Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Just Another Lurker posted:

Another pension related question.

I quit work in 2020 (just living off savings till pension age, another 14 years) and the new government pension i had through the company amounted to £5900. :lol:

Should i pump more money into it? (if that's possible, i could contribute another 14K ).

Do you get any particular benefits for contributing to that pension (eg is it especially tax-efficient, does the contribution get matched, etc)? If there's no specific benefit, it's probably best to shop around and find a private pension that offers a good balance of risk profile, cost and return.

This will be super dependent on your personal circumstances though and you really might do best talking things through with an actual financial adviser to make sure you're covered for effectively retiring now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

Do you get any particular benefits for contributing to that pension (eg is it especially tax-efficient, does the contribution get matched, etc)? If there's no specific benefit, it's probably best to shop around and find a private pension that offers a good balance of risk profile, cost and return.

This will be super dependent on your personal circumstances though and you really might do best talking things through with an actual financial adviser to make sure you're covered for effectively retiring now

Belated thanks for the info/insight. :tipshat:

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Crankit posted:

Thanks to being an idiot and some other stuff I didn't have any money, I recently started a new job and I want to be a bit more financially responsible. I'm 38 and have an old company pension pot with about 15k in it.

I've put some money into a LISA now (moneybox) but for next years LISA contributions does it basically make more sense to put money in it just before the end of the tax year?
I'm auto-enrolled in the company pension scheme where they pay some amount into my penstion along with my contribution and I've still got a smallish emergency fund in my bank account at the moment but I need to replace my car in the 2-3 months. I think the company has a sharesave scheme but I'm not in that.

How would you be planning your finances at this point? I'm thinking I'll accumulate money in my current account until I can replace my car and still have a small emergency fund, should I enquire about increasing pension contributions and joining the sharesave after I've replaced my car. Once that is taken care of should I move some of that emergency fund into premium bonds, that will slowly accrue some "interest" but still allow fast access without penalties, and then when thats taken care of would my next savings thing be to do a stocks and shares ISA? I'm thinking the lowest fee tracker type thing, at the moment I want to be low risk.

It's always worth checking the contribution criteria for your company pension scheme, it's sadly not uncommon for 'auto-enrolled' employees to get worse terms than those who elect to join the scheme based on how it was set up at the point of launch.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Real basic question about bank accounts, with the marcus account it pays interest monthly i think, but does it track how long each pound has been in the account? If I put in my next paycheck before 30 days is up will that garner interest too or will that money have had to be in the account for a month?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Interest is calculated daily, paid monthly. So any deposits start earning interest as soon as you put the money in.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

When I change jobs should I merge my old pension into my new one or just leave it? Is there any practical difference either way?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The common practise is to have your existing work pension, which you often can't move about. And all your past pensions consolidated into one.

That way you only have 2 to manage.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There's probably very little practical difference, unless one of the pots is being nibbled to death by maintenance fees. Some providers have benefits besides the pot itself, as long as you have a pot with them - lose a finger and you're paid £, lose a foot and you're paid £££, that sort of thing - so it's worth checking your plan documents, as if you transfer it into Vanguard or something you'll almost certainly lose that benefit.

Me personally, I went and rolled-up my old inactive pots into a single Vanguard pot, for the sake of having 'my pension' that I could top-up and treat as my own dragon hoard, separate from 'my current work pension'.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Doesn't it depend somewhat on the terms of the pension? It probably doesn't apply to that many people but some much older pensions have much more generous terms and payouts than newer ones. This is something I have only just started looking at myself so don't count this as more than a question too.

Edit: Is there somewhere you can search to find all pensions with your name on it?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Touchdown Boy posted:

Doesn't it depend somewhat on the terms of the pension? It probably doesn't apply to that many people but some much older pensions have much more generous terms and payouts than newer ones. This is something I have only just started looking at myself so don't count this as more than a question too.

Edit: Is there somewhere you can search to find all pensions with your name on it?

Yeah - https://www.gov.uk/find-pension-contact-details - be prepared to talk to scheme administrators and have your employment details to hand. I chased a bunch up for a client just a couple of weeks ago.

