Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

Also Mutant Legion is boring. Five human factions, one of which is just "Japan wanted to be feudal again" along with one undead faction. The only thing that even looks mutant about it is those Razide things, which frankly look like someone messed with the .stl file of a Maxx figure, and are like space undead. Where's the mutants? Why is it called that?

Mutant Chronicles is one of those weird situations where it's actually based off of the 2nd edition version of Mutant that pivoted to cyberpunk and then another version that pivoted to space cyberpunk, and so it's largely divorced from the original game at this point, the name "Mutant" just becomes a brand name. It's like how Advanced Dungeons & Dragons spawned Ravenloft which became Masque of the Red Death, a Victorian horror setting with no dragons and precious few dungeons.

To be too fair to it, nearly every corporate faction is a wild national stereotype, complete with woad-painted Highlander warriors for the not-British Empire and football-helmeted soldiers for not-America. But yes, Mishima is worse; a gross 1990s stereotype of Japan as some weird techno-feudal state that has to talk about honor every third sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

theironjef posted:

Also Mutant Legion is boring. Five human factions, one of which is just "Japan wanted to be feudal again" along with one undead faction. The only thing that even looks mutant about it is those Razide things, which frankly look like someone messed with the .stl file of a Maxx figure, and are like space undead. Where's the mutants? Why is it called that?

It's semi hard sci-fi, which is pretty appealing from the days when not everybody was into aliens.

It's pretty much cyberpunk taken to its illogically stupid levels, and served as the tone template for much of where Warhammer ended up. It's also a vehicle for Simon Bisley art, which helps.

The whole game takes place in our solar system. the corporations and church are the main factions. The church is, of course Space Catholics - but the Space Lutherans are still at large on the apocalyptic Earth along with some monster hunter guys and a few other minor factions.

It definitely suffers from 90s sensitivities, but it's also got a lot of that same happy meal toy logic. One of the dark entities employs mobs of cyborg toddlers who beat you to death with rattles.

I haven't seen the movie but it has Ron Pearlman.

It would really loving benefit from being released as an all digital platform - print it yourself miniatures and PDF rules would eliminate a lot of the overhead that kills new or returning miniatures games.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

I haven't seen the movie but it has Ron Pearlman.

The movie was a made-for-SyFy joint that was an extremely bland affair. I watched it in the vague hopes it might illuminate some things for the franchise but it's just... there.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Aw that's a bummer. Ive read that it takes place in the past of the Warzone universe, which is apparently a much less awesome time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It only got nominated for one Smithee Award, so there's that?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
just got my copy of my father’s work in the mail. however the mandatory app is not done yet with no timeline for when it will be available. very cool!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Kevin Crawford's newest project, an expansion for Worlds Without Number, is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/the-atlas-of-the-latter-earth

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

scribe jones posted:

just got my copy of my father’s work in the mail. however the mandatory app is not done yet with no timeline for when it will be available. very cool!

...why ..why would you mail this out to backers :psyduck:

I'm going to guess storage fees were piling up

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

they asked for it even after being told the app wouldnt be ready and the game would be unplayable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

scribe jones posted:

Isn’t there a web based version of the app meant to fit into that shortfall for the time being?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

The_Doctor posted:

Isn’t there a web based version of the app meant to fit into that shortfall for the time being?

Not really. It's a placeholder beta for the first scenario that was sent out to playtesters and kickstarter reviewers. It might help some REALLY impatient players but I'll wait for the final product.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bottom Liner posted:

they asked for it even after being told the app wouldnt be ready and the game would be unplayable.

Yeah, the comments were repeated "ship it now"

Some people just want to hold the pretty. I give it a couple of days before the "Where is the APP. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO US?" comments begin.

To be fair, there may well be two different sets of vocal groups who are about to cross over, but there have already been some spoilers posted as people think one of the pages they were told not to look at is a misprint. Which of course has now been spoiled for everyone else.

I'm still looking forward to the game though! I'll just take the extra time to paint up my minis.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Amazing. People just can't help themselves, it's like the 10000 people asking about the component count of one game not including an obviously secret thing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Coffee & Chaos is now live on Gamefound -- it's a small RPG about taking your characters from some other game and seeing how well they run a coffee shop, pretty much, which strikes me as good filler for when you can't quite get the whole group together.

