Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if it was complete you could swap out the death stem and have a cool old bike. but if it's already been SS converted with unremarkable modern parts and the paint isn't like-new i wouldn't pay more than $100, and i'd be gunning for $60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Re: '70s French bike chat I don't think it's worth it if you want something easy to maintain. The first thing I see in that pic are the original steel rims, which are heavy, don't have hooks to keep the tire seated, kinda suck for braking and are 27" which you can still find tires for, but options are limited. The other thing that I just struggled to fix on my old French bike was the seat post slipping because they metal around that thing got all bent out of shape and the post was also warped. It comes with a shim and then the seat post is some weird size that they don't make anymore and mine even had a bit reamed out where the shim goes and so lower in the tube it was tighter. This means that using a larger seatpost without the shim is impossible. Luckily for me there's a volunteer run shop that specializes in old bikes and has a ton of parts on hand.

Moral of the story is that they're a pain.

Hadlock posted:

Update on friend?

I heard he's learning how to walk again, so thank god he's alive. It's definitely made me even more hyper vigilant looking both ways when the light turns green before going because people run red lights all the time where I live.

Mauser fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 7, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah I'm going to check out the Masi Riser, the 58 is not available, but they do have a 56. 60 might be too big but I'll give it a test anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I feel like I must be missing something about this bike geometry calculator. I put in the values for the size 60 riser from here

https://www.shredshop.com/masi-2022-riser-single-speed-road-bike-pr3e25517/p

but it shows the stack as being only 542 mm?

https://tinyurl.com/3dbvts9p

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I feel like I must be missing something about this bike geometry calculator. I put in the values for the size 60 riser from here

https://www.shredshop.com/masi-2022-riser-single-speed-road-bike-pr3e25517/p

but it shows the stack as being only 542 mm?

https://tinyurl.com/3dbvts9p

You’re probably missing other measurements needed to actually calculate the stack.

https://99spokes.com/bikes/masi/2019/uno-riser

The frame looks the same and has the 60 with a stack of 598mm.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’re probably missing other measurements needed to actually calculate the stack.

https://99spokes.com/bikes/masi/2019/uno-riser

The frame looks the same and has the 60 with a stack of 598mm.

thanks! yeah I guess the other info wasn't provided. my ideal reach is 391, and stack 584. 58 has better stack for me, but 56 better reach!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

actionjackson posted:

are there sites that show specs for old french bikes?

based on my current bike, my ideal stack is 23", and reach is about 15.4"

i'm looking at this peugeot https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-1971-peugeot-u08-single/7483615898.html

I found this one, I think this bike was originally a ten speed and then this person converted it. but it doesn't have the detailed measurements that bikes have today

I assembled so many of those when I worked at Brands Bicycles (NY). We called them "Embryo Cycles" because they came in opaque heat shrink plastic.

When I was 15 I got one of these after destroying a Raleigh 10 speed by slipping a rear wheel and bending the frame. My mom gave the dealer grief and they exchanged it for a Peugeot PX10e.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

actionjackson posted:

thanks! yeah I guess the other info wasn't provided. my ideal reach is 391, and stack 584. 58 has better stack for me, but 56 better reach!

Run a 56 with spacers

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Late to chat but I have the nicest commute I’ve ever had 3 miles each way with 95% on a dedicated bike path through a park.

I’m 6’3” and ride a XL/61cm.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does this bike also have the stem that will kill me?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/minneapolis-bottecchia-26in-single-speed/7486503645.html

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Not french so almost certainly not. Also not-French stems are much easier to swap.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

26 inches is equivalent to 66cm and I think you said 57 is your ideal size

Unless you're 9 feet tall, that bike is going to be unrideable, or at least castrate you the first time you need to do an emergency stop

Stem is fine, single piece

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Unless you're 9 feet tall, that bike is going to be unrideable, or at least castrate you the first time you need to do an emergency stop

Given that the seller listed the frame material as aluminium, I'm not sure the measurement was done that carefully.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I was going to say, I did the conversion but I've never heard of anything >60 cm, so I thought it was a typo

this one also claims to be a 26" frame https://neworleans.craigslist.org/bik/d/kenner-bottecchia-rare-50-yrs-old-needs/7478217020.html

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SimonSays posted:

Given that the seller listed the frame material as aluminium, I'm not sure the measurement was done that carefully.

If that skinny tube frame was actually aluminum it should be in a museum so no one ever has to risk death by riding it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If that skinny tube frame was actually aluminum it should be in a museum so no one ever has to risk death by riding it.

