Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ross, Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to think of announcers I liked less than Lawler, and not coming up with anything.

Fuckin Mark Madden. Ed Ferrara in TNA. Most bad commentators I can tune out if they're just standard bad commentators but those two were the worst. Main roster Corey Graves comes close as does Pat McAfee.

I think I'd have to go with Heenan, Tony, and Excalibur if they were all in their primes. Maybe swap Excal for Joey Styles. I'd almost go with a Heenan/Monsoon combo but Monsoon had hits and misses at times.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan and "Iron" Mike Tenay. (Larry Zbyszko in the first hour.)

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

I think I’ll go with Heenan as the heel, Kevin Kelly as the face, and Excalibur as the knowledge base.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Fuckin Mark Madden. Ed Ferrara in TNA. Most bad commentators I can tune out if they're just standard bad commentators but those two were the worst.
They were certainly terrible, but have you considered THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES! In the most annoying voice ever possessed by a human whose initials don't contain two J's

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thanks to that video of Killer Kross doing an amazing Jesse Ventura impression, I am thinking Jesse and Excalibur would have been an amazing combination

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

They were certainly terrible, but have you considered THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES! THE PUPPIES! In the most annoying voice ever possessed by a human whose initials don't contain two J's

I have, but Madden was horny and gross on another level entirely and Ferrara was (as I recall) terrible as a baseline and also wildly and overtly sexist in a different way than Lawler. They're all very bad, just different shades of the same pile of poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I will say that Jesse is a VERY close second to Heenan as the heel. Brain was good at a lot of things but Jesse was really good at being an rear end in a top hat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jesse was still really good when they brought him back for that reunion Raw in 2010, enough so you could tell Vince was incredibly annoyed that Jesse was talking circles around him on commentary

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's your ideal three person commentary team? My limited experience goes right to prime Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay. King and Ross had a great dynamic but King is really gross.

My gold standard is still Kevin Kelly, Chris Charlton and Rocky Romero, followed by Kevin, Chris and Chuck Taylor (or ELP, or Chris Sabin). So really those two guys with a wrestler for color, Kevin does the play by play and Chris gives us history and promo translations

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
3 people on commentary is too much

Give me Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan or Gorilla Monsoon and Jesse Ventura

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Rewatches through 90s Nitro I don't really like Heenan or Steve McMichael on commentary but I actually like Eric Bischoff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Fuckin Mark Madden. Ed Ferrara in TNA. Most bad commentators I can tune out if they're just standard bad commentators but those two were the worst. Main roster Corey Graves comes close as does Pat McAfee.

I think I'd have to go with Heenan, Tony, and Excalibur if they were all in their primes. Maybe swap Excal for Joey Styles. I'd almost go with a Heenan/Monsoon combo but Monsoon had hits and misses at times.

I'd say that maybe don't swap out Excalibur, Joey Styles is kind of rough if you actually go back & watch ECW.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's your ideal three person commentary team? My limited experience goes right to prime Jim Ross, Bobby Heenan, and Mike Tenay. King and Ross had a great dynamic but King is really gross.

This is not the greatest commentary team of all time, but it there was something about Larry Sweeney & Ultramantis Black on commentary in Chikara which was always enjoyable. As for a play-by-play guy to put them with, Excalibur is the best.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Going back and listening to Monsoon now is uncomfortable for how often he feels the need to joke about ongoing child molestation live on air.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Give me Kevin Gill, Chris Brookes, and Taz

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Excalibur/Taz/Chuck Taylor or Excalibur/Taz/A Chuck Taylor Cardboard Cutout that Taz and Ex are forced to pretend is real.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my ideal team is someone who knows all the moves, someone who knows what's going on out in the streets today, and someone who says 30 words per show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Any territories era heads, what can you tell me about a WWWF on MSG Network match between Bob Backlund & Greg Valentine from 19/2/1979? I was looking on Cagematch at the top rated WWE matches on there out to see what I'd put above Cena Umaga Last Man Standing & I noticed that this was the top ranked WWWF/WWF/WWE match on there. In fact it's the 15th highest rated match of all time, & everyone who has rated it has given it a 10. And yet I don't remember having ever heard of it before this. So does anyone know the deal with this? Didn't just appear on the WWE Network/Peacock recently? Because the oldest review on Cagematch is from last year, but 11 of the 13 reviews are from this year. Was someone pimping it on a podcast or something?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

my ideal team is someone who knows all the moves, someone who knows what's going on out in the streets today, and someone who says 30 words per show

