Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought that was a joke since Delta and Zeta's color schemes are so similar.

That's why I prefer Vau, they're the ones that makes you go "No way those are Jade Falcons!"

Oh hell yes I looked up this scheme and it rocks. Definitely painting up some of these when I get a chance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So CGL is removing the No Torso Twist quirk entirely?

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/BattleMech-Manual-2022-06-06-v6.0.pdf

I dunno if I disagree, it's always been an extremely punishing quirk - deceptively so. But it's certainly a bold move.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

raverrn posted:

So CGL is removing the No Torso Twist quirk entirely?

https://bg.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/BattleMech-Manual-2022-06-06-v6.0.pdf

I dunno if I disagree, it's always been an extremely punishing quirk - deceptively so. But it's certainly a bold move.

If that's the case, then as a frequent user of No Torso Twist mechs, I like that!

More objectively, though, I think it's a good idea. It was probably one of the most debilitating quirks out there.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't that what makes one of the light mechs in the agoac box really difficult? I want to say it's the Jenner but it's an 8/12 that really needs initiative to be effective

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yes, both the Jenner and the Jenner IIC had No Torso Twist. They also have No/Minimal Arms, which is a penalty to PSRs when attempting to stand up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

DrPop posted:

Yes, both the Jenner and the Jenner IIC had No Torso Twist. They also have No/Minimal Arms, which is a penalty to PSRs when attempting to stand up.

Ah yeah. Messing around with the box on my own it's deadly to a Jenner that gets knocked down.

One day I'll find some people to play 3025 rules with :(

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Good, I loath No Torso Twist on 'Mechs, and it especially doesn't make any sense with a lot of the redesigns of classic 'Mechs going out of their way to show they are capable of torso twisting. The new artwork for the Nova for example does away with the terrible 'Lets stick the arms directly to the hips of the legs and have the cockpit dangling like a man's balls below the machine.' design and actually gives it proper legs and shoulders.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I liked when it was a walking swing set.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I always figured good Nova pilots would know how to reposition quickly with thrusters, especially in low G.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Yes, NTT is gone for good. It will be removed from reprints of Campaign Ops and AToW as well.

Basically with the new art adding torsos to everything (which was a deliberate choice), it just doesn't make sense any longer and is only generating confusion.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like Mech Commander's minor redesign of the Kit Fox that gave it a twistable torso:

But even if a mech doesn't visibly have a turret waist, I just figured that every mech has the ability to contort itself enough to have a wide firing arc whether it is literally twisting its torso or not.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rorahusky posted:

Good, I loath No Torso Twist on 'Mechs, and it especially doesn't make any sense with a lot of the redesigns of classic 'Mechs going out of their way to show they are capable of torso twisting. The new artwork for the Nova for example does away with the terrible 'Lets stick the arms directly to the hips of the legs and have the cockpit dangling like a man's balls below the machine.' design and actually gives it proper legs and shoulders.

In MechWarrior 2 if you blew off the leg of a Nova it would stand there helpless with the corresponding arm just hovering in place next to it, held up purely by Kerensky's will.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

after the last game we played (a 3 way ffa, there's pics, may try and get some in here at some point of it), where one player DFA murder-suicided my other opponents mech in a clutch play, i decided i needed to move cliff tiles up to the front of the queue to get some more jump jetting happening. prototype:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
You could even fluff the gashes of the cliff as the previous scars of flying ‘Mech rugby.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Those are some lovely cliffs. If you have spare bits lying around, you might consider making a crater with a couple of mangled limbs sticking out and some cotton ball smoke rising up to trot out after a successful DFA in the future.

I painted some more assault mechs:

NSR-9J

HGN-732B

VTR-9B

I've gotten enough practice on hazard stripes that I can more or less eyeball some of them now. Most of the checquers or quarters are done in this manner, with the stripes still mostly (but not entirely) masked using Tamiya tape. I intend to pick up more light mechs and a couple of others that I just want to paint to round out this mercenary command (and to allow a selection of lights instead of being stuck with just a default four), but this has been fun overall.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 9, 2022

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I dig how the hazards on the highlander's shoulders turned out!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sick! And yeah you are getting better with hazard stripes, some of those almost look like decals.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Fearless posted:

Those are some lovely cliffs. If you have spare bits lying around, you might consider making a crater with a couple of mangled limbs sticking out and some cotton ball smoke rising up to trot out after a successful DFA in the future.

