the keyboard still sucks. Oh well, in my imagination he's suffering, that laptop was awful. Truth be told the thing was probably scrapped for parts since it never popped up on find my mac. Cops reckoned with the new macs they just parts bin them since the find my mac snitching is not worth the danger to them.).

Anyway.

I had a *weird* experience with an update today. The machine (M1 max most recent iteration mbp) just went black all of a sudden with no warning and launched into the full black scrreen apple and mystery progress bar, resetting 4-5 times over about half an hour. I'm worring the SSD has fritzed or something but it turned out it was doing a full blown OS upgrade. When it came back it was now fully upgraded by the right hand thunderbolt port didnt work and it wasnt recognizing its own power port. Reset a couple of times, no joy. Turned it off and went outside and smashed a bong and fumed. Came back, turned it off, it went into recovery(?) menu, asked for password, reset AGAIN and then came back fully working. Will keep an eye on it but..... so far so good? I'm guessing whatever passes for an SMC on an M1 mac just needed to be reset or something.

There’s no SMC in the M1 Macs, but it’s possible there was either a firmware upgrade being applied behind the scenes or a new driver was misbehaving at first boot. It seems rude that an OS upgrade was auto-applied without requesting permission. That’s the thing I’d hunt down to make sure it didn’t happen again.

Sorry about your crappy laptop. At least you’re free of it.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hasturtium posted:

There’s no SMC in the M1 Macs, but it’s possible there was either a firmware upgrade being applied behind the scenes or a new driver was misbehaving at first boot. It seems rude that an OS upgrade was auto-applied without requesting permission. That’s the thing I’d hunt down to make sure it didn’t happen again.

Sorry about your crappy laptop. At least you’re free of it.

Yeah I still owe a bit of money on it. I was almost happy to see it go, less happy that my home insurance at the time was lapsed because I was between jobs.

I think I know why the thing just autorebooted into upgrade. I was installing some software libraries (geos GIS stuff) and it had asked me for permission to update xcode. I'm thinking the install script must have jugiven it permission to reboot for an OS upgrade. It was the last thing running and sometimes xcode upgrades require OS upgrades.

Either that or something much stupider.

B. Beebea
May 7, 2007
a tuxedo cat
I just got a mac mini, and it’s my first macOS computer.
Do I need a big antivirus/malware program, or is it enough to run malwarebytes sometimes?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

B. Beebea posted:

I just got a mac mini, and it’s my first macOS computer.
Do I need a big antivirus/malware program, or is it enough to run malwarebytes sometimes?

Others will have opinions, mine is that any of the main av offerings create more problems than they solve on MacOS. Be smart, check occasionally, embrace keychain imo.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Install an ad-blocker and be smart™

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
MacOS Ventura will allow Linux VMs to use Rosetta to run X86 apps:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/macos-ventura-will-extend-rosetta-support-to-linux-virtual-machines/

This seems like it would be a pretty big deal for a lot of folk.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

MacOS Ventura will allow Linux VMs to use Rosetta to run X86 apps:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/06/macos-ventura-will-extend-rosetta-support-to-linux-virtual-machines/

This seems like it would be a pretty big deal for a lot of folk.

Hopefully it'll fix the ugly situation I have with Docker. Docker supposedly supports ARM, but jesus christ is it a mess.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait is Resident Evil 8 gonna be a native AS game or still emulated but with ‘with optimizations’?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait is Resident Evil 8 gonna be a native AS game or still emulated but with ‘with optimizations’?

RE 7 and 8 are unreal based, it's just a compile toggle to get native AS(i don't know it's going to rely on metal or some metal-vulkan translation layer for graphics).

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

RE 7 and 8 are unreal based, it's just a compile toggle to get native AS(i don't know it's going to rely on metal or some metal-vulkan translation layer for graphics).

I thought Capcom makes their own engine (called "RE Engine")?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Last Chance posted:

I must had a brain fart, i remember those being unreal but they clearly are not.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Hope this isn't off topic for this thread. Not sure where is best for it.

My next-door neighbours are a couple in their seventies. Their son died of cancer a couple of weeks ago. They asked me to help out with a problem she is having viewing her emails on her IPad. Looked at it and it wants the account password to be entered - presumably this is something that just happens every so often on a timeout - but neither of them knows it. They say this happened once before, but their son sorted it out. There is a recovery email set up, but it's their son's, and the process to get his online presence/emails etc. taken down has already taken place.

