Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PurpleXVI posted:

I shouldn't have put it to a vote.

I should just have ignored the adventures.

I should just have ignored all the adventures, sob.

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

EclecticTastes posted:

Adventures seem fun, and also get you artifacts, so Adventure until you drop.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

If modern politics has taught me anything, it's that democracy doesn't work.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can't get enough of the doom engine graphics.

The lore is great... don't get me wrong.... but there was so much potential in using this engine for d&d. Actual elevation! Actual perspective! Someone got doom in my d&d! Sure, it had some of the terrible level design of Antara but at least it's not 30 hours of platemail pirates. Hopefully.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ah, the skeleton summoning. Indeed one of the more broken parts of the game. There's really no reason to avoid using it even as a good character because it just drowns the battlefield in troops for cheap.

Sort of like a Necromancer in Heroes 2, really.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

:getin:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm so, so sorry.

How hosed up did everything get and just how more broken is the game?

Also, did Noelon finally get to pet a hellhound?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Shei-kun posted:

I'm so, so sorry.

How hosed up did everything get and just how more broken is the game?

Also, did Noelon finally get to pet a hellhound?

I'd hate to spoil anything, but let's just say that I could no longer distinguish between actively malicious design and just buggy, broken design.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd hate to spoil anything, but let's just say that I could no longer distinguish between actively malicious design and just buggy, broken design.

:stare:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sounds about right.

You knew what you were getting into.

May I suggest for your next LP you try to pick an actually good game? I'm worried about your sanity if you keep torturing yourself like this.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Black Robe posted:

Sounds about right.

You knew what you were getting into.

May I suggest for your next LP you try to pick an actually good game? I'm worried about your sanity if you keep torturing yourself like this.

I actually had memories of this being a good game when I was a kid!

I am slowly coming to the realization that kid me had really warped perceptions on some points. :v:

Aside from that I also think that I might take an LP break after this one, not because I'm tired of LP'ing, but because I'm just plain running short on material. The only other one that calls out to me is Divinity: Original Sin 2, which is dialogue heavy and as far as I know has no dialogue dump and is almost wholly voiced. So it would either end up being a more-or-less video LP or I'd annihilate my own brain transcribing dialogue.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PurpleXVI posted:

I actually had memories of this being a good game when I was a kid!

I am slowly coming to the realization that kid me had really warped perceptions on some points. :v:

Aside from that I also think that I might take an LP break after this one, not because I'm tired of LP'ing, but because I'm just plain running short on material. The only other one that calls out to me is Divinity: Original Sin 2, which is dialogue heavy and as far as I know has no dialogue dump and is almost wholly voiced. So it would either end up being a more-or-less video LP or I'd annihilate my own brain transcribing dialogue.

Also Maple Leaf is LPing it right now, though your take on it would definitely be fun to see someday.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Black Robe posted:

Also Maple Leaf is LPing it right now, though your take on it would definitely be fun to see someday.

As much as I hate to complain about a fellow LP'er, Maple Leaf's LP was also one I was looking forward to until it turned out it was going to be a modded one, modded explicitly to remove the best mechanical change they made between DOS1 and DOS2.

That just baffled me way too much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Once again, a music preview:

Warning: This one contains a spoiler around 0:30 if you watch the video and may also make you motion sick. I certainly know that playing this part gave made me motion sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF5e1nskltI

Warning: This second one is actually kinda good until, as per usual, it goes off the loving rails after the composer's second snort of coke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzRDAoX043U

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
In my defence - not that I did anything wrong - I did suggest that you play a low-jank classic game like Strahd's Possession.

Have we discovered some sort of new entry for the DSM? A sort of masochism wherein the afflicted deliberately seeks out insanely frustrating/badly made/technically inept games with the possible wrinkle of sharing their misery with others?

I hope that you at least had a pleasant Grundlovsdag, Purple.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

sb hermit posted:

I can't get enough of the doom engine graphics.

The lore is great... don't get me wrong.... but there was so much potential in using this engine for d&d. Actual elevation! Actual perspective! Someone got doom in my d&d! Sure, it had some of the terrible level design of Antara but at least it's not 30 hours of platemail pirates. Hopefully.

