Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ex post facho posted:

So Clarence just authored a majority opinion that all federal law enforcement is basically immune from civil suits, essentially overturning Bivens?

Pretty cool

Preeeeeeeeety cooooooolllll

he basically says they are not overturning Bivens now but they will get around to doing that eventually

quote:

Since it was decided, Bivens has had no shortage of detractors. See, e.g., Bivens, 403 U. S., at 411 (Burger, C. J., dissenting); id., at 427 (Black, J., dissenting); id., at 430 (Blackmun, J., dissenting); Carlson, 446 U. S., at 31 (Rehnquist, J., dissenting); Malesko, 534 U. S., at 75 (Scalia, J., concurring); Hernández, 589 U. S., at ___ (THOMAS, J., concurring) (slip op., at 1); post, at 1–3 (opinion of GORSUCH, J.). And, more recently, we have indicated that if we were called to decide Bivens today, we would decline to discover any implied causes of action in the Constitution. See Ziglar, 582 U. S., at ___ (slip op., at 11). But, to decide the case before us, we need not reconsider Bivens itself. Accordingly, we reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

LOOOOSSSSSEEERS

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ex post facho posted:

So Clarence just authored a majority opinion that all federal law enforcement is basically immune from civil suits, essentially overturning Bivens?

Pretty cool

Preeeeeeeeety cooooooolllll

Lol at the libs studiously ignoring this so they don’t have to pretend to be shocked when Biden says it’s good

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/diazbriseno/status/1534546293128892416?s=20&t=98JOF_EXF2vuPJcxZtpc2A

This week really feels like the US crashing into reality that it has neighbors in this hemisphere after months of playing war in Europe.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/diazbriseno/status/1534546293128892416?s=20&t=98JOF_EXF2vuPJcxZtpc2A

This week really feels like the US crashing into reality that it has neighbors in this hemisphere after months of playing war in Europe.

a new rotating villain appears!

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Cool to see D&D moderation is back to probing the poo poo out of anyone who doesn't sing Democrat's praises

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

But like 25-pages ago folks were talking about how they do have the ability to lean on Manchin and use leverage. I don't disbelieve it - it definitely feels like more could be done and it's silly they're throwing their hands up and shrugging - but I don't know much about certain aspects of politics, especially in the senate/congress, and was wondering what that leverage or leaning on him actually looks like in practice. Is there some sort of sanctioning they can do?

In addition to what other people said, look what happened to AOC when she indicated she would vote against more military funding for Israel,
she was made to change her vote from no to present as she sobbed on the house floor

Or look up how Biden's signature Build Back Better bill failed last year. It was split off from the infrastructure bill supposedly to get Republican support for the infrastructure stuff with the promise that they would both be passed together. So the congressional progressive caucus said, quite sensibly, "ok then we will hold up the infrastructure bill until BBB passes into law to ensure that Joe Manchin doesn't get his infrastructure and then turn around and sink BBB." Makes sense right, put some leverage on Manchin, if he wants infrastructure he's got to pass all the social welfare stuff too.

And what happened, Biden came down on them like a ton of bricks and forced them to vote for the infrastructure bill alone and Manchin immediately killed BBB once he got his bill through. Showing two things: 1) Biden and the leadership can whip votes when they want to, they just use it against progressives and not the moderates, and 2) when they did have leverage over Manchin the leadership didn't use it and chose instead to fight their agenda's own supporters to force them to give it all up and undermine the administration's own negotiating position with Manchin and Sinema

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Tiny Myers posted:

Hi, I'm kind of new to C-SPAM but I've been lurking this thread. It's really interesting seeing the discussions in here but some things I don't understand and I'd like to become more politically radicalized without bothering anybody or imposing. Is there any sort of good place to ask stupid small questions? A thread or discord? Would here be OK? Thank you.

This probably sounds like a troll or something but I swear it's genuine. I've tried to stay politically active and learn but there's gaps in my knowledge and it's hard for me to know where to start learning stuff, to be honest, because there's so much misinfo or people making lovely excuses or straight up lying. But people here generally seem to know what's what.

Like, an example question: I was led to believe that the democrats' hands are largely tied when it comes to getting stuff passed due to Manchin and Sinema. But like 25-pages ago folks were talking about how they do have the ability to lean on Manchin and use leverage. I don't disbelieve it - it definitely feels like more could be done and it's silly they're throwing their hands up and shrugging - but I don't know much about certain aspects of politics, especially in the senate/congress, and was wondering what that leverage or leaning on him actually looks like in practice. Is there some sort of sanctioning they can do?

Again, I swear I'm genuine, I just want to learn. :ohdear:

(P.S. What does SUCC stand for?)
here's some required reading from the c-spam crack ping cinematic universe: https://www.blackagendareport.com/oil_and_global_capitalist_crisis

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
you should just ask questions in the succ thread IMO that's what I do.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

WampaLord posted:

a new rotating villain appears!

Bob Menendez was and is always a villain and plainly corrupt

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Like, an example question: I was led to believe that the democrats' hands are largely tied when it comes to getting stuff passed due to Manchin and Sinema.

There are likely 23-30, if not more democrat party politicians actually against any bit of legislation at any time. They simply don't discuss it publicly and vote as directed, because the legislation won't pass due to 3-4 politicians guaranteed to tank it.

