Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna keep using the Anbennar Gnolls who are demon-worshipping raiders, but mostly due to their cultures as those raised in, say, the Jaddari Empire aren't that.

Also there's the demon cocaine snorting pirates of Mykx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
My online group was talking about a 5E game, but I'm trying to reign in caster supremacy while still making taking on a prepared mage a dicey proposition. Also, it seemed to me like mages can really unbalance the action economy (to be fair, it was a much greater problem in 3E and before, where high level mages would cast a time stop like spell, and get a whole bunch of spells off before anyone can act).

Combine that with that mages can just cast all their highest level spells round after round without any deleterious effect (especially when they talk in game how draining casting high level magic is). Not to mention the Vancian system can be a pain. So I'm noodling my brain to try to change around wizards/sorcerers (probably fits better with sorcerers but it's what I'm working with right now. If it works, it'd replace mages/sorcerers in my world)

My current brainwave: Instead of certain amount of spells per level, Magic Users will have a total daily spell pool= the number of levels they can cast in a day.

For example, a 9th level wizard has 4 cantrips, 4 first, 3 second, 3 Third, 3 Fourth, 1 Fifth. Under this system, cantrips wouldn't change, but they would have (4x1) + (3x2) + (3x3) + (3x4) +(1x5)= 36 spell levels to cast in a day.

Of course, this would mean that a mage could theoretically cast seven fifth level spells in a day, so there has to be a more limiting factor, and what I came up with to add to this was a limit of spells that can be cast at any one time, I call it "The Ready Pool", where a character has ready access to only a number of Spell Levels=to the highest level they can cast. So the above 9th level wizard has a Ready Pool of 5. This ready pool only regenerates one point per round of combat, so if you cast a 5th level spell to start combat, you have used up all the points in your Ready Pool, gain 1 point at the end of the round and only be able to cast 0-level (Cantrips) or a 1st level spell for the next round.

I haven't decided whether to make it a hard limit, or to allow people to push through (taking on fatigue for example, costing extra levels from their daily spell pool or taking HP damage), but a mage can set up a power focus to improve their Ready Pool refresh (current thought is to make it the equivalent of a magic item that they would have to attune to.. also gives the players something to spend money on making). That's why mages are exceptionally dangerous when you try to take them on in their own domain.. they've spent time familiarizing themselves with the magic flow in a specific area, and aspected it to best serve their own needs.)

I'm sure that folks will have a million reasons why this sucks and won't work, so that's why I brought it up here.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 8, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirFozzie posted:

My online group was talking about a 5E game, but I'm trying to reign in caster supremacy while still making taking on a prepared mage a dicey proposition. Also, it seemed to me like mages can really unbalance the action economy (to be fair, it was a much greater problem in 3E and before, where high level mages would cast a time stop like spell, and get a whole bunch of spells off before anyone can act).

Combine that with that mages can just cast all their highest level spells round after round without any deleterious effect (especially when they talk in game how draining casting high level magic is). Not to mention the Vancian system can be a pain. So I'm noodling my brain to try to change around wizards/sorcerers (probably fits better with sorcerers but it's what I'm working with right now. If it works, it'd replace mages/sorcerers in my world)

My current brainwave: Instead of certain amount of spells per level, Magic Users will have a total daily spell pool= the number of levels they can cast in a day.

For example, a 9th level wizard has 4 cantrips, 4 first, 3 second, 3 Third, 3 Fourth, 1 Fifth. Under this system, cantrips wouldn't change, but they would have (4x1) + (3x2) + (3x3) + (3x4) +(1x5)= 36 spell levels to cast in a day.

Of course, this would mean that a mage could theoretically cast seven fifth level spells in a day, so there has to be a more limiting factor, and what I came up with to add to this was a limit of spells that can be cast at any one time, I call it "The Ready Pool", where a character has ready access to only a number of Spell Levels=to the highest level they can cast. So the above 9th level wizard has a Ready Pool of 5. This ready pool only regenerates one point per round of combat, so if you cast a 5th level spell to start combat, you have used up all the points in your Ready Pool, gain 1 point at the end of the turn, and only be able to cast 0-level (Cantrips) or a 1st level spell.