The email address they want access to is a hotmail.com address. I went through with them a process on Microsoft's site that is set up to try to get you to provide evidence that you are the owner (knowing an answer to a secret question, knowing the addresses of people the account has recently sent mail to, etc.) Hopefully enough information was provided that they'll grant access to the account, if not we can try again with more information (she is able to bring up the account on her phone and view a list of emails she's sent recently, which is not very many).

The real question I have is, if we do get her back into her account, what's the best way to help her avoid this situation in future? I don't want to be their tech support on an ongoing basis, so I don't want to end up being the person who always sorts it all out for them. I am doing it on this occasion because I feel sorry for them because they lost their son. I want to get them into a position where they don't need me to help them out with this.

I've never used an IPad before, but just poking at it figuring out how to do basic stuff I could see that there was some kind of password manager built into it. Don't know why they aren't already using that for the password to the email account. I guess I could tell them to just write down the password to the account once they have access to it again. Obviously important to change the recovery address to her husband's email too.

These two aren't confident computer users, so I don't want to try to set up something complicated that will break or that requires them to know what they're doing.

I'm sorry, this is probably way off topic for this thread, I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has any "the Apple/IPad way to solve this problem is..." suggestions

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Once they are back into the account and have set up recovery details (phone numbers, alternative email addresses of a friend or relative etc.) they might want to consider subscribing to an M365 plan, which would give them access to premium support (so they can phone in).

It's a good question though and there's definitely a need for either a concept of power of attorney over someone's email account with an appropriate privacy trade-off, or a mail provider that actually provides support to people in the way that your small ISP might have done 15 years ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hammerite posted:

Hope this isn't off topic for this thread. Not sure where is best for it.

My next-door neighbours are a couple in their seventies. Their son died of cancer a couple of weeks ago. They asked me to help out with a problem she is having viewing her emails on her IPad. Looked at it and it wants the account password to be entered - presumably this is something that just happens every so often on a timeout - but neither of them knows it. They say this happened once before, but their son sorted it out. There is a recovery email set up, but it's their son's, and the process to get his online presence/emails etc. taken down has already taken place.

The email address they want access to is a hotmail.com address. I went through with them a process on Microsoft's site that is set up to try to get you to provide evidence that you are the owner (knowing an answer to a secret question, knowing the addresses of people the account has recently sent mail to, etc.) Hopefully enough information was provided that they'll grant access to the account, if not we can try again with more information (she is able to bring up the account on her phone and view a list of emails she's sent recently, which is not very many).

The real question I have is, if we do get her back into her account, what's the best way to help her avoid this situation in future? I don't want to be their tech support on an ongoing basis, so I don't want to end up being the person who always sorts it all out for them. I am doing it on this occasion because I feel sorry for them because they lost their son. I want to get them into a position where they don't need me to help them out with this.

I've never used an IPad before, but just poking at it figuring out how to do basic stuff I could see that there was some kind of password manager built into it. Don't know why they aren't already using that for the password to the email account. I guess I could tell them to just write down the password to the account once they have access to it again. Obviously important to change the recovery address to her husband's email too.

These two aren't confident computer users, so I don't want to try to set up something complicated that will break or that requires them to know what they're doing.

I'm sorry, this is probably way off topic for this thread, I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has any "the Apple/IPad way to solve this problem is..." suggestions

Microsoft accounts supports fido/passkeys so you could sidestep the "lost password" issue with a set(two or more) yubikeys in a safe place and registering their current ipad/macbook once ios16/macos13 ships.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hammerite posted:

The real question I have is, if we do get her back into her account, what's the best way to help her avoid this situation in future?
I’d suggest setting up an auto-forward so that any new emails to the son’s account get redirected to whatever email address they use, and download / import all the existing messages into a folder (preferably on their other email service rather than locally so it’s not on them to back up the data). You could help them set up a rule so that all the redirected emails end up in a dedicated folder instead of being mixed into the general inbox.

This is assuming they use email themselves, if they don’t then this idea obviously sucks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

💩💩💩 macOS Big Sur 11.6.7 has been pinched out 💩💩💩

some web page posted:

This update addresses an issue that could cause Mail and apps like Microsoft Outlook to be unable to open attachments if the app required to open the file is already running.