This isn't a conspiracy. Politicians are old, and secure in their job prospects and wealth. New legislation rocks the boat too much.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

guidoanselmi posted:

Bob Menendez was and is always a villain and plainly corrupt
he reportedly likes any bribes given to him be presented in the traditional large bag with a dollar sign

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

joepinetree posted:

Regarding the last few pages, here's what people have to understand: the role of the Democratic party is to stop the left. Not as a side benefit, but as the main objective. Now, lots of ink has been spilled on whether things are rigged, but the rigged debate is mostly about semantics and doesn't matter. The goal is to stop the left, and get people nice careers while doing it. Consider the following:

- look at Biden s and Obama's early endorsements. Most of the time it's in safe blue districts where a centrist is running against a leftist. Biden endorsed someone in Oregon who kept voting against his "agenda."

- go to open secrets (the website) and look for the most expensive races this cycle. They are all in safe blue districts where a centrist is running against a further left candidate.

So as we are about to have the "most important election in our lives where democracy is on the ballot" what does it say that the entirety of the effort is on stopping leftist challenges?

Next, let's think back to 2020.

- where the people responsible for the Iowa fiasco punished, or were they promoted to more influential positions? What does that tell you about whether it was a gently caress up or intentional?

- normally, delegates to the convention are assigned based on primaries. So someone can lose and still have lots of delegates in the convention. 2020 was the first time where Democrats considered suspended campaigns as withdrawn. So go look up who won the most delegates in Iowa or Colorado, for example.

Of course, losing his delegates wasn't enough. At the convention, delegates for Bernie were told that if they even proposed that 2024 have longer early voting or more polling stations for the primaries that the majority would change the rules to free super delegates in the first round of voting. Bernie's delegates had to promise not to propose expanded primary voting in order to extend the "super delegates are bound by results on first ballot" and that is for 2024 only. Note that it wasn't even about extended voting passing, but being proposed at all.

Keep all that in mind when people talk about democracy being on the ballot.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat theres still hella aocsimps

i wonder if theres still pelosimps for nancy from like when she promised universal healthcare half a century ago or whatever

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Atrocious Joe posted:

he basically says they are not overturning Bivens now but they will get around to doing that eventually

ELI5

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

papa horny michael posted:

Like, an example question: I was led to believe that the democrats' hands are largely tied when it comes to getting stuff passed due to Manchin and Sinema.

There are likely 23-30, if not more democrat party politicians actually against any bit of legislation at any time. They simply don't discuss it publicly and vote as directed, because the legislation won't pass due to 3-4 politicians guaranteed to tank it.

This isn't a conspiracy. Politicians are old, and secure in their job prospects and wealth. New legislation rocks the boat too much.

look at the minimum wage fiasco

schumer took it out at the behest of republicans, it failed the 60 vote margin to be put back in and then for the later reconciliation bill the parliamentarian ruled it wasn't allowed and so the dems kept it out lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fits my needs posted:

drat theres still hella aocsimps

i wonder if theres still pelosimps for nancy from like when she promised universal healthcare half a century ago or whatever

run before someone posts their twitter accounts

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

Cool to see D&D moderation is back to probing the poo poo out of anyone who doesn't sing Democrat's praises

They can't go back to it because they never stopped doing that. 10,000 pinnochios. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

run before someone posts their twitter accounts

I found a Zapruder Tweet

https://twitter.com/azapruder/status/1080852469893287936

e: wow she’s literally his granddaughter https://www.pilotonline.com/entertainment/books/article_664534ee-73f9-58c6-aaae-91ee7e011c1d.html

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ex post facho posted:

The Supreme Court is not a legitimate institution

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

what was that terrible twitter account that called itself like "pelosi's #1 fan" or something similar

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
One could say that the Democrats are... Tokin opposition???

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The good cop/bad cop model is another useful framework for the new posters to apply to their political understanding

Trabisnikof posted:

what was that terrible twitter account that called itself like "pelosi's #1 fan" or something similar

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he had a couple different accounts because he was a lunatic who kept getting banned but the one he had for a long time was something like "Pelosi Force Five"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol truly imagine for a moment if a trump press sec did this

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ex post facho posted:

The Supreme Court is not a legitimate institution

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

juan watto

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Juan Guaido is the rightful president of Brazil. It's U.S. policy now, no takebacks

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Don't delete you pussies

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

loving liberals dude

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

yeah and there’s another down the line coming saying that they dont have to read you your rights anymore lmao

My prediction with the public defender funding crisis popping up is that they get rid of court appointed lawyers for the indigent within five years

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

My prediction with the public defender funding crisis popping up is that they get rid of court appointed lawyers for the indigent within five years

im legit surprised this hasnt happened already

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

lol truly imagine for a moment if a trump press sec did this

i was wondering if she doesnt actually know who juan guaido is of she just messed up reading some poo poo under pressure (not uncommon) and while her resume is certainly suspect she did indeed goto COLUMBIA so..... idk. im leaning towards "dumbass" but im probably wrong.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

my thought exactly

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Smythe posted:

i was wondering if she doesnt actually know who juan guaido is of she just messed up reading some poo poo under pressure (not uncommon) and while her resume is certainly suspect she did indeed goto COLUMBIA so..... idk. im leaning towards "dumbass" but im probably wrong.

probably had some talking points prepared about guiado because she expected to be asked about it because of the cuba invitation and blurted it out because she wasn't expecting to be asked about bolsonaro

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Azathoth posted:

probably had some talking points prepared about guiado because she expected to be asked about it because of the cuba invitation and blurted it out because she wasn't expecting to be asked about bolsonaro

im not sure i could talk about bolsonaro without just spamming "covid. ostrich. covid. ostrich"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Smythe posted:

im not sure i could talk about bolsonaro without just spamming "covid. ostrich. covid. ostrich"

don't forget pooping out his nose

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Azathoth posted:

don't forget pooping out his nose

i did forget. thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Smythe posted:

https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/status/1329113457694830597