Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bargearse posted:

I honestly don't give one single solitary gently caress about cheerleading but I'm 100% in favour of whatever makes old mate Pete mad.

Jaundice Meaterson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bargearse posted:

I honestly don't give one single solitary gently caress about cheerleading but I'm 100% in favour of whatever makes old mate Pete mad.

This attitude will lead you right pretty much all of the time.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

cohsae posted:

Looks like the woman on the left is smuggling in a child

Or two

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Read After Burning posted:

I'm curious as to what "#behavioralsink" is, but I don't want to be put on a list. :ohdear:

Left-leaning folks in the South often get left (:haw:) out of progressive discussions, because "gently caress the red states and everyone in them :smug:", so websites like Scalawag and folks like The Liberal Redneck (Trae Crowder) should be required viewing for all. Since moving to California, I've definitely experienced some regionalism/elitism (some earned, some not), so I thought the article was well worth a read.

I've lived in California for over ten years, and I highly doubt I'd ever move back to the South. At the same time, I often see people here in CA act like it's a perfect bastion of tolerance...casually forgetting the large population that voted for Trump, or the sundown towns, internment camps, etc.
I get way less poo poo in New Orleans than in New York or for that matter Ontario, Québec, or France for being bi and poo poo, and almost everyone lovely here is some californian explaining how smart and nice California is compared to this hellhole, so make of that what you will

BrigadierSensible posted:

If the USA was a functional country they could just have taken the train, like normal people.

Iowa-DC is about the same distance as Lisbon-Paris, lol are you a very stupid european that has forgotten how the train across multiple countries is more expensive than a loving flight or worse, a self-loathing US american?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Maybe we don't jorp out and make mean comments about the fat woman's body shape

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Faith vs works is actually a complex question in Christian theology with almost as many different answers as there are denominations. I don't remember enough of my Lutheran catechism to give a trustworthy summary, so this wiki article will have to do unless someone with a better background in religious studies wants to try.

I do remember that the phrase "faith without works is dead" comes from James chapter 2, and it gave Martin Luther absolute fits* because of his idea of sola fide: that salvation (which comes from grace) can be received by faith ("fide") in Christ alone ("sola") and good works are not necessary. This was one of a bunch of places where he disagreed with the Catholic Church, leading to the Protestant Reformation.

*That, and the syphilis.

Yeah, so I only have a layman's understanding of the arguments involved, but the way that comment by the protesting kids comes off to me is to say that "thoughts and prayers" are as useless as "faith without works", which is the kind of criticism that a Catholic would level at an Evangelical who goes through life saying "I don't have to actually DO anything good, I just have to say I <3 Jesus once in my life and boom done". And for kids in the deep South to be making that sort of attack, putting it on signs and using it as a slogan ffs, where they're presumably surrounded and immersed by Evangelical rhetoric and having it hammered into them daily by their parents, seems like a big deal, like a "Southern middle schoolers are rebellious as gently caress against their parents' generation" kind of deal.

Or am I wildly off base? I'm talking directly out of my rear end and am completely nonreligious but I like to try to understand the forces at work here.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, so I only have a layman's understanding of the arguments involved, but the way that comment by the protesting kids comes off to me is to say that "thoughts and prayers" are as useless as "faith without works", which is the kind of criticism that a Catholic would level at an Evangelical who goes through life saying "I don't have to actually DO anything good, I just have to say I <3 Jesus once in my life and boom done". And for kids in the deep South to be making that sort of attack, putting it on signs and using it as a slogan ffs, where they're presumably surrounded and immersed by Evangelical rhetoric and having it hammered into them daily by their parents, seems like a big deal, like a "Southern middle schoolers are rebellious as gently caress against their parents' generation" kind of deal.

Or am I wildly off base? I'm talking directly out of my rear end and am completely nonreligious but I like to try to understand the forces at work here.

I'm always fond of Matthew 7:21 "“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Which seems like an absolute refutation of faith alone straight from the mouth of Jesus, but he said a lot of stuff evangelicals don't care about, also mostly from the book of matthew.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

This

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

As a local fat lady, I love the term jorp out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s only Jorping if you’re actively crying while making those comments.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s only Jorping if you’re actively crying while shoveling steak into your face while making those comments.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

We can't prove you aren't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I assume every post on the internet is made wile crying, don't you?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

It’s only Jorping if you’re actively high as gently caress on benzos and crying while shoveling steak into your face while making those comments. Also you sound like Kermit the Frog and you live in filth even though the central tenet of your half baked “philosophy” is about cleaning your room

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

AlbieQuirky posted:

I am going to kink shame this one time only.

Having seen the old "no kinkshaming" sex threads in A/T, I'm convinced kinkshaming is an important facet of any healthy online community.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
dudes rock

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Of course same people going "See what a high minimum wage requirement gets you, you'll be replaced with a kiosk/robot!" are also terrible at using said kiosks and making it somehow still the fault of minimum wage requirements.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every fast food place I’ve seen with a kiosk also has cashiers. It just cuts down on lines.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Doesn't like automation taking people's jobs? Bet that guys a big supporter of unions then right?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Doesn't like automation taking people's jobs? Bet that guys a big supporter of unions then right?