This looks like the last numbered update for Big Sur, now that macOS Mammoth Ventura is on the horizon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hammerite posted:

Don't over-complicate it. When/if they're able to reset the password, have them write it down and keep it in a safe place.

My parents' "password manager" is a recipe box on the computer desk. Each account gets a 3x5 card with all its info written out in pencil. This has potential drawbacks (e.g. fire, burglary) but for older people who are still, after all these years, not terribly confident working the computermajig, it works extremely well.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

duck monster posted:

Hopefully it'll fix the ugly situation I have with Docker. Docker supposedly supports ARM, but jesus christ is it a mess.

This feature is tailor made for docker, so I suspect they'll have it implemented to run x86 containers in an arm vm before Ventura even hits GA.

A bit of clarification for observers: this is not "run x86 VMs." This is "present the rosetta runtime to an ARM vm in order for it to use linux multilib to run x86 binaries." So no help on the Windows front, I'm afraid.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Last Chance posted:

I think its 'MT framework' and back in the day it was all the same engine for RE and Street Fighter. Would be cool to get some AAA engines AS native.

Unreal is not AS native is it? That would make it easier for a lot of games to transition to AS but Epic still has a beef with Apple.

edit: Oh looks like the new RE games moved to 'RE engine' which is the successor of MT framework.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 9, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unreal 5 supports apple silicon according to this thing

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/supporting-arm64-and-universal-binaries-for-apple-arcade-in-unreal-engine/

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh interesting. Where are the hyper real Unreal games I can run on M1 Ultra.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Huh interesting. Where are the hyper real Unreal games I can run on M1 Ultra.

This poo poo takes time. Yes in theory you can just flip a switch and it'll compile. But Unreals a C++, not a C# engine like Unity (Yes I know both are C++ under the hood, but thats not the part a game developer is necessarily interacting with, at least in unity) , so theres always going to be weirdness about things like Integer sizes , endianness and so on, plus theres a *lot* of different assumptions under the hood with the OS's. And thats before even touching on the complex mess that is Metal shaders vs Windows shaders.

I'm not sure if you'll see ray tracing. In theory it could be implemented on Apples GPUs, but it doesnt have the harddware support Nvidias RTX cards have. Theres likely a bunch of other complications as well.

It'll happen, but not over night.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I kid. It's not overnight tho. AS on desktop has been around for 1.5 years now. AS on mobile for 8 years. There's just no demand for high graphics games on Mac but that's changing. So not so much the technical hurdles keeping it away IMO. Looking forward to RE7 and RE4 hopefully.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Supposedly Metal 3 which was just announced by Apple is responsible for No Man's Sky and RE being ported to the Mac.

Metal 3 offers new technologies not present in previous Metal 1/2, including fast resource loading, offline compilation, optimized ray tracing, upscaling, accelerated machine learning, and mesh shaders.

These technologies (or their equivalents) are already present in DirectX 12 / Vulkan, so making them available in Metal 3 makes it possible to port more games that previously couldn't run because Metal 1/2 didn't implement them.

Presumably, it'll also allow better versions of 3D programs such as Blender on the Mac with AS as well.

Also, note the hardware compatibility chart for Metal 3:

Still scratching my head on why they even bothered writing optimized GPU / Metal drivers for the freaking Intel UHD 630, it is a slow-rear end GPU.

And it's predictable that the Metal 3 compatibility chart matches the one for macOS Ventura..

So if you want to run RE / No Man's Sky you're upgrading to Ventura, and Monterey is now in dustbin territory.

For Shaocaholica, it means you gotta 1) wait for Ventura (and also upgrade to something that can run it) and 2) wait for more people to learn Metal 3 before you see any more non-Crossover game ports on the Mac..

tl;dr: Metal 3 will make it much easier to make Mac ports of current PC games written that make use of DirectX12

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 11, 2022

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Sure and right now the venne diagram of people who meet that criteria and want to game on a Mac is…..500?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure and right now the venne diagram of people who meet that criteria and want to game on a Mac is…..500?

I'm standing right here.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Sure and right now the venne diagram of people who meet that criteria and want to game on a Mac is…..

if a Japanese AAA game company thinks it's worth it to do a port of one of their biggest games, hopefully that will convince others it's worth it too

Someone already compiled a list of Metal's 3 new features and compared it to what they would take the place of in DirectX12, and it seems complete enough that programmers could take a whack at rewriting for Metal 3, Capcom has already said RE: Village will be out for Apple Silicon in 2022..

