Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Rand Brittain posted:

That part is pretty obvious after a try or two; the hard part is that immediately upon hitting one I get slammed by magic from two of the others. They're hard to dodge because I can't see them all coming and one spell isn't stopped by blocking line-of-sight. Is there a tactic for avoiding them? Would a leather shield help?

What I do is wait in one of the corners on the entrance side of the arena for the wizards to appear, one corner in particular has really good coverage. you can stab whatever wizard pops up by you (it will almost never be the real one) then watch the others from good cover to find the real one and plan your moves. Sometimes it's best to take out one or two fakes before hitting the real one, sometimes it's best to sprint to the real one and try to burn it down as fast as you can, it all depends on your build and moveset.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Simply Simon posted:

You can destroy the clones with one hit of anything and go slow like that, or you find the real one quick and ruuuush in, one or two hits, away again

You can just use the storytellers staff to poison the crystal sage and he'll just sit there dying slowly. Pretty sure he never moves from his spot, it's how I get rid of the one in the archives without having to chase him around. You have to use it through the bookshelf.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

What I do is wait in one of the corners on the entrance side of the arena for the wizards to appear, one corner in particular has really good coverage. you can stab whatever wizard pops up by you (it will almost never be the real one) then watch the others from good cover to find the real one and plan your moves. Sometimes it's best to take out one or two fakes before hitting the real one, sometimes it's best to sprint to the real one and try to burn it down as fast as you can, it all depends on your build and moveset.

Good luck!

I just ressurect Rhea and have her take care of it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Well sure if you want to take all the challenge out of it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sway Grunt posted:

I knew I could count on Friede to smack you around a bit. I generally had more trouble with her first phase, once I figured out how to (semi-)consistently deal with her vanishing act I was able to get to the third in good enough shape.

You might consider fighting Soul of Cinder before Ringed City imo just cause that DLC's a pretty appropriate capstone to the series and its final boss is probably harder than SoC too. There's no problem continuing on after seeing the end cutscene, just don't accidentally start NG+ when you sit down at Firelink.

Ya wouldn't have been a Soulsgame without getting hardstuck on a boss.

Oh ok I was worried about starting NG+ but looks like I can just do the final boss then last dlc. Thanks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, Bloodborne was the last "beating the final boss makes you NG+ automatically" game for From.

It'll be fun when they reboot armored core and people get shoved to NG+ due to poverty.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Midir is down on NG+, thanks to the seigbraus that kept me alive long enough to finish them off. Cheers to you, onion buddy. This time, you saved me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, Bloodborne was the last "beating the final boss makes you NG+ automatically" game for From.

It'll be fun when they reboot armored core and people get shoved to NG+ due to poverty.

Thats a great little change, I usually do ng anyway but it's better to have the option to do it.

I just started Soul of Cinder, tried him for an hour, I had him at like 1%hp multiple times but I messed it up. So far in my boss ranking I would have him tied with Lothric behind NK + Sister Friede. He isn't really that hard but has a lot of hp. He is more enjoyable than Sister Friede though just because he has way more clear visuals when to attack/defend just like NK was.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
You know which game was the first to not boot you straight into NG+? Dark Souls 2. :smuggo:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

You know which game was the first to not boot you straight into NG+? Dark Souls 2. :smuggo:

It also made neat changes to the game on NG+ and is why I haven't done an NG+ since then.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

It also made neat changes to the game on NG+ and is why I haven't done an NG+ since then.

What kind? I never replayed DS2 just because how freaking long that game was but I definitely enjoyed my first run.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Rand Brittain posted:

Started this game a while back after only having played Elden Ring. I did not realize how many things about Elden Ring were taken straight from Dark Souls.

Yah Elden ring is basically dark souls 4 mechanically and thematically, they just added an overworld to it. It also feels like they finally "got it right" with what their vision/scope was for these games all along ESPECIALLY best boy dark souls 2

For those who have beat Elden ring END GAME PLOT SPOILERSit feels like Marika is basically Gwyn but inversed, she has it set up so someone eventually ushers a new age vs someone eventually renews the current age

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 9, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ulio posted:

What kind? I never replayed DS2 just because how freaking long that game was but I definitely enjoyed my first run.

