Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Since season 2, and I've been going to Plat 4 in around 15 to 30 games each season. My peak was diamond 4 a couple years ago. I don't have much will to grind out the 100 or so games to diamond so I usually stop once I hit Plat nowadays.

Getting up in ranks requires playing lots of games and being willing to look at your games and pick out what you could have done better. Making excuses for your loss, whatever the reason, is an enormous waste of time.

Some goons in the discord had a discussion about this. Newbies and lower ranks trying to climb responding to constructive criticism of their game play with "my strategy works in my garbage rank" or "maybe in diamond your strategies work but not in my lovely X elo" really need to get slapped.

The advice experienced players give are how they reached the higher ranks in the first place. Learn and apply it, otherwise don't bother wasting everyone's time asking for advice and then make excuses when they provide said advice.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Le0 posted:

Have you guys been playing for a long time? I can't seem to get out of bronze and honestly it's entirely my fault cause I kinda suck. I suck at CSing and also I suck at not dieing in lane.

I've been playing since 2011 and peaked at Plat 1. I might be able to get higher if I really sat down and dedicated time and effort to it, but circumstances make that difficult.

Being able to climb in League, like any game, is about figuring out your weak points and either working to improve them or finding ways to circumvent them. If you're bad at CSing, sit in the practice tool drilling CSing until you can get 8-10 CS/m, or play champions that have relatively foolproof CSing power (Miss Fortune, Annie, Olaf, etc.). If you're dying in lane a lot, then learn typical jungle timings for your lane to be more wary of ganks and play more with a single champion to practice specific lane matchups that might be killing you, or pick champions with lots of escapes that are difficult to gank (Leblanc, Ahri, Ezreal, etc.). The former method will eventually get you to greater heights if you have the time and talent necessary, and you do have to invest time into getting better regardless, but the latter method is equally viable if you can figure out how to finesse it. Stuff like a guy playing Shaco mid in Masters because he loving hates being ganked or a guy playing Sion top in GM because he's terrible at laning are completely valid ways to play League, and it's up to you which you think will yield a more fun experience for you if climbing is your goal.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
He actually hit Challenger in KR after that vid, and was already Chally in EUW. After the Sion nerfs, and the durability patch hurting basically all of his other favorite heroes, he's been stuck slightly below EUW GM.

But yeah, climbing is going to involve more learning what you're specifically good at & how you can cover for your weaknesses. You can easily climb with something unconventional if it works to your strengths.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

If you're bad at CSing, sit in the practice tool drilling CSing until you can get 8-10 CS/m, or play champions that have relatively foolproof CSing power (Miss Fortune, Annie, Olaf, etc.).

I just started jungling.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing since season 2, although a took a couple years off after all the scandals emerged. My peak rank is gold... 3 or something. I never really have any motivation to climb more in ranked once I hit gold, I prefer just playing normals with friends.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Le0 posted:

Have you guys been playing for a long time? I can't seem to get out of bronze and honestly it's entirely my fault cause I kinda suck. I suck at CSing and also I suck at not dieing in lane.

have you tried practicing csing? genuine question here

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So again, I am hot garbage at this game and plunged myself to Bronze 4. I played on the game's release about 12 years ago to the beginning of season 1 and came back briefly for a month or so last year in a casual sense. Now I'm actually trying to get better, because I feel like when I play casually with my friends, I've been letting them down a lot. I'll try to speak on what little experience I have.

I played Spectre (A very, very hard carry) in Dota and they basically do not exist in League. I did so to something like a 3.5-4k MMR level back when that was a thing. (I'm unsure of where that would put me in League but I'm guessing gold?). ADC is, even with farm, a glass cannon position that has very little in terms of escape potential, so whilst I initially saw it as the carry analogue, it just isn't. I would farm and just lose games because I had no impact.

Kayle is the only hero in the game that makes sense to my Spectre addled brain. If I farm on this hero and I force the game late, I win. There's almost nothing anyone can do.

So I played her top as the game suggests and I started at something like Silver 2 prior to placements, lost most of them and then plunged from Bronze 1 to Bronze 4.

So I sat back and evaluated. I was getting destroyed in the laning phase so badly that my opponent would get unbelievably farmed and sweep the game. Even if I didn't get destroyed, being pressed up against the tower lost me games because the top would go mid and get kills.

How do I deal with this? What does getting good look like?

The first two questions I asked are. Is this champ right for me? Is this lane right for me?

Kayle is right for me. Even though I was losing games, I was CSing at a level well above what was expected for my MMR and if the game did go long I won.

So then I asked, is the lane right for me and Kayle?

The first important note was, I was losing top even when I executed my gameplan properly. This is because in bronze your mid cannot cope with a top coming to murder them. They can barely cope with jungles doing it. So if I want to play a passive farmer, I can't do it there.

