Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cannibal Llama posted:

So like, were all these news outlets supposedly claiming that the Joker would lead to mass shootings actually real or was it like maybe one talking head on twitter comparing the joker to mass shooters or what and then places like this thread ran with it and started a meme about " crazy liberal media claims the Joker will lead to shootings". Because I don't remember this moral panic at all. Seems more like a moral panic about a fake moral panic if you ask me SMH.
Yes this definitely happened, and it also happened before the movie even released, based on the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Like, typing in "joker 2019 mass shooting" got me articles from Reuters, the failing NY times, USA today, sky News, and a bunch of other outlets. That was just the first page of results.

And one thing I want you to know, is the guy calling you dumb right now, is so stupid he liked the Todd Phillips Joker movie.

That's how dumb your smarmy post was you crayon eater.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Usu Kai Ken posted:

I hope Morbius 2 happens. It’s gonna be garbage again and lose money for Sony or it’s gonna embrace the memes and be a funny-bad schlock fest. Either way, we win and Jared Leto embarrasses himself.
You don't make funny-bad intentionally. If you try it comes out boring. There are few, if any, exceptions to this.

Funny-bad only works when the people involved are genuinely trying and are just incompetent.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The Anime Liker posted:

"This movie is going to cause mass shootings!!!!!"

Then it came out and the message was a Hollywood-safe "the rich are bad (if they're corrupt) and we should probably do something about mental health care maybe" milquetoast lib message.

Joker has been available on streaming for the last three weeks and look at what happened

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

How about this, top result for "joker 2019 fears of mass shootings":

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/joker-movie-fears-mass-shooting/

Thank you. I'll take the L and admit that this does resemble what everyone was saying in this thread that the media was making claims of possible mass shootings inspired by the Joker. Though this article was mostly about relatives of those who were killed in mass shootings fearing people being inspired by the movie which still feels a tad different from the claims in the thread that the media was itself openly concern trolling about mass shooters being inspired by the movie. Still I'll admit I was wrong.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat, sorry. If it makes u feel better i like your doom tag

Nah, its cool, just feel like a dummy cause I was so sure it was Haitians.

I think I'll rewatch the movie in penance.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Cannibal Llama posted:

Thank you. I'll take the L and admit that this does resemble what everyone was saying in this thread that the media was making claims of possible mass shootings inspired by the Joker. Though this article was mostly about relatives of those who were killed in mass shootings fearing people being inspired by the movie which still feels a tad different from the claims in the thread that the media was itself openly concern trolling about mass shooters being inspired by the movie. Still I'll admit I was wrong.

news stories are almost never presented as "we the media think this" but they're still choosing what narratives to amplify

it's not like they had no choice but to gather joker opinion quotes from relatives of shooting victims and write an article about it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

Nah, its cool, just feel like a dummy cause I was so sure it was Haitians.

I think I'll rewatch the movie in penance.

I'm definitely due for a predator 2 rewatch, I didn't love it as a kid but I think it'll hit better for me now.

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021

Murdstone posted:

You don't make funny-bad intentionally. If you try it comes out boring. There are few, if any, exceptions to this.

Funny-bad only works when the people involved are genuinely trying and are just incompetent.

This is Sony we’re talking about. The studio behind Ghostbusters and Emoji Movie. You think they understand human concepts like irony? What I’m saying is that there’s a very high chance that we’re getting an unironic “it’s Morbin’ time.” Like they’re not gonna try to make a funny-bad movie. They’re gonna try to make a MCU style quippy movie with a vampire with butthole palms.

Usu Kai Ken fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 9, 2022

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Venom inexplicably almost made a billion dollars so despite Venom 2 and Morbius crashing and burning there's still plenty of will at Sony to throw good money after bad

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Valve Steam Deck posted:

On one hand the precocious kid genius dies, on the other hand his presence is felt throughout the movie regardless

Yeah he dies but he never loving leaves the movie, stinking up the place with his assholery

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I watched Lord of the Flies (1990) (Mild spoilers follow)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmuCoPw5uZI
"events take place every day on our mean streets that are more horrifying than anything the little monsters do to one another on Golding's island" -Roger Ebert

This movie features some very good and necessary fixes to the book, adding more poetic lines such as:

"I bet it's really around 8 o'clock, and ALF is causing some trouble... right now..." *looks wistfully into the distance*

or

"His name's not SHITBRAIN, it's PIGGY"

or

"Major Dingledine, my new dad, said if the russians invaded the US, they would take the kids and separate them from their parents, and they might make us compete in the Olympics or something like that"

Further enhancements are the addition of a character/corpse named CAPTAIN BENSON, a poignant scene where they find an accordion floating in the sea and pretend to play it... Also trims some of the fat from the book, such as assembly proceedings, or Simon's dialogue that gives name to the book

You know, just updating the book for the modern 90's, correcting the obvious stuff that William Golding missed in his original work but is thankfully now fixed in order to preserve this film's place in history

Classic stuff

So uhh yeah, not much to say here. It looks like a made for TV movie, was this ever in theaters? I suppose it has some nice vistas of the island, but curiously suffers the same problem as the 1963 version where some scenes are shot with very limited camera angles when they're supposed to have a whole island to look at. Monty Python angles when looking up at kids guarding a spot.