I haven't decided whether to make it a hard limit, or to allow people to push through (taking on fatigue for example, costing extra levels from their daily spell pool or taking HP damage), but a mage can set up a power focus to improve their Ready Pool refresh (current thought is to make it the equivalent of a magic item that they would have to attune to.. also gives the players something to spend money on making). That's why mages are exceptionally dangerous when you try to take them on in their own domain.. they've spent time familiarizing themselves with the magic flow in a specific area, and aspected it to best serve their own needs.)

I'm sure that folks will have a million reasons why this sucks and won't work, so that's why I brought it up here.

I've got a better idea, get rid of at-will cantrips and ritual spells. Make casters memorize specific spells every morning instead of casting whatever they want on the fly.

Also, give lots of magic items to everyone who isn't a caster.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Rutibex posted:

Also, give lots of magic items to everyone who isn't a caster.

One thing that I was also noodling about is that instead of finding magic weapons willy nilly, that magewrights can take any mastercrafted weapon and infuse it with crystallized mana (like a metal in this game world, temporary name: Manatite) through a ritual to make it magic.

It's not cheap, and in most cases, not permanent (I'm talking weeks/months before it fades and needs to be reapplied, not days/hours), but it allows someone for example, to carry their family heirloom blade throughout a whole campaign, changing it as they need throughout the career (as the DM allows, of course). It's also used in minor applications, like the "elite" King's Guard (who are really a bunch of slumming second sons and spoiled brats) to have their house's Magewright apply a minor cleaning/mending spell to their armor so it always appears polished and parade-ground gleaming without having to actually you know, ruin their hands maintaining it, like the commoners do.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirFozzie posted:

One thing that I was also noodling about is that instead of finding magic weapons willy nilly, that magewrights can take any mastercrafted weapon and infuse it with crystallized mana (like a metal in this game world, temporary name: Manatite) through a ritual to make it magic.

It's not cheap, and in most cases, not permanent (I'm talking weeks/months before it fades and needs to be reapplied, not days/hours), but it allows someone for example, to carry their family heirloom blade throughout a whole campaign, changing it as they need throughout the career (as the DM allows, of course). It's also used in minor applications, like the "elite" King's Guard (who are really a bunch of slumming second sons and spoiled brats) to have their house's Magewright apply a minor cleaning/mending spell to their armor so it always appears polished and parade-ground gleaming without having to actually you know, ruin their hands maintaining it, like the commoners do.

There is an old spell called Permanancy that is used to created semi-permanent magic items like you describe. They are not true magic items, if the spell is dispelled they won't function any more. This is a 5e version:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Permanency_(5e_Spell)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I kinda like that, but again, caster supremacy rears its head. If you have let's say as +2 flaming long sword, having a mage able to shut it down for good with a third level spell seems a bit unbalanced. But yeah, that would work for minor things like the armor and the uses on that homebrew page.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirFozzie posted:

I kinda like that, but again, caster supremacy rears its head. If you have let's say as +2 flaming long sword, having a mage able to shut it down for good with a third level spell seems a bit unbalanced. But yeah, that would work for minor things like the armor and the uses on that homebrew page.

Make Rods of Negation cheap and accessible to everyone, maybe let people put a negating effect on their weapons too? Lots of options! :twisted:

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/rod-of-negation/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Concentration is a fairly brutal caster nerf. Make sure they roll the check every time they get hit

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Change full casters to d2 hit-point dice and call it a day.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

nelson posted:

Change full casters to d2 hit-point dice and call it a day.

:hmmyes:
but make it 1d4-2 to simulate the bad health effects of brewing potions in unventilated towers. Every level you can gain +1-2, nothing, or lose a hitpoint permanently. if you roll a 1 during character creation your wizard master sacrificed you to a demon

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

For the longest time, when people talked about running a low-magic campaign, I assumed that just meant no full casters in the party, and I mean, that doesn't sound like an awful way to have a campaign go. A party full of arcane tricksters, rangers, maybe a warlock if you want to stretch it? I might propose that at the next table and see if that changes the type of story we tell.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

El Fideo posted:

For the longest time, when people talked about running a low-magic campaign, I assumed that just meant no full casters in the party, and I mean, that doesn't sound like an awful way to have a campaign go. A party full of arcane tricksters, rangers, maybe a warlock if you want to stretch it? I might propose that at the next table and see if that changes the type of story we tell.

