Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if the regulation only applies to devices that that charge by direct wire contact, then it won't apply to lightning anyway. the lightning connector that contacts the phone is not a wire. it's rigid array of electrically configurable metal pads. a totally different thing folks, we're talkin pure innovation here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So since iOS put in the Tracking Yes/No prompt, has anyone found an app that genuinely does give you a better experience if you allow it to track? A new simple pleasure in life is seeing the apps popup pleading you to hit yes on the upcoming prompt. Naaaaah.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

EL BROMANCE posted:

So since iOS put in the Tracking Yes/No prompt, has anyone found an app that genuinely does give you a better experience if you allow it to track? A new simple pleasure in life is seeing the apps popup pleading you to hit yes on the upcoming prompt. Naaaaah.

I may be a weirdo, I tend to allow tracking :shrug:

The 'gives a better experience' nag screens are a total lie, I just don't mind seeing more relevant ads and getting my data mined lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i noticed navigation apps are a lot more useful when you let them access your location

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
iOS 16 works surprisingly well. No battery issues or glaring bugs. If I didn't see the new lockscreen, I wouldn't know I was running it.

Except for my loving home banking app. Why even, it's a signed image.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Combat Pretzel posted:

iOS 16 works surprisingly well. No battery issues or glaring bugs. If I didn't see the new lockscreen, I wouldn't know I was running it.

Except for my loving home banking app. Why even, it's a signed image.

I've run into this before with financial apps. I assume the app does some sort of version check and if you're not running the app on what figure is some sort of whitelisted versions, it won't run.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Being able to copy and paste a subject's image away from the background in Photos is voodoo. Everybody go try it out.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Gay Retard posted:

Being able to copy and paste a subject's image away from the background in Photos is voodoo. Everybody go try it out.

Whaaaaat thanks friend. Is this newest iOS or all?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
It's in the iOS 16 beta.

Public beta's not until July if you don't want to mess with the dev stuff.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

I usually don't bother with public betas but drat do I want this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

canyonero posted:

It's in the iOS 16 beta.

Public beta's not until July if you don't want to mess with the dev stuff.

Been a while since I had a pre Public beta, are they okay for daily driver devices?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

cage-free egghead posted:

Been a while since I had a pre Public beta, are they okay for daily driver devices?

It's definitely a YMMV thing. Most apps seem fine. On my iPad, Teams totally crashes all the time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Quote is not edit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Gay Retard posted:

Instant .png creation is a cool rear end idea

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you use the sleep tracking function on the Apple Watch it insists that you let your phone go into sleep focus mode, which mutes your alarms even if you go into the focus setting and make an exception for alarms.

That’s a loving enormous flaw in the whole thing Apple because I need my alarm to wake me up when I’m done with the sleep that you are tracking, why is this a thing?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

“If you want good sleep don’t use an alarm”

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Infinite sleeping mode :lol:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you use the sleep tracking function on the Apple Watch it insists that you let your phone go into sleep focus mode, which mutes your alarms even if you go into the focus setting and make an exception for alarms.

That’s a loving enormous flaw in the whole thing Apple because I need my alarm to wake me up when I’m done with the sleep that you are tracking, why is this a thing?

You sure about that? My alarm on my phone goes off and my watch does the tap thing as well.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have an alarm set or did you actually set your wake up time? It may treat them differently?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you have an alarm set or did you actually set your wake up time? It may treat them differently?

it's my wake up time so maybe that's why it works for me.

I do set alarms at other times though like if I'm not working that day, I'll set a different alarm and I do believe they go off if my phone and watch are in sleep mode. I'll play with it this weekend for sure.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

You sure about that? My alarm on my phone goes off and my watch does the tap thing as well.

