Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Samovar posted:

These people have no loving clue how loving goddamn crazy they sound. Nothing. Not ONE thing in that sounded fun.

Ever seen the Stimpire copypasta in the Star Citizen thread? It's like that only someone saying how hype it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

The end game of that scenario is a select few super "clans" would dominate all of gaming by having a bunch of members online grinding 24/7 meaning that any individual player would never achieve anything as far as item progression goes.

It is that one joke in Futurama, but unironically: Basically, they think that they will naturally be in those clans, and guys like them better know where they step once that happens.

soundsection
May 10, 2010

Lammasu posted:

A man that suggests in game crafting taking hours is broken on the inside.

it will probably take that long to validate the transaction :v:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Samovar posted:

These people have no loving clue how loving goddamn crazy they sound. Nothing. Not ONE thing in that sounded fun.

They don't care about it being fun, they care about it making the value of their magic internet pogs go up so they can be captains of industry.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yeah afaik most of these people aren't actually people who play games or care about games.

At least that's the way it seems, I've yet to see an NFT game that could stand on its own, they all seem to live and die on the NFT hype.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Popete posted:

The end game of that scenario is a select few super "clans" would dominate all of gaming by having a bunch of members online grinding 24/7 meaning that any individual player would never achieve anything as far as item progression goes.

Ah, the “Scarab Lord” model. Another great example from Blizzard!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

organburner posted:

Yeah afaik most of these people aren't actually people who play games or care about games.

At least that's the way it seems, I've yet to see an NFT game that could stand on its own, they all seem to live and die on the NFT hype.

there's an nft game by twitch-gamer-turned-cult-leader Athene:
https://clashofstreamers.com/

Or specifically it was developed by people working for free in his "religious compound" in germany
but most of the people involved had actually touched videogames before!
it's still terrible

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Or specifically it was developed by people working for free in his "religious compound" in germany

What the gently caress

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Athene is the kind of reference you can't drop without knowing you're starting a two page tangent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anno posted:

Another solid laugh. Like I kinda get the appeal of what's being dreamed about here in a weird way, just there's no reason it has to be done in this dumb loving way.

This reminds me of a post I saw someone make about suggestions for the crafting system in WoW before that game released. It was about crafting a special jeweled scimitar for a guild leader with a bunch of special features "befitting a man of his status". It honestly had some pretty cool ideas but it showed a complete ignorance of how game design worked both from a perspective of a) what's fun to play and b) what's a good use of developer resources. The one game I can think of that game close to doing what the guy wanted is Dwarf Fortress.

Now that I think about it, Dwarf Fortress NFTs might have been kind of cool if everything about NFTs weren't a nightmare :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
https://twitter.com/adamultraberg/status/1534033362968489984?s=21&t=lRpNEz4VOUeIhnxAZH5I-A

Imagine the pain of your friends not being around. Now when they are around, they are hours away from being able to play with you, it’s like every server is an infinite number of instances! The Martian, the MMO.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, you can put all that into game(s) without blockchain, but no one will because it's dumb.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

SettingSun posted:

5% is not a low drop rate; an uncountable number of such things would exist before the closing of the first day and crash any market they would be entered into.

Also lol at the idea of geometrically increasing the amount of busywork a dedicated player would need to do to stay competitive.

I was thinking the same about the 5% drop rate, from my brief experience with real money in games (diablo 2 unofficial trading and diablo 3 real money auction house) to make anything have any worth, the actual drop rate has to be one in a million.

Average player will never see anything worth money drop, and for those who actually want to profit, it's all about playing the auction house instead of playing the game and/or running tons of bot accounts simultaneously.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
5% drop rate and only 4 in existence? Either he doesn't understand probabilities or this frost giant has a 6 month respawn timer. Either way it's clear he doesn't understand the first thing about games in general and what makes people want to play games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This came up in IoSM and the more you think about it the worse it gets:

Tarezax posted:

a couple options:

a) there's barely anyone playing the game
b) the boss is a non-instanced world boss that only spawns at set intervals (say, weekly) so it's only been defeated less than 100 times
c) the requirements and resources consumed for fighting the boss are so costly that most players just won't bother and only a few highly organized groups can attempt it on a regular basis

None of these imply anything good about the game experience

These are all plausible scenarios for the numbers in the story and I can guarantee you that cryptobro there was not thinking of any of them

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looked up to see what dude knows and it's, surprise surprise, web development. His LinkedIn public profile is kind of dumb but he very clearly has no idea what he's talking about obviously.