That was going to be my serious post. It sounds like fun to me too.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Seriously. They're even pretty well specialized in their magical niches. The question is how far does the ban go? Is it just wizards, druids, and clerics? What about bards, warlocks, and artificers? How much magic is just taking the piss?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not gonna lie 5e making bards into full casters was it's best design decision

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can anyone break down the math on if it's better to have 2 attacks / action or booming blade at level 5 if the character is fighter / arcane knight?

No I don't want to hear why warlock 2 / paladin 3 would be a better choice, arcane knight is part of the problem I'm trying to get my head around.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can anyone break down the math on if it's better to have 2 attacks / action or booming blade at level 5 if the character is fighter / arcane knight?

No I don't want to hear why warlock 2 / paladin 3 would be a better choice, arcane knight is part of the problem I'm trying to get my head around.

2 attacks is much better. You have to use an action to cast Booming Blade

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Assuming your character is level 5 and they are wielding a Longsword, and that you have taken a 16 at creation in strength and a +2 in strength at level 4. You will have a roughly 65% chance to hit the average enemy. Your weapon will deal approximately 8.5 damage on hit (4.5 from weapon damage, 4 from mod. Booming blade will deal an additional 4.5 on hit and if the enemy moves they would take an additional 9, however the likelihood of that is very small as the enemy will likely die beforehand, or just choose to attack something it is already adjacent to, or within range of its range attack, so we will assume you will only get the additional damage from moving 25% of the time, so we will consider the average dpr as only 25% of its listed total, so .25*9 is 2.25. Thus:

math for 2 attacks:
(.65*8.5)*2=11.05

math for booming blade
.65(8.5+4.5+2.25)=9.9125

Note the above math did not assume a relevant fighting style.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 8, 2022

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Speaking of high magic and low magic setting, my group is currently portalling around and have landed in my test campaign setting, so it will take at least 5+ sessions to really finish it.

Serendipitously, the group are all martials or fight heavy, no casters. In the setting it's low level but it's filled with a magical crystal akin to coal/uranium, so it's a crude source of power and the world is in the infancy of industrial and electronics systems. It's basically the source of any afflicted magic user in the world (a new player entered in as an in world artificer character) and their study of these crystals has resulted in the loss of a hand and reduction of max hp. However, this messing around with the crystals gives more positive mutations the higher the Con of the character - the afore mentioned character has gained a psychic scream blast on knockout and a few extra low level spell slots. It's essentially a simple roguelike system with some mutation tables. Currently greater restoration will remove all good and bad afflictions (aside physical changes, and this knowledge isn't known yet, nor are the players high enough level!) so this is a choice a player will have to make once they start snorting it all. But the rolls can be quite bad so there's a sense of risk and reward according to some stats and specific qualities of the Magicite used, sometimes it's temporary, sometimes it's permanent, again according to exposure and 'grade', which is all just stuff they'll have to either research, or figure out with some self-destructive testing.

I'm quite happy with it, and i'm enjoying this higher tech, lower magic world.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 8, 2022

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

SirFozzie posted:

Of course, this would mean that a mage could theoretically cast seven fifth level spells in a day, so there has to be a more limiting factor, and what I came up with to add to this was a limit of spells that can be cast at any one time, I call it "The Ready Pool", where a character has ready access to only a number of Spell Levels=to the highest level they can cast. So the above 9th level wizard has a Ready Pool of 5. This ready pool only regenerates one point per round of combat, so if you cast a 5th level spell to start combat, you have used up all the points in your Ready Pool, gain 1 point at the end of the round and only be able to cast 0-level (Cantrips) or a 1st level spell for the next round.

the easiest and most precise way to address this is to have more encounters per long rest op. if you are only doing one or two encounters per long rest at higher levels the casters get to use all their good stuff all the time. aside from that, i also recommend just creating more magical weapons and items. the solution is actually to give more abilities to martials but whenever they do this someone complains its power creeping wizard or whatever

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That's a really good point, a lot of the people who boast about how OP their caster is are also people who assume they'll be taking a short rest after every encounter and are constantly taking long rests. If your casters are becoming a problem, then have them pursued so that they take rests when you say, not when they say. They'll soon learn to conserve spell slots.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Rutibex posted:

I'm not gonna lie 5e making bards into full casters was it's best design decision

I think it overpowered them some, especially when combined with charisma caster supremacy.

Bards should be 2/3rds casters that use intelligence like in 2E :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PeterWeller posted:

I think it overpowered them some, especially when combined with charisma caster supremacy.