:lol: that's a great idea, think i may actually do something like that.

mechs look awesome btw, echoing the words about the clean hazard stripes

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

those look great! I'll echo those hazard stripes are really good looking too. It's a great color scheme especially on beefy bois like the Nightstar and Highlander

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Highlander hazards remind me of crash test dummy markings :v:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Highlander hazards remind me of crash test dummy markings :v:

Oddly fitting given the Highlander's propensity to crashing into other mechs!

And thank you to all of you for you kind words, they are appreciated a lot.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2022

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009
I just picked up the beginner kit, core game set and clan invasion - Is there a decent way to split the core set into two solid forces or is that set mostly intended as a one-player force? And in that vein, is the clan invasion set intended as one army since it's one Clan star?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

KFJ posted:

I just picked up the beginner kit, core game set and clan invasion - Is there a decent way to split the core set into two solid forces or is that set mostly intended as a one-player force? And in that vein, is the clan invasion set intended as one army since it's one Clan star?

I'm pretty sure the core set is something that is meant for a lance vs lance since that's classic Battletech's bread and butter battle layout. Also, remember that there's a lot of cardboard stands so you can mirror lances with those.

In some early Alpha Strike games before I went all in on a lot more minis, I had my Inner Sphere force from the starter, and used the Clan Invasion Star set against it, so an 8 vs 5 game. Point value wise it worked pretty well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Practicing more finesse with different paintbrushes, used a filter on my camera(phone).

No wash this time, but I feel I could've gone with another coat of white. Feeling good with documenting in my modelling journal - feels like I'm getting better at this.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Practicing more finesse with different paintbrushes, used a filter on my camera(phone).

No wash this time, but I feel I could've gone with another coat of white. Feeling good with documenting in my modelling journal - feels like I'm getting better at this.

I think one can see marked improvement in your brush control since your last 'mech. Yellow and white can be quite challenging to paint with as they often have fairly low levels of pigment that can make painting over a darker colour more challenging. Consistent practice is going to help loads and in no time at all you're going to look back and be floored at what you've accomplished.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They've been done for a few days, but I finally found some time on my lunch break to take some pictures of my completed Clan Wolf Alpha Galaxy

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Still working through some of these "classic" plastics. I did what I could, but this model is pretty rough. Still, I think it looks passable.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cut the head off that and it looks like that Megaman enemy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I don't know what it is but I like the mix of blues together. The base is nice too - seems fitting for the older-style design.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a Cyclops, which is a goofy enough design to begin with, but the cheap board game plastic doesn't help.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I finished one of my generic 'Mech groups, this time in urban camo. It's a little more than a company since there's a 'Mech of each weight class, but since they're generic I can slot them in anywhere (they work best with House Kurita and in hindsight I should've painted an urban Panther instead of an urban Commando, I just wanted to paint up a Commando (and Zeus!) like the unit from the Mechwarrior II Mercenaries intro).

Light Lance

Medium Lance

Heavy Lance

Assault Lance

And the group shot

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Love the bases and the subtle differences in the armor coloration :swoon:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Looks great! Painting a Timber Wolf like the cover of MW2 is a stretch goal of mine

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Love the little cars on the bases! So nice to see when the basing actually reinforces the scale of mechs.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Those look really awesome! I like the red windshield effect a lot with that scheme too.

General question for the thread, any particular pointers for basing the miniatures? I still got plenty to paint up but once I get through those and varnish them for protection I'd like to work on the hex bases I think

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Holybat posted:

General question for the thread, any particular pointers for basing the miniatures? I still got plenty to paint up but once I get through those and varnish them for protection I'd like to work on the hex bases I think

I personally like to avoid grass tufts or static grass unless I've put something else on the base to help show the 'Mech's scale (like a tiny infantryman or a 1:285 scale car), but otherwise most common basing techniques work just fine.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Crossposting this from the MWO thread:

Here's some organized play footage from the mechwarrior shadow dimension, Mechwarrior Living Legends. I don't know how much fun it'll be to watch, I'm playing an artillery support vehicle so I'm mostly just launching missiles for a VTOL to TAG in on targets. But there are some cool explosions and lots of nerd chatter.

If you love the tabletop game it'll probably be cool to see so many different asset types in play instead of just mechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJRHuErrqg

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Finally finished my first serious effort at painting a (decidedly non-canon) company. Apologies for the close-up of my floor, I don't have a proper lighting setup.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

There's no reason to apologize for nice looking mechs like those. I like the colour scheme-- it's simple, sharp looking and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lookin good! The white stripes are a nice choice for accents there.