The second problem I had is that information on how you play top is incredibly disparate. And further, information on how you play top often just doesn't apply to the way that Kayle plays at all. It was really hard to understand even the basics of laning Kayle top even looked like. Most pro vids I saw had jungles actively come gank for her which never happened in my games.

So I started trying to figure out two things. Can Kayle be played mid? Is there anything remotely analogous to Kayle mid? My reasoning behind mid is that I have decent map awareness. If I can back easily I won't lose lane because I'm just not going to eat ganks. Additionally, if I get pushed in, I can push back out a lot faster and punish roams by getting plates or free backs.

The answer was, that the former is true and recommended by a lot of good players.

After that, I sat down and started trying to find information on how to play midlane. It turns out, mid lane is just documented far better than top is. There's some stuff that doesn't apply quite as much to me e.g. "How to trade" where my answer is "Don't." But I found a huge degree of documentation on ward placement, wave management, back timings, the whole lot.

So I started dumping her mid and every time I won or lost a lane, I'd sit down and research the champ I played against so that next time I'd have a gameplan for them.

Right now, the mid to lategame is stuff I just don't analyse. I farm like crazy until I'm 16 and then show up to teamfights to kill everything. I simply don't have a deep enough understanding, or enough mastery of my champ to figure them out. But once I'm confident in lane, that's what I'll look to do next.

I'm not a challenger, I'm not even on the cusp of average. But over the past week or two I've steadily moved from the bottom of Bronze 4 to what is mid Bronze 2 now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just support I say as I steal CS

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

pog boyfriend posted:

have you tried practicing csing? genuine question here

Well I already asked some pointers before in the thread and been suggested to go to practice tool, which I did. I also tried the lux drill thing from coach curtis (basically having a Lux bot and csing). I just need more practice I think I'm improving a little. The thing is that in lane it's a complete different thing, I think my csing sucks in part because I'm trying too much to trade and doing badly, then dieing and so losing CS. I've been mostly playing only 2 champs, Yone and Veigar.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One bad habit to try and avoid when ahead and at or near max build is to not be that person who is still wave clearing lanes coming towards your teammates, you have no further use for gold and your teammates are 2.5 items behind you and you are probably complaining about how weak your teammates are, try not to be that person.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Shaco mid kicks rear end if you havent tried it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
no

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Vermain posted:

Stuff like a guy playing Shaco mid in Masters because he loving hates being ganked or a guy playing Sion top in GM because he's terrible at laning are completely valid ways to play League, and it's up to you which you think will yield a more fun experience for you if climbing is your goal.

This dude makes good videos but they're a complete trap unless you're really good at the game lol. They're like "HOW can this guy get HEIMERDINGER SUPPORT into CHALLENGER?" and then he goes through and describes them like "he buys boots on his first back, so now he can dodge every skillshot" and "he gets an extra potion at the start of the game so he can outlast the opponent" and I'm sitting there like "of course! boots first!" as if with or without boots on I'm not going to go out there and collect enemy skillshots like they were Pokemon cards.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Phenotype posted:

This dude makes good videos but they're a complete trap unless you're really good at the game lol.

They're absolutely not videos I'd want anyone to follow mindlessly, especially someone new. They're more to illustrate the point that there's a lot of different ways to play the game and find success, and that coming up with ways to mitigate your weaknesses that aren't just "sit in practice tool doing CS drills for an hour" can help to give you a leg up when you're looking to climb.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thankfully the result of those videos is people mindlessly following them and not learning a loving thing

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Le0 posted:

Well I already asked some pointers before in the thread and been suggested to go to practice tool, which I did. I also tried the lux drill thing from coach curtis (basically having a Lux bot and csing). I just need more practice I think I'm improving a little. The thing is that in lane it's a complete different thing, I think my csing sucks in part because I'm trying too much to trade and doing badly, then dieing and so losing CS. I've been mostly playing only 2 champs, Yone and Veigar.

when do you go for trades? if you cant answer this question the way you are going to improve is actively thinking this question to yourself

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A dumb meme build video introduced me to how disgusting ap varus is so I'm okay with tgem

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I peaked in S1 or 2. Didn't enjoy practicing in this game so I started rightclicking enemies in ARAM and had much more fun for it.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah practice tool just cuts into playtime so my practice is called normals

I've found ranked a lot harder this year for some reason, dunno if I can be bothered hitting gold again

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

el dingo posted:

Yeah practice tool just cuts into playtime so my practice is called normals

I've found ranked a lot harder this year for some reason, dunno if I can be bothered hitting gold again

There's no denying practice tool is far more efficient. Also less fun.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

I’m currently plat 2. I made it to diamond in a preseason one year. Would be good to make it to diamond again and have it count.