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

From the OP:

quote:

Plan 2 - Started your course after 1st September 2012 and studied in England or Wales
From the April after you graduated or left your course you will pay back 9% of any pre-tax income over £27,288 (for FY 21/22) These loans are historically the more usurious ones that currently charge interest at 3% PLUS RPI inflation (currently 2.6%) for a total of 5.6%. This year (2021/22) if you earn less than £49,130 the interest rate is somewhat relaxed depending on your actual income, down to an inflation only rate if you earn less than the £27,288 repayment trigger. So

If you earn LESS than £27,288 don't worry about repayment, it'll be 2.6% and you won't repay anything until you start earning above the threshold
If you earn between £27,288 and £49,130 check the student loans repayment site and see how far on the sliding scale you are being stung for. If the repayment interest is above 4% AND you have no other debt over 4% AND you can afford it then it's better to start paying down at a more aggressive rate
If you earn MORE than £49,130 you're being hit for the full 5.6% rate so it's more beneficial to pay this off as a high priority debt.

Plan 2 loans are forgiven after 30 years from the April you graduated or left your course, so don't worry too much about them if you're earning below the full rate threshold.

Note that for all student loans the amount you pay is calculated from your gross reported income (after any Salary Sacrificed Pension Contributions) and removed from your net income (after Income Tax and National Insurance are deducted)

Does the arithmetic for this change with the student loan interest rate going up to 12% by the looks of things?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

While not directly answering your question, its important to note there is a fall back law on the student loan interest being higher than commercial ones. That will (in theory) come into effect in March next year, so interest rates will drop back down to 7% then.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Yes I've not updated that for FY22/23 yet, will do when I get some time, as well as the new National Insurance hikes Health and Social Care Levy

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I already have a moneybox app/account as it's how I set up my LISA, I was going to set up an S&S ISA with em but then I saw they charge a £1 a month fee and then some percentages too and I thought if I'm only paying in £50 a month that'd probably wipe out any growth I'd get. I'm only looking to build up a bit of a nest egg over a fairly long term (10+ years).

I then looked at Nutmeg and started setting up an S&S ISA with them as their calculator said their fees would come to a total of £11 a year which seemed cheaper, I was at work so I couldn't transfer any money into at the time. Then I saw the thread recommendation seems to be vanguard. Since I started opening an ISA with them am I tied to them until next year or because I didn't pay into it could I change my mind. Also is there a very simple explainer for S&S isa fees as they seem complex to me, I've never done anything with stocks and shares before so all the ETF terms and percentages are very confusing.

I think I just want a low risk thing, but if I want to do this over a long time am I better going with slightly higher risk at the start and then lowering it over time? Nutmeg was mentioning stocks vs bonds and I just thought I'd go with a tracker I don't really understand most of this :(

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If nutmeg allow you to cancel the ISA (within 14 days of opening etc), then yes you can close it and open one with vanguard. If they don't then you are out of luck until next April.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't know if anyone knows enough about UK tax on here! Do not particularly want to contact HMRC just now because I do not have the time to spend 3 hours on the phone going round in circles with their call centres who never seem to know anything and give incorrect information, and the webmessaging function does not seem to be available now.

Was self-employed (but not earning a lot << personal allowance!) and complete annual self-assessment (I use cash basis).

Since April 2021 have been employed on a temporary p/t contract now extended to end of December 2022.

Have not earned any self-employed income during that time, however I HAVE still incurred expenditure because certain things have to be kept up (eg website hosting, professional registrations etc) in case the temporary contract is not renewed (charity sector so totally depends on whether the charity can afford it) and also costs for things I had committed to prior to being given the employment contract. These aren't things I can just drop and pick up again "as and when".

Even though I have not earned any self-employed income in tax year 2021-22, can I still put the losses down and carry over loss from previous year (covid etc)?

Thanks for any assistance / links etc.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 14, 2022

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Anyone know about Capital Gains Tax?

Mrs Clarence's parents had a house in France that was partly in her name. It's now sold for a pittance and she has received her share.
It's outside the UK so the selling property in the UK thing doesn't apply.
It's also less than the £12,300 Tax Free Allowance. This implies that there is nothing to pay, but does it still have to be reported even if there is nothing to pay?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Clarence posted:

Anyone know about Capital Gains Tax?

Mrs Clarence's parents had a house in France that was partly in her name. It's now sold for a pittance and she has received her share.
It's outside the UK so the selling property in the UK thing doesn't apply.
It's also less than the £12,300 Tax Free Allowance. This implies that there is nothing to pay, but does it still have to be reported even if there is nothing to pay?