Bards should be 2/3rds casters that use intelligence like in 2E :colbert:

No, Clerics get to be full casters and also good in combat and other perks. It's only fair, the Bard is the arcane cleric.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rutibex posted:

No, Clerics get to be full casters and also good in combat and other perks. It's only fair, the Bard is the arcane cleric.

Bards should be the arcane druid imo, being of Celtic origin.

A bit like how they were in 1st edition I guess

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

Bards should be the arcane druid imo, being of Celtic origin.

A bit like how they were in 1st edition I guess
:eyepop:
Dear God no, the Bard should not be like 1st edition

Giving them some druid spells is alright, but I kinda want a more generic bard. Too much theme in the base class makes it hard to reskin.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

El Fideo posted:

Seriously. They're even pretty well specialized in their magical niches. The question is how far does the ban go? Is it just wizards, druids, and clerics? What about bards, warlocks, and artificers? How much magic is just taking the piss?

Anyone who bans wizards, druids, and clerics and then allows someone to play an Eloquence Bard is getting what they deserve.

I second the “make long rests less frequent” suggestion if you think casters are too powerful. And/or, give additional abilities and powers to non-casters or half-casters to compensate. Dungeons with wandering monsters and environmental dangers that make players nervous about even taking a short rest are just one option: having any kind of time pressure that limits a particular expedition to a single day is useful as well. That can be a dictated limitation (“trial by dungeon: if you emerge alive before the sun sets, you will be freed”) or situational (this floating dungeon was just discovered and they have to loot it before it floods and sinks beneath the sea forever/fills with lava/Brigadoon’s back to the Astral sea/floods with poisonous gas) or driven by events (“they’re going to execute your friend tomorrow at dawn”).

Creating additional limits on how casters recover spells is also an option. Maybe recovering spells of L4 or higher has a specific requirement: clerics must pray at a temple of a certain size; wizards must be in a lab or library; druids must be in a grove where a wellspring of natural power exists: bards must perform successfully before an audience of a specific size; sorcerers must meet a requirement based upon their archetype. In hex crawls or dungeon crawls, you can thus make the discovery of a location suitable for a single PC to recover higher-level spells a major objective. You may need to limit teleportation magic at higher levels or make it more risky to use, at least if it’s two-way (like Teleport) and not one-way (Teleportation Circle out of a dungeon/wilderness or Plane Shift).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Go full hardcore, short rests may only happen in civilized areas and Long Rests are litteraly a week long vacation.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
Dear God no, the Bard should not be like 1st edition

Giving them some druid spells is alright, but I kinda want a more generic bard. Too much theme in the base class makes it hard to reskin.

Well, I don't mean like "make them take six levels in fighter and five levels in thief first"! I've never been too keen on reskinning personally, I'd rather more classes with stronger themes over more generic ones that can feel like poor fits or lackluster in achieving a particular fantasy.

That said, at some point I plan to make a Bard in one of the games I'm in that really leans hard into the College aspect, which I hardly ever see bards in play lean on. Gonna insist everyone addresses me as doctor and try to settle every argument with "Excuse me, but which one of us went to College?"

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Well, I don't mean like "make them take six levels in fighter and five levels in thief first"! I've never been too keen on reskinning personally, I'd rather more classes with stronger themes over more generic ones that can feel like poor fits or lackluster in achieving a particular fantasy.

That said, at some point I plan to make a Bard in one of the games I'm in that really leans hard into the College aspect, which I hardly ever see bards in play lean on. Gonna insist everyone addresses me as doctor and try to settle every argument with "Excuse me, but which one of us went to College?"

See I'm the complete opposite, I MUST reskin, and restrictions on that make me chafe. Yes my Reborn Lineage Echo Knight/Barbarian isn't actually a "Fighter/Barbarian," but is an undead being whose soul is so loosened from its body due to repeated deaths that it manifests outside it. My Barbarian doesn't rage, just becomes inured to pain due to the centuries of repeated tortuous deaths.

My Hexblade Warlock is no such thing. He is just some guy who bonded with a symbiotic organism, that absorbs weapons into his body and is able to manifest powers through the symbiote to create effects, though at a terrible cost to his stamina. His Tentacle lash (Eldritch Blast) is him extending out the protoplasmic form of the symbiote like a whip and lashing out at his opponent.

