Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

They’re great for buying from, but as far as selling to goes…well, they send me coupons all the time that are just “sell to us and get an extra 10 (or 20, sometimes 30)% on top of our quote!”; figure if they can up the buy price that much for “oh I have a coupon”, they’ve gotta be lowballing hard.

Coupons do not have to still result in a profitable sale. They're advertising, intended to attract someone to a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There's been an analysis posted of the games offered and taken up at GenCon 2022:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/2876468/gen-con-2022-most-rpg-seats-system?fbclid=IwAR1ewWm_Il4nxdLPT9a_eD_aH1hWzXlaG0VFnLS9dHZlYNGmnf563fB2nUY

Most surprising result: there were more full seats for PbtA games than
a) for Pathfinder/Starfinder, and
b) for games based on D&D 5e other than D&D 5e itself.

This was driven primarily by Avatar Legends and Root.

Also, although there were many PbtA games there was no game of Apocalypse World, and although there were at least 2 Forged in the Dark games, there was no game of Blades in the Dark.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Without context, none of those numbers mean anything.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hyphz posted:

There's been an analysis posted of the games offered and taken up at GenCon 2022:

https://rpggeek.com/thread/2876468/gen-con-2022-most-rpg-seats-system?fbclid=IwAR1ewWm_Il4nxdLPT9a_eD_aH1hWzXlaG0VFnLS9dHZlYNGmnf563fB2nUY

Most surprising result: there were more full seats for PbtA games than
a) for Pathfinder/Starfinder, and
b) for games based on D&D 5e other than D&D 5e itself.

This was driven primarily by Avatar Legends and Root.

Also, although there were many PbtA games there was no game of Apocalypse World, and although there were at least 2 Forged in the Dark games, there was no game of Blades in the Dark.

Root the board game or the Root RPG?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The RPG.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Warms my heart to see a small but passionate Earthdawn community still going. it really is a labor of love for that team.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Warms my heart to see a small but passionate Earthdawn community still going. it really is a labor of love for that team.

I'm still surprised it hasn't seem some sort of a Kickstarter reboot by this point. Just a fantastic game. I would love to see it in a lighter, more modern system (that's not Savage Worlds).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

EverettLO posted:

I'm still surprised it hasn't seem some sort of a Kickstarter reboot by this point. Just a fantastic game. I would love to see it in a lighter, more modern system (that's not Savage Worlds).

It has. It’s still alive and publishing source books for 4th edition. I read 4th but haven’t played it. They simplified some rules but turned around and added others. Biggest change is you now get to pick your talents from a pool at each circle, which works pretty well in adding different playstyles to each discipline.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Bumper Stickup posted:

Hell yeah my copy of Fae's Anatomy came in.

Someone's about to have a smoldering romance with that skeleton.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

Someone's about to have a smoldering romance with that skeleton.

And I can't blame them one bit. Look at that magnificent 'stache.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

EverettLO posted:

It does. 4th edition is still churning along and is in the middle of a KS for The Grand Bazaar https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fasagames/earthdawn-4th-edition-grand-bazaar I just finished running a campaign of it and it's still fun.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dunno where else to post this but recently my body was been wrecked by a surge of Covid-19 and during one of the fever dreams I had while my body surged with heavenly fire to banish the disease, I was overtaken with an amazing vision, that Fantasy Flight Games had announced the creation of "Rokugan High", an AU retelling of the Legend of the Five Rings universe, set in an anime high school. From what I could remember:

The Scorpion clan were the 'shadow morals committee' and often wore paper facemasks.
The Spider were expelled students that had a biker gang outside of school.
The Emerald Champion was instead the school council president (Emperor was the principal)
Everybody wielded wooden swords instead of real ones.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Plutonis posted:

Dunno where else to post this but recently my body was been wrecked by a surge of Covid-19 and during one of the fever dreams I had while my body surged with heavenly fire to banish the disease, I was overtaken with an amazing vision, that Fantasy Flight Games had announced the creation of "Rokugan High", an AU retelling of the Legend of the Five Rings universe, set in an anime high school. From what I could remember:

The Scorpion clan were the 'shadow morals committee' and often wore paper facemasks.
The Spider were expelled students that had a biker gang outside of school.
The Emerald Champion was instead the school council president (Emperor was the principal)
Everybody wielded wooden swords instead of real ones.
Didn’t one of the writers for the series post a setting like this up alongside the Rokugan 2000 one that eventually made it into the 4e books?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AmiYumi posted:

Didn’t one of the writers for the series post a setting like this up alongside the Rokugan 2000 one that eventually made it into the 4e books?