Excalibur, Taz, and Mark Henry?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't know

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

King is too gross to overlook, Monsoon is too gross to overlook, so I'm going to go largely in line with the thread consensus and say JR, Heenan and Excalibur. If I get a second team for the secondary show, give me Excalibur again with Schiavone and Ventura.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rob Bartlett and Corey Graves imo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It'd be interesting to see how Ventura would interplay with Excalibur, a big part of his shtick is admonishing pbp guys for having never been in the ring which he couldn't pull with Ex

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I actually immediately envisioned him berating Excalibur for not having been in the ring with "real men back in the day" so clearly this pairing is developing nicely

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ventura keeps on making GBS threads on excalibur for not being in the ring and excalibur mentions a match he was in where something similar happened to whatever he was talking about. ventura says, "horse poo poo" afterward, uncensored. that's a good bit to do over and over. horse poo poo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cavauro posted:

ventura keeps on making GBS threads on excalibur for not being in the ring and excalibur mentions a match he was in where something similar happened to whatever he was talking about. ventura says, "horse poo poo" afterward, uncensored. that's a good bit to do over and over. horse poo poo

Yeah that's good

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Ventura: You may have been in the ring but were you any good?

Excalibur: Were you?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How was Ventura as a wrestler? I don't think I've ever seen a match of his. And were he and Hogan purposely kept away from one another? I know they couldn't wrestle because Jesse was retired, but I've never even seen clips of him interviewing Hogan or anything.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What similar stories are there to Bret and DBry where their technical work overcame any limitation in character work or the stories they where given to basically propel them into main event level stuff instead of ending up as king of the midcard that people like Mr. Perfect where relegated to.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How was Ventura as a wrestler? I don't think I've ever seen a match of his. And were he and Hogan purposely kept away from one another? I know they couldn't wrestle because Jesse was retired, but I've never even seen clips of him interviewing Hogan or anything.

Jesse was, like Hogan, a carbon copy of Superstar Graham. Great physique, good talker, kinda bleh/outright bad in the ring.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Morrisons Starship Pain was innovated in his time there.
Did he also innovate Moonlight Drive? I don't recall anyone doing that variation of a rolling neckbreaker before him.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I have, but Madden was horny and gross on another level entirely and Ferrara was (as I recall) terrible as a baseline and also wildly and overtly sexist in a different way than Lawler. They're all very bad, just different shades of the same pile of poo poo.
Larry Dallas is also in this category because he just can't stop making gross comments - even in promotions where a heel color guy doesn't fit the tone at all - but even he's pretty tame compared to Lawler.

But my pet hatred is Matt Striker. In addition to being utterly irritating with his dumb obscure references, and waxing poetic to prove how educated he is, he also doesn't do his research on the wrestlers so a lot of his commentary is pure bullshit. AND he's a QAnon conspiracy idiot on top of all that. Impact got noticeably more watchable after they axed him from the table.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

What would be the worst possible combination at the commentary table? My vote is: Matt Striker on play by play, Stevie Ray and Mark Madden in the 2nd and 3rd seat

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 8, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I feel like you need someone else doing PBP so that Striker can focus on his longwinded references to geeky poo poo that don't put anyone over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

What would be the worst possible combination at the commentary table? My vote is: Matt Striker on play by play, Stevie Ray and Mark Madden in the 2nd and 3rd seat

Zybysko, King, Gorilla. That's two heels so kinda cheating but

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Cole, Lawler, and that bald guy on RAW who looks like great value Joe Rogan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pinche Rudo posted:

Vince on pbp, Madden and Steve McMichael on color

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Larry Zybysko on PBP
Michael Cole on colour
Matt Stryker trying to do both as well at the same time

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’d love to see Ranallo do a guest spot for a AEW show. He’s not an all the time commentator, but he’s good to have as a treat on occasion. Forbidden Door would be a good one for him. He’d really sell the New Japan guys to the segment of the audience that doesn’t know who they are.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pinche Rudo posted:

I think the worst combo already happened at least once and it was Shane McMahon and Jim Cornette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Heel Cole was the worst announcer I have ever seen. Like there are bad announcers, and then there's this guy going an entire show nonstop yelling about how it all sucks why is anyone watching