My swords bard would laugh if you called him that, not that he isn't personable and could play an instrument or 2, but really he's just a scoundrel who is decent with a blade and took really good notes on how allies cast spells. Whenever he casts a spell he uses an invocation one of his previous allies, or enemies, used previously to create the effect. SO he may call on Selune for a Fairy Fire, but he is just as likely to invoke Shar for Invisibility, or read some strange arcane mathematical formula to make himself teleport (misty step from fae touched).

My Oath of Ancients paladin isn't some Oath driven warrior of nature, but just a friendly retired old drunkard who loves the theater and art shows, who wields an enchanted giant calligraphy brush (a glaive in game) as a weapon. He wants everyone to be happy and smile, and lord help you if you screw with the lives of the artists who make his life worth living.

Heck whenever I play spellcasters, I usually go through and rename each and every spell I have to better fit the theme of my character. For example my Dao Genie Warlock didn't Misty Step, he used Sand Stride, to turn into a a stream of sand particles to move from one place to another. He didn't cast Create Bonfire, but used his Magmatic Geyser to create an area of fire damage. My Aberrant Mind Sorcerer never cast haste, but manifested two tentacles to inject two party members with a strange stimulant cocktail.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 8, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Go full hardcore, short rests may only happen in civilized areas and Long Rests are litteraly a week long vacation.

No wonder you don’t enjoy 5E much if you keep insisting on house rules that make the game profoundly unenjoyable. :cheeky:

Making short rests more important makes classes that rely on them more (especially monks and warlocks) work better. They need the help. But if you’re going to do that, think seriously about modifying the Barbarian class abilities, like allowing them to recover at least 1 use of rage per short rest.

I have played a L7 cleric in a game where we spent over nine sessions without a long rest opportunity, and when we got into the situation that made resting impossible I’d already expended over half my spells in combats. Circumstances allowed me to play mostly as a bad fighter with a few cantrips, but it was pretty frustrating because it was a combat-heavy environment.

I think it’s better to give other classes more to do than to undercut how casters work. That, or have intangible factors that benefit non-casters, including getting serious about downtime and insisting that most casters have things they have to do during downtime to maintain their power (praying, meditating in a natural place, studying and researching). Allow non-casters to craft magic items instead of limiting that to casters. A fighter with psionic powers or a barbarian surrounded by the spirits of his ancestors should be more than capable of enchantment. Give fighters and rogues friends and connections and guilds they can draw upon. Make the barbarian or the ranger local heroes of the populace.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/melee_cantrips/ this is a very detailed calculation... depends on how reliably you can trigger the rider

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Narsham posted:

I think it’s better to give other classes more to do than to undercut how casters work.

i believe in this fully and encourage every DM to challenge themselves by taking this approach. it isnt even homebrew -- the dmg tells you to do it! use alternative rewards and boons and buff the hell out of your martials to make them fun. buffs are better than nerfs because you wield infinite power and it doesnt matter if your PCs are overpowered, so long as they all get moments to shine

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Two attacks are always better than one; the cantrip scaling is more a consolation prize if your build delays or forgoes Extra Attack entirely, or if you can use it on an Opportunity Attack via War Caster.

Unless, of course, you're a Bladesinger wizard, in which your identically-labeled Extra Attack feature works completely different from every other identically-labeled Extra Attack feature, and you actually can use a cantrip as part of your Attack action, in place of one of your normal swings. Because why shouldn't wizards have their cake and eat it too?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The the books claim a standard adventuring day of 4-6 encounters per day, and doing it that way does shift the balance. They don't all have to be combat encounters, but still that's not how most people play. A dungeon crawl, or a varied campaign that includes dungeon crawls, can get you more encounters per day and rebalance the classes.

You can only have one long rest per 24 hour day. So if your day starts at 8 am and the casters have blown all their spells by noon, they can't just go back to bed because that would be absurd. It is a long day, so allow 3 short rests per day.

Casters have to make hard decisions about when to blow their spells. Going nova in the first fight of the day is expensive. Meanwhile Fighters hit with their sword just as good all day long -- and since action surge and second wind recharge on short rest they can use them almost every fight. It also tweaks the balance between the martial classes because Ki recharges on a short rest but Rage does not. So your angry bois can run out and have to be careful where they spend that last rage, while the punch mans are throwing out stunning strikes all day.