Reading the last update and looking closer at the mess of a combat system, something that came to mind is that this game would probably be so much better if all the character and adventure stuff was handled by something like the BaK engine. You'd have turn based combat, working (more or less) AOE damage and status effects, the ability to actually change character equipment, etc.

Black Robe posted:

Play the TSR Goldbox Dragonlance games next. :unsmigghh:

Or go with the 2.5D games and play something like Stone Prophet.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

In my defence - not that I did anything wrong - I did suggest that you play a low-jank classic game like Strahd's Possession.

Have we discovered some sort of new entry for the DSM? A sort of masochism wherein the afflicted deliberately seeks out insanely frustrating/badly made/technically inept games with the possible wrinkle of sharing their misery with others?

I hope that you at least had a pleasant Grundlovsdag, Purple.

I don't see a point to playing a game I don't have some prior knowledge of, though. Like... if I can't offer some faintly interesting perspective, either based on knowing the background material really well, or at least having played the game in the past, then I don't feel like I ought to be the one LP'ing the game.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reading the last update and looking closer at the mess of a combat system, something that came to mind is that this game would probably be so much better if all the character and adventure stuff was handled by something like the BaK engine. You'd have turn based combat, working (more or less) AOE damage and status effects, the ability to actually change character equipment, etc.

God, yes, please.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Play the TSR Goldbox Dragonlance games next. :unsmigghh:

Or go with the 2.5D games and play something like Stone Prophet.

See, the issue here is that the only thing worse than a D&D game that horribly mangles the mechanics and hacks out large swathes of them, is a D&D game that faithfully implements all the mechanics, because in the former case at least I don't have to deal with save vs death poisons or level draining bullshit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't see a point to playing a game I don't have some prior knowledge of, though. Like... if I can't offer some faintly interesting perspective, either based on knowing the background material really well, or at least having played the game in the past, then I don't feel like I ought to be the one LP'ing the game.

It's your choice, Purple, but I think the opposite. I think that seeing you discover a game with little to no foreknowledge would be quite charming

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

PurpleXVI posted:

But there are so many terrible, janky 90s RPGs left un-LPd! Who else could do justice to the Realms of Arkania games? Legend of Faerghail? The Superhero League of Hoboken? :v:

On an arguably less-terrible "classic" RPG note, I'd love to see someone LP Might and Magic X one of these years. Mainly because it was just too bland for me to play through, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for LPing it, but it manages to be almost good in a sort of fascinating way for an exercise in nostalgia. If only it had even a little bit of the personality of MMs 3-8...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

But there are so many terrible, janky 90s RPGs left un-LPd! Who else could do justice to the Realms of Arkania games?

While I may come across as a masochist, I do have my limits. I will never, ever, touch Die Schwarze Auge. Holy poo poo no.

Germany should never have been allowed to make RPG's.

Xerophyte posted:

Legend of Faerghail? The Superhero League of Hoboken? :v:

On an arguably less-terrible "classic" RPG note, I'd love to see someone LP Might and Magic X one of these years. Mainly because it was just too bland for me to play through, which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for LPing it, but it manages to be almost good in a sort of fascinating way for an exercise in nostalgia. If only it had even a little bit of the personality of MMs 3-8...

I will also not touch a Might and Magic game that lacks lasers.

Though this does remind me of Gothic 2...

Janky, has personality, definitely a possibility. Only problem is that it's hard as nails at points and not trivially snapped in half.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

While I may come across as a masochist, I do have my limits. I will never, ever, touch Die Schwarze Auge. Holy poo poo no.

It's like you somehow don't appreciate the verisimilitude of your characters dying of disease because you forgot to buy and equip some thicker clothes before leaving town in winter, or walked in a swamp wearing the wrong type of shoes. :v:

I'm not sure that let's playing a Piranha Bytes game is the best way to live a life free of German RPG jank, strictly speaking, but they're certainly interesting. The Gothic/Risen/ELEX experience is also probably best enjoyed at a safe distance, so they should make good LP food.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

See, the issue here is that the only thing worse than a D&D game that horribly mangles the mechanics and hacks out large swathes of them, is a D&D game that faithfully implements all the mechanics, because in the former case at least I don't have to deal with save vs death poisons or level draining bullshit.