There’s a couple of additional enemies thrown into some zones, the main bosses drop extra boss souls you can use to make new items, and you get a jump scare alternate intro to the giant rock spider boss. not worth playing, especially since you can get most of the same effects much, much more easily with bonfire ascetics anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

So they range from enemies where they weren't before, entirely new NG+ exclusive enemies, NG+ exclusive gear, NG+ exclusive souls and thus lore which ties to DS1 a little clearer, item changes, mimic location changes and boss fight changes (bonus adds). Do note, you can bonfire ascetic these in, which is why probably they spent time on this.

The absolute best one though is when approaching Tseldora Cove Chapel right as you approach the spider door you get ambushed by Duke's Dear Freya and damage you deal to it there before it scuttles off sticks with it into the bossfight.

DS2 tried to mess with your expectations on NG+ and making it feel fresh, whereas the other games were content with "number go up"

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
You know something is going on when you go NG+ for the first time in DS2 and die to Falconers in Things Betwixt. :getin:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

You know something is going on when you go NG+ for the first time in DS2 and die to Falconers in Things Betwixt. :getin:

And they actually do what their name implies!!!

DS2 has a lot of very bad no good decisions in it, is clearly hastily finished, and boy howdy can it be just ugly as sin in places. Scholar of the First Sin then decided hell yeah, lemme kaizo this up baby! Somehow its still got lots of good stuff in it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

And they actually do what their name implies!!!

DS2 has a lot of very bad no good decisions in it, is clearly hastily finished, and boy howdy can it be just ugly as sin in places. Scholar of the First Sin then decided hell yeah, lemme kaizo this up baby! Somehow its still got lots of good stuff in it.

I won't lie, the jank/kaizo became endearing to me. It's not great the first time round, but it makes for more hilarious/interesting replays. DS3 by comparison absolutely wowed me the first time round because it's so fluid and gorgeous, but ended up feeling too samey over time. At the end of the day, I like that each entry in the series has its own quirks.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
DS2 is so drat charming. The best menu animations and the source of permanent changes to Miyazaki's programmer art menus from DS1. He must get steamed up that so many people love cool menus and not Armored Core colored spreadsheets lol

I can't loving wait for AC6, Miyazaki cut his teeth on the Armored Core 4 expansion back in the day which really breathed new life and artistry into a stale franchise

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

skasion posted:

There’s a couple of additional enemies thrown into some zones, the main bosses drop extra boss souls you can use to make new items, and you get a jump scare alternate intro to the giant rock spider boss. not worth playing, especially since you can get most of the same effects much, much more easily with bonfire ascetics anyway.

Barudak posted:

So they range from enemies where they weren't before, entirely new NG+ exclusive enemies, NG+ exclusive gear, NG+ exclusive souls and thus lore which ties to DS1 a little clearer, item changes, mimic location changes and boss fight changes (bonus adds). Do note, you can bonfire ascetic these in, which is why probably they spent time on this.

The absolute best one though is when approaching Tseldora Cove Chapel right as you approach the spider door you get ambushed by Duke's Dear Freya and damage you deal to it there before it scuttles off sticks with it into the bossfight.

DS2 tried to mess with your expectations on NG+ and making it feel fresh, whereas the other games were content with "number go up"

Cool, definitely need to replay that. I did enjoy the game but I also had the most boring build ever. Rapier builds are the worst, it's just poke poke poke all game, it's stupid strong since you can have a shield as well but it was quite a boring playthrough in terms of my build but the game was interesting.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Pair the rapier with an off-hand curved sword or straight sword and it gets a lot better.

One of my favorite set ups in ds2 is main-hand ice rapier + off-hand blue flame, with an off-hand shield and an extra main-hand blue flame as switches. It lets you buff both weapons for massive burst damage with melee combos, has a variety of slashes and thrusts, gives multiple ranged options and keeps conservative two-handed rapier or shield pokes open as an option for bosses where you need it.

One thing Elden Ring really could use is some weapons that let you dual-wield with different categories, like a short rapier that, when dual wielded with straight swords, will take the dual straight sword l1s.

