Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
People stop and ask me questions about my BMW I4 all the time, I feel like a celebrity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

People stop and ask me questions about my BMW I4 all the time, I feel like a celebrity

They’re trying to gauge your level of brain damage after seeing the grille

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

People stop and ask me questions about your BMW I4 all the time, too. It makes me uncomfortable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

People stop and ask me questions about your BMW I4 all the time, too. It makes me uncomfortable.

“—oh she’s not my wife, she’s my kid’s dance teacher....yeah so, anyway, about THE BIG DOG DADDY’s i4—“

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

They’re trying to gauge your level of brain damage after seeing the grille

There was an iX video where the presenter said the grille reminded him of asscheeks against glass and now I can't unsee it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

priznat posted:

I've been seeing a lot of Polestar2s around lately and they are really neat lookin' cars. If I was in the market for a sedan I definitely would have that at the top of my list.

If you want an EV sedan and don't want a Tesla and can't afford any of the German options, it's pretty much your only choice.

I am desperate to test drive one but the only dealership is 40km away in a city I never go to anymore.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

If you want an EV sedan and don't want a Tesla and can't afford any of the German options, it's pretty much your only choice.

I am desperate to test drive one but the only dealership is 40km away in a city I never go to anymore.

if your in the US.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Honda is still keeping the Fit EV out of the US, aren't they?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MustardFacial posted:

Do they offer the test drive delivery option where you live? They drove a car directly to my home and let me test drive it there, it was very convenient.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I drove that distance to test drive one. Worth it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I don’t know what the average wait time for an ID.4 reservation is in the states, but if I hear nothing come Fall, that Polestar 3 might be a nice alternative. Assuming it’s not like $80K.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Almost Smart posted:

I don’t know what the average wait time for an ID.4 reservation is in the states, but if I hear nothing come Fall, that Polestar 3 might be a nice alternative. Assuming it’s not like $80K.

Is there any source of data on id4 deliveries?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Base model polestar 2 is pretty affordable, but it's easy to add like 15K on with options. I'm assuming the 3 will be similar, probably around a 50-55k start point.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Honda is still keeping the Fit EV out of the US, aren't they?

You can buy one from 2014.

There's a Fit hybrid if that's what you mean? And yes the new one is sadly not in the US. It looks so good too, such a cute little space ship.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

LOL $69k market adjustment on an f150 lightning. They entered the MSRP twice, it was a mistake, but still.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 9, 2022

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Yep im sure it was a mistake as soon as it went viral.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Base model polestar 2 is pretty affordable, but it's easy to add like 15K on with options. I'm assuming the 3 will be similar, probably around a 50-55k start point.

I wouldn't really call 50k affordable to most Americans. I know us in the EV thread are naturally doing alright for ourselves considering, y'know, we can afford these cars, but it's important to not lose site of that. The Bolt price drop as an example goes a long way towards making these more affordable.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 9, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kirios posted:

I wouldn't really call 50k affordable to most Americans. I know us in the EV thread are naturally doing alright for ourselves considering, y'know, we can afford these cars, but it's important to not lose site of that. The Bolt price as an example drop goes a long way towards making these more affordable.

That'd be $42k after the federal rebate. That's not much more than any Toyota SUV but is way cheaper to operate

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

That'd be $42k after the federal rebate. That's not much more than any Toyota SUV but is way cheaper to operate

Yeah but a corolla hybrid that gets like 50mpg is in the mid 20s.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1534634078682611712?s=21&t=lMSh73RWP4MpzaaC0Gzipg

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Yeah but a corolla hybrid that gets like 50mpg is in the mid 20s.

Yeah and you can get a bike for free off Craigslist. There’s vehicles at any price point!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah and you can get a bike for free off Craigslist. There’s vehicles at any price point!

what is the point of this post?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

what is the point of this post?

25¢

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The average new car in the US is something like $47k now. It’s definitely a problem for the economy that most people would struggle to — or just can’t — afford that, and it’s a problem for EVs that they trend above that average in most cases. That doesn’t mean that $42-50k is particularly crazy for a new car, EV or not.

SUVs were 50+% higher in price than the average new car when they started to become popular. I think that things will eventually level out, assuming we don’t devolve into a Mad Max-style warband society before then.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Wrong thread

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yes I’d prefer everyone get a bike/e bike instead of a car. That would actually help the climate crisis.

I’m saying if you’re someone of a median income, who rents and just wants an appliance vehicle it’s hard to justify spending 45k plus because you can blab all you want about tax credits but you still have to outlay the pre credit amount of money before claiming it. Then you’re going to spend 500-800 bux on upgrading your outlets at a home you don’t own.

Like Kirios said, 50k is not affordable for most Americans just because “it has lower running costs”. Then add in the other barriers people feel EVs have - which I’m not saying are legit a lot of the time. They’re still very well a luxury item.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok. There’s always a lower bar for what’s affordable to somebody, I think that is obvious.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

The average new car in the US is something like $47k now. It’s definitely a problem for the economy that most people would struggle to — or just can’t — afford that, and it’s a problem for EVs that they trend above that average in most cases. That doesn’t mean that $42-50k is particularly crazy for a new car, EV or not.

SUVs were 50+% higher in price than the average new car when they started to become popular. I think that things will eventually level out, assuming we don’t devolve into a Mad Max-style warband society before then.