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Multiple-monitor Mac OS question... How do I fix this?

That's Rekordbox, my primary DJ software, opening the corner of one monitor but invisible in the other two. I can't see the top of the window so I can't move it into place. This happens occasionally, seemingly at random, with some of my software, and it's very frustrating. CMD+TAB does nothing.

I have a handful of other issues with my multi-monitor setup... most notably how every time I turn them off and back on (they're on a power conditioner with a master switch, along with my speakers and some of my synths), the window orientation (not monitor orientation) changes; I usually use my right monitor for internet browser but it always comes back on the left. That's something I can deal with, but the above pictured issue is frustrating as hell because I can't do anything but close the software.

Actually, if there's a way to lock certain applications so that they always open in certain monitors, that would be cool. AFAIK there is not?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Having a frustrating issue where I can't delete a file on macOS 12.3.1.

The .epub at the bottom is a file that was downloaded from my iCloud drive into my non-iCloud sync'd download folder.

If I try to delete by right-clicking on it, I get the following error message:

If I try to use Terminal to delete it, the file can't be dragged into Terminal and the path has to be manually entered, then using the rm command just makes Terminal hang indefinitely

I'm assuming something went wrong during the process of downloading it from iCloud drive and now I can't find a way to get rid of it. Endless reboots, making sure all macOS updates are installed, ensuring I have read/write permissions for the file and it's not locked etc, have all made no difference.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it short of flattening and reinstalling my entire OS?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

what's ls -la in terminal show on it?

or just be lazy and go chmod 777 -rf filename and then delete it

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

kim jong-illin posted:

Having a frustrating issue where I can't delete a file on macOS 12.3.1.

The .epub at the bottom is a file that was downloaded from my iCloud drive into my non-iCloud sync'd download folder.

I'm assuming something went wrong during the process of downloading it from iCloud drive and now I can't find a way to get rid of it. Endless reboots, making sure all macOS updates are installed, ensuring I have read/write permissions for the file and it's not locked etc, have all made no difference.

Any suggestions for how to get rid of it short of flattening and reinstalling my entire OS?

I don't know if tab autocompletion is on by default, but i think rm was choking on the "." you have before the epub (also not sure what the .icloud extension is for, unless it hasn't actually downloaded or something, but dotfiles don't show up in finder normally, so you seem to be trying to delete something other than that epub).

if you can rename it in finder to like trash.epub or whatever, then just

cd ~/Downloads
rm -f trash.epub

otherwise you might need to put the filename in quotation marks, i don't remember if zsh is cool with spaces in filenames otherwise.

fe: also not sure you'd really need the -f, but it probably won't hurt anything

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

That's Rekordbox, my primary DJ software, opening the corner of one monitor but invisible in the other two. I can't see the top of the window so I can't move it into place. This happens occasionally, seemingly at random, with some of my software, and it's very frustrating. CMD+TAB does nothing.
Often if you change the resolution of the monitor with a stuck window to something smaller it'll reposition it so that it's not under the menubar. Try that, or try click & drag the window from the left side in-between the buttons?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Zenostein posted:

I don't know if tab autocompletion is on by default, but i think rm was choking on the "." you have before the epub (also not sure what the .icloud extension is for, unless it hasn't actually downloaded or something, but dotfiles don't show up in finder normally, so you seem to be trying to delete something other than that epub).

if you can rename it in finder to like trash.epub or whatever, then just

cd ~/Downloads
rm -f trash.epub

otherwise you might need to put the filename in quotation marks, i don't remember if zsh is cool with spaces in filenames otherwise.

fe: also not sure you'd really need the -f, but it probably won't hurt anything

Putting the file name in quotation marks fixed it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

I have a handful of other issues with my multi-monitor setup... most notably how every time I turn them off and back on (they're on a power conditioner with a master switch, along with my speakers and some of my synths), the window orientation (not monitor orientation) changes; I usually use my right monitor for internet browser but it always comes back on the left. That's something I can deal with, but the above pictured issue is frustrating as hell because I can't do anything but close the software.

Actually, if there's a way to lock certain applications so that they always open in certain monitors, that would be cool. AFAIK there is not?

Use mission control for this, try the top answer from
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/335783/how-do-i-control-which-monitor-an-application-will-appear-on

I think triggering the "show all windows" shortcut in mission control should let you drag that stuck window back on screen too