At least in Dark Queen of Krynn if there are level draining undead it's not as much of an issue (especially if you power level a couple of sword/rose knights) since you'll be too busy dealing with the swarms of enchanted bullshit draconians.

As a serious option, maybe Ultima VII? Or Ultima VIII if you still want to hate yourself some more. :shepface:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

As a serious option, maybe Ultima VII? Or Ultima VIII if you still want to hate yourself some more. :shepface:

U4 through 7 have already been done better by Nakar than I could ever hope to, and God no, I will not touch U8 or U9 with a ten-foot pole. U9 has in any case been tackled by better folks several times, and U8... unsurprisingly every attempt has imploded in some way.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

I actually have a soft spot for the Realms games, once you have some idea of what you are doing, it is only sometimes obnoxious and frustrating. You can also use basic mode and ignore 99% of obtuse mechanics. The big issue is how much of the massive game world is pointless filler. Probably about 3/4 of each games map has basically nothing of interest in it.

I do hope you find something fun for your next game, the adventures in this already look dire, and we haven't seen what broke you yet. I for one would be down to see you LP a game blind or with limited knowledge. Since you usually go with screenshots, it cuts out a lot of the meandering that I find makes blind play throughs frustrating.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

PurpleXVI posted:

Drakensang and its sequel, The River of Time, aren't that terrible though. Janky, certainly, but nowhere near the insanity that is the Realms of Arkania series.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PurpleXVI posted:

U4 through 7 have already been done better by Nakar than I could ever hope to, and God no, I will not touch U8 or U9 with a ten-foot pole. U9 has in any case been tackled by better folks several times, and U8... unsurprisingly every attempt has imploded in some way.

I go back and reread Nakar's U4-U7P2 and Martian Dreams on the archives. Hilarious! SHAMINO!!! :argh:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, I remember Tower Ruannoch being a pain in the rear end to find all the keys and Malento's Tower is bullshit as well. Basically two different flavors of bullshit.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would suggest Ruins of Myth Drannor, but that is just tedious. I still like the Ravenloft/Mezo/Ravenloft trilogy. Think of them like Wizards & Warriors without the bullshit.

Seriously, though, thank you for doing W&W. I could never get that to bloody run, you did the LP and then I got it on GOG.

PurpleXVI posted:

Methinks that the Dane is inherently biased. :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This just reminds me I still want to do an LP of Dragons & Demons: The well of Souls.

I just need to make the game work on a modern OS first. Last time I tried I couldn't even install it properly.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Sounds like you need to play some real Birthright adventures! They don't give quite as insane rewards, but you can be (at least a bit more) sure that they won't be agonizingly stupidly laid out either. There was, unfortunately, almost none actually published before WotC executed the setting... but I'd love to run King of the Giantdowns someday.

Are the adventures even worth doing if you aren't going to just go assassinate the Gorgon yourself? Sure, you've gotten some nice spells out of it, but they seem to not really be that helpful overall.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Really? There's been no complete ultima 8 lp? Maybe I should take a crack at it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chronische posted:

Sounds like you need to play some real Birthright adventures! They don't give quite as insane rewards, but you can be (at least a bit more) sure that they won't be agonizingly stupidly laid out either. There was, unfortunately, almost none actually published before WotC executed the setting... but I'd love to run King of the Giantdowns someday.

Are the adventures even worth doing if you aren't going to just go assassinate the Gorgon yourself? Sure, you've gotten some nice spells out of it, but they seem to not really be that helpful overall.

It depends wildly.

For instance, some of them give you a minor bonus to Agitate, a power you'll never use. Or maybe they'll make human troops never rout, even though morale seems non-existent for player-controlled troops.

