Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If they traded Pastrnak for just the #2 I'd stop watching the Bruins. It'd have to be like Hischier, #2, and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pastrnak for just the #2 would be lol so bad for the Bruins

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

... debatably? What's the debate?

He's 26.

The #2 slot doesn't look unanimously good this year though so probably worth it

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

He turned 26 like a week ago so while you're correct, he's not "old" - he's still in the prime of his career and will be for the foreseeable future. McDavid and Matthews are 25. He's right with that age group.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He turned 26 like a week ago so while you're correct, he's not "old" - he's still in the prime of his career and will be for the foreseeable future. McDavid and Matthews are 25. He's right with that age group.

Yeah I'm just saying if you're looking at like a Barkov or Svechnikov in the #2 overall slot maybe you think about it but that's not the case this year.

I don't think the Bruins would trade him straight up for that pick anyhow unless they've decided to tank

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The money that they would have to pay Pastrnak is part of the deal.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah I'm just saying if you're looking at like a Barkov or Svechnikov in the #2 overall slot maybe you think about it but that's not the case this year.

I don't think the Bruins would trade him straight up for that pick anyhow unless they've decided to tank

I mean, even then, if your goal is to compete soon then you want Pastrnak, not a guy who might be a Barkov or Svechnikov 4-5 years down the road. Pasta is one of the best goal scorers in the world. Since his breakout season only Ovechkin, Matthews, McDavid, and Draisaitl have scored more goals than him. If I thought my team was going to be contending soon, I would trade the #2 pick ++ for Pastrnak in a heartbeat.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The money that they would have to pay Pastrnak is part of the deal.

The right to pay him is worth more than what they pay him. He's a what top 10? 20? offensive player in the league and should be for another 5 or so years.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Pastrnak for just the #2 would be lol so bad for the Bruins

Yeah, but that #2 pick could be anything! It could even be a David Pastrnak!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Laine scored 44 goals in his 2nd season, and building on top tier ELCs is one way to win (in a brief window) but yeah, there's no Laine-level prospect this year, at #2 or #1.

With hindsight, if you'd traded a #2 OV for a 26-year-old, top 5-10 goalscorer, most years you'd do alright. 2016: Stamkos/Marchand (lol), 2017: Tarasenko/Atkinson, 2018: Seguin/Hall/Lee. Pastrnak now is one of the better examples from that group.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Didn't Pastrnak say he'd play for free a couple years ago? Maybe the Bruins are holding him to that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
if they trade Pasta, that is a full-on sign for a 1-year tank. With just now trading for Lindholm, I'm not sure it makes 100% unless they commit to it and start trying for a 2-3 year rebuild.

If they're trying to remain competitive still, then there's all kinds of interesting/fun hockey trades to make. Would not be surprised if Vancouver/JR tries to throw Miller (with an extension) or Horvat or Petersson at them. I think they'd regret that along the lines of the Seguin-Eriksson trade. Seems like without Bergeron, they'll be in dire need of centers, but I'm not sure of a team aside from Vancouver that really has one. Maybe they try to trade him for any young assets and then go after a free-agent center, but even then...I would be trying to maximize my lottery chances next year if I were them. They'll need talent soon. I think they're in the worst position out of TB/FLA/BOS/TOR to be overtaken by Buffalo/Detroit soon. I would not be surprised to see Buffalo make it over them next year, but I think Detroit is still a couple of years away. Montreal seems like they'll be in the tank this year, and I'm not sure Ottawa is going to be significantly better, either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Something like that. He grew up poor with a single mother so I remember him saying he was stoked about getting any kind of money for playing hockey. The nice thing about the Bruins too is they've managed to a develop this culture where players (at least the good ones) want to be career Bruins and take discounts, so I'm hoping he follows that path too.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I hope the tank jobs for improved Bedard positioning are blatant next year.

Just chaos for the last month of the season at the bottom.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The top like 5 picks almost never get traded and if they do it's typically just for another pick within that range (trading slightly up/down).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A one year tank is not really something you can do. The theory seems interesting--Marchand and McAvoy are both set to miss at least the first half of the season, a generational talent is up for grabs, maybe we can suck just for one year--but the Bruins still have too many good players. They'd have to really clear house and commit to being bad for several years, not just one, to actually get bad enough to compete with the Coyotes and Senators and Kraken (and probably Islanders) for lottery position. That's before considering other teams currently much worse than the Bruins that may choose to go full Tank Hard For Bedard like the Blackhawks, Flyers, Sharks, Ducks, or Jets. They'd have to hire Blashill or Bylsma or Yeo or someone like that with the full intent of firing them after one year. All that for like a 15% better chance at Bedard. Before even considering that it's all pointless because the league office is going to rig it for the Blackhawks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
re: Pastrnak -- Would have been interesting to have seen the kind of return Eichel would have gotten if he didn't have a hosed up neck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1534253187175452673?s=21&t=l1yyET80tSR5HL6l4B9i_Q

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

I love how the 2015 draft starts out exceptional, has an oopsies run of Crouse-Gurianov-the Boston 3 from picks 11-15, and then just keeps rocking immediately afterwards with Barzal-Connor-Chabot

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County
The Bruins have enjoyed such playoff success over the past decade that I don't think their fans care too much about it, but I laugh endlessly thinking of how they managed to gently caress up three straight picks so bad in such a stacked draft. (DeBrusk isn't a total bust though he doesn't look great sandwiched between Rantanen and Barzal)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy who did that won GM of the year like 3 years later lol

And this year may have forced out Pastrnak.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Keith Mars posted:

The Bruins have enjoyed such playoff success over the past decade that I don't think their fans care too much about it, but I laugh endlessly thinking of how they managed to gently caress up three straight picks so bad in such a stacked draft. (DeBrusk isn't a total bust though he doesn't look great sandwiched between Rantanen and Barzal)

Yea pretty much. It's hard to be too mad when they've been a playoff team for basically the last 15 years, three finals appearances (and one win), etc. We're overdue to be a bad team again. But man, that 2015 draft was rough. Debrusk was a bit of a reach that luckily panned out for the most part, although I didn't like it at the time. Zboril hasn't really panned out and looks like a depth guy, but at least he went in the range he was "supposed" to go in, so it really only looks bad in hindsight. Senyshen though...man that was bad. If they had picked just about anyone else who went after that in the first round they'd be in a very different situation now. You can even keep the Debrusk and Zboril picks the same and get any of Barzal, Conner, Boeser, etc., and no one would mention it today. The thing that bothers me about it in hindsight is that clearly their scouting staff wasn't, like, horrible. They got Carlo in the 2nd who is a very solid #3 defensive defenseman, Lauzon in the was also a 2nd pick and he's probably a 3rd pairing guy but still a NHL player, Vladar in the 3rd is a NHL level backup now. It just seems weird that they could hit on these later picks and get NHL regulars but not be able to correctly identify who to pick at 15.

I think the "Pastrnak is going to want to leave" stuff is overblown but I might also be lying to myself because I don't want to imagine a team where he's gone. If (or when, if it's not immediate) Bergeron retires and if/when Pastrnak leaves I'd honestly consider switching to whatever team gets him even after being a life-long Bruins fan, because the team that's left behind will not be particularly interesting.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

I love how the 2015 draft starts out exceptional, has an oopsies run of Crouse-Gurianov-the Boston 3 from picks 11-15, and then just keeps rocking immediately afterwards with Barzal-Connor-Chabot

The 2015 draft seems an outlier for how deep it was too. Sure, most of the first round picks end up playing hundreds of games, but you start going down that list and there's an above average number of players in the deeper rounds that are playing a lot of games and some very successfully. Not so for the few years before and not really after yet either.