This way no one feels like they are being singled out for being nerfed, everything is proceeding exactly as it is supposed to in the books. But something like a Rune Knight is relatively a lot more powerful than usual.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Facebook Aunt posted:

The the books claim a standard adventuring day of 4-6 encounters per day, and doing it that way does shift the balance. They don't all have to be combat encounters, but still that's not how most people play. A dungeon crawl, or a varied campaign that includes dungeon crawls, can get you more encounters per day and rebalance the classes.

You can only have one long rest per 24 hour day. So if your day starts at 8 am and the casters have blown all their spells by noon, they can't just go back to bed because that would be absurd. It is a long day, so allow 3 short rests per day.

Casters have to make hard decisions about when to blow their spells. Going nova in the first fight of the day is expensive. Meanwhile Fighters hit with their sword just as good all day long -- and since action surge and second wind recharge on short rest they can use them almost every fight. It also tweaks the balance between the martial classes because Ki recharges on a short rest but Rage does not. So your angry bois can run out and have to be careful where they spend that last rage, while the punch mans are throwing out stunning strikes all day.

This way no one feels like they are being singled out for being nerfed, everything is proceeding exactly as it is supposed to in the books. But something like a Rune Knight is relatively a lot more powerful than usual.

Six to eight medium or hard encounters, not 4-6. Note also that this is in the "Creating a Combat Encounter" section, as are the tables for what constitutes an easy/medium/hard/deadly encounter. It's fairly clear that the 6-8 encounters refers to combat encounters.

DMG posted:

The Adventuring Day
Assuming typical adventuring conditions and average luck, most adventuring parties can handle about six to eight medium or hard encounters in a day. If the adventure has more easy encounters, the adventurers can get through more. If it has more deadly encounters, they can handle fewer.

In the same way you figure out the difficulty of an encounter, you can use the XP values of monsters and other opponents in an adventure as a guideline for how far the party is likely to progress.

For each character in the party, use the Adventuring Day XP table to estimate how much XP that character is expected to earn in a day. Add together the values of all party members to get a total for the party’s adventuring day. This provides a rough estimate of the adjusted XP value for encounters the party can handle before the characters will need to take a long rest.

N.b. that there is no guidance anywhere for giving experience for encounters other than totaling up the exp values of the creatures in the encounter. One oddity here is the "monsters and other opponents" phrasing, but that's probably just using "monster" in a less expansive way than the MM definition ("a monster is defined as any creature that can be interacted with and potentially fought and killed").

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

SirFozzie posted:

I will inform you that there is no real need to do this. While Magic users are better come the high levels, the differences are not as massive as before, and it requires the game making it to those high levels. Plus unless they are super good optimizers, there should not be too much outshining from my experience. Also on the fluff said I am pretty sure that it being draining using their highest level spells is why they can only use their highest level spells once or twice.

I still don't recommend nerfing the casters anyway, it's better to buff the other people instead. Maybe use a few houserules like flanking giving a +2 to attack rolls, but I would recommend starting largely using the rules normally, and see how it goes, before deciding if you want to change certain things.

What party do you think you are going to have. And could you elaborate on the unbalancing the action economy thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The real answer is you can't balance D&D in a frictionless vaccum. Too much depends on what is happening at your individual table. You have to just start playing, and if the people at your table are finding casters too powerful you can adjust things on the fly.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Yusin posted:

I will inform you that there is no real need to do this. While Magic users are better come the high levels, the differences are not as massive as before, and it requires the game making it to those high levels. Plus unless they are super good optimizers, there should not be too much outshining from my experience. Also on the fluff said I am pretty sure that it being draining using their highest level spells is why they can only use their highest level spells once or twice.

I'd say lack of optimisation actually widens the gap between casters and martials. On the caster side you just need to take good, or at least decent, spells and you're most of the way there. Martials need feats and most likely multiclassing (and if you don't know what you're doing it's easy to end up with a multiclass build that ends up being worse than if you had stuck to one class).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
D&d 5e is balanced fine as it is, so long as you stick to the level range most people play at (3-12)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't really understand by why the aversion to higher level play? If its balance issues, is it a problem to basically accept you're basically demigods doing stuff out of the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't really understand by why the aversion to higher level play? If its balance issues, is it a problem to basically accept you're basically demigods doing stuff out of the Epic of Gilgamesh?

I have no aversion to it myself. Just have not seen many games get there.