But the Scepter of Cuiracen can give you a leg up in those fights where the AI lucks into knights or something similar, Farid's Coffer of the Realm trivializes the economy once you get it rolling, the Chalice of the Dead lets you recruit skeletons like normal troops, the Crown of Command gives you an extra action per turn, which is +25% more actions from then on(3 normal actions, one lieutenant action, and now the bonus action), Gavelon's Staff perma-blesses all your provinces.

Additionally, the "major" relics amount to 150 victory points, which is between half and a quarter of the amount needed to win, depending on game difficulty, and the "minor" relics amount to 230 victory points. So between them, it's possible to win most campaigns purely by collecting relics, though you're somewhat at the RNG's mercy of which adventures pop up.

Also if someone actually ran a Birthright game and broke my curse of eternal GM-dom, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

sb hermit posted:

Really? There's been no complete ultima 8 lp? Maybe I should take a crack at it.

Not according to the LP Master List. 2 and 8 are the odd ducks out, while 9 has the inscrutable distinction of being the only one anyone's ever played twice.

In actual content news: Recording and screenshotting are done, I figure I'll probably get done sorting the screenshots tomorrow and have an update up over the weekend or monday.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Also if someone actually ran a Birthright game and broke my curse of eternal GM-dom, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

I think something could be arranged...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cooked Auto posted:

This just reminds me I still want to do an LP of Dragons & Demons: The well of Souls.

I just need to make the game work on a modern OS first. Last time I tried I couldn't even install it properly.

Can you show more information about this game? I can't even find anything in a search - it was brings up the most unpronouncable game of modern times, Demon's Souls.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chronische posted:

I think something could be arranged...

You're tempting me a bit, and that horrifies me beyond measure.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Can you show more information about this game? I can't even find anything in a search - it was brings up the most unpronouncable game of modern times, Demon's Souls.

The English name is Dragonfire: Well of Souls. The Swedish name translates to Dragons and Demons because it's based on the the 2nd most sold P&P RPG of the 80s: Drakar och Demoner. Apparently we Swedes really, really liked tabletop roleplaying compared to the rest of the world.

Anyhow, Well of Souls is a pretty crappy Diablo clone. It's the last (and I think only?) game made by Target Games' video game division before they went bankrupt, decided that the future lay in maps & the painting thereof, and reformed themselves as Paradox Entertainment. Well of Souls is not good, but you can play as a duck pirate.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Xerophyte posted:

Well of Souls is not good, but you can play as a duck pirate.

These two statements are entirely incompatible.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

At least in Dark Queen of Krynn if there are level draining undead it's not as much of an issue (especially if you power level a couple of sword/rose knights) since you'll be too busy dealing with the swarms of enchanted bullshit draconians.

“Steve casts Delayed Blast Fireball.” Wait four minutes as the chain reaction of exploding draconians proceeds. Just make sure the frontliners have at least resistance to fire.

Are you at all familiar with the Lord of the Rings CRPGs Interplay released? The first volume is definitely worthy of an LP. Or there’s always Six Ages: Ride like the Wind. I think the one attempt to LP that didn’t finish.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Xerophyte posted:

Well of Souls is not good, but you can play as a duck pirate.

JustJeff88 posted:

These two statements are entirely incompatible.

:hmmyes:

:ducksiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

The English name is Dragonfire: Well of Souls. The Swedish name translates to Dragons and Demons because it's based on the the 2nd most sold P&P RPG of the 80s: Drakar och Demoner. Apparently we Swedes really, really liked tabletop roleplaying compared to the rest of the world.

Anyhow, Well of Souls is a pretty crappy Diablo clone. It's the last (and I think only?) game made by Target Games' video game division before they went bankrupt, decided that the future lay in maps & the painting thereof, and reformed themselves as Paradox Entertainment. Well of Souls is not good, but you can play as a duck pirate.

Ah drat, I forgot it was called Dragonfire in English. :doh:
And also forgot there was a apparently an english version of it too.

Not sure if I'd even call it a Diablo clone because it has none of the combat and just the perspective.

Also they misspelled the setting, it's Ereb Altor and not Eltor.