One of my dream Elden Ring dlc weapons: a dagger-catalyst that can adopt the l1 moveset of any small-medium blade it’s paired with.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Pair the rapier with an off-hand curved sword or straight sword and it gets a lot better.

One of my favorite set ups in ds2 is main-hand ice rapier + off-hand blue flame, with an off-hand shield and an extra main-hand blue flame as switches. It lets you buff both weapons for massive burst damage with melee combos, has a variety of slashes and thrusts, gives multiple ranged options and keeps conservative two-handed rapier or shield pokes open as an option for bosses where you need it.

One thing Elden Ring really could use is some weapons that let you dual-wield with different categories, like a short rapier that, when dual wielded with straight swords, will take the dual straight sword l1s.

One of my dream Elden Ring dlc weapons: a dagger-catalyst that can adopt the l1 moveset of any small-medium blade it’s paired with.

I wonder if all the rapiers have the same r1 string of just poke poke? I thought some spears have different r1 combos.

E: Got soul of cinders after a bit. Definitely a good ending boss, he wasn't as easy as DS1 Gwyn or Nahendra but wasn't ultra hard where you just quit from ending the game like some people did with Sekiro. I like it when the ultra hard bosses are side quest or optional. That way Fromsoft can go ham and not care that people won't be able to beat it.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2022

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

So when people say the sellsword twinblades are good, are they just trolling? And it's common knowledge that these things suck? Because they suck. I keep waiting for them to get good and it's not happening. Maybe if I get a sharp gem for them?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

War Wizard posted:

So when people say the sellsword twinblades are good, are they just trolling? And it's common knowledge that these things suck? Because they suck. I keep waiting for them to get good and it's not happening.

It's literally the most used speedrun weapon. Just google some videos if you suspect you're being trolled. It makes an absolute mockery of the game.

War Wizard posted:

Maybe if I get a sharp gem for them?

Well yeah. And in case it wasn't also clear: you need to invest in dex.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Also put some bleed on there or fire or whatever. What do you expect them to do?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

It's literally the most used speedrun weapon. Just google some videos if you suspect you're being trolled. It makes an absolute mockery of the game.

Well yeah. And in case it wasn't also clear: you need to invest in dex.

Ya I kinda posted about my progress with DS3, twinblades was really op, I am a souls "vet" but I usually struggle vs most bosses and never get them in first try. I think I first timed the most bosses in this game with sellsword twinblades.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Winblades are so strong that 9 out of 10 times you can blindly call out people claiming game is easy, and they'll be using the Sellsword Twinblades.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Winblades are so strong that 9 out of 10 times you can blindly call out people claiming game is easy, and they'll be using the Sellsword Twinblades.

Which is criminal when Vordt's Great Hammer exists. :colbert:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

FishMcCool posted:

Which is criminal when Vordt's Great Hammer exists. :colbert:
Spiked Mace > vordt's poopypoop hammer :colbert:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

giZm posted:

Spiked Mace > vordt's poopypoop hammer :colbert:

Had you said Great Mace, I'd have conceded that to each their own, but clearly you are a peasant. :colbert:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drat some of the areas in Ringed City are hard. So far the first boss Demon Prince wasn't that hard, I did die to him a couple of times but the regular enemies are quite annoying. The area with the giant flying enemy that shot lasers at you then in the 2nd area there is the ghost archers then there is the turtle monks that keep spamming a dmg aoe spell on your location. The DLCs were both quite challenging as usual with Fromsoft.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I’ve been replaying the game and loving it, the level design is excellent as is them constantly drawing your eye to the next area. I even enjoyed wading through swamp this time around

I’m using the zweihander which is awesome and its charged heavy attack levels even the abyss watchers

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
We're getting an official Dark Souls book from the guy who did Rogue Squadron and I, Jedi apparently.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Great atleast Vaati Vidya will have some new content for the next year.

Just beat Midir, Midir can eat poo poo, this is my most annoying type of souls boss. Where there is very little skill involved and it's a game of patience. I don't know his attack pattern seemed very poorly designed because he would do a melee attack then breath fire right under him to get you off. So with a melee build if you just play it patience he is easy but super tedious. That being said he looks super cool. As per usual dragon bosses in souls games are decent but nowhere near as good as the rest of the bosses.