Maybe the wall thickness is 2mm, pal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just looking at the proportion of head tube to wheel diameter, looks like a Really Tall bike for anyone not at least 6'3"

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

TobinHatesYou posted:

Maybe the wall thickness is 2mm, pal.

The diameter of the tube is at least if not more important than the wall thickness for increasing stiffness.

Early aluminum bikes were reportedly super soft and terrifying to ride because of this.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Early aluminum bikes were reportedly super soft and terrifying to ride because of this.

I had a 70s Schwinn 754 with steel-diametered tubes. It rode very comfortably, but in a way that was surely fatiguing to the frame.
I sold it to a goon and a couple years later the DT snapped clean.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

The diameter of the tube is at least if not more important than the wall thickness for increasing stiffness.

I was talking about strength, not stiffness. You mentioned risking death, which to means a broken bike, not necessarily a flexy/compliant one.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Because aluminum can take very little deformation before it fails, so flexy often means likely to break. Add the fatigue from riding like kimbo mentioned, and tubes in that geometry aren't going to be very durable.

Modern aluminum frames are designed to be very stiff to avoid deforming the metal to help avoid this problem.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

here's my old French bike I've been complaining about. Posted this before but now with all the housing the same color, replaced the seat post and clamp thing for the saddle because those were ruined. The volunteer bike shop guy recommended grinding out some of the metal around the seat tube where it clamps the post and he got it working again so that the seat doesn't slide downwards, replaced the rear brake cable hanger thing since the old one was broken, also replaced the garbage brake pads and now I can brake. I also got rid of the suicide brake levers and replaced them with normal ones and added the little hood covers. I think I need to adjust their position though because they're a little uncomfortable. All of this was recently.

Before that I had the wheels replaced with some cheap ones from the bike shop after both of them had issues and I had to put the bar end shifters in when the original shifter lever bracket snapped off. I got around to adding some nice bar tape too just for fun.

so it's been a lot of fun and the bike shop i mentioned specializes in old bikes and has tons of old second-hand parts on hand. They sell them all for a few dollars each and will help you with repairs and let you use their shop tools for a $10 fee. I donated quite a bit over that for all the help they've given me. I found a much better front derailleur there for like $2 so I'll replace that eventually.

edit: I think that the rear tire is sitting on some poison ivy that I need to take care of

Mauser fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

all those issues aside, that is a beautiful bike!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Because aluminum can take very little deformation before it fails, so flexy often means likely to break. Add the fatigue from riding like kimbo mentioned, and tubes in that geometry aren't going to be very durable.

Modern aluminum frames are designed to be very stiff to avoid deforming the metal to help avoid this problem.

You ever tried to flex a 2mm wall thickness 1.25" alloy tube? The extra wall thickness inherently adds stiffness. The reason why it's not done is because it would be TOO stiff while also making the entire bike heavier (and more expensive.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That Tubus worth more than the rest of the bike.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

That Tubus worth more than the rest of the bike.
I cannot stand for this bar end shifter hate.

I could go either way on the leather saddle.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

CopperHound posted:

I cannot stand for this bar end shifter hate.

I could go either way on the leather saddle.

A Swift is much more expensive than a pair of Dia-Compe ENE bar-ends.

The Swift and the Tubus for sure are worth more than the Motobécane ever was new tho.

E: I really like the handsome Motobécane! It's got very sensible upgrades.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh yeah, the shifters were something like $50, the brooks saddle I had previously, but was over $100, and the tubus rack was also over $100. I don't mind those expenses because they'll go on a new bike if this one ever kicks the bucket. I paid $70 for the bicycle, which is about how much the leather bar tape costs. Not a cheap commuter option, but that's not really why I got it.

It's been a project that I bought off my brother who found it somewhere and I knew it was going to be a bit of work. I really love it and it's been pretty fun working on it despite the downtime when I haven't been able to ride it for various reasons or when it's stranded me places and made me replace something. Now that I discovered that volunteer place all the future replacement parts are going to be very cheap and one of the guys there already mentioned that the BB might need replacing and they have French threaded ones on hand when that happens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm going to check out this one, it already has the fenders and chain guard which is nice. obviously some rust but that can be dealt with, as I would definitely take it to a shop right away anyway. 27" is probably a bit narrow for city biking but we'll see. it looks like it's a 42/18 which should be good to achieve grandma speeds

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-specialized-globe-daily/7475677005.html

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I'm going to check out this one, it already has the fenders and chain guard which is nice. obviously some rust but that can be dealt with, as I would definitely take it to a shop right away anyway. 27" is probably a bit narrow for city biking but we'll see. it looks like it's a 42/18 which should be good to achieve grandma speeds

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bik/d/saint-paul-specialized-globe-daily/7475677005.html

Probably gonna be small for you, just eyeballing the frame and assuming it's 700c and 27". I just... have trouble believing Spec ever had a bike built around 630C.
And also 27" is referring to the wheel diameter, not the tire width.