Yeah, all I get is the silent tapping from my watch which might as well be nothing at all because I’m a heavy sleeper.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve tried it both ways. Alarms just silently do nothing, wake up time does the silent tapping on the watch. If I set an alarm for one minute after my wake up time then that goes off normally because the sleep focus state switches off by then, but that’s a stupid as gently caress workaround for a problem that shouldn’t exist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This is way too much fun

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Is this on iOS 16? Or 15? It’s, you know, daytime right now so I can’t 1000% confirm but I’m awfully sure my phone alarms work during sleep focus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is way too much fun

This is a weird cat

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

fourwood posted:

Is this on iOS 16? Or 15? It’s, you know, daytime right now so I can’t 1000% confirm but I’m awfully sure my phone alarms work during sleep focus.

It’s night where I am, and I’m still awake despite my sleep focus kicking in 40 minutes ago. Just set a separate alarm to my default Wake Up time for a few minutes ahead, turned off my phone screen and made sure my watch screen was off to boot.

The alarm went off as normal, with sound and vibration on the phone as well as the wrist tapping from the watch. The phone even had the physical silent switch toggled to on. Currently on iOS 15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always get alarms in Sleep mode. it even has its own alarm?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My alarms go off now but there have been betas where they haven't. My only advice is update if you can.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m on 15.5, no beta at all. I tried an experiment and turned off silent mode on the watch and that resulted in my watch playing a quiet alarm that wasn’t much better than the tapping, but still absolutely nothing from my phone until the backup alarm set for a minute later.

Maybe I’ll delete all the settings and start fresh, just for funsies.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s 2022, why on earth does the weight in “Medical ID” in the Health app not auto update based on my logged weight that shows in the rest of the app from weight tracking apps or smart scales or whatever.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is way too much fun

How are you doing this? Mine will only try to copy text.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How are you doing this? Mine will only try to copy text.

You need the iOS 16 beta

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

ShoeFly posted:

You need the iOS 16 beta

Gotcha. I had not read that that was something new in the new iOS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess that’s how they’ll do the cut out for lockscreen pictures, so you can have part of the foreground slightly overlapping the clock if you want.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I was wondering about that. Looks like they have a new FindSubjectInPhotoSuckItPhotoshopMagicWandKit

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My alarm definitely worked during sleep focus mode this morning.

I’m on 15.5, no beta at all. I tried an experiment and turned off silent mode on the watch and that resulted in my watch playing a quiet alarm that wasn’t much better than the tapping, but still absolutely nothing from my phone until the backup alarm set for a minute later.

Maybe I’ll delete all the settings and start fresh, just for funsies.
Have you accidentally set your ringer volume to very low? I think that’s what it uses to control the alarm volume, so maybe there’s a chance you’ve just secretly silenced your alarms? Otherwise yeah, kinda sounds like a bug.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

on that note my 'adjust ringer volume with buttons' function was bugged for a long time. i always leave it on max volume ringer but with adjust with buttons turned off, and a few times my ringer was barely audible and those settings had changed and were changing via the button despite being disabled.

its fixed now but it was annoying. for the record i leave my phone on silent unless im expecting an important phone call so its justified :colbert:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What’s going to be the most durable iPhone for an 11 year old? I’m looking at 2nd gen SE’s largely because they’re fairly cheap but would absolutely grab something better. A good case will obviously be a thing too.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

fknlo posted:

What’s going to be the most durable iPhone for an 11 year old? I’m looking at 2nd gen SE’s largely because they’re fairly cheap but would absolutely grab something better. A good case will obviously be a thing too.

Just get whatever and buy AppleCare.

Or just buy them the cheapest used phone you can find that supports iOS16 and throw it in an otter box case.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fknlo posted:

It's extremely not the XR/XS or 11.

2nd Gen SE is ok, not nearly as durable as the 12, but AppleCare is a way better bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A kid is going to be more likely to drop a phone that is relatively oversized for their hands/ pockets - the pocket part is important because if a phone doesn’t fit in your pocket without uncomfortably poking you in the leg you’ll be more likely to want to clutch it in your hand when you’re not actually using it. I’d get an SE; and put it in a good case.