So now I got 2 more bosses then I am 100% done with a base run of DS3. I gotta say the game was a breeze until the last part of the first dlc and most of the 2nd dlc. I do think it has some of the most unique regular enemies of any souls games and their designs are very gross like the mosquito men. You can definitely seem some bleed over from Bloodborne. Most of the bosses in the game were unique and had really amazing visual design. It's a great game but I think they should have added more new gameplay mechanics like the weapon arts. Usually I always do a 2nd run right after my first run but this is the one game where I didn't feel that. Maybe it's just souls fatigue or playing Nioh/Sekiro made me want faster pace than this.

E: Got to Gael, I don't know I guess I am just good vs the human bosses and suck vs monsters. I got him to like 5% hp in first try but I died, while I was stuck on Midir for 2-3 hours.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 19, 2022

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Midir is definitely harder than Gael.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

midir isn't hard to me but it's an endurance fight so there's a really long time to get impatient and gently caress up

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

midir isn't hard to me but it's an endurance fight so there's a really long time to get impatient and gently caress up

Ya I've noticed those are the worst for me, I want to dodge roll then bash attack. I hate the boss fights where you have to play to the game's rhythm. Gael is definitely cool, I love that he goes berserk as he gets weaker it's a cool idea instead of the usual oh lets revive him after you kill him gimmick this game used a lot. The design is kinda weak though looks like heavily inspired off Artorias. Like Nameless King is just a dude in armor but he is so badass looking and his presentation/aura is different than any other boss.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ulio posted:

Ya I've noticed those are the worst for me, I want to dodge roll then bash attack. I hate the boss fights where you have to play to the game's rhythm. Gael is definitely cool, I love that he goes berserk as he gets weaker it's a cool idea instead of the usual oh lets revive him after you kill him gimmick this game used a lot. The design is kinda weak though looks like heavily inspired off Artorias. Like Nameless King is just a dude in armor but he is so badass looking and his presentation/aura is different than any other boss.

Excellent phrasing there, because Gael literally becomes more like the main character of Berserk (Guts) in each phase. Miyazaki is a huge fanboy of the manga and puts homages into most games (Artorias being a prime example as is Blaidd)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

Excellent phrasing there, because Gael literally becomes more like the main character of Berserk (Guts) in each phase. Miyazaki is a huge fanboy of the manga and puts homages into most games (Artorias being a prime example as is Blaidd)

Ya it's kinda a crazy how much Berserk reference this series especially Elden Ring having many similar armors seen in the manga. I didn't realize Gael -> Guts reference fully until you brought it up but he literally has the same crossbow as Guts, red cape which Guts has in some parts and uses a GIANT rear end sword. I think before Guts loses his arm he has a crossbow thingy but I haven't read in years.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Ulio posted:

I think before Guts loses his arm he has a crossbow thingy but I haven't read in years.

He replaces the hand with a prosthetic that can mount a repeating crossbow. Luckily Gael doesn't have the cannonball arm thing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy poo poo I don't know if they changed it for DS3 but I am pretty sure in past Souls games the boss kill wouldn't count if you died. But I died on the same hit as I killed Gael but I got his soul drop and the victory screen as I died. I have gotten double ko many times in souls games but never actually has it counted as a victory. I respawned and the fog gate was gone, went to the final bonfire.

All in all, I think the game is a great improvement from DS2, by the end I was kinda bored but I don't think its the games fault, I have just played way too much Souls. The enemy design is really cool in this, so many transforming enemies really makes you respect regular dregs the first time when you don't know which ones will transofmr, each area has so many different enemies. I wish Fromsoft would add a monster compendium where you could look at the monsters 3D model because some of them are so creative like the caged bodies enemy or cross carriers.

My ranking for most fun bosses would be. Sister Friede > Slave Knight Gael > Soul of Cinders > Nameless King > Lothric. Bosses like Sulyvahn, Aldric, Abyss Watchers were really cool fights but easy. Midir was probably one of the harder bosses but I hated him because he forced you to play into his patterns way too much, it just felt like a flowchart .This was like the easiest Souls game for me but I unknowingly did use some of the most broken weapons although I did switch out from twinblades because it was too op. The DLC was super hard though and it put me back in my place.