Surface rust doesn't matter that much outside of on the chain, where it might force you to get a new one. Other places, you can try to scrub it off with balled up aluminum foil. I don't think the shop would offer de-rusting cleanup as a service, but they might.

But def check it out.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new commuter bike for light chores/recreational riding, and I've got my eye on this: https://www.purecycles.com/collections/pure-city-classic-bikes/products/pure-city-classic-bike?variant=36735691402

Thoughts? I know I'm not providing anything in the way of specifics, but I'm just kind of curious about the brand, as Pure Cycles seems like a lesser known manufacturer? Anything in particular to watch out for?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Probably gonna be small for you, just eyeballing the frame and assuming it's 700c and 27". I just... have trouble believing Spec ever had a bike built around 630C.
And also 27" is referring to the wheel diameter, not the tire width.

Surface rust doesn't matter that much outside of on the chain, where it might force you to get a new one. Other places, you can try to scrub it off with balled up aluminum foil. I don't think the shop would offer de-rusting cleanup as a service, but they might.

But def check it out.

oh that's right, 27" wide tires would be pretty funny. they are 700x28c

specialized has the specs on their website. I calculated this would give a reach of 420 (which is a lot) but a stack of only 543

https://tinyurl.com/4x35byzz

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

oh that's right, 27" wide tires would be pretty funny. they are 700x28c

specialized has the specs on their website. I calculated this would give a reach of 420 (which is a lot)

Crazy that the geo chart on the manufacturer website doesn't give reach. 420 is a lot... for drop bars. It's not as bad for flat bars. Definitely not bad with those swept back handles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Crazy that the geo chart on the manufacturer website doesn't give reach. 420 is a lot... for drop bars. It's not as bad for flat bars. Definitely not bad with those swept back handles.

I've noticed several geometry pages that mention everything BUT stack and reach for whatever reason

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I've noticed several geometry pages that mention everything BUT stack and reach for whatever reason

Cause you don't usually design for a given stack or reach, they're derived measurements and are mainly helpful for people who buy bikes online.

They should of course publish it, it's trivial to do, but those numbers aren't considered much if at all in the internal design drawings.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SimonSays posted:

They should of course publish it, it's trivial to do, but those numbers aren't considered much if at all in the internal design drawings.
I haven’t able to find the graph of S/R for different brands’ models by size, but yeah, not considering stack and reach leads to a pretty uneven progression of increments in stack and reach.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

SimonSays posted:

Cause you don't usually design for a given stack or reach,
I guess that would explain why so many XS bikes have longer reach than S.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

CopperHound posted:

I guess that would explain why so many XS bikes have longer reach than S.

That one is because you can't import a bike into the US that has toe overlap, but manufacturers don't want to spook customers with an appropriate wheel size for their frame size.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Heavens forfend one should have a road bike with anything but 700C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've been Citi Biking around NYC for the past three weeks - first time on a bike in, idk, 15 years? - and really enjoying it. Now I'm out of my free trial and debating between coughing up $185 for a year of Citi Bike or just going ahead and buying a bike.

NYC has a plethora of local bike shops, but it seems like none of them have, like, accurate online inventory, and it's really hard to tell which stores actually carry the brands I'm interested in. I thought about buying used on Craigslist or whatever, but being a novice, I feel like it'd be pretty easy for me to get scammed, plus a lot of bikes are going for basically the same cost they were new, and without a transferable warranty that seems like a bad deal!

I was looking at a Brilliant Cooper (https://www.brilliant.co/collections/bicycles/products/cooper?variant=28827810562125), which ships fast and seems easy to self-assemble. Now, all of these things say "after assembling this, take it to a bike shop to get it checked out before riding." Is this... one of those things they put up for legal reasons but most people probably don't do? Seems weird to walk into a bike shop and be like "hey can you tell me if I hosed this up?" Like what do you even pay for that?

I don't mind the idea of paying for someone to assemble it just to make sure I don't kill myself forgetting to tighten some nuts or whatever, just kind of miffed about the lead times (ordering through Brilliant gives a bunch of local assembly options but they all are like two or so weeks away).

Also if there's anything else in this like $500-1000 range that I should be looking for, especially something that I can get in NYC, happily taking alternative suggestions.