Nah, yelling at a touch screen just isn’t the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Every fast food place I’ve seen with a kiosk also has cashiers. It just cuts down on lines.

You have to there is no way a touch screen could survive customers being idiots and loving them
Up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

teen witch posted:

As a local fat lady, I love the term jorp out.

Michael Morbius, already starting to cry as he looks at a picture of Snow White: Get back, I'm starting to Jorp!!!!!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
As automation gets cheaper, maybe we shouldn't reduce minimum wage to make it competitive with robots who don't eat or sleep, and instead provide a living wage and protect workers through other means than crushing poverty.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That doesn’t make me more money so hard pass

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pththya-lyi posted:

did they teach you about how Luther imagined himself throwing his own poo poo at the Devil

That was the bit about his 95 Feces, right?

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Dr. Stab posted:

As automation gets cheaper, maybe we shouldn't reduce minimum wage to make it competitive with robots who don't eat or sleep, and instead provide a living wage and protect workers through other means than crushing poverty.

The reason it hasn't happened until now isn't a matter of minimum wage (because you can't pay a human lower than 'an occasional repair) but justifying the capital expense to setup the new kit. Franchises are just writing off the last of their old facilities on tax before they invest in the new hotness.\

But yeah, if we don't start grappling with UBI now, we'll have to grapple with 'the cool zone' in a decades time.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

I'm curious as to what "#behavioralsink" is, but I don't want to be put on a list. :ohdear:

It's a reference to behavioral experiments involving overcrowding in mice:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-mouse-utopias-1960s-led-grim-predictions-humans-180954423/https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Dr. Stab posted:

Maybe, if the benefits of automation are equitably distributed among society, automating away the necessity for work would be seen as positive, and we would all reap the benefits of hahahahahahahahahaha *deep breath* hahahahahahahahahahaha yeah right like they'll ever let that happen

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If we had robots capable of fulfilling our every need and work was no longer required, under capitalism this would mean that all but like 7 people on earth would starve to death. I think capitalism might be broken.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Cryptobros continue to be very low-hanging fruit for this thread
https://twitter.com/JasonPLowery/status/1533925550598889478
I have a master's in engineering (different specialty) and the fact this was even submitted is embarrassing by proxy.

Jorpin' makes me feel good bad

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Jun 8, 2022

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

This person should not own as many sharp objects as they do.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Whats going on there? I presume he is using the knife holder wrong or something but I can't really make out the picture.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Krispy Kreme Launches New "Pick of the Patch" Berry Donuts

Chris posted:

This is society where "no problem" is an appropriate response for "thank you". I hear you, Blue, but I realize I'm considered too old-fashioned in my ways for today's vocal, entitled class.
This is the same guy I've posted before, complaining about "kids these days saying 'no problem"! It seems like he brings this up every few months. :confused:

Bubbsy posted:

When I express gratitude to someone - I'm happy to be reassured that taking care of me didn't create any type of problems for them. It's a casual-yet-thoughtful response. What of "no problem" seems entitled and inappropriate as a response to a thank you?

Chris posted:

I don't want to argue, I guess I'm just old-fashioned. Let's leave it at that. Thanks.

Oh, okay. Slightly less weird than I was thinking...I assumed it was some "#ChildFree" poo poo.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Hope that person responded "no problem" to Chris's "leave it at that"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is "no problem" a kids these days thing? That is my go-to and I'm nearly 30 about to have children of my own, last I checked

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s been a boomer complaint about millennials that briefly had a moment a few years ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A "behavioural sink" I believe is a term popularized in the sixties when they were doing all the weird mice experiments to "simulate humans living in cities" and refers, I believe, to destructive behavioural trends that nonetheless gain prominence in a society.

It could arguably be used to describe a lot of bad behaviours encouraged by our society, most prominently in my mind I think it very accurately describes a lot of right wing politics and cult-like behaviours that cause people to behave destructively to themselves and others and only become more destructive as the effects of their actions take hold.

But if someone just comes out with it in reference to overpopulation I am suspecting they are probably a neo-malthusean weirdo with some exciting takes on race and class.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

old bean factory posted:

This person should not own as many sharp objects as they do.

I don't know if this is necessarily the stupid part, but those slots are very close together, presumably to give you some options with how you space your knives out. Instead, this guy put 4 knives in adjoining slots despite the handles not fitting in that space, bending or breaking them, and left 80% of the space free.

I imagine this guy setting up his living room by putting the couch, love seat, recliner, coffee table, and TV stand all smashed together in one corner leaving the rest of the room empty and then complaining that the idiots that designed the set didn't leave him room to sit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

It’s been a boomer complaint about snake people that briefly had a moment a few years ago.

When I was a waiter I got a negative review on Yelp because I said "No problem" instead of like "my pleasure" when a customer wanted like a substitution on their burger or something like that. This was at a diner named after a punk song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they're the kind of person to use "entitled" to mean "feels unjustifiably entitled to special treatment" rather than literally being entitled to something, then I have no interest in their language-shifting boomer rear end opinions