I generally find as you get higher within a ranking you find more inconsistent games because you have people at the bottom of a division with low mmr sandbagging their games for whatever reason.

In my experience ranked sessions are best limited to one or two games (maximum 3). Always focus on your own gameplay and turn chat off.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Verviticus posted:

thankfully the result of those videos is people mindlessly following them and not learning a loving thing

I play with a friend of a friend sometimes that'll breathlessly be telling me about the new hotness from these stupid clickbait youtube videos. They totally work cause they saw a video of a guy going 30/0 with it!!!

Then it's just the dumbest stuff imaginable like full AD lethality Akali or random cheese comps that like.. technically do work yes but only work because the player/duo is way, WAY better than their opponent and they cherry pick either the footage or the game or both. Invariably with a great youtube tumbnail of someone pointing or grabbing their head

A jargogle posted:

There's no denying practice tool is far more efficient. Also less fun.

Maybe it's just my fighting game side, but I like grinding stuff in the practice tool sometimes :shobon:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Yeah you have to become immediately skeptical when some dipshit flaunts their badass OFF META PICK and names are off so you can't see they're very obviously boosting or crushing silver players

e: oh and yeah ive hit diamond twice, high plat a few times but for the past few years I'll do the bare minimum of flex games to hit g4 then bail. Climbing to diamond is doable, and it was fun, but it's also very time consuming. im far more interested in other stuff in life than the diamond border. i do at least try to get the skin each year even if its hideous 9 out of 10

on the flip playing with friends for the past ten or eleven years our normal mmr draft is so wonky and high we'll get master, gms, or challenger players from time to time with the occasional poor silver friend of theirs strapped to their side

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 8, 2022

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the most important part of league is having fun. this is why you should never accept any criticism when you lock in ad tf

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
support illaoi is the real off meta pick your junglers and adc don't want you to know about

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Just play Soraka in every lane. No stress, just hit Q.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Tired Moritz posted:

Just play Karthus in every lane. No stress, just hit Q.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Minera posted:

support illaoi is the real off meta pick your junglers and adc don't want you to know about

support illaoi has mana problems you can circumvent by rushing tear and lost chapter on

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

support illaoi has mana problems you can circumvent by rushing tear and lost chapter on

:hmmyes:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaor2ydMsI

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Lol yeah I haven't been playing much lately and kind of forgot about bel veth but caught some stream that had her in it and went wtf that's the attack animation they went with. Goofy as hell

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I have successfully managed to raise my LP.

Back to the point that I started from.

I am at Bronze 2, 80 LP, exactly 1 LP below where my placements put me.

Its only taken a month and a hundred games.

Also behold my absolutely hilarious mid stats where it turns out, I do in fact, CS like a challenger. (I just don't do any damage, or see things)

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 11, 2022

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey Bronze2 buddy! What is that application? Honestly your CS is way above average for our rank. At least from what I see it's very rare to see anyone at 7cs/min.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Which honestly implies to me that either you're on your way up or you're doing something suboptimal in decision making

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
App is League Blitz.

I think the answer is both. I feel like I win lane about 90% of the time. (Where winning is defined as even CS with my opponent and maybe a death one way or the other)

The thing is I just don't leave lane. I don't chase my opponent, I just CS. If I'm pushed in and my opponent leaves, I'll ping miss but I'm not leaving creeps on the table.

Most of my losses are due to people just having full on mental breakdowns when mid ganks them and i'm not there.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Natural 20 posted:

The thing is I just don't leave lane. I don't chase my opponent, I just CS. If I'm pushed in and my opponent leaves, I'll ping miss but I'm not leaving creeps on the table.

Most of my losses are due to people just having full on mental breakdowns when mid ganks them and i'm not there.

There can be a problem of being too passive. If the enemy leaves lane, there needs to be a cost. You take tower, you follow and countergank, or you farm up and outcash what they get from ganking. You say yourself your damage is really low, whatever is happening you are not turning your CS differential into an advantage by punishing their mid or taking your advantage to steamroll another otherwise even lane. If they go and get a kill every time they leave lane, the 10 CS advantage you get pales compared to the kill+assist gold and the amount your team loses running back to lane.

If you get ahead, you have to do something with it. You probably need to fight more or get better at fighting. Turn gold/item advantage into a strategic gain.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 11, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Jesus no poo poo youre losing games if you just afk farm all day

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They tot CSing down, nows the time to learn enemy punishes. A thing at a time

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Wow, this is actually pretty huge:

Five bucks for the XBox Pass to have access to every champ and all the other games is really solid, especially given how painful the onboarding experience to acquire champs can be. I know a lot of friends that swear by the XBox Pass being great for other games too, so might be something worth throwing by friends I bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Now if only it wasn't locked to the Microsoft pass...