Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
*checking the weather report for temperature and leak mead water levels*

oh. oh dear. well, as long as the southwest has electricity to spare, we'll be fine with our hvacs.

wait, they built what on lake Mead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
you just have to build a person sized highly insulated self-contained refrigerator you can go into and not leave for possibly weeks.

patent pending

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"tornado shelter" but for "temperature anomalies" where it is so hot that you will die

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Inspector Hound posted:

If it can be 120⁰ in a place, there should not be a city

I have bad news about the Indian subcontinent

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stereotype posted:

you just have to build a person sized highly insulated self-contained refrigerator you can go into and not leave for possibly weeks.

patent pending

some sort of "dome", perhaps?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Stereotype posted:

patent pending

make it similar to a lead-lined refrigerator so that way when the bombs drop you can hide inside and be propelled to complete safety by the blasts

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FFT posted:

pretty sure that would require humidity

in F

danger zones:

I love that whole in the northeast where it's cooler our humidity Is high enough to keep us in yellow zone most of the summer and red/black often. 70% humidity sucks. It was 89 the other day and I waited until 7pm to do some work outside because I was sweating so badly.

tater_salad has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Jun 8, 2022

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Oklahoma storms this morning have turned into hail, flooding, and a tornado warning
e: 8in/hr of rain lol glad this poo poo is moving some

Evil_Greven has issued a correction as of 15:11 on Jun 8, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tater_salad posted:

I love that whole in the northeast where it's cooler our humidity Is high enough to keep us in yellow zone most of the summer and red/black often. 70% humidity sucks. It was 89 the other day and I waited until 7pm to do some work outside because I was sweating so badly.

swamp rear end comes standard up here

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Wet bulb globe temperature was developed by the military in the 1950s. It is meant for those doing strenuous outdoor activities. It's true equation has many inputs (temperature, humidity, wind speed, solar insolation).

Heat Index was developed in the early 1980s. It also has many inputs but it was simplified to just temperature and humidity. It is geared towards the general populace.

Temperature by itself is fundamental and a measure of the kinetic energy in the air molecules.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Colin Mockery posted:

what if we covered the whole lakebed with a layer of plastic to keep the arsenic in

Ihmemies posted:

Can't you just pave over it with asphalt or concrete?

According to the article, they've basically already tried this on a dead lake in California

quote:

A judge ordered Los Angeles to reduce the dust. That was 25 years ago. Since then, Los Angeles has spent $2.5 billion trying to keep wind from blowing dust off the lake bed.

The city has tried different strategies: Covering the lake bed in gravel. Spraying just enough water on the dust to hold it in place. Constantly tilling the dry earth, creating low ridges to catch restive dust particles before they can become airborne.

The result is a mix between an industrial site and a science experiment. On a recent morning, workers scurried across the vast area, checking valves and sprinklers that continually get plugged with sand. Nearby, inside a complex that resembles a bunker, walls of screens monitored data to alert the operation’s 70-person staff if something goes wrong. If the carefully calibrated flow of sprinklers is disrupted, for example, dust could quickly start to fly off again.

Don't mind me, just sinking a bunch of water into this complicated sprinkler system to try to minimize the disaster caused by us stealing all the water from this spot a century ago :lmao:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Evil_Greven posted:

Oklahoma storms this morning have turned into hail, flooding, and a tornado warning
e: 8in/hr of rain lol glad this poo poo is moving some

lol we had a tornado warning at 130 this morning. good news is that the thing the NWS pushes to phones actually works which is kind of surprising tbh

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ihmemies posted:

Can't you just pave over it with asphalt or concrete?

The Great Salt Skate Park

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao

quote:

Homes around Salt Lake boast lush, forest-green lawns, despite the drought. And not always by choice.

In the suburb of Bluffdale, when Elie El kessrwany stopped watering his lawn in response to the drought, his homeowners’ association threatened to fine him. “I was trying to do the right thing for my community,” he said.

Robert Spendlove, a Republican state representative, introduced a bill this year that would have blocked communities from requiring homeowners to maintain lawns. He said local governments lobbied against the bill, which failed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's some peak America.txt

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
when Bob “Low Tax” Spendlove is the voice of reason

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

looking forward to heat enough to ground flights in Phoenix because no one has done the math on various planes flying through air hotter than ~123.8F

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix-weather/2018/07/24/phoenix-flights-never-too-hot-fly-out-sky-harbor-airport-american-airlines/827871002/ posted:

well AKSHULLY it wasn't too hot to fly, it was just too hot for the pilots to be sure they wouldn't crash the plane without some eggheads mathing it out. big difference. also gently caress the people on the groundcrews.

it would be hilarious if Boeing just fucks up again and "whoops yeah uh sorry airlines, you guys all have to keep any MAX flights grounded, we only calculated up to 121.9F."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm pretty sure aviation authorities in the Middle East have done the math on that.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm pretty sure aviation authorities in the Middle East have done the math on that.

Pretty sure that they only did the math on normal weight people and not on America weight people.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Tempora Mutantur posted:

looking forward to heat enough to ground flights in Phoenix because no one has done the math on various planes flying through air hotter than ~123.8F

it would be hilarious if Boeing just fucks up again and "whoops yeah uh sorry airlines, you guys all have to keep any MAX flights grounded, we only calculated up to 121.9F."
This one isn't too difficult. Just demolish some neighborhoods and build longer runways.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NeonPunk posted:

Pretty sure that they only did the math on normal weight people and not on America weight people.