Also, note that it's on Gamefound instead of Kickstarter so if you like it please shout about it in whatever communities you're in -- if we want a KS-alternative for RPGs then we need to actually show up when people ditch Kickstarter for other platforms. (Although I also have a selfish motivation here because I've got a Gamefound project which is supposed to be launching next week if they ever get their ducks in a row, and I want people to show up for that too.)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Apparently a good number of people wanted it so they could paint the minis before they play.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

potatocubed posted:

Coffee & Chaos is now live on Gamefound -- it's a small RPG about taking your characters from some other game and seeing how well they run a coffee shop, pretty much, which strikes me as good filler for when you can't quite get the whole group together.

Oh my god, it’s a coffee shop AU RPG.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god, it’s a coffee shop AU RPG.

I know, it sounds perfect for my OCs!

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Has anyone got any insight on Pagan: Fate of Roanoke? Seems pretty interesting and the retail version hits stores soon.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

It's on the last 9 hours, so not a lot of time to make a decision, but I just noticed Household on KS and it looks interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2lm/household

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

I haven't backed the game, but if I were in that position, I'd want them to ship it too. No, I can't play until the app is done, but once the app ready I can play RIGHT NOW. If they wait until the app is ready before shipping, then I have to wait for them to ship it out before I can play.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
yeah to be clear, I’m not really complaining and don’t think they should’ve done anything differently. it’s just one of those “this loving hobby” moments

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

BinaryDoubts posted:

I have never once watched a Kickstarter video. Does anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIio6ZMrHP4

I love it. Fight me

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

BinaryDoubts posted:

I have never once watched a Kickstarter video. Does anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ-0Oh0_9so

Peak content

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I love Return to Dark Tower and the concept of a short and very scripted campaign has a lot of appeal.

But I like... Don't know anything they are referencing. What's polymorph? What's Mazes Fantasy Role-playing? I've never heard of either. I'm guessing nobody else has either seeing as how the campaign looks pretty stalled out.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9thlevel/return-to-dark-tower-rpg

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Mazes is a system for playing rpgs. Its pretty simple really, each character type is a die (a d4, or a d12 for example) and thats the only die you use when playing that character. Its made by the same guy that did Kobolds Ate My Baby and they have several indie games that use the system. Its only been out for a couple years, i think it debuted in 2019.

I'm not sure stalled out is the word I would use for their campaign. Its an indie rpg that hit almost $70k in like 4 days. Its entering the slow down period all but the largest campaigns hit after day 2.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 4, 2022

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Return to Dark Tower, not to be confused with Reincarnated Dark Tower.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/devillich/original-adventures-reincarnated-7-the-dark-tower?ref=user_menu

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Just got my father's work, and while I've got to wait on the app, the whole package looks amazing!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Grey Hunter posted:

Just got my father's work, and while I've got to wait on the app, the whole package looks amazing!

Those are definitely some cool components.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey, anyone up for a $350 version of Tsuro with $78 dollar minimum shipping? No?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/calliopegamenight/tsuro-luxury-limited-edition/description

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JazzFlight posted:

Hey, anyone up for a $350 version of Tsuro with $78 dollar minimum shipping? No?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/calliopegamenight/tsuro-luxury-limited-edition/description

It's pretty, but why? I'd actually love a pocket Tsuro of some type. It's a great filler, but who loves the game that much?

I say this, fully knowing I'm going to get the fancy sundrop pledge for Castles of Burgundy. Swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So, Mutants in the Next is down to its last three days.
We've gotten Crystal Frasier (Pathfinder, Gamma Flight, Cheer Up!) in to write an adventure, and Darren M.A. Calvert (Mutants & Masterminds, Acquisitions Inc.) to add additional art! And the next tier tugs in Ewen Cluney (Golden Sky Stories, Magical Fury, Back to the Rifter) to add some weird d100 tables! But we've got more waiting in the wings, like Roll20 support and an open gaming license!