Have a read of this:
seems like you have to report it but won't have to pay anything (caveat: I'm not a financial adviser or tax expert!)

https://www.frenchentree.com/french-property/do-i-have-to-pay-capital-gains-tax-when-i-sell-my-home-in-france/

Don't know what the French authorities might want though!

https://www.furleypage.co.uk/insights/law-updates/french-capital-gains-tax-on-the-sale-of-a-french-property-what-you-need-to-know-2020

Frenchtree link ^^^ has a worked example.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 26, 2022

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Hey all, looking for some advice about RSU's (restricted stock units). I've been advised it's likely better to leave them as they are after they vest, as the stock value will hold better than a bank account vs inflation - but I'm concerned that if the company for some reason goes under or I lose my job I'd lose the RSU's, so I'd rather take them under my own control as soon as they vest. I'm a couple of years into a LISA so I'm good on that front, so where is the next best place to put them - stocks and shares ISA?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Negotiate a compensation package that doesn't include RSUs is my template for the alarmingly-increasing number of people phoning me to ask about their RSUs. If those shares are so valuable, why are they giving them away? :v:

If that isn't an option, vest them and put them straight into a personal pension and benefit from the immediate 25% uplift in the form of basic rate income tax relief. Regardless of anything else, you're holding shares in an entity you're not close enough to have any control or meaningful tax-relief (e.g. entrepreneur's relief) on and yet close enough to not be objective about.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sell them and and buy an indexed ETF. There is no favourable tax treatment in the UK for holding a security long term. You are already risking your salary on the success of your company, don’t risk your life savings too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

qhat posted:

Sell them and and buy an indexed ETF. There is no favourable tax treatment in the UK for holding a security long term. You are already risking your salary on the success of your company, don’t risk your life savings too.

To add to this, I'd bet a crisp fiver that the RSUs are a specific share class that pays no dividend either.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

qhat posted:

It's this. Always sell on vest.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

qhat posted:

That's not quite true. Might be for RSU or whatever the heck the new hotness is but at least for what the company I work at offers a number of share awards become free of tax implications if held for I believe 5 years.

Unless that's the company saying hold for 5 and we'll cover any tax? I haven't looked that closely.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

That's not quite true. Might be for RSU or whatever the heck the new hotness is but at least for what the company I work at offers a number of share awards become free of tax implications if held for I believe 5 years.

Unless that's the company saying hold for 5 and we'll cover any tax? I haven't looked that closely.

Everything after the "unless." Holding a security for 5 years doesn't magic away the HMRC gremlin and share capital in the company that you are an employee at is at best a golden handcuff and at worst a garbage fob off.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Thanks all :) I'm entry level at this company and too new for even the first round of RSUs to have vested yet, so renegotiation isn't an option. I'll definitely take control of them as they become available over the next few years and stick them in a low-risk fund as advised, thank you.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hello everyone. I'd like to open a Stocks and Shares ISA as I've been told they're fairly sound investments. I'm a dual citizen (thanks dad) which means I have to open with Hargreaves Lansdown. I am a complete a total newbie to this - I grew up pretty poor and personal finance stuff just sends waves of anxiety throughout my body. When I become a customer with HL, do I need to have an idea of where to put my money right away? I want to put the £2500 I have to spare in a S&S ISA, but really have no idea where to start and find myself getting a bit confused and stressed when trying to google this and learn more. Any and all advice is greatly welcomed and very, very appreciated!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Calico Heart posted:

Hello everyone. I'd like to open a Stocks and Shares ISA as I've been told they're fairly sound investments. I'm a dual citizen (thanks dad) which means I have to open with Hargreaves Lansdown. I am a complete a total newbie to this - I grew up pretty poor and personal finance stuff just sends waves of anxiety throughout my body. When I become a customer with HL, do I need to have an idea of where to put my money right away? I want to put the £2500 I have to spare in a S&S ISA, but really have no idea where to start and find myself getting a bit confused and stressed when trying to google this and learn more. Any and all advice is greatly welcomed and very, very appreciated!

Why not call them, they're pretty helpful! I think you can just hold as cash until you want to invest.

But remember what goes up can go down. I had £7k in an S&S Isa back in 2007, by late 2008 it was £4k and took about 4 years to climb back up to £7k.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Calico Heart posted:

You might get value from Nutmeg or Moneyfarm instead. Fees are a little higher but you just send them money and don’t need to make any decisions about what to invest in.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

peanut- posted:

You might get value from Nutmeg or Moneyfarm instead. Fees are a little higher but you just send them money and don’t need to make any decisions about what to invest in.