But poking around the list did leave me to see Jacob Middleton as the last pick in 2014 and he's turning into a reasonably good player at defense. So so much of this is just a lottery and not just 1OA.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Eric the Mauve posted:

A one year tank is not really something you can do.

Hi did you watch the Montreal Canadiens this season

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I meant on purpose

edit: one year tanking on purpose I mean, I definitely did not watch the Montreal Canadiens on purpose this year

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Yeah Gurianov is a frustrating player.. he shows flashes of amazing skating ability and a howitzer of a shot, he's been a big asset on the PP at points in time and when he gets paired up with people who can cover for his deficiencies when he doesn't have the puck.. I'd say this is a last chance contract with a new coach, and if he doesn't get back on track it's another former Dallas 1st round pick flushed down the toilet.. he can go join Nichushkin in Colorado and put up a 70 point season.

**the thing that frustrates a lot of Dallas fans is when the Stars would go stretches (including in the playoffs) where they would get like 20 shots a game on average and score 0 or 1 goals in each game all while Gurianov and Jacob Peterson were regular healthy scratches.. like the team offense last year was at the same level (actually slightly worse at 5v5) than the likes of the Arizona Coyotes, Seattle Kraken and the Ottawa Senators... They kind of need to work with these kids and get them going or we are turbo hosed for the next 2 or 3 seasons minimum.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 7, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even with all the injuries, Taylor Hall will just do what he did in his MVP season and drag the team kicking and screaming to 15th place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks signed a man

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/1534285795946770432?s=20&t=b48zz-NIa9WIYdbI3AWUNQ

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Starsfan posted:

Yeah Gurianov is a frustrating player.. he shows flashes of amazing skating ability and a howitzer of a shot, he's been a big asset on the PP at points in time and when he gets paired up with people who can cover for his deficiencies when he doesn't have the puck.. I'd say this is a last chance contract with a new coach, and if he doesn't get back on track it's another former Dallas 1st round pick flushed down the toilet.. he can go join Nichushkin in Colorado and put up a 70 point season.

**the thing that frustrates a lot of Dallas fans is when the Stars would go stretches (including in the playoffs) where they would get like 20 shots a game on average and score 0 or 1 goals in each game all while Gurianov and Jacob Peterson were regular healthy scratches.. like the team offense last year was at the same level (actually slightly worse at 5v5) than the likes of the Arizona Coyotes, Seattle Kraken and the Ottawa Senators... They kind of need to work with these kids and get them going or we are turbo hosed for the next 2 or 3 seasons minimum.

Yeah, I feel like this team has the potential to pounce back and be a consistent wc team or completely fall apart and win 20 games. Gonna be interesting what awful choice for coach Nill lands on.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/ShutdownLine/status/1534613582838652929

Amazing chart.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Even more amazing how there are only 13 goalies on it? There doesn’t seem to be any limitations on which ones were selected by round or anything else?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my god i want to frame this

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Someone somewhere got paid lots of money to think "Lets go in to the playoffs with Mike Smith as our starting goalie. What could go wrong?".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Someone somewhere got paid lots of money to think "Lets go in to the playoffs with Mike Smith as our starting goalie. What could go wrong?".

Even better this was the 6th time he's been in the playoffs and absolutely nothing has changed about his game since 2010. And yet teams keep relying on him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Definitely should have signed someone like Markstrom intsead who definitely would have stolen a series.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Smith outplayed Markstrom, and the latter is a Vezina finalist. Clearly the Oilers need to keep Smith for at least another 5 seasons.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Definitely should have signed someone like Markstrom intsead who definitely would have stolen a series.

Holland tried to.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

Holland tried to.

Don't you dare ruin my joke

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/status/1534278960049270791?s=21&t=jYg4om0gGQxsqSCdWssrZA

This rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://mobile.twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1534325647300079616

Off the ice, sure. On the ice, uhhhhh