He has a site claiming to have invested millions of dollars but I would be willing to bet he's counting funny money and not actual fiat currency.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
"He spent 5 years building multiple startups in the crypto space" <- is it just me or that sentence doesn't exactly scream "success"?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NFT and Gaming: developed by people working for free in a religious compound in Germany

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FishMcCool posted:

And in classic cryptobro fashion, there's still no explanation for why those mechanics require the use of a blockchain. Or why gaming companies would want to incentivise you to play the competition's games instead of theirs.

Yeah. Blockchain poo poo brings nothing to the table. It can't magically force gaming companies to start supporting poo poo across different games and from their competitors' games, and if game publishers wanted that poo poo, it would be happening right now, because it's been technically feasible for the past 25 years or so.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FishMcCool posted:

"He spent 5 years building multiple startups in the crypto space" <- is it just me or that sentence doesn't exactly scream "success"?

this is how these people always operate. they are always running 5 different projects/scams at the same time, none of which gain any traction

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

also a pretty funny detail about the lovely looking GRIT game is that their supposed cooperation with EPIC is just them listing the game in their store. thats the whole extent of their "partnership"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

if he'd succeeded he'd have wiped his LinkedIn profile, projects, and be living somewhere without extradition treaties

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looked up to see what dude knows and it's, surprise surprise, web development. His LinkedIn public profile is kind of dumb but he very clearly has no idea what he's talking about obviously.

He has a site claiming to have invested millions of dollars but I would be willing to bet he's counting funny money and not actual fiat currency.

I dare anyone to listen to his podcast and remain sane.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m web developer who has ever played a video game, but my name isn’t Niccolae Carpathia or whatever.

I once quit a company because it was developing its own internal cryptocurrency for bonuses

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

MechaCrash posted:

And these are just a few examples off the top of my head about how "do this other thing you don't want to do so you can do the thing you can" is horrible and disruptive, and doesn't get into the fact that the ability to do this kind of poo poo already exists, since the recent crop of Pokemon games can share Pokemon with each other. And there's the often brought up "TF2 hats" thing.

I was thinking about this a bit last night and I was trying to think of other games that do this, having something from one game directly transferred and usable into another game. Stuff like Pokemon BDSP going "Oh you have save data from Let's Go Pikachu, have a free Mew" isn't quite like that, although "This Pikachu I have in Pokemon Sun I caught way back in Pokemon Emerald" is.

The only other thing I could think of was one of my favorite PS1 games, Arc the Lad. Arc the Lad II would take your save file from the end of the first game and transfer all your characters' items and levels, as well as your inventory to the second game. And not only that, you could transfer items and captured monsters between yourself and other players with Arc Arena, which was kind of a side game to Arc II.

Obviously all this was done years before the blockchain existed, the blockchain, crypto and NFTs have never been needed to do any of that stuff.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Xenosaga did that kind of poo poo too, where if you had a save file from Xenosaga 1, you got bonuses in Xenosaga 2 depending on levels, money, and other stuff I can't remember.

I think you could also carry data forward in Dragon Age, and I know you could for Mass Effect and Baldur's Gate.

This poo poo isn't new, is the point we're all making, and blockchain has never been required for any of it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You could even transfer your Mass Effect save into Frog Fractions 2!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Some of the old dungeon crawlers had save transfers between franchises, not just with a series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Some of the old dungeon crawlers had save transfers between franchises, not just with a series.

Yeah Bard's Tale let you import Wizardry disks I think?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Plenty of old rpg franchises did it within the series: the various gold box series, wizardry, eye of the beholder, possibly dungeon master (to CSB), Dark Sun (to the sequel that shall not be named). Clearly these guys secretly had mad crypto skills, no other sorcery can explain transfering characters/items/content between games! My theory is that they invented crypto back then, but they knew the haters would dunk on them, so they kept it low profile.

Funnily enough, unlike the rest of its contemporaries, Ultima didn't do that, but Lord Brexit is the one furiously diving into NFT as his previous scam dies ever so slowly.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
You really don't need me to say any of it, but tweets like that reveal just how deep the brain worms have burrowed into these people's skulls. It's like an onion where every layer you peel away just reveals another, more bewildering layer of misunderstanding of how... anything functions, really. No company would want to do this if it involves driving traffic to competitors. And if they did want to do this, they don't need blockchain to do it. In fact, the problem of tracking who owns what is just a miniscule (and easily solved) corner of the problem space, with much larger portions being taken up by questions like how sharing game assets between (potentially wildly different) games is supposed to work, not to mention the thematic questions. Blockchain adds nothing of value to any company that wanted to implement some kind of cross-game currency. There's no incentive for companies here.