Unfortunately because my stupid dad is American (I have been there twice in my life), I am a US Citizen and cannot join moneyfarm or nutmeg. This is a shame because I have such limited knowledge on the topic and would love to invest without needing to be in charge of the decisions, haha.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Calico Heart posted:

Unfortunately because my stupid dad is American (I have been there twice in my life), I am a US Citizen and cannot join moneyfarm or nutmeg. This is a shame because I have such limited knowledge on the topic and would love to invest without needing to be in charge of the decisions, haha.

Are you allowed to purchase premium bonds? You'll lose money immediately in an s&s isa (as the world is on fire), and even the occasional premium bond win will mean you make more than you would from any other kind of account going.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Perfect Element posted:

Are you allowed to purchase premium bonds? You'll lose money immediately in an s&s isa (as the world is on fire), and even the occasional premium bond win will mean you make more than you would from any other kind of account going.

if if if

Premium Bonds have always been dogshit for the vast majority of people. Giving your money to the government for no interest on the vague premise you might win a prize is terrible advice, especially so in an environment of over 9% inflation when you can get 1.3% on a Marcus online saver account and I'm sure you can find better if you look for it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Calico Heart posted:

Are you sure? I’m also a dual citizen (keep meaning to get rid of it for exactly these reasons) and Moneyfarm was one of the only ones that would let me invest with them

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

TACD posted:

Are you sure? I’m also a dual citizen (keep meaning to get rid of it for exactly these reasons) and Moneyfarm was one of the only ones that would let me invest with them

Went through portfolio creation just now only to be told "Unfortunately, we are not allowed to provide our services to US persons". :smith:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well that sucks, sorry (and I look forward to them unceremoniously closing my ISA at some point)

Christ, gently caress the US

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Charles Leclerc posted:

if if if

Premium Bonds have always been dogshit for the vast majority of people. Giving your money to the government for no interest on the vague premise you might win a prize is terrible advice, especially so in an environment of over 9% inflation when you can get 1.3% on a Marcus online saver account and I'm sure you can find better if you look for it.

I guess I am just biased due to my own good luck. I've had money in bonds since January, and have won £175 accumulatively since then.

The on the flip side, I invested some inheritance money in a vanguard s&s isa earlier this year and that's hovering around -7% down (I realise this is a long term investment etc etc).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

TACD posted:

Well that sucks, sorry (and I look forward to them unceremoniously closing my ISA at some point)

Christ, gently caress the US

I'm going to take a swinging wild rear end guess that it's down to FATCA. It's a pain in the loving dick.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with credit unions? I am in a fortunate position where I should be able to absorb the cost of living rises with a little money left over. I was thinking of putting it into a credit union rather than a big bank, so that the money gets loaned out to someone who actually needs it (and not fund some rich rear end in a top hat's mortgage or margin account or whatever).

My local credit union seems to have extremely expensive loans though (42.6% APR). That seems almost predatory, but maybe that's what they need to cover their costs? I'm also eligible to join a postal workers credit union which has much more competitive loan rates, but I am guessing they are a smaller union that's not open to a lot of people who need access to loans.

I guess I just want to know if there are any red flags I should look out for before I join one of these.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Crisis posted:

Does anyone have any experience with credit unions? I am in a fortunate position where I should be able to absorb the cost of living rises with a little money left over. I was thinking of putting it into a credit union rather than a big bank, so that the money gets loaned out to someone who actually needs it (and not fund some rich rear end in a top hat's mortgage or margin account or whatever).

My local credit union seems to have extremely expensive loans though (42.6% APR). That seems almost predatory, but maybe that's what they need to cover their costs? I'm also eligible to join a postal workers credit union which has much more competitive loan rates, but I am guessing they are a smaller union that's not open to a lot of people who need access to loans.

I guess I just want to know if there are any red flags I should look out for before I join one of these.

That APR is for small loans and compared to the sharks offering payday loans is very competitive. They're not charging that rate on loans of, say, £2,000 where it would be unconscionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010

Charles Leclerc posted:

That APR is for small loans and compared to the sharks offering payday loans is very competitive. They're not charging that rate on loans of, say, £2,000 where it would be unconscionable.

Actually that does seem to be their standard loan rate even for bigger loans, up to £2000. E.g. from the home improvements loan page:

Borrowing £2,000 over 24 months will cost £118.11/Month. Total amount repayable is £2,834.64 which includes interest at 42.6% APR.

Above £2000 the interest rate falls to "only" 26.8% APR.