Let them eat chili dogs.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is there any source of data on id4 deliveries?

My Volkswagen dealer said the average wait was about 3-4 months, but after looking around online, I found people who put down reservations last August saying they were expecting to get their vehicles this October.

I suppose it’s possible production might ramp up with that factory in Chattanooga going online, but I think 3-4 months is super wishful thinking.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I’m relocating to a new city but keeping my old job, and I’ll be dealing with a long commute two days a week - about 200 miles round trip, and telework the remainder of the time. I currently drive a 12 year old civic that’s served me well, but it’s pretty long in the tooth and quite loud on the inside. I’m expecting the AC to fail soon, which probably will be intolerable. I’m quite interested in EVs for obvious gas price reasons, but it’s probably going to be a year before we own a new home and in the meantime I would need to rely on charging stations. Are those generally more trouble than they’re worth? My commute will take me right past a Tesla dealership/supercharger, are those typically occupied 24/7?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is it back to back or something like M and Friday? 200 miles a day sounds like a lot but if you have 2 days in between to charge you can definitely plan around and stick to free/cheaper chargers closer to home or even trickle charge some of it if you have indoor parking with even a 110v outlet. Can’t speak about the Tesla chargers (because they suck like their cars!!! Jk, it’s probably theirs biggest selling point since they all just magically work on teslas?) but around me I have plenty of Chargepoint options by hime (which charge slowly) and I also have an EA fast charger closer to work that would cover 200 miles in like 10 minutes. Oh yeah as far as how busy/full they get it’s entirely based on where you are.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 9, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Velius posted:

I’m relocating to a new city but keeping my old job, and I’ll be dealing with a long commute two days a week - about 200 miles round trip, and telework the remainder of the time. I currently drive a 12 year old civic that’s served me well, but it’s pretty long in the tooth and quite loud on the inside. I’m expecting the AC to fail soon, which probably will be intolerable. I’m quite interested in EVs for obvious gas price reasons, but it’s probably going to be a year before we own a new home and in the meantime I would need to rely on charging stations. Are those generally more trouble than they’re worth? My commute will take me right past a Tesla dealership/supercharger, are those typically occupied 24/7?
Most superchargers are not full 24/7, but the are more busy than the average gas station due to the longer time one has to be plugged in at one. Probably 90% of the time when you get to one you can just pull in and start charging without having to wait in line or anything. Plenty of people get along okay using only superchargers/public charging, but it is less convenient than an ICE vehicle. EVs don't turn more convenient than ICE vehicles until you can charge at home. Also in your case needing to do 200 mile round trip might mean you need to either stop both ways for a short time, or just in one direction for considerably longer (to push the SoC high enough to complete the round trip). Note that weather and driving speed have significant impacts on the actual range you will get, although as long as you aren't doing 80+ MPH in freezing conditions a long range Model 3 will pretty much always be able to muster 200 miles from a full charge.

Also something else to consider, you can't just "fill up" a EV and then park it in your driveway and have it stay full like you can an ICE vehicle. Batteries self-discharge and or the vehicles have standby electronics that consume some battery over time (like a Tesla running sentry mode can consume up to 2% battery per hour or more). Basically if you cannot charge at home an EV may not be a good idea, it might be a better idea to just keep your civic on the road and save up for an EV for when you will have the option of home charging.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Indiana_Krom posted:

a Tesla running sentry mode can consume up to 2% battery per hour or more

Jeez, that sounds like a lot to my ears.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
My BMW I4 discharges like 1% a day. Wtf is going on at Tesla

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah that doesn't sound right. I've left my EV6 unplugged a few nights and it loses barely anything?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Jeez, that sounds like a lot to my ears.

That's much higher than I've ever seen. My rule of thumb on road trips is that sentry mode uses 1% every 3 hours.

The reason is that the cameras are hooked up to the autopilot computer, which was not really made to be a dashcam. It's a cool hack that they repurposed it to have a dashcam without having to change the design of the car, but the price of that cool hack is pretty steep battery use, since a really beefy computer has to be powered on the whole time.

If you disable sentry mode, it uses about much battery while parked as a Nissan LEAF.

e: Everything else posted so far is solid advice, though. I can't think of anything to add.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 10, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Actually...

There is a "cabin overheat" mode that can run the HVAC fan and, as an option, the A/C compressor. I park in Phoenix regularly and have never turned on the A/C overheat protection, and it only kicks in when the cabin gets to 100F (I think), but this might add to the battery drain. In the "just the fan" mode that I have enabled, and with Sentry on, I've never seen more than 1% every 3 hours.

There's also here's a "dog mode" that runs the whole cabin at normal temperature. And older Teslas don't have a heat pump for heating.

So, yeah, if you park in the winter in Siberia and turn on dog mode, you might pull 2% per hour. But I'd argue you're still outperforming a gas car in this situation, since the gas car would still be running the engine at 800RPM.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Took delivery of my Model 3 today.

It is a piece of poo poo, like the Mach-E GT before it.

We will see if it is less of a piece of poo poo in the ways that I care about the most.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
What’s the trap speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Took delivery of my Model 3 today.

It is a piece of poo poo, like the Mach-E GT before it.

We will see if it is less of a piece of poo poo in the ways that I care about the most.

GDI BWBD post a photo