The next layer is the fact that I don't know what player would possibly want to interact with a system like this. If I like playing World of Warcraft, presenting me with the suggestion that if I want to get ahead in raiding I should play Candy Crush for 20 hours and then transfer resources from that game into Clash of Clans and then further beyond, would not elicit anything from me other than loud retching noises. Just the idea that this is somehow desirable to anyone is baffling. I don't know how someone can be so divorced from the modern gamer zeitgeist as to believe that. There's no incentive for players either.

Oh, except the next putrid onion layer, which is that the dynamic that would evolve out of this is that whoever can amass the biggest network of peons to farm resources for them in Candy Crush would come out on top in World of Warcraft. And those peons are likely to be low-income people in Southeast Asia and other places far removed from you. I don't know if this guy didn't even spend the 10 minutes of thought it takes to realize this, or if he legitimately thinks digital feudalism is cool and good, actually.

So in short, all the incentives involved in this range from non-existent to outright vile, and the fact that he presents it as some kind of positive vision of the future and not the dystopia it really is, should tell you everything about just how deep the brain-rot goes, entirely aside from the fact that none of it is technically, socially or economically viable.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

To be fair playing Candy Crush for 20 hours to get ahead in WoW sounds better than playing WoW for 20 hours to get ahead in WoW.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

if he legitimately thinks digital feudalism is cool and good, actually.

It's this one. All these crypto boosters inside and outside the games industry just want to become The Man in a new system. When they talk about 'revolution' in games or finance, what they really mean is 'the existing social and financial systems except I'm on top this time and you pay me rent'.

Some of the conversations I've had in industry spaces about this are absolutely loving wild.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

floofyscorp posted:

Some of the conversations I've had in industry spaces about this are absolutely loving wild.

I'd want to hear some.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah. Blockchain poo poo brings nothing to the table. It can't magically force gaming companies to start supporting poo poo across different games and from their competitors' games, and if game publishers wanted that poo poo, it would be happening right now, because it's been technically feasible for the past 25 years or so.
The Rift MMO has (had? Haven't played in ages) a mobile game where you'd send your little pet dudes off on adventures for in-game items. Also what was the FPS that flopped that was supposed to impact the global map of another game in the same universe? None of this is new and it's been done without ~blockchain~

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Splicer posted:

Also what was the FPS that flopped that was supposed to impact the global map of another game in the same universe? None of this is new and it's been done without ~blockchain~

EVE's Dust 514.

Star Citizen's Squadron 42 might be the same type of deal? But I don't actually know. It might just be 'we're gonna prototype FPS combat as a separate game before adding it to our MMO.'

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

floofyscorp posted:

It's this one. All these crypto boosters inside and outside the games industry just want to become The Man in a new system. When they talk about 'revolution' in games or finance, what they really mean is 'the existing social and financial systems except I'm on top this time and you pay me rent'.

Yeah, the reason why all these scammers pushing crypto games always sound like they've never played a video game in their lives is that they don't give a poo poo about the games themselves, they're just piggybacking off of something that is already popular in order to try to set up their own money train. "Terrible unfun garbage game where digital landowners make people work for slave wages" sounds great to them as long as they're the ones at the top of the heap.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Look, there is only one thing you need to check if a scummy practice like NTFs is commercially viable for games: Is EA doing it?

The answer, for now, is a big fat "no". So if the biggest microtransaction giant on the market is not interested in the "hot new technology" it seems it's not the hot.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kikas posted:

Look, there is only one thing you need to check if a scummy practice like NTFs is commercially viable for games: Is EA doing it?

The answer, for now, is a big fat "no". So if the biggest microtransaction giant on the market is not interested in the "hot new technology" it seems it's not the hot.

I never thought about it that way. You have places like Square Enix and Ubisoft trying blockchain but the microtransaction king isn't bothering with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kikas posted:

Nah. Because the other thing about EA is they don't take risks, can't innovate for poo poo, and are always late to everything. Often so late that the party's already over by the time they arrive.

EA made a star wars mmo and it was the signal that mmos were pretty much over. EA was trying to make a moba but were still working on it in 2014 (peak moba) when they cancelled it. EA made a live service game and it flopped, because Anthem was up against games that had gotten years of polish work. They made VR games in 2020.

The only reason EA has a successful battle royale game is they bought respawn from outside.

So based on history, EA is working on a blockchain game right now and will announce it about 5 minutes before everyone else announces they're shutting down their NFT projects.