Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

i know a few people (including myself) with one or both parents who were enthusiastic apocalypse preppers long before it was cool, and all are coping ok psychologically with climate change, compared to the control group of people with normal parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

T-Paine posted:

Why do adults think it's so important to lie to children about stuff like climate change, sex, capitalism, etc.? All it does is make them not trust you when they learn what a load you've been feeding them. Kids aren't that fragile god gently caress it.

best to let kids learn for themselves that everyone is lying to them all the loving time

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i was told "by thirty you'll be roaming an irradiated wasteland at the total mercy of the LORD!" with the same general optimism and positivity other kids are told they'll become a doctor or take over the family business

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Evis posted:

best to let kids learn for themselves that everyone is lying to them all the loving time
also this, lol

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Homeless Friend posted:

lol they ain’t shutting down poo poo. we will go in a killing spree if that happens. i will bomb a nuclear power plant and irradiate the west coast cause the ladybugs told me to do it. its just true

My dog told me 2021 was the last normal year in a dream, "enjoy it while you can"

I cant wait for the forever hurricane and the soon to be roaming thundercloud that just constantly boom boom booms all over earth and we gotta eat 3 times a day? Who made the eating rules? I would like to speak to the manager of reality

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Evis posted:

here in Canada we call the greens “Tories in teslas” (Tories being the conservatives)

Ayup, exact same crowd as in Finland then.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i know a few people (including myself) with one or both parents who were enthusiastic apocalypse preppers long before it was cool, and all are coping ok psychologically with climate change, compared to the control group of people with normal parents

My parents were - are - preppers for the inevitable war with Russia, the collapse of global supply chains, and climate change causing food insecurity.

They have been that for several decades.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
some men just want to see the coal burn mr wayne

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

endlessmonotony posted:

My parents were - are - preppers for the inevitable war with Russia, the collapse of global supply chains, and climate change causing food insecurity.

They have been that for several decades.
you and i are in a similar situation with medical problems (though your level of physical disability sounds more significant than mine :() and have both had to come to terms with the fact that a crumbling society won't consider us high priority for survival. the constant despair looks like a lack of coping from outside, but it's not, it's just evaluating the situation from all angles and trying to find a way to live through it. that's not considered psychological resilience from a capitalist perspective, but in the end, wanting to survive is a pretty important metric for "wellness"

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jun 9, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

you and i are in a similar situation with medical problems (though your level of physical disability sounds more significant than mine :() and have both had to come to terms with the fact that a crumbling society won't consider us high priority for survival. the constant despair looks like a lack of coping from outside, but it's not, it's just evaluating the situation from all angles and trying to find a way to live through it. that's not considered psychological resilience from a capitalist perspective, but in the end, wanting to survive is a pretty important metric for "wellness"

I can stand with a cane, and do gardening as long as I have somewhere to sit.

And the docs told me I had healed enough to breathe without assistance reliably.

I won't enjoy society crumbling, but I won't die immediately.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

endlessmonotony posted:

I can stand with a cane, and do gardening as long as I have somewhere to sit.

And the docs told me I had healed enough to breathe without assistance reliably.

I won't enjoy society crumbling, but I won't die immediately.
:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Wakko posted:

isnt it june now? did i miss a memo

meltdown season gonna last longer than expected this year

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

The Vinja Ninja posted:

My dog told me 2021 was the last normal year in a dream, "enjoy it while you can"

i trust this more than most of the sources in the thread

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

platzapS posted:

a lovely turn of phrase

we out here adapting and being creative

sucks to fight on the same battlefields when everyone’s loaded with talking points

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
amoc time

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

when the war (the main event) does happen, some incredibly interesting lurkers are going to come out of the shadows and start calmly teaching the rest of us how to shield from nuclear fallout, set broken bones and slaughter livestock in the same tone we now use to discuss growing our own leafy greens

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Cloks posted:

climate collapse IS hecking cringe

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

when the war (the main event) does happen, some incredibly interesting lurkers are going to come out of the shadows and start calmly teaching the rest of us how to shield from nuclear fallout, set broken bones and slaughter livestock in the same tone we now use to discuss growing our own leafy greens

if our problems involve nuclear fallout, then if whoever's nuked the USA allocated 3-5 warheads to high altitude detonations for EMP then the forums are going to be as fried as everything else involving electricity on the north american continent

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

luckily, my breed is naturally immune to cringe

Complications posted:

if our problems involve nuclear fallout, then if whoever's nuked the USA allocated 3-5 warheads to high altitude detonations for EMP then the forums are going to be as fried as everything else involving electricity on the north american continent
lol that's a good point, but it's nice to hope for a miracle

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

can’t read about AMOC without thinking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_amok posted:

Amok syndrome is an aggressive dissociative behavioral pattern derived from Malaya and led to the English phrase, "running amok."[1] The word derives from Southeast Asian Austronesian languages, traditionally meaning "an episode of sudden mass assault against people or objects, usually by a single individual, following a period of brooding, which has traditionally been regarded as occurring especially in Malaysian culture but is now increasingly viewed as psychopathological behavior".[2]

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

There's a decent chance the sun is just going to do that for us in a few years anyway.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

don't worry, we can rub it in their faces in a few years when the destruction is immense and unavoidable. it'll be hilarious!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Complications posted:

Hmm. I'd better get busy and download the Internet while it's still available.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

can’t read about AMOC without thinking about

sounds like a mass shooting without readily available guns

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hexigrammus posted:

maybe helpful to this end: https://www.kiwix.org/en/

please someone do the needful and make an awful kiwix

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Hexigrammus posted:

make sure to keep your backups in a faraday cage

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Reportedly, as long as there's 24 hours' warning power companies can safely shut the grid down and disconnect wires and generally mitigate the largest scale EMP effects. So there'll be some hope for power after that goes off. Nuclear war gives maybe 40 minutes' warning. I'm sure there are emergency shutoffs and whatnot, but also Carrington events wouldn't be aiming megatons at strategic targets like power plants specifically. Although when the dams in the Southwest go dry I wonder if nukes aimed at them will be retargeted since there won't be a tsunami to inflict secondary damage, or a water supply, or a functional power plant to annihilate, or if they'll stay targeted as a potential source of turbines for after-war salvage.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Complications posted:

Reportedly, as long as there's 24 hours' warning power companies can safely shut the grid down and disconnect wires and generally mitigate the largest scale EMP effects. So there'll be some hope for power after that goes off. Nuclear war gives maybe 40 minutes' warning. I'm sure there are emergency shutoffs and whatnot, but also Carrington events wouldn't be aiming megatons at strategic targets like power plants specifically. Although when the dams in the Southwest go dry I wonder if nukes aimed at them will be retargeted since there won't be a tsunami to inflict secondary damage, or a water supply, or a functional power plant to annihilate, or if they'll stay targeted as a potential source of turbines for after-war salvage.

much more likely that internet in the Free World gets owned without warning and minimal impact on Evil World internet

https://twitter.com/euronews/status/1095223095680393216

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Talking about good news.
It's not actually that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlIfdLE8nQw

Confusedslight has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Jun 9, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

Talking about good news.
It's not actually that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlIfdLE8nQw

lmao this is the first video up next for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5zxYDHwf-Y

on the app if you hit the [bb] button at the top when you are posting you can embed youtube videos from a mobile link. It will autofill everything for you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

the white hand posted:

it all clicked for me reading the latest

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/opinion/ukraine-putin.html

> Churchill’s point, Mandelbaum has argued, was that “wars can change the course of history and great battles often decide wars. The battle between Russia and Ukraine for control of the area in eastern Ukraine known as the Donbas has the potential to be such a battle.”

> In more ways than one. The 27 nations of the European Union, our key ally, are actually the world’s largest trading bloc. They have already moved decisively to slash trade with and investments in Russia. On May 31, the E.U. agreed to cut off 90 percent of Russia’s crude imports by the end of 2022. This will not only hurt Russia but also cause real pain for E.U. consumers and manufacturers, already paying astronomical prices for gasoline and natural gas.

> All of this is happening, though, at a time when renewable energy, such as solar and wind, have become competitive in price with fossil fuels, and when the auto industry worldwide is significantly scaling up production of electric vehicles and new batteries.

> In the short run, none of these can make up for the drop in Russian supplies. But if we have a year or two of astronomical gasoline and heating oil prices because of the Ukraine war, “you are going to see a massive shift in investment by mutual funds and industry into electric vehicles, grid enhancements, transmission lines and long-duration storage that could tip the whole market away from reliance on fossil fuels toward renewables,” said Tom Burke, director of E3G, Third Generation Environmentalism, the climate research group. “The Ukraine war is already forcing every country and company to dramatically advance their plans for decarbonization.”

tl;dr One Big Push will show our allies it's worth it to accelerate into the green future by turning ukraine into a festival of death lasting many years

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

oh there was a qcs thread, i thought arf just came in here to speak truth to power of his own accord

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh there was a qcs thread, i thought arf just came in here to speak truth to power of his own accord

i think arf came around first, but don’t quote me on that

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
these dudes are showing some poo poo on lake mead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjHSHFHokGs
with some compare and contrast clips from only a week or two earlier
:rubby:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Evil_Greven posted:

"stuff's gonna get real interesting really soon here in the southwest"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

oh wow qcs was right things arent actually that bad yet

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
"it's wild. it's kinda scary in a way." it's okay, junior...just :rubby:

:yooge: lake mead is a waste, lake mead is a big, fat mistake. :yooge:

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

Evil_Greven posted:

Definitely a must watch vid to lol lmao yourself to sleep.

That lake is already dead and we're just seeing the convulsions. Vegas lol.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Evil_Greven posted:

thats legit terrifying if i lived in areas that relied on that id be looking at moving if i could
are there even any plans for when it stops being able to provide water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
a large section of the nation losing its water supplies seems like a big problem, maybe the federal government should do something?

nah, im sure the market will sort things out