Anyway, I award this book adaptation 1.5 Comfys, and a half-full serving of Lord of the Fries sweet potatoes with Belgian sauce

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
the most important thing about morbius isn't even that it's a bad movie

that's immaterial
of the very few people that have even seen it, none of what they've reported has managed to stick except that there might be a scene of a guy getting ready set to a song that's like "sex poop fart fart fart sex poo" or something

even just making fun of its actual failures as a film is kind of missing the gag
its only value is that nobody has seen it and nobody cares to

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Literally no one can confirm or deny that he says it's Morbin' time

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Anime Liker posted:

Literally no one can confirm or deny that he says it's Morbin' time

ive seen a clip posted on twitter. he says it in the clip!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Schrodinger's Morbin time.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hackers film 1995 posted:

But what if it's like "part time" and that cut wasn't in the theatrical cut?

No one knows.

They should put it in theaters again so we can find out.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Sony social media manager reveal yourself, coward. we have another job for you. this time we all promise to go see Morbius in theater but only if you change the signs to say Morbiu$

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i saw it in theaters. he actually says it 5 times throughout the film, the first coming it at 3:39. every time the entire (packed obviously) audience clapped.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

listen we will even all buy a big popcorn and a soda when we see Morbius! here, look: I'm posting a meme of the film for no money to thousands of followers. I know that looks great to the algorithm. we just need you to redub the audio of the film so Dr. Michael Morbius now has a cockney accent.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i think it is really cool that the writers were able to come up with a wholly original catchphrase like that. “its morbin’ time!” brilliant

“and the Oscar goes to…the morbius writers “
*thunderous 20 minute applause*

Usu Kai Ken
Oct 2, 2021
Wait do you guys think Jared Leto saw Joaquin Phoenix win an Oscar for a baby punchman movie through good acting and thought “hey I can do that”?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I haven't seen the new Joker because I haven't heard anyone in this thread recommend it. Actually I haven't seen any comic movie since Endgame that try to be good. I still watch the campy bad ones like Venom or Captain John Cena (whatever his name is).

I made the mistake of watching the early D+ shows I thought those shows were bad investment of my time.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 9, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

Sony social media manager reveal yourself, coward. we have another job for you. this time we all promise to go see Morbius in theater but only if you change the signs to say Morbiu$

kalel posted:

James Cameron writing "Morbius" on a white board, pauses for dramatic effect, strikes a line through the "s". all the executives go completely nuts

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

stephenthinkpad posted:

the campy bad ones like Captain John Cena (whatever his name is).

how dare u

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Captain John Cena (whatever his name is).

you know drat well what his name is

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Re: Morbius, I honestly would have thought Hollywood had learned from Snakes on a Plane that you can't just use Internet buzz to gauge hahaha I can't even finish Hollywood is a dog at a Your Own Vomit drive-thru.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Have sex, have sex
I poop my pants, my pants
I poop my pants, my tent
I poop my spam, my spam
I poop my pants and have sex
Have sex

It’s Morbin’ time!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Sony should hold online polls to decide on various lines in the sequel.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Have sex, have sex
I poop my pants, my pants
I poop my pants, my tent
I poop my spam, my spam
I poop my pants and have sex
Have sex

It’s Morbin’ time!!!

So uh, you doing anything this weekend?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Come dear Watson, there's Morbery afoot

Sherlock X Morbius (2025)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gutcruncher posted:

Twitch Plays: Write a screenplay

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching the new Kenobi and :lol: the main bad guy lady is interrogating this 4-year-old about Jedi smuggling like she's a cop trying to break a criminal.

It's like the bad guy lady lost the plot too. You're just using Leia as bait to get Kenobi why are you suddenly so worried about safehouse?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
obi wan feels like a show where they wrote all the filler episodes and then were just getting ready to write the plot for real but then they fell asleep and just had to turn in what they had the next day

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why are you guys actually watching kenobi

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They're strapping this toddler into a James Bond torture device.

I guess they had the restraint to not bring in the floating ball droid with the needles thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mallratcal posted:

Wow, someone else has seen Treed Murray. I'm no longer alone in the universe.

lol i am similarly amazed. i used to have a VHS of Treed Murray.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

IronicDongz posted:

why are you guys actually watching kenobi

gotta watch something at work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Come dear Watson, there's Morbery afoot

Sherlock X Morbius (2025)

jared leto as professor morbiarty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had to make some gifs

Here, Obi-wan's compatriot is being taken away for interrogation and escapes by doing a 3 Stooges routine with the stormtroopers

The base is now on high alert for Obi-wan and Leia. How will they escape? By putting on a giant coat and putting Leia inside it of course! I can't tell if this was supposed to be comedic. I mean I know it looks like they're trying to be funny but the music and actors treated this as if it's a real thing and it almost works so :shrug: