Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Forbidden Siren never really hit the right balance for combat, a lot of levels in 2 start off by sightjacking everyone until you find the one with the Japanese handsaw. Because once you ambush them and take it, combat is pretty solved until the end of the mission.

I really wish more people tried to rip off Siren than Silent Hill, not even the sightjacking but just having multiple viewpoints and stories within the same horror event, along with the different paths they could take. I guess Until Dawn and the Dark Pictures stuff comes the closest, but still far away. What I'm really saying is that more non-VN games should do the Link Navigator stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hel posted:

Forbidden Siren never really hit the right balance for combat, a lot of levels in 2 start off by sightjacking everyone until you find the one with the Japanese handsaw. Because once you ambush them and take it, combat is pretty solved until the end of the mission.

I really wish more people tried to rip off Siren than Silent Hill, not even the sightjacking but just having multiple viewpoints and stories within the same horror event, along with the different paths they could take. I guess Until Dawn and the Dark Pictures stuff comes the closest, but still far away. What I'm really saying is that more non-VN games should do the Link Navigator stuff.

That kind of stuff is interesting but it's easy to start getting into annoying territory. Decisions in the past that propagate forward into other people's timelines and being able to go back and change it is cool but if the option is too obvious then it just becomes another primary objective, and if it's too obscure then you end up with the issue that Siren 1 has where you have to either comb the levels to an absurd degree for adventure game solutions for something five levels from now or read a guide.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That kind of stuff is interesting but it's easy to start getting into annoying territory. Decisions in the past that propagate forward into other people's timelines and being able to go back and change it is cool but if the option is too obvious then it just becomes another primary objective, and if it's too obscure then you end up with the issue that Siren 1 has where you have to either comb the levels to an absurd degree for adventure game solutions for something five levels from now or read a guide.

Yeah, Siren 1 was way too obtuse with some of them, but I think 2 did it way better by actually making them alternate Primary Objectives that only showed up on replays, when they situation was right. So it was less, "Pixel hunting every level to figure it out" and more " Now that I did this, how did it change the other levels and what is now possible that wasn't before". Basically making the flow between events interesting , rather than the individual puzzles. It did still do some obtuse stuff though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Playing the original Siren and I need to go to the hospital from the difficulty whiplash in this game.

Level as a priest with no weapons, four or five missions in: tense nightmare of a level I failed several times on.

Next level, where there is a random fire poker sticking out of the ground? Call me a phlebotomist because some zombies are getting POKED.

When you hit a brick wall with what to do next there is no reason to not use a guide, Siren 1 is more obtuse than some old school NES games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Siren is a game that’s all cat hair mustache puzzles, like finding a towel as one character and putting it in a freezer so another unrelated character can use the towel as a makeshift trap some of the puzzles are insane.

428 Shibuya scramble is a good example of a game about multiple characters and branching timelines but it provides far more information about what is gating your progress. Siren is just a chapter synopsis away from achieving that, even if it’s just the character thinking “I have to lure away the dude with the gun somehow” and the timeline chart is like “didn’t character B come through this section an hour ago?”

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Originally the manual had hints for the alternate versions of each mission but they were generally so vague as to be worthless lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

al-azad posted:

Siren is a game that’s all cat hair mustache puzzles, like finding a towel as one character and putting it in a freezer so another unrelated character can use the towel as a makeshift trap some of the puzzles are insane.

428 Shibuya scramble is a good example of a game about multiple characters and branching timelines but it provides far more information about what is gating your progress. Siren is just a chapter synopsis away from achieving that, even if it’s just the character thinking “I have to lure away the dude with the gun somehow” and the timeline chart is like “didn’t character B come through this section an hour ago?”

Yeah, it'd be fine if there was an in-universe reason for a character to do random poo poo. Like, I'd accept "Oh, you picked up a gun with this character who didn't need it, but now this character who does need it doesn't have it" or "you unlocked this door but it's blocked from the other side, but this other character later can take advantage of the door you unlocked", or whatever. It gives incentive to replay, but it feels like bullshit if what you need to do is totally arbitrary and based on trial and error.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

just wanted to quote this post and say that 428 shibuya scramble is one of the best games I've ever played, and if anyone has any tolerence at all for "VNs" they should really give it a shot. one of those games where after you play it you look for similar games everywhere but can't find them. not horror at all though lol.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Siren sounds awesome but also completely impenetrable,

Is there a good let's play of it or anything?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
People constantly bring up the supergreatfriend one of it (and while I've personally never seen it, they've never put out a bad LP imo), but Egomaniac has an old one on the LP Archive while also doing Siren 2. Ego made another LP for Siren 1 on their YT channel, tho I don't think that particular LP was put up on the Archive.

Edit: Actually, I am wrong as hell, the new LP was in fact on the Archive lol

https://lparchive.org/SIREN-Remastered/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Suoergreatfriend also ended up doing a Siren 2 LP as well about a year or two back, it's not on the archive since he left SA by then. You can catch it on his YouTube channel.

Fiendly also is doing a Siren Blood Curse LP right now, with just the final episode to go but it's been a few weeks since they uploaded anything for the LP.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What we need is a successor to bobvids' epic, perfect, and tragically destroyed LP of SH Homecoming.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

What we need is a successor to bobvids' epic, perfect, and tragically destroyed LP of SH Homecoming.

It's still onYouTube? Unless I misunderstand you

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

It used to use annotations in the video which contained links to other videos and was styled as a CYOA thing if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Please for the love of God let The Quarry be good.

Until Dawn showed me the flashes of brilliance you're capable of, Supermassive

don't let me down

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nyoro posted:

don't let me down

I pre-ordered it, I have those hopes too. I enjoy their other games though for what they are, but ueah I'm hoping something more in the Until Dawn area.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I pre-ordered it, I have those hopes too. I enjoy their other games though for what they are, but ueah I'm hoping something more in the Until Dawn area.

It definitely looks more Until Dawn than Dark Pictures. Looking forward to it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It used to use annotations in the video which contained links to other videos and was styled as a CYOA thing if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Exactly, as well as using them as internal branching point links within the video, serving as footnotes. They're all gone and while the videos are still watchable, they're effectively a scrambled chore (though a check reveals that bob generally has timestamps where the links are intended, which means you can get most of it through manually scrolling - I'd forgotten that factor).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 8, 2022

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nyoro posted:

don't let me down

For what it's worth, I wrote the IGN review of The Quarry.

I try not to say things like "if you liked [X], you'll like [Y]," as it doesn't strike me as critically useful, but it's probably the best informal elevator pitch for The Quarry that you're likely to get. It's a next-gen Until Dawn in a different biome, but slightly longer, with a bigger overall cast and an arguably better script.

My issue with The Quarry is that it's deliberately designed for the part of its audience who likes to watch other people play these games on Twitch. It's much less interactive than UD, with fewer of the free exploration sequences, and still has a lot of the petty annoyances that are in every Supermassive game like unlabeled points of no return.

(Also, there's this whole can of worms that Polygon(?) opened about "queerbaiting," which strikes me as ridiculous, but maybe the reviewer only played through it once.)

What gets me about this is that I've just reviewed Vampire: The Masquerade - Swansong for another site. It's a worse game, but it's got a ton of a little quality-of-life features that I would love to see in a Supermassive project; you can skip a lot of the cutscenes and dialogue on replays, the scene selector lets you freely start a new save file and roam at random around the entire game to try new things out, and an interaction that will trigger a point of no return has a clear and obvious icon on it which you can't select accidentally. A combination of those features with the production values and acting chops of Supermassive would be just about perfect.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2022

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I missed the page where we all posted our day dream horror games but I'm still going to be cringe and post mine.

We need to go full circle and make a horror game where the main character is a horror game streamer who decided to up his game by getting a fancy headset and traveling to an "actual" haunted house only for him to find out it's got real monsters and ghosts and poo poo in it. There will be a fake twitch chat scrolling in the corner the entire time and if you turn on twitch integration your actual twitch chat could be mixed in with the fake chat.