I'm excited to see how far we can get in the last few days. When I first started the project, getting my ask seemed almost unthinkable for a small indie like myself. But I've gotten a lot of help from tremendously skilled creatives, and getting to that future where I can just make cool game stuff and have it be something sustainable is looking more and more possible thanks to all the supporters on this.

So give it a gander, and hopefully we'll be able to fully knock out this Kickstarter!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Just launched a crowdfunder for See Issue X, a narrative game about superheroes and their ever-expanding, ever-more-convoluted backstories. The game is 100% complete and will be distributed in pdf form the moment the cash is in, I just want money to pay for some sweet illustrations. (Then once those are in I can update the pdfs and start thinking about print versions.)

I need 100 backers to fund and it's on Gamefound so I don't have the built-in Kickstarter network to support me, so please share widely and/or throw me money.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

potatocubed posted:

Just launched a crowdfunder for See Issue X, a narrative game about superheroes and their ever-expanding, ever-more-convoluted backstories. The game is 100% complete and will be distributed in pdf form the moment the cash is in, I just want money to pay for some sweet illustrations. (Then once those are in I can update the pdfs and start thinking about print versions.)

I need 100 backers to fund and it's on Gamefound so I don't have the built-in Kickstarter network to support me, so please share widely and/or throw me money.

Was this already released somewhere, or is this a second edition or something? I would swear I already have this game. It uses a deck of cards that you mark up, right?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Coming to Kickstarter this summer. Designed by Descent/Arkham Horror/Android's Kevin Wilson (full disclosure: he's a good friend of mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUb0Ikm3BIs

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

gschmidl posted:

Coming to Kickstarter this summer. Designed by Descent/Arkham Horror/Android's Kevin Wilson (full disclosure: he's a good friend of mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUb0Ikm3BIs

Please post back here when there's info about the game, I like that pedigree.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Having second thoughts on Arcs. I love Pax Pamir 2nd but have mixed feelings on Oath (It feels more interesting in theory than actually fun to play in execution) and Root (which is just a LOT to sit down on the table for inexperienced players). I just feel like I might be at max capacity-Wehrle for what my group can reasonably enjoy and the reviewers seeming somewhat confounded as to whether there's actually a good game there, campaign or otherwise, really gives me pause.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Memnaelar posted:

Root (which is just a LOT to sit down on the table for inexperienced players). I just feel like I might be at max capacity-Wehrle for what my group can reasonably enjoy and the reviewers seeming somewhat confounded as to whether there's actually a good game there, campaign or otherwise, really gives me pause.

I've had luck running non-experienced board gamers through root a bunch of times, though I think the tutorial is a big help*. Though I guess you can't just keep repeating the tutorial in something more like Arcs :thunk:

*One time another set of people at the same board game night made a cones of dunshire crack and they were still playing the game of munchkin they started just a few minutes later by the time we finished so jokes on them

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

StarkRavingMad posted:

Was this already released somewhere, or is this a second edition or something? I would swear I already have this game. It uses a deck of cards that you mark up, right?

Yeah, I released it previously in an attempt to do a slow build and get the internal art sorted but a) it didn't work and b) I wanted a low-effort project I could do to dip my toe in the Gamefound water.

If you've got it already, and it sounds like you have, then thank you for your custom, I hope you enjoyed it, and when I update the pdf with art you'll get the updated version along with everyone else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, I released it previously in an attempt to do a slow build and get the internal art sorted but a) it didn't work and b) I wanted a low-effort project I could do to dip my toe in the Gamefound water.

If you've got it already, and it sounds like you have, then thank you for your custom, I hope you enjoyed it, and when I update the pdf with art you'll get the updated version along with everyone else.

Okay, thanks! I was just checking to make sure I didn't have an incredible case of deja vu or something. For whatever it's worth, assuming its the same game I'm thinking of, I enjoyed it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dwarf74 posted:

So I love Return to Dark Tower and the concept of a short and very scripted campaign has a lot of appeal.

But I like... Don't know anything they are referencing. What's polymorph? What's Mazes Fantasy Role-playing? I've never heard of either. I'm guessing nobody else has either seeing as how the campaign looks pretty stalled out.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/9thlevel/return-to-dark-tower-rpg

Why on earth would you use this as your video thumbnail? Why????