The Middle East has some pretty fat countries in it. Saudi Arabia's only two slots behind the US: https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-obese-countries

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Airplanes have a max temperature rating, most commercial flights will get canceled at 120F or so.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pryor on Fire posted:

Airplanes have a max temperature rating, most commercial flights will get canceled at 120F or so.

Tarmac can literally melt

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

Tarmac can literally melt

lol as a kid in the phoenix area I used to peel this poo poo off the street during the summer:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

yeah i dont think theres much the planes can do if the runway melts into the consistency of hot mud. flight's canceled you shouldn't have been in phoenix, the city that defied god

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol as a kid in the phoenix area I used to peel this poo poo off the street during the summer:

that's a tar/polymer for filling in cracks

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

FFT posted:

that's a tar/polymer for filling in cracks

I know. During cooler times of year it would be nearly solid but in July/August you could smear it with your shoe or just peel it off

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The runways in Phoenix are paved concrete. Guess that could "melt" but that's not why planes are grounded. It's usually the smaller regional jets that get grounded as they aren't rated for temps of 120+.

https://ourairports.com/airports/KPHX/runways.html

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the city that defied god

Which city should exist

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Wolfy posted:

This one isn't too difficult. Just demolish some neighborhoods and build longer runways.

We can’t demolish the professional ice hockey rink

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Which city should exist

Many of them, but let's start right here with the hubris of man located in the middle of the loving Sonoran

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Which city should exist

if youre gonna have people you may as well concentrate them to minimize the harm

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SirPablo posted:

The runways in Phoenix are paved concrete. Guess that could "melt" but that's not why planes are grounded. It's usually the smaller regional jets that get grounded as they aren't rated for temps of 120+.

We could just have concrete highways that last forever but they cost too much

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

isn’t it that the air is thinner and thus not enough lift?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Koirhor posted:

isn’t it that the air is thinner and thus not enough lift?

Yes the air is thinner but not to the point you can't generate lift. (Think about how thin the air is when cruising at 35,000'.) It is literally the safety specifications of the airplane in the manual do not extend to those temperatures. The plane could very likely fly, it is just not rated to do so thus it isn't allowed as a safety precaution.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...ines/827871002/

quote:

It turns out it was never really too hot to fly out of Phoenix.

The airlines just needed bigger numbers.

Last summer, American Airlines canceled 60 regional flights over three days as temperatures neared 120 degrees. Those cancellations made national news, with stories that proclaimed Phoenix as the city where it was too hot to fly.

On Tuesday, as temperatures in Phoenix again flirted with the 120-degree mark, American Airlines issued a news release saying there was no danger to travelers of a repeat flurry of canceled flights.

What happened last year, the airline said, was math-related, not heat-related.

New operating limits for aircraft
When it comes to flying safely, heat matters. Warmer air is less dense. When the air is less dense, there is less lift beneath an aircraft's wings. That means an aircraft engine has to work harder and use more runway to attain the needed lift.

Airlines rely on guidelines and limits based on factors such as temperature, the weight of the aircraft and the length of the runway.

After last summer, American worked with Bombardier and the Federal Aviation Administration to calculate new operating limits for the 70-to 90-seat regional jets, the CRJ700 and CRJ900, used on flights operated by American's partners, American Eagle, Mesa and Sky West.

The 10-month review process, according to the release, resulted in the jets being cleared to fly in temperatures as high as 123.8 degrees. The previous limit was 117.86.

With that higher limit, said Ross Feinstein, a spokesperson for American, the airline expects no cancellations or delays this summer.

Feinstein said the jets themselves were not modified. Nor were there any new heat-related weight restrictions.

The only difference was that engineers calculated a new threshold under which the jet could safely operate. That level was raised by six degrees.

Safety restrictions held back flights

That means the jets last summer were grounded not necessarily because of the heat, but out of safety concerns.

“We could have physically taken off (last summer,)” Feinstein said, “but not under those safety restrictions.”

Several national and international news outlets carried stories about it being too hot to fly. A spokesperson for Sky Harbor International Airport said the office fielded some 30 requests, including outlets from Canada and France.

A similar problem occurred in June 1990 when Phoenix hit its all-time high temperature of 122 degrees.

On that day, airport traffic was stopped. The standstill was also blamed on the heat, but, again, the planes would have been able to take off.

What grounded them was safety. The operating limits for the passenger jets were set at 118 degrees.

Those tables were also modified after that incident. Boeing jets are cleared to fly up to 126 degrees; Airbus jets can fly up to 127 degrees.

Phoenix is not set to hit those temperatures.

Sometimes it just feels that way.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

Many of them, but let's start right here with the hubris of man located in the middle of the loving Sonoran

Yes great established, keep going to more cities.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

SirPablo posted:

Which city should exist

New York Fuckin' City, let's go Mets love da Mets baybee

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

if youre gonna have people you may as well concentrate them to minimize the harm

Maybe we could use a tarp as a makeshift shelter. Almost like a tent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/_AstroErika/status/1533178823335940096