I only remember the sci fi one

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Found it. Same guy, not quite the same idea. Didn’t read it again, but I think this is the “ninjas are little kids afraid of nap time” one.

https://lowfierce.com/kazenoshiro/rokugani90210/bukgawk.html

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AmiYumi posted:

Found it. Same guy, not quite the same idea. Didn’t read it again, but I think this is the “ninjas are little kids afraid of nap time” one.

https://lowfierce.com/kazenoshiro/rokugani90210/bukgawk.html

There's a blast from the past. Rich Wulf did both Rokugan 90210 which is mostly an affectionate parody of L5R as relationship drama in the metaplot of the time (which was Hidden Emperor so the story barely made sense in the best of times) and Rokugan 2000 which was 'Rokugan but with high technology' that I really enjoyed at the time but never finished because Rich actually went to work for Alderac.

Here's the link to that stuff: https://lowfierce.com/kazenoshiro/Rokugan2000/l5r2k/l5r2k.html

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

e: Just realized there's a dedicated thread for this question!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 5, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Do people still do interest check posts or is that gauche?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

Do people still do interest check posts or is that gauche?
For threads? There's a pinned thread for that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:justpost:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I need to prototype a really simple card game for some work poo poo. Is there a website where I can just type text on cards, duplicate them, shuffle them and move them around?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

General Battuta posted:

I need to prototype a really simple card game for some work poo poo. Is there a website where I can just type text on cards, duplicate them, shuffle them and move them around?

I'd just create custom assets in TTS but that's because I already have that set up*. Second choice would be analog with index cards

*https://kb.tabletopsimulator.com/custom-content/custom-deck/

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

General Battuta posted:

Do you specifically need them to be pretty little images of cards, or just have the mathematical properties of cards? Because the latter is absolutely trivial and the former is just that + graphics.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Tulip posted:

I'd just create custom assets in TTS but that's because I already have that set up*. Second choice would be analog with index cards

As far as I know, you can do a similar thing in roll20. It's fiddly, but it would probably work fine for their needs while being a free program.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

General Battuta posted:

I'll second TTS. It's by far the best way to prototype board games these days.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
I bookmarked this a long time back and haven't used it really - there might be a bit of a learning curve but it looks like it does what you need.
https://playingcards.io/game/standard-deck

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

General Battuta posted:

dwarf74 posted:

I'll second TTS. It's by far the best way to prototype board games these days.

If you don't already own TTS, before giving them money, you should know there was a recent transphobia controversy involving them. The very broad strokes, as I understand them, quoting from the board game thread.

Magnetic North posted:

In early 2022, Twitter user xoeallred described their negative experiences using global chat in TTS. After facing kicks and temporary bans for mentioning being gay, they sought an explanation as to why this was happening. After receiving no answer via email, eventually on Discord, someone with a discord role indicating they were with Berserk claimed that sharing the fact that you are gay or trans is inappropriate on TTS while implying that trans or gay identities are somehow political or fetishistic. The Twitter user in question has helpfully saved the receipts in a Google Doc with screenshots. Upon further research, this has been the excuse from Berserk going back to at least October 2018. This story is ongoing as of the time of this writing, but thus far they released a factually incorrect non-apology, then a better yet milquetoast apology, and then many days later a better apology and donation. It remains to be seen if they will salvage the situation. This is less black-and-white as compared to the above controversies, in that this appears to (at least in part) an error, but errors still cause harm, and it would be wrong to pretend that this response will be considered satisfactory to all affected.

https://screentop.gg/ is a suggested replacement, though I've never used it. I've heard that Tabletopia is also free to prototype on, but have not used that either.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I figure there are a least a few boardgame interested posters here so I want to make people aware of the video game port of the boardgame Nemesis: Lockdown on Steam. It is a turn-based survival horror game with heavy inspiration from the Alien franchise.

It is in Early Access, and there are bugs, but I'm really enjoying what Nemesis: Lockdown has to offer at the moment. It is currently $20 on Steam.

It is multiplayer, there are five different survivors (characters) to choose from so far and it looks like some hidden goals allow you to betray your teammates but you can’t take direct action against each other like shooting them. Solo mode also.