At some point in my life the image of a ghost tormenting a streamer with copyrighted music became really funny to me so this thought lodged itself into my head.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i would play that

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
*getting murdered by a ghost draining your soul*

Chat: POGGERS! *emoji* *emoji* *emoji* *emoji* *emoji*

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There was one or two neat little jam game sized games that were basically text adventures played through a Twitch chat interface. Kind of dark web-y stuff, you just login to a blurry gopro cam of someone walking through dark hallways and you can type in "pick up key from toilet" while chat messages scroll by like "fake gay lame so pog die die die"

Feedvid Live, I could see this expanded into a full game with actual Twitch integration.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've seen Alpha Beta Gamer play a game like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdgRxYUAsMU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Okay I thought I had seen something like this, but wasn't sure if it was a game or a short film.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

its too bad that fmv game where youre an egirl's twitch moderator directing her while shes getting spooked on or something got quietly cancelled after everybody made fun of it when they announced it, it wouldve probably been good for a laugh

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Professor Wayne posted:

Lol when someone subscribed and wrote wwwwwww the text to speech reads out each w and the stream chat just went wwwwwww

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Anybody know what happened to Stefano Cagnani? I wanted to check out Back From Death but it looks like he wiped his Itch page.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

0 rows returned posted:

its too bad that fmv game where youre an egirl's twitch moderator directing her while shes getting spooked on or something got quietly cancelled after everybody made fun of it when they announced it, it wouldve probably been good for a laugh

I can't imagine any greater horror than being an egirl's chat moderator.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I was wondering what happened to that game. I'm a little disappointed because I think the idea could work, even if it has the potential to be more than a little offensive. But I'm also a sucker for FMV, any game that lets you pretend to have a tedious, menial job, and spotty-but-technically-usable text parsing. If that Doctor Dekker game hadn't gone the Clue ending route I probably would've loved it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

10 year old Vaporware game Routine just showed new footage at summer games fest lololol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

Idk, it could be kind of cool. Monitoring the creeps and freaks and doing regular moderation but slowly getting one or two people who look like they might try and pull something in real life, continually sockpuppeting their accounts and stalking the person til eventually they show up at the person's house. Make it so that you have to determine who is an actual threat and who is just a freak, and how hard it is to tell.

The biggest issue is that I imagine it would quickly turn into a Chan board favorite for egirl stabbing simulation because if there is anyone who hates online sex workers it's serial masturbators.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

al-azad posted:

10 year old Vaporware game Routine just showed new footage at summer games fest lololol

The game's been dead so long they called it a reveal trailer.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
summer game fest is a space horror conference now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm laughing that Youtube's recommendation is Alien Isolation because I'm pretty sure the devs at one point posted about their frustration at Isolation eating their lunch.

I don't know if this is a cinematic pre-rendered trailer, I certainly like their older blockier style better than this ultra smoothed over look.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bloober Team announced Layer of Fear… s. It looks like an Unreal 5 remake of the first game, tortured painter in a mansion. Now you can watch baby smash its head with the power of Unreal 5 nanite.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You can't just pull a Silent Hills and call your Layers of Fear sequel Layers of Fears. That's cheating. I wanna see another baby run into a wall though.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

https://twitter.com/lunarsoftware/status/1534972102079565832

Apparently they are basically starting from scratch, which doesn’t fill me with confidence that it will actually come out (e.g. Scorn basically started over at least once for shinier graphics and doesn’t really seem any closer to finishing.)

Edit: Also agree that I think I prefer the older, blockier look.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 9, 2022

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Maybe with actual publisher money they’ll release something. Scorn ran into funding issues after their initial Kickstarter because everyone underestimates how much money it takes to make a studio game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

al-azad posted:

Maybe with actual publisher money they’ll release something. Scorn ran into funding issues after their initial Kickstarter because everyone underestimates how much money it takes to make a studio game.

I think something similar happened to The Last Night. Developer spent the Xbox exclusivity money on expensive office space and furniture, then the game got milkshakeduck’d and neither Microsoft nor anyone else wanted to put more money into it. (Then it got replaced by the very similar looking Replaced, then that too was delayed).

Makes sense though, even a million dollars of kickstarter money doesn’t go very far when you start having to pay multiple people+benefits+taxes+expenses.