Played about six solo games. They were interesting. I think the gameplay might be slow for some people but I like it as it builds tension slowly and it models the Alien(s) movie experience. In my first game I managed to drag my heavily bleeding body to the room where I sent a signal off Mars. It wasn't enough to finish my second goal however (kill the Queen). An Adult alien cornered me and turned me into a tasty meatball.

In my second game I played a Janitor and got infected by alien Larva. I used a card in my hand to scan the infection and it killed me because I had a Larva residing in my body. Woops! I didn’t even get to use my jury-rigged flamethrower!

In my third playthrough I was a Xenobiologist with the goal to capture the corpse of an alien intruder. I was making my way quietly from room to room and gaining knowledge about the alien threat when the game crashed.

In my fourth opportunity I played a Survivor character. I learned that each character has starting equipment they can make into something useful assuming they reach the right room and pay for the item. I successfully made it to the crafting room and made myself an assault rifle! Hell yeah I thought. Fast forward to two turns later where I was in the Surgery room and trapped by an Adult alien. I missed four out of five shots on the alien and then again got turned into a spicy meatball after it had shredded my arms and legs.

I'm excited to try multiplayer with other people who have competing goals. Fair warning though I think the multiplayer servers may be a bit unstable right now in terms of trying to connect to them.

Another warning about Nemesis: Lockdown. As much fun as I am having with it, I have encountered two Unreal Engine errors, one resulting in the solo game crash I mentioned above. So, some may want to wait before jumping in until the devs have fixed these.

The other warning is that there is no real tutorial yet. I sought answers from the boardgame's rulebook here and this great youtube how-to-play here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNgmTsCaExE

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As far as I know, you can do a similar thing in roll20. It's fiddly, but it would probably work fine for their needs while being a free program.

I will never stop complaining about how dogshit Roll20's playing card functions are. So, so bad.

If I were the OP I'd just use index cards and a marker pen, to be honest.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

For a slightly nicer but more material-intensive solution than index cards, you could also sleeve up some MtG (or other TCG) cards and put in a little paper insert for whatever it is you're trying to proxy; they'll feel nicer to shuffle and deal, at least.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
What's the name of that old program for totally not running copyrighted CCGs in. L-something

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Splicer posted:

What's the name of that old program for totally not running copyrighted CCGs in. L-something

I could have sworn Cockatrice was the most popular one, but I wouldn't personally know.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

LackeyCCG?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Possibly. My brain keeps saying laudenum but it's definitely not that. Probably lackey.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tulip posted:

Powerpoint is actually p ok for that kind of thing

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Access, believe it or not is really good for designing cards. You can make a database with the informaiton, including embeded images and then put it on a report in print view to print. It was what I was using for a very long time, until I switched to NanDeck, which takes a bit to learn but feels a little more purpose-built tool.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

sebmojo posted:

Powerpoint is actually p ok for that kind of thing

Foolster41 posted:

Access, believe it or not is really good for designing cards. You can make a database with the informaiton, including embeded images and then put it on a report in print view to print. It was what I was using for a very long time, until I switched to NanDeck, which takes a bit to learn but feels a little more purpose-built tool.

the dichotomy of man

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I kind of hate Tabletop Simulator.

It's theoretically the perfect platform for playing traditional games with people online. It has pretty comprehensive mod support and good online capabilities.

But the core game never moved beyond "funny physics game" so you have to be very careful while moving stuff or it will go flying or send other things flying or toppling over. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the "hilarious" physics and have thing just snap together or stay where they were placed. I find very infuriating to actually interact with.

edit: I mean I get that you have to be careful not to knock stuff over or throw things in real life but it's a hell of a lot easier to do with hands than a mouse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BattleMaster posted:

But the core game never moved beyond "funny physics game" so you have to be very careful while moving stuff or it will go flying or send other things flying or toppling over. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the "hilarious" physics and have thing just snap together or stay where they were placed. I find very infuriating to actually interact with.

The only thing I play on TTS and you gotta get pretty careless to knock poo poo around. On the rare event it happens, we just hit undo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When I tried it I had to wait a moment after moving a piece before letting go or else it would go flying. I never want to throw pieces but there's no way to turn it off. Also I never want pieces I'm moving to bump other pieces but there's no way to turn that off either.

I'm at the point of my life where I accept that not everything is made for me and I just move on if it grates on me. If someone makes something that doesn't feel like everything needs to